The Shadow Strikes the West

50th of Vhalar 716

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.
Alistair
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: 1000
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

50th of Vhalar, Arc 716

From his room within the Coven's quarters, Alistair grew unruly. He'd begun to ponder, curiously, the next step of the Rupturing - advanced Compression, beginning with the Sundials. The mage rose to his feet, stepping to the corner of the wall and twisting his palm as an energy flowed through the base to the tips of his fingers. From the energy formed a Scrying portal, a thing he could use to see and speak to Damien from a distance. He'd connected it to the Lich's room, and from it they had been speaking consistently despite their difference of continents. It was one of the few things that brought him solace in the isolated predicament he'd found himself in, lost in Ne'haer with no friends to speak of.

He did seem to catch Damien's attention, though, which was a blessing. "Hey, Alistair," the Lich said, stepping towards the Scrying portal and waving to his apprentice. A tinge of excitement rose in the nobleman; Alistair could see him as if he were merely beyond a glass window, outside, trying to catch his attention. Unfortunately, a distance of thousands of miles separated them now rather than an inch of glass. Still, the Scrying was a wonderful thing. It'd been years since he'd used it actively, and especially from across such a vast distance. The last time he'd used Scrying in such a way was back in Korlasir, in the Empire, when he needed Ellasin's help to return to the West. He barely recalled the conversation they shared, but it was muddled and messy as if a poorly done piece of watercolor art. The clarity of the Scrying now was evidence of how far he'd come.

"Damien," he said excitedly. "It's good to see you. How are things in Rynmere?"

"Tiring," the Lich replied. "I'm very bored. Trying to entertain all of these apprentices is vaguely similar to when I was left in charge of the toddlers at the Cathedral of Yaralon. There's no Ellasin to spice things up with her megalomania, nor a single Alistair to pose me overtly dramatic questions about the meaning of life or whatever you worry about these days..." The man laughed, though Alistair could only roll his eyes.

"Mmhm," he said. "Well, I'm wondering about your assistance. I'm trying to build my first Sundial, and though I've commissioned the base from one of the blacksmiths in Ne'haer, I haven't actually done much work on it. I haven't done the coordinates, haven't planted the conduit, haven't even figured out how to properly read the Idalosian Global Index without stuffing myself with candle fluids and lighting the fuse..." That was again overt melodrama, but it wasn't far from the truth. And Alistair was one of the best doctors around - possibly in the world. His patience was legendary. But, reading about global coordinates was something that surpassed even those of legendary patience.

The Lich sighed. "I'm not a Rupturer, you know," he stated. Alistair nodded his head. "Yes, but you're a Transmutationist. You have to do all sorts of boring things with your transmutation circles. All the lines and symbols and glyphs and numbers. I imagine it's similarly as tedious. Can't you at least provide me entertainment? You said you've been bored, right?" To that, the man merely nodded with a frustrated look. It wasn't Damien's idea of fun, obsessing over mathematics and their relation to magic, but such was Rupturing. As fancy and enamoring as it was, the magic was filled with dull obsessions with things he couldn't even properly process. Math, the science of space and distance, astronomy and theories regarding compression of cosmic energy . . .

It was a mess of a magic - one ultimately complex. It made all too much sense that Reyard had been the one to modernize it, as the man himself made little sense at all.
word count: 676
Alistair
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

"Okay, so," he started, opening the pages of the Idalosian Global Index. He moved himself and the book closer to the scrying portal, so that Damien could at least see some of the words as he went through the pages. "It says here that Sabaissant, in Rynmere, is located five-thousand, two hundred and forty kilometers above Idalos' equator. It's listed to be eight-hundred and sixty two kilometers east of the center of the two continents, which is considered to be some degrees east of Etzos." He continued to read. Sabaissant, impressively, had quite a few pages on the index, as did all of the capitals of the Duchies of Rynmere. Andaris was of course described with the most in-depth information, but he wasn't planning to return there by means of Sundial. That place was a mess at the moment, with the aftermath of the war.

"What about distance from Ne'haer?" Damien asked. Alistair nodded and flipped the pages, searching for the index of the locations between one another, rather than merely their relation to the "center" of the map of Idalos.

"About seven-thousand, four hundred and thirty two kilometers. So . . . what do I list on the Sundial? What even do I write?" he sighed. The Lich bit his lower lip, running to the back of his room to search for a codex of information regarding the specific magics. He thought it might have information related to Rupturing, especially considering it had been written after Reyard's breakthroughs in the magic.

"Right here!" he exclaimed. "You're supposed to carve it all in . . ." he began to say.

"I know that," Alistair replied. "But in what format? Do I write specific kilometers beneath a name? Or..." he stopped. Damien flipped the pages.

"Seems like it, quite honestly," he said. "Maybe we should try it," the man brought his palm beneath his chin. "I mean - if you think about it, it should be quite easy to see if it works. Just carve in the coordinates, cast a portal and then throw an object in. You can send it into my room," he said with a grin. Alistair nodded. It wasn't a bad idea at all.

