• PM To Join • [Library] Scholarly Encounters (Sintih)

0th of Cylus 0

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Solsarin
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 32
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Library] Scholarly Encounters (Sintih)

23 Vhalar, 716

Sol slumped in his chair, his head propped up by a spare hand while the other held a tome upright, his eyes lazily scanning the text. "Twisted Arcana, A Guide to Ether and Emea," read like the standard text, plenty of long winded passages ranting on various exercises. Though bored, Sol gobbled up the bits and pieces with a ravenous hunger. He paused on occasion and lifted his head so that he could pen a few of the choice bits. A full ink vial sat next to a tower of books, each stacked as haphazard as the next; the stack threatened to spill at any moment, but somehow it remained upright and undisturbed. Sol lifted his pen, dabbed it in the vial, and scribbled a passage on spare parchment he kept close to his desk. His desk indeed. No one bothered much to clean it anymore. The last time Sol spent a good break chewing out the assistant whom misplaced the books. They gave him a wide berth since then.

The initiation process is perhaps still one of the largest mysteries pertaining to magic. A single Awakening will not do for a mage, as for each Discipline a new initiation must be undertaken, and the initiator may not awaken more than one such domain at a time. An interesting note, as it raises the question of what exactly is woken up within the host?

Sol paused. He frowned and glanced up from the book and took down another series of notes, his lettering slanting with the lazy strokes of the pen. His own research required no formal script or even legibility, so long as he could interpret his own ravings. He ended each line with a series of lines in some odd successions; part of a code he worked on, one to better organize his thoughts. When the ink ran dry he clicked the metal nib against the desk and made an odd clicking noise with his tongue against the inside of his mouth. Initiation, awakening. The scholar Conselhart mentioned something about a spark? Was that it? Sol turned his attention to his stack. Guides, journals, theories. He grunted. No Conselhart. Someone was at hit his pile again.

An annoyed grunt proceeded the wooden groan of the chair. The man stood and adjust his all-black garments - today he abandoned his cloak for a coat, its hemming trimmed with a pleasant, golden garnish - then stalked his way passed his desk. The wide, open expanse of the library's main floor soothed him. Despite the time at mid-day the establishment was almost empty with the majority of the population consisting of the staff. And Sol, of course. His boots thunked over to one of the larger shelves and scanned the contents. Coeal, no. Corallian? Some idiot misplaced another one. Sol rolled his eyes and withdrew the book on logistics, placing it two spaces over where it belonged. He backed tracked then. Conselhart. Perfect.

So grabbed "A Spark of Ingenuity: Science and Arcane, the Meeting of Divine Power and Mortal Knowledge" and turned about without so much as a glance in his new direction.
word count: 526
Sintih
Race: Yludih
Profession: Student
Renown: 110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Like always, the library was quiet. It didn't matter what time of day it was or which trial of the season, there was never any noise here. Sintih liked coming here partly because of that reason but mostly because the knowledge here was literally stacked to the ceiling. From a young age, his mother had showered Sin with all sorts of knowledge and that had awoken in him a thirst for more that he couldn't quite control. Off days from his training were spent either here or challenging others in tactical combat simulations. But today was a library day. Sin let his fingers run across the books and tomes gathered here as he made his way around the library to the magic section.

Much like the university, the library only provided books and texts on the theoretical part of magic. Sin had never really understood why this was or why the city had such strict rules regarding the use of magic but for now he stuck with them. Dressed in a set of common clothes in brown and white coloring, Sin mixed in quite well with most people outside this building. In here, he may have stood out a bit due to the quality of fabric he was wearing. His first choice was the basic text The Original's Legacy, a thesis written by an unknown author and used as a starting text for all of the magical classes at the university. The only reason Sin read it at the library was that his own copy at home had been read so many times that it was starting to fall apart. It was rather dry reading but Sin found that it set his mind in the right mood for magic and so he read the first chapter of it every time he did anything magic related, whether it be practicing or reading on the subject.

With the first book in hand, Sin continued on through, going over titles and picking out books he hadn't read yet. His first book quickly turned to three and then five and grew to ten. Balancing the stack on both arms, Sin used his chin to keep the tower from tilting over. Why it wasn't a particularly large or heavy tower, for Sin ten books were near the limit of his strength to sustain for longer periods of time. And he hadn't even started on the new book section the library kept. There usually weren't any good new reads relating to fields of study, mostly stories or history books which weren't too interesting for Sin, but he always checked when he came by. Managing a quick move with his hand, Sin turned the top book's cover over to the first page, not wishing to waste any time.

