Suvaraih Arcaelis

Imperial

0th of Cylus 0

This is where CSes are moved to when they are marked as "Approved". If this accidentally locks your CS, don't worry, just PM a prophet and we'll unlock it straight away!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Suvaraih Arcaelis
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Legionnaire
Renown: 30
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Suvaraih Arcaelis

Suvaraih Arcaelis

Birthday: 34th Trial of Vhalar, 694th Arc
Birthplace: Small Imperial Town
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 220lbs
Eye Color: Silver-blue
Hair Color: Blonde

Appearance

Suvaraih comes from fine stock, blessed by the excellent genes of his forebears. He is particularly tall for a human, a fact that he makes no attempts to disguise with his posture; Broad shoulders set wide and his back held straight. His bearing is that which is more befitting an officer than a simple recruit, as he holds himself with his head held high and a natural air of command due to the self-assurance he exudes. He keeps himself well-groomed whenever possible, which his pale blonde locks trimmed neatly and meticulously styled in a manner that is both aesthetically pleasing and functional, the backwards sweep serving to keep his vision unobscured. He is a decidedly handsome man, with features that are refined without being effeminate. High cheekbones flow to a strong, sharp jawline and a proud nose, set above a mouth that is well accustomed to smiling. Perhaps his most striking feature is the pale, almost silver blue shade of his eyes.

Personality

To understand Suvaraih, you must first know that which defines him; His complete dedication to the Eternal Empire. He believes, wholeheartedly, that the Empire is a bastion of order and civilisation in a world where chaos is rampant, and that the only viable means of ensuring order is to unite all beneath the banner of the Eternal Empire. Everything he is and all that he does is in service to the Empire, and this intense devotion informs how he approaches almost everything in life. It dictates his views on situations and even people; Can this benefit the Empire? Will this person cause trouble for imperial citizens or do they have the potential to be groomed into a valuable asset?

This attitude extends to himself, causing him to strive to better himself so that he can be of more use. Studying tactics, practicing combat, learning about enemy cultures and honing his mind are just some of the ways that he seeks to improve himself. He possesses great focus and dedication, perfectly willing to subject himself to the same gruelling ordeal day after day in order to forge himself into a more fitting instrument of imperial will.

This is not to say that he is a passionless automaton, of course. He is possessed of a great depth of compassion towards fellow citizens of the empire, slaves included, tending towards considerate and helpful behaviour no matter their station or role. He is quick to laugh and is equally swift to smile, and he can be quite charming, often comporting himself in a pleasantly endearing manner. He is very supportive of any that seek to improve themselves in any way, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, and he is a great believer in the idea that everyone has something they can contribute. The more mundane occupations command as much respect from him as any member of the military, as they are doing their party to serve the Empire just as much as the Imperial Legions. He also has quite the passion for romance novels, no matter how poorly written or tawdry they may be.

One thing that Suvaraih enjoys above all else is the thrill of combat. He lives for it, for the intense, electric thrill of every thundering heartbeat when he had a foe to face. His enthusiasm for war is so intense, in fact, that it can often be a tad unnerving, as he can be prone to letting loose laughter of pure, unrestrained delight upon the battlefield, a euphoric smile of pure ecstasy gracing his lips even hip deep in blood and gore. This is not to say that he is a berserker or even particularly cruel to his opponents, as he fights with remarkable discipline and treats his enemies with the respect they are due.
Last edited by Suvaraih Arcaelis on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:39 am, edited 10 times in total. word count: 679
Suvaraih Arcaelis
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Suvaraih Arcaelis

History

Preface from Suvaraih's War Journal

I suppose that before I delve into the meat of things, it would be an idea to give a glimpse into my formative years, partially to give a better frame of reference for why I am who I am, and in part out of sheer self-indulgence. Forgive me, for beginnings are rarely interesting.

Born with a Sword

My father was a legionnaire of middling repute- An average record of service with no noteworthy commendations to render him exceptional, though the same could not be said for one of his childhood friends, a fact that would come back to haunt me later in life, but I digress. My father was content in his mediocrity, believing that he was doing enough to serve the empire by merely belting on his gladius and standing around in his polished armour. So content was he, in fact, that when an enemy spear lanced through his leg, he accepted the offer to withdraw from the front and take a comfortable post at a garrison in a small town well within the safety of the Empire's inner regions. A better man, I think, would have instead stayed on to help in another capacity.