He searched his belongings for an unimportant object. Determining that he hadn't really brought anything entirely insignificant, he looked into his bag and brought out a gold nel. It was just one - not too dear of a sacrifice. He set it atop a small desk in the corner of his room within the Coven crypts, then picked up the Sundial - gently - and brought it to the center of the room. He grabbed a flat, square object from one of the drawers that he'd kept by his bed, and similarly the carving knife he'd purchased to draw onto his dials.

The flat object would keep his lines straight, and the knife was sharp enough to carve into corundum, with force applied. And Alistair knew how to apply force, with all of his strength training. Theoretically, this wouldn't be difficult. Just tedious.
word count: 514
Alistair
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

He began to draw the lines on. A line down the edge of the dial, like a tick mark, though it was difficult with the particular way his dial was shaped, and furthermore with the material it was made from: corundum. Carving the ticks in was an act of strength and patience. He pressed down into the dial's surface with the knife, leaning it into the straight object beside the knife to ensure the line was drawn straight. The carving process was not as simple as merely running a quill down a piece of parchment, though. It felt more like carving up steak - he'd brought it back and forth to further indent into the material of the dial, ensuring that the line was made. And it was. He had a singular, straight line embedded into the dial. It faced the direction of Sabaissant, Venora, from where the dial was standing. Now, he had to write in the distance.

Seven-thousand, four hundred and thirty two kilometers. 7432 km. He began to draw the numbers in first, checking in with the Global Index to ensure the metric that he was supposed to use. Apparently the dial operated with kilometers alone, as if the distance one wanted to travel was less than a kilometer, they could quite easily just use a Compression portal regardless. In fact, they could do so for several miles - a Sundial was only necessary for vastly long distances.

"Do you have chalk?" Damien asked Alistair as he continued to carve in the coordinates. He'd just drawn in the last line of "4", and was settling his hands to write the third number.

"Why?" the Venora asked in return.

"It's a good practice with sundials, I imagine. Draw around the place it's planted. If someone moves it - for whatever reason - or if it gets knocked off balance somehow, you can put it back into its exact place so that the coordinates and directions aren't screwed up."

It was a smart idea. He'd have to remember to do that after he was done carving in the numbers. Though chalk would fade, over time. It was evident that keeping a Sundial - as well as initially setting one up - was quite difficult.

"Alright," he stepped back. He'd just carved in the two, the final digit. Now he'd have to figure out the distance between Sabaissant and Damien's location within the Coven base. Considering the calculations he'd done before to estimate his travel speed to the Crypt in Venora, he imagined it'd be somewhere around 7432.3 or so - and with the way his dial was set, he could adjust the positioning of the scope to account for his slightly lower altitude. Alistair did all of these things, patiently working as Damien stared bored into the scrying window.

"We're on it!" he exclaimed, perhaps uncharacteristically. Alistair had been bored to tears by the practice of drawing in a single coordinate, and so he was ready and eager to put this all to the test.

"I'm going to open a Sundial Compression Portal and see if we've done it correctly," he informed the Lich. Placing the conduit safely into the center of the dial, and pulling a metal veil over it to ensure it remained untampered, Alistair weaved energy throughout his body and focused it into the palm of his hand. Waving it over the surface of the dial, a field of compressed space expanded and tore into the matter before his eyes. A black, blazing doorway manifested before him and beckoned his passage.

Turning to his bed, the man grabbed his gold nel and threw it into the portal. Looking eagerly into the window he'd created into Damien's room, he watched to see if it had made it to the other side, or even if the portal had opened.

And it did - he could see Damien dancing right beside the portal, and the coin flying in and whacking him on the side of the head. Alistair quite heartily laughed.

"I think we've done it, then," he stated in triumph. The only test was to step through, now, and hope to come out on the other side rather than being ripped apart. Alistair tensed up, clenching his fists. He walked into the portal, and next thing he knew, Damien was but a foot away.

"We did it," he said happily. The Lich smiled in response, offering Alistair a hug. "Yes. Now, go back through before it closes, or you'll have to buy another dial and do it all over again." The mage nodded, and as he passed through the portal, it would close behind him and bid the Lich a goodbye. The singular gold coin remained on his floor, Damien considering it his commission for standing through and watching Alistair carve onto corundum for the past few breaks.
► Show Spoiler
word count: 825
Whisper
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Prophet
Profession: Storyteller
Renown: 394
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Alistair

Peer Review

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 0/5
Structure: 5/5

Awarded Knowledge

Rupturing: Advanced Compression
Rupturing: Maths and Science
Sundial: Advanced Compression
Sundial: Geography
Sundial: Marking the Precise Location
Sundial: Requires Precise Distances
Sundial: Travelling Through the Portal

Extras
Loot & Losses [/color]xxxxxx Injuries
None [/color]xxxxxx None[/color]

Comments

Ye have many Knowledges already and jumping back and forth between your CS and this thread in order to be new and innovative and give new knowledge became overwhelming I’ve done the best I could to not double up on your knowledge, but if there are any that you want rephrased to better describe what you feel Alistair has learned in this thread, let me know.

A lovely little thread to read - your style is delightful. Thank you.

As you can see, I have provided feedback and reasoning behind my review. If you have any questions, comments or criticism about your review, feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it.
Thank ye.
word count: 171
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Ne'haer”