While his feet and his vision from the corner of his eyes managed to guide him through the rows of shelves that kept books, scrolls, notes and various other sorts of writing implements. He had even seen stone slabs somewhere with strange letters carved into them. All knowledge here was kept in good condition and was rewritten every so many arcs but there were only a few members of staff who worked here full time and plenty of people borrowing books. Sin was one of the latter, loving the knowledge but disliking the work of a scribe or librarian. He turned around the corner as he was halfway through the first passage on the page, smacking book stack first into someone he hadn't noticed.

With a loud gasp of air, Sin tumbled back. In a reflex, his arms waved around to try and keep his balance, tossing all ten of his books over the little hallway. In the trill it took Sin to go from standing up to being sprawled across the floor, he thought about four things. First, the scolding he was going to get from miss Aberdeen for dropping books. Second, how he hoped none of the books fell on their pages, folding them and leaving a mark. Thirdly he hoped he wouldn't feel any of this in the morning. And lastly Sin finally thought about the person he had hit. Why had they been standing in his way right around the corner? Did they not notice him coming around the corner there?

With a grunt, Sin pushed himself up on his elbows and in a seated position, looking at the other man across the books spread out on the floor. From the shelf next to them, more scrolls and texts had been knocked down, most likely from one of Sin's books hitting them. Two pages were slowly drifting down to the floor as the sudden chaos settled. On his hands and knees, Sin crawled closer and started picking up books and loose papers. "I am so sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going. Are you alright?" It wasn't quite clear whether Sin was talking to the book he was looking at while he said it or to the person he had just bumped into.

Grabbing a few of his own choice books first, he started stacking them up on the ground next to him while ignoring the other scrolls and books that had dropped for now. It was only when he saw the title on one of them that Sin's attention was drawn away from his own books. A spark of Ingenuity lay right in between the pile of books. Before it even registered with himself that this other person might have been borrowing this book, Sin picked it up and put it on his own stack of books. He had tried for over a season to get this title but it had always been lent out when he had tried to get it. "Again, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have rushed around the corner like that."
word count: 989
Solsarin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Solsarin stiffened. On instinct the former soldier planted his feet and assumed a forward stance, his shoulders squared and head down. He prepared to defend himself, focusing, his mind forming a void to exert his will- he paused. The library came into focus. Before him he saw a wisp of a man? No, a blue person. A. What was it? E- something. Evisy? Elvisi? Eidisi. A thin, almost wilted Eidisi. He knew little - if nothing - about the blue people, so much so that he referred to them by their skin color. Embarrassing. Sol made a note to check out a book on the subject.

To the matter at hand. A few books shifted out of place and a scroll knocked him over the head. His brow furrowed and his lips curled into a snarl. Idiot. Sol bent to a knee and gathered various items, piling up an arms-fulll before summarily depositing them back on their perspective shelves. In the shuffle he missed the thieving of his singular goal.

"I'll survive." He quipped as he rub out the shoulders of his coat. Book dust played hell with the black material. "There's no need to apologize. My reverie tends to leave me distracted, I imagine the fault was mine." His voice held an almost bored tone to it, hidden beneath a rasp of a baritone. Sol finished pruning his clothing and examined the remaining items scattered about the floor. The librarians could see to the rest of the mess. He spied several useless tomes; Cold Hearted Monsters of the North, Sibel's 1001 Baked Goods, none of which he cared for, but what of Conselhart? Damn it all. A sneer took the man's countenance.

There, amidst the clumsy blue-person's stack he saw it. Little thief. His eyes skimmed over the other various titles. Mimsey's Magic? Foolish.

"If you don't mind please return Conselhart to me. You appear to have enough, ah. Studious texts."
word count: 329
Sintih
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Sin rubbed his chest, where the pointy corner of one his books had jabbed deep in between two of his ribs. Unlucky, most likely a bruise for several more trials. He winced lightly as he poked the spot, trying to determine how much pain he was in. Nothing he wouldn't survive. Sin glanced to his tower of books, happy to see all ten plus his newest addition towering up next to him. Then his attention went to the remaining books spread over the floor. He grabbed a few of them up and pushed himself up on his feet, looking over their titles and then at the ones spread out before him on the shelves.

He put the few books and tomes he had in hand back where he imaged they were supposed to be but resolved himself to explain to one of the librarians what had happened here, hoping they would finish up the rest of the work. As long as he didn't leave anything lying on the floor, Sin felt he had done more than enough to clear up the mess he had made. Listening with one ear, Sin didn't really pay attention to what the man was talking about, assuming it be some sort of apology on his end as well. It wasn't until the name of Conselhart came up that Sin froze. "Sard." The word went through his mind before he could control it. Slowly putting away the last book from his hands, Sin turned to the man.