I won't bore you with the minutiae of how my parents met, but suffice to say that my mother was a custodian of the town library, who had never ventured outside the comfortable confines of her home town. My father was a 'retired veteran' who had valiantly taken a wound in a comrade's stead while serving on the harsh frontier of the imperial expansion, or so he professed. She found him to be terribly exciting, I'm sure, so it should come as little surprise that not a year after they met, I came into the world. I would like to say that I was born in the midst of a portentous storm, with sword clenched in tiny hand and a steely glint in my eye, but alas, I was born on a dreary Vhalar trial, with no sword in my pudgy fist. I was told that I wailed horribly.

Toy Soldiers

I have little memory of my younger years, so I must rely on what my parents recounted to me, so I'm certain there is no small amount of bias colouring their views, for which I must apologise.

According to them, I was a bright, inquisitive child, full of vigour and possessed, even then, a keen interest in war. My father would often, laughingly, regale his friends with stories of how I would assault the family barghest with my toy gladius and infant-sized tower shield. Poor Brutus was such a patient and good-natured beast that he suffered my attentions with good grace, though I'm sure the clumsy thrusts of a child's wooden sword barely registered, given how thick a barghest's hide is. Lucky for both of us, I suppose. When I wasn't busy torturing poor old Brutus, I was either playing with small figurines of soldiers, or out pretending to be legionnaires with the other children.

As I grew older, I relented in my constant bothering of Brutus, which I am sure he was grateful for, and instead began to read. My fondness of romantic tales stems from the abundance of such books my mother owned, which I devoured when I had an inclination to relax for a time. Usually, however, I pored over tomes dealing with my favourite subject; War. From a basic guide to what is expected of a legionnaire, to analyses of imperial battle formations and treatises on the nature of conquest, I read them from cover to cover with a desperate hunger. The toy soldiers from my earlier years proved useful for practicing and studying the various scenarios from the books, and I would often task myself with solving tactical problems with the little wooden men, much to my parent's amusement. Playing with the local youths evolved into gathering them together after our schooling in order to practice formations and to brawl with one another in the dust. It was an early taste of the camaraderie between soldiers, in a way, and I found it to be a fine thing indeed. As for my education, I excelled when it came to the more martial subjects, and my tutors praised me, telling me that I would make a fine legionnaire one day. I couldn't have been happier. My parents, on the other hand, were not so pleased.

Stalling Tactics

My continuing dedication to striving towards my dream of serving in the legions was beginning to concern them, as while it was all well and good to play soldier, my parents considered the real thing to be too dangerous by far. My father's limp was proof of such, according to them, and I would later find out that they conspired to keep me from active service.

When I finished my education, I was eager to sign up to the legions as soon as I possibly could. My mother and father, however, bade me to wait, and instead spend some time rounding myself out so that I could be a more proper imperial citizen, which would behoove me well should I be promoted and be honoured with meeting the more prestigious members of the Empire, or so they argued. For some reason, I listened.

What followed was three long, dull years of being educated on the 'finer things in life'. This, I discovered, meant attending dinners, balls and other frivolous events, in the name of moulding me into a man of refinement and culture. It bored me nearly to tears, but it at least gave me a high tolerance for enduring such social events. I can now attend a formal dinner with good grace. I've even managed to stop vividly picturing stabbing my conversational partner in the eye with silverware, for the most part. Mother would be proud.

Finally, however, I had had enough. I would tolerate no more of their stalling tactics, and despite my parents' protests, I enrolled in the imperial military. Basic training awaited me, and I could not have been more eager to finally immerse myself in the first steps of becoming a legionnaire. It did not disappoint. The training was unforgiving and the instructors as warm as the heart of winter itself, but I relished every minute. Every ache and pain, every barked command was proof that I was well on my way to serving the empire as I'd always wanted, an extra step closer to seizing my childhood dream. Or so I thought.