"You were borrowing that? I was really hoping it would finally be my time." Sin bent over to pick up A Spark of Ingenuity. "Always unlucky when it comes to this one title. I've been waiting for it for over a season now. Well, I guess you saw it first." Sin extended the book towards the man, holding it out for him. With a disappointed look on his face, Sin attempted to hold onto the book for just a trill longer by squeezing down on it when the man went to take it from his hand. The trill passed and Sin finally let go with a light sigh under his breath. The disappointment on his face slowly faded as he went to pick his own stack of books up from the floor.

Balancing his tower with both hands once again, Sin turned back to the other man. "We better go and tell someone about our little run in here before some staff member here thinks we're trying to run away from the mess." Sin started marching towards the front desk of the library, praying to whichever immortal was listening that miss Aberdeen wasn't on duty at the moment. "So...you have an interest in magic then? Or a university student with required reading homework?" Sin wasn't really sure what the age limit of the university was but this man looked to be around the same age as himself, although others rarely guessed his own age right due to his looks.
word count: 509
Solsarin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Solsarin's eyes glazed over. A wave of irritation washed over his countenance as the blue-person turned away from him and finally he offered the tightest of smiles at the acquiescence to his own request. Emotions, he mused, exhausted him beyond a march through a bog. He much preferred his relative hermitage. Sol reached out and clasped the book, one eyebrow arching at the momentary resistance. What an odd creature. His shadow seemed to flicker, almost as if it moved on its own. That was impossible, of course.

"Borrowing. Yes." He somehow smoothed the annoyance from his response. "You've been waiting for it due to me. My notes are almost complete, I imagine you'll be able to acquire it shortly; assume the seven other students who've pestered me for it aren't waiting behind one of these shelves." Sol muttered some obscure curse then fell in line behind blue-man - he assumed that a foreign, blue-person name would be beyond his own eloquence - his own footfalls something of a clumsy, thick thud. Upon reaching the desk Sol took the lead, breaking into a gaggle of cluttered librarians as if he reigned supreme among them. His actions met with sneers; one woman in particular shied away, the rest - when the realized who it was - all collectively sighed.

"We," he included blue-one in brief, twirling motion. "Collided by the -C's, there." His gesture evolved into an extended finger. "Cleaned up some one of it, too bothered to do the rest." Rude, yet honest, Sol's antisocial streak cut through tension like a blade. At the dispersion of the grouping and some rolled eyes and scattered remarks latter Sol turned his attention back to Blue.

"University? No. I'm a scribe and I have an, ah. Interest. An interest in the study of the magical arts. I'm writing a book but I have the combined magical talent of a muskrat and a sandwich. Besides," he paused, glancing longingly at his desk in the corner. Some fool loitered there, eyeing his collection of tomes. "I dislike paying monks so they can tell me to read books." He glowered at the rogue scholar sniffing about his 'territory,' he shoved Conselhart under one arm and started forward, wide strides taking him back to the desk.
word count: 387
Sintih
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Sin decided that his initial impression of the man may have been a bit too hasty. He wasn't that bad. Gruff and rough around the edges, sure, but not too bad. He was nice enough to explain to Sintih why the book he had been wanting to read for such a long time had been borrowed from the library all this time. If he understood it correctly, this man was working on some sort of paper or essay on the book. Sin quickly added said notes to his own to-read list. It was never a bad idea to read ideas of others regarding theories. Not only could it give you a better understanding of the text, it also gave you an insight in the writer's view on the subject, or even the view of the time he wrote it in.

When they reached the library desk, Sin opened his mouth to speak but the man stepped up. Even from the side, Sin found him to look angry, especially swelled up with authority like he was now. With his deep voice, the man explained how they had had an accident but when he explained why they needed to go and clean up their mess, Sin couldn't help but blush. He hadn't been too bothered to do the rest, he had just been too focused on the book at the time. "I could... ehh... help?" The group of attendants behind the desk had moved away quickly, not listening to Sin's words. He realized that maybe his initial impression of the man hadn't been that off.

When his feet made him walk after the man, Sin couldn't really grasp why. He was rough, insulting and possibly belonged more on a battlefield somewhere than here in the library, but his feet just carried him to the man's desk. "A book, hmm? Interesting. What's it about? Any school of magic you prefer to write about or is it a general theory or something like Conselhart?" The mention of the muskrat and sandwich had brought a small smile to Sin's lips as he spoke but he managed to bring it under control by the time he finished his questions. He knelt down to put his own tower of books on the ground. He would have been more respectful and put them on the table but somehow, this desk had managed to be completely covered in books, scrolls and loose papers.

"Where are my manners, asking all these questions as a stranger. My name is Sintih." Sin put his right hand up next to him, palm upwards. "Sin." Then his left hand came up. "Tea." With a soft clap he brought both hands together in front of his chest. With a small nod of his head, he greeted his fellow scholar. "Sintih. An honor to meet you." Sin smiled at the man in front of him. On one hand, the polite thing for the man to do here would be to introduce himself as well but considering his first impression up to now, Sin didn't really expect him to do so. "As you might have guessed, I'm a fellow scholar, interested in the promise of magic. Although, I'm not doing anything as grand as writing a book, like yourself."
word count: 556
Solsarin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Sol shooed away the onlooker, gesturing in a sort-of half wave before he rounded the desk and set himself down. A brow arched as Sin followed him, silver eyes only now taking the time to investigate the Eidisi. Blue, yes, but wisp-thin with an almost ghost-like quality. No pupils, only a ghoulish, white glare to return the introspective stare. Interesting. Sol made a note to check out a book on the race - hearing of them was one experience, yet to encounter one? He realized he stared. How rude.

"Solsarin." The scribe removed the book from under his arm and placed it on the desk, over the already open tomes. He placed a finger between the pages and opened it to the center with an utmost certainty of his intent. In common, the chapter read: The Heart of the Mage, or the Spark of Magic. "Solsarin Ilduan. I doubt the honor, I've no published works to speak of." Another pause. He drew a spare steel nib and hooked it around the page before parsing through the rest of the book. "But yes, with the interest I had guessed; though it's rare to meet those that hold such interests. Most Rynmerians snub their noses once they come to understand my research. As much can be expected."

There. A mark denoted the specific page - not one left by himself, Sol came upon this section during his first encounter with the book. At first they seemed more rantings, but Conselhart made his best observations in this, perhaps the most useless bit of texts.

"In truth there is no singular subject to comment on. Upon Initiating, or so it's called - apparently, there is some sort of Awakening within the mage, and I've yet to encounter a discipline that better explains the, ah. Process. Even the tomes written by mages themselves shed little light on what, exactly, occurs to in the moments during the first breath of divinity. Is it forced, or is it a coax? Conselhart remarks that a mage must give a piece of himself to kindle the embers of magic in another, but then the fire will grow on its own. If nothing existed before how then does that flame expand? Is there another energy that mortals feed it, or does it merely expand to some preexisting guise?"

Sol paused, his baritone of a rasp fading out. He exchanged a glance with Sintih. That name rang in his ears, as foreign and odd as the color of the man's skin. "Truth be told, I quite fancy the art of Dustforging. I've acquired a rare tome that outlines it in vast detail."
word count: 447
Sintih
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Sin stood on the other side of the man's desk, looking over it. He saw books and tomes of various authors but each one on the subject of magic in some form. Some of them he recognized, having read them or having them at home, but many of them were either too far out of his knowledge zone or too specific for Sin to have started on them already. There was no use in reading about the specifics of aberration and its inner workings when you yourself were a rupturer. His eye was caught by the center of the desk where seemingly recent notes were lying.

His attention got pulled away when Solsarin introduced himself. An rather interesting name, unlike all the Bobs and Johns he knew in town. "Well, honor has little to do with having published a book, I'm afraid." Sin shrugged as he looked at the page Solsarin had opened the book to. He couldn't read any of it, as it was upside down for him, but simply looking at the inside of Conselhart was exciting for the young scholar. "It's true that our field of study is not widely accepted but that shouldn't stop us, who do accept it, from comparing notes." Sin mentioned off hand as he tried to crane his neck to see the book better.

When the other scholar started reading from the book, Sin froze up. He stared at the book while his ears were straining to pick up every syllable, every letter he could hear coming from the man's lips. Like a child receiving a birthday gift, Sin's eyes sparkled with glee. He had heard of Conselhart's view on magic, on one hand advocating for it yet on the other hand describing it like fire, questioning where it comes from and how it got there. Famous for likening the spark of magic to the beginnings of a fire Conselhart's thoughts on the subject of magic had always been a fascinating thing for Sin. Hearing of it now was an incredible and unexpected gift.