Stagnation

As well as I was doing, once again my parents schemed to keep me from the front lines. While it was now clear to them that I would not be dissuaded from my course, my father had other resources to call upon. I mentioned earlier that he had a childhood friend that distinguished himself in the military, and it was this friend that was begged to pull some strings to keep me from throwing myself on an enemy sword somewhere in a place with a name nobody could pronounce. Unfortunately for me, they succeeded. Upon graduating form training, I was informed that i would not, in fact, be going to war, and that I would instead be serving the empire in another, but equally important role. Guard duty.

I can still feel the unusual combination of my stomach sinking to my boots while my chest filled with pure, white hot rage at once again being denied my true course. I railed against my parents, and I think you would have been hard pressed to find a more bitter young man in the entirety of the empire. I would not, however, disgrace myself by shirking my new duty, no matter how much it rankled.

For five long, mind-numbing years I served as a guard. I chafed at the inactivity, at the keen awareness that I could have been well into my career as a legionnaire while I stood, standing guard in some quiet little town, desperate for some small taste of action. I was not idle during those years, of course, as while I was forced to swallow the bitter pill of my lot in life, I was not content to give in to indolence. So I spent much of my free time striving to keep the skills that I'd learned from legionnaire training sharp, going through the forms and reading what I could to keep the lessons fresh.

Salvation

My salvation, as it turned out, was in the form of an old and grizzled guard by the name of Avitus. Tough as old leather and about as friendly as a rabid volareon, he was a true veteran, having served in multiple campaigns over the years as a legionnaire. To begin with, he had little time for me, as for all intents and appearances I was another lazy waste of air that begged out of true service to the empire in favour of a cushy post standing around all day. It didn't take long for the old bastard to notice my intense dissatisfaction with the lot I had been forced into, and we got to talking. After I'd given my story and conveyed how frustrating I found being stuck there, he decided that I might not be a complete loss altogether. This change of attitude manifested as Avitus telling me about his time as a soldier, and I hung on to every word. He'd never admit to it, but I could tell he was pleased to have someone so interested in his tales. He even suffered my endless deluge of questions amiably enough, for him.

Truth be told, I loved the old man. He was older than dirt and had no time for anyone, but he was, to me, a man who had gladly given everything in service to the empire, and even when he became too elderly to serve in the legions, he insisted on doing something, which is how he ended up as a guard. We grew closer, in our own way, and he was instrumental in keeping me from falling prey to despair. Unfortunately, age was a foe no man could hope to best, and Avitus' time came in my fifth year. He grew frail, tiring so quickly that he could no longer perform his duty as a guard, but he hung on to life long enough to do me the greatest kindness any soul has ever shown me. It turns out that he'd been keeping a few secrets from me. For one, he had apparently been sending letters to any military officer that would read them, trying his best to get me into a legion somewhere. It paid off. One of his old friends turned out to be in charge of a new project within the army, a unit of fresh soldiers to be sent to Yaralon. There, they would learn from the combat-hardened natives and study, enduring what hardships they must in order to emerge from the other side as an experienced, elite squad of veteran troops. Unusual, certainly, but I heard read of Yaralon and knew that it would likely be a place I could come to love. I will not cheapen his gesture by pretending that it did not move me to tears; he had worked for some time to ensure my dream became reality, and I could not thank him enough.

Lastly, he gave to me an old, worn gladius that was older than myself by far; his very first weapon. It has served him for many years, in countless battles, and as he had no children of his own to pass it on to, he bestowed it upon me. He bade me to have it restored, so that even in death, he could still help spill the blood of the empire's enemies, in his own way. He passed not long after that, and I had little time indeed to grieve before I was collecting my belongings and preparing to set out o, filled with pride and eager to finally, finally become a legionnaire. Yaralon awaited.
Last edited by Suvaraih Arcaelis on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:21 am, edited 10 times in total. word count: 2058
Suvaraih Arcaelis
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Suvaraih Arcaelis

Mechanics
Skills

Physical

SkillProgressPoints AcquiredTotalProficiency
Blades (Arming Sword) FT 25/100 25[RB] 25/251 Novice
Endurance 12/100 10[SP], 2 [NH] 10/251 Novice
Shielded Combat 20/100 20[SP] 20/251 Novice

Mental

Discipline 5/100 5[SP] 5/251 Novice
Tactics 13/100 10[SP],3 [NH] 13/251 Novice
Reading 2/100 2 [NH] 2/251 Novice
Intelligence 3/100 3 [NH] 2/251 Novice