"I've always been fascinated by his view on magic. The flame, the questions he brings up while answering." Sin's eyes met with Solsarin's and the excitement was clear within them. "Do you think he's right? That initiating in magic might be equal to starting a fire within oneself? I've heard there used to be a lot of discussion over this at the university, although I haven't been keeping up to date lately. I find his views fascinating, even if I don't think that Conselhart is right in saying so. He does ask a lot of important questions on the subject." Realizing he was about to start rambling on the subject, Sin stopped himself short and instead looked around for a chair to pull up, getting ready to make himself comfortable for what he hoped to be a very enlightening conversation. The remark about Dustforging seemed to have been put aside as inconsequential in the moment by the young man.
word count: 517
Sintih
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

About a break later, Sin finally managed to muster up enough willpower to overcome his excitement of having found a fellow magic scholar. The lack of Conselhart under his arm still bothered him but he would camp outside the library if need be in order to get the book first. Screw all those university dupes who required it to succeed in life. Sin swallowed and bowed his head towards Solsarin. "Thank you for taking the time and enlightening me." He knelt down and lifted up his tower of books from the floor where he had placed them. "I will leave you to your work now. May Treid and Ralaith bless your work." Sin turned away from the scholar and started walking towards the counter.

His mind kept going back over the conversation of the past break. The more he analyzed it, the more he realized that Solsarin had done very little talking of his own, mostly listening to Sin and spurring him on with precise answers at key moments, like he was helping Sin draw the thoughts from his mind and bring them out into the world. He'd learned a little bit more about Conselhart's writings from a passage or two Solsarin had read for him. Sin had listened carefully and absorbed each word like a sponge. So far, all he'd heard about the book had been true.

Sin put his stack of books down on the counter, his mind still stuck on the conversation. Conselhart had brought up a lot of questions in his own mind. Sin was impressed to see that the man's reputation was true, for once. Conselhart was known and read by many for just that trait. He didn't provide many answers in his book but raised a lot of questions for the reader to think on by himself. Many people had tried to answer those questions in studies and books responding to Conselhart's but none had managed to answer all the questions yet.

Of course, there were rumors about some text at the university, kept hidden away by the dean, that was said to have all the answers but who in their right mind would believe that. "...an't take so many." Sin was pulled from his thoughts, lifting his head up to face the man behind the counter. The librarian pushed his glasses up his nose as he shook his head, obviously quite accustomed to people living in their minds here. "You can't take out so many books at once. As a resident, you can only take two per seven trials." He gave Sin the look, like he was wasting the man's time with this.

Glancing quickly over the books, Sin picked the two he hadn't read yet, figuring he could simply read his own worn copies at home on the other ones. Setting the two aside, the man put the remaining books on a shelf behind him, ready to be placed back where they came from. After going through the same old process, Sin picked up his two remaining books and headed out the door. By the time he stepped out the doors, his mind was back on Solsarin and their discussion. For a moment, he wondered if he should have asked the man for some contact information but figured he could probably find him here if he ever needed him. The man's work had looked far from finished.
word count: 576
Siren
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Profession: Poet
Renown: 0
Office

Contribution

Name: Solsarin

Knowledge:
Writing: Taking Notes
Book: Twisted Arcana, A Guide to Ether and Emea
Domain Magic: Awakenings
Domain Magic: Initiation
Book: A Spark of Ingenuity: Science and Arcana, the Meeting of Divine Power and Mortal Knowledge
Sintih: Trying to borrow A Spark of Ingenuity
Sintih: Fellow scholar
Sintih: Interested in magic
Philosophy: The Process of Awakening
Rynmerians: Magic not widely accepted

Loot: Please deduct parchment and quill and ink from your ledger if you haven’t already.
Injuries: N/A
Fame: N/A

Story: 3
Collaboration: 5
Structure: 5

Name: Sintih

Knowledge:
Book: The Original Legacy
Strength: Carrying heavy books
Solsarin: Rude but honest
Solsarin: Scribe
Solsarin: Interested in studying magical arts
Solsarin: Writing a book
Solsarin: Not talented with magic
Solsarin: Likes dustforging
Rynmerians: Magic not widely accepted
Counselhart: Reputation is true

Loot: N/A
Injuries: Bruised side that will heal in 3 trials
Fame: N/A

Story: 5
Collaboration: 5
Structure: 5

Comment:
Sin, your writing is lovely and really easy to read. I don’t see any structure problems other than the odd little mistake that may have been missed in editing. You did a good job wrapping things up in a natural way.
Solsarin, I deducted from story because there wasn’t a completion on your part, which caused Sin to have to wrap things up with a second post. Otherwise, you write well and it reads smoothly and your structure is fine.

This was such a great collaboration effort with Counselhart and their scholarly interests. It made it really fun to read!

If you feel that I've missed anything or have any questions or comments, please PM me!
word count: 281
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”