Social

Leadership 5/100 5[SP] N/A Novice
Etiquette 3/100 3 [NH] 3/251 Novice

Trade

Filler N/A N/A N/A N/A

Magic

Hone 10/100 5[SP] 10/251 Novice

Language

LanguageFluencySpoken/Written
Common Fluent Spoken
Atvian Broken Spoken/Written

Knowledge

Warfare

[columns=2]
  • Blades: Basic Combat
  • Tactics: Combat Formations
  • Gladius: Practice with a Toy Sword [NH]
  • Tactics: Playing with Toy Soldiers [NH]
[/columns]

Scholarly

[columns=2]
  • The Eternal Empire: Military
  • Raskalarn: Immortal Empress
  • Reading: Tactics by Other Tacticians [NH]
[/columns]

Mental

[columns=2]
  • Placeholder
[/columns]

Arcane

[columns=2]
  • N/A
[/columns]

Miscellaneous

[columns=2]
  • Endurance: Not Only of the Body, but of the Mind [NH]
  • Avitus: My Salvation [NH]
  • Etiquette: The Frivolous Things in Life [NH]
  • Suvaraih's Father: Liar and Coward [NH]
[/columns]
[/style3]
Last edited by Suvaraih Arcaelis on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:09 am, edited 19 times in total. word count: 396
Suvaraih Arcaelis
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Suvaraih Arcaelis

Ledger
Accounts

QualityQuantityCost Total
Starting Funds +100 GN 100 GN
House Cash-in +250 GN 350 GN
Arming Sword Good 1 -40 GN 310 GN
Round Shield Normal 1 -5 GN 305 GN
Plate Helmet Normal 1 -20 GN 285 GN
Plate Armour Normal 1 -40 GN 245 GN
Plate Pauldrons Normal 1 -20 GN 225 GN
Plate Gauntlets Normal 1 - 20 GN 205 GN
Plate Fauld Normal 1 -20 GN 185 GN
Plate Greaves Normal 1 -20 GN 165 GN
Tent, 2 Person Normal 1 -30 GN 135 GN
Javelin Normal 1 -5 GN 130 GN
Throwing Dagger Normal 5 -2 GN 128 GN
Bag
Waterproof, Heavy Duty Canvas, Shoulder Straps
Normal 1 1 GN,4 SN 125 GN, 6 SN
Canteen Normal 1 -3 GN 122 GN, 6 SN
Combat Knife Normal 4 -20 GN 102 GN, 6 SN
Small Cooking Pot Normal 1 -3 GN 99 GN, 6 SN
Inventory

Armaments

• Arming Sword (Good)
  • Gladius(Heirloom)
  • Round Shield
  • Plate Helmet
  • Plate Armour
  • Plate Pauldrons
  • Plate Gauntlets
  • Plate Fauld
  • Plate Greaves
  • Javelin
  • 5 Throwing Daggers
  • 4 Combat Knives
  • 1 Small Cooking Pot

Apparel

• Coat[SP]
  • Shirt[SP]
  • Pants[SP]
  • Undergarments[SP]
  • Boots[SP]

Equipment

• Waterskin[SP]
  • Eating Utensils (2) [SP]
  • Tinderbox[SP]
  • Canteen
  • Tent, 2 person

Miscellaneous

• Soap[SP]
  • Comb[SP]
  • Razor[SP]
  • Toothbrush[SP]
  • Toothpaste[SP]

Skills

SkillPoints AwardedPoints SpentTotal
Blades (Arming Sword) 25 [RB] 25 [RB] 00
Starting Package 50 00 50
Discipline 00 5 45
Endurance 00 10 35
Leadership 00 5 30
Shielded Combat 00 20 10
Tactics 00 10 0
Reading 2 [NH] 00 00
Tactics 3 [NH] 00 00
Endurance 2 [NH] 00 00
Etiquette 3 [NH] 00 00
Intelligence 3 [NH] 00 00
Renown

SourceRenownTotal
Human +10 10
Human in the Empire +10 20
Soldier +10 30
Last edited by Suvaraih Arcaelis on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 am, edited 24 times in total. word count: 416
Suvaraih Arcaelis
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Suvaraih Arcaelis

Thread List