• Memory • [Andaris Farms] The Doran will see you now

0th of Cylus 0

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Sintih
Race: Yludih
Profession: Student
Renown: 110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

[Andaris Farms] The Doran will see you now

Saun, 27th, 701st Arc
Andaris, Andaris farms

Her foot was tapping on the front porch. Sin could hear it right through the window. Ten arcs old and he Sin felt more imprisoned than a mouse in a trap. He had tried multiple times to get out of bed but the one time he had actually managed to get out he had collapsed on the floor right next to it resulting in a scolding from his mother and direct supervision by the queen of the house. Beira, his mother, had been looking after Sin for all his life. The only times he had been out of her sight had been when her husband, Sin's father, had been keeping an eye on him. But that had ended when Sin had collapsed some dozen trials back. Since then he had been in bed with people coming and going every day, checking in on him, testing him and telling his mother all the cures they had for what was ailing him. And yet, here he was, still stuck in bed.

The tapping noise stopped and the wood creaked as Beira walked back inside and into his room. He could tell she was both worried about him and wondering why whoever she was waiting for wasn't here yet. She sat herself down on the side of his bed and Sin looked up to her. She was quite tall for a woman and years on the farm had toughened her up quite a bit. His father had told him once that she used to be beautiful and feminine like a princess but that she was now more of a dragon. His father had laughed at his own joke all the way back home. He was an idiot like that sometimes. Beira pulled her hair over one shoulder as she patted Sin on the leg, through the fabric of the sheets he was under.

"He'll be here soon and then you'll feel better right away." The first time she had said that, Sin had believed her, but that was almost half a season and some uncountable number of healers, experts and doctors ago. Now, he just nodded and smiled at her. She reached her hand out and brushed some loose hairs out of his face. "I know you think I always say that." His mother had mind reading powers, Sin was convinced of it. She always knew what he was thinking or when he was planning something she didn't approve of. His father had agreed with him. The dragon of House Beira could read your mind! But she always smiled when she read your mind and Sin couldn't help but smile back.

"Who is it this time? Not another magic user, I hope?" Sin held up his hands and flexed two fingers on each hand as he said magic user, air quoting it to support the obvious sarcastic tone he was using to describe them. "Ok, ok. I admit that that one was a bit over the top. But he was fun to watch with all that magic he was doing, right?" She moved her hands about in a mystical way while pulling a face that was supposed to be magical, an almost identical copy of the man. His mother laughed, a clear and soothing sound that made Sin laugh as well until he suddenly burst into a coughing fit. Beira was all over it in a trill as her laughing turned into a worried look. She rubbed his arm and leg to calm him down, offering him some water when he was done coughing, checking his temperature with her free hand and looking worriedly at her son once he had set the glass back down. When he looked like he was better, she shook her head, got up and went back out in the hallway. A few trills later, the rhythmic tapping noise of her foot on the front porch could be heard once again.

Sin closed his eyes and thought about all the things wrong with him. There were so many, Sin sometimes wondered why he was still around. From what he had understood, his mother had explained it to him after the doctors and healers had left, Sin had weak muscles, trouble breathing and for some reason he didn't regain much energy from sleeping. Where other people slept to get all their energy back, Sin slept to get barely half of that back. And that was only when he managed to actually sleep for a full uninterrupted eight breaks. As Sin's mind wandered, the rhythmic tapping caused his eyes to droop and slowly close as he drifted off.
Last edited by Sintih on Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 782
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1132
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

When the first message had arrived, the Mortalborn had not reacted to it even though it had come from one of the few people that he considered to be something akin to a friend, despite her unfortunate interest in magic and the danger it posed to him. He had rarely met a more intelligent woman than Beira in the nearly four hundred arcs that he had been alive. She even surpassed him in a few areas. They had worked together quite frequently when he had come to Andaris because of a research project about a dozen arcs before, but the contact had all but stopped when she had retired from the university due to the birth of her son.

The second message had caught his attention though. Assuming that her first letter had not reached him – she could not have known that he had thrown it away because he was worried about being found out - Beira had sent him another one and described the symptoms that her child was suffering from in more detail.

He found the boy’s condition to be quite fascinating, and the desperate tone of her letter had not left him entirely unaffected, and thus he had, after he had given the matter some thought, agreed to meet with her and take a look at her son, even though he was not sure of how much help he would ultimately be. He had some skill in medicine, but was mainly a chemist.

A different hairstyle and a different style of dress, midnight blue rather than his customary coal and crimson, he thought, might distract her sufficiently from the fact that he hardly seemed to have aged since the trial they had first met. Besides, being an Eidisi, he hoped, she would not be as familiar with humans and their lifespan. With those thoughts in mind he packed his things and rented a horse at the local stable so that he would be able to reach the farm house where she apparently lived now more quickly.

As he rode through the streets of Andaris and eventually left the city behind, he could not help but wonder how much Beira had changed in the arcs that they had been apart. He found it hard to imagine the woman he had once known, the renowned scholar, as a mother and a housewife or a farmer, whatever it was that she was now. It seemed like such a waste of talent to him. If she had stayed at the university, if they had continued to work together, they could have accomplished so much!

Finally the house came into view, and the Mortalborn dismounted, tied the horse to a tree and approached. Despite the fact that he was taking a risk in coming there, he walked at a brisk pace and confidently. He was hardly ever insecure once he had made a decision, considering such behaviour to be a waste of time and energy.

He knocked on the door firmly, thus announcing his arrival to those inside, and then he waited, hoping that she would be home and that he had not ridden all the way to her farm in vain.
word count: 530

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Sintih
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Sin had drifted off at the sound of his mother's tapping. Beira stopped tapping her foot and started pacing back and forth across the porch. Then she started mumbling to herself as she looked at the horizon. More pacing, more horizon scouring. Still nothing. She let an angry growl escape from between her lips before taking a deep breath. She repeated it a few times, calming herself down. How long had she known Doran now? Twelve, thirteen arcs? He had arrived in one of the last arcs before she had quit the university. And he had proven to be quite a treat, despite his young age. A sharp mind, eloquent and a wealth of knowledge tucked away in his head. Their relationship had quickly evolved from mere colleagues to friends.

Doran had been one of the pros on Beira's list for staying at the university when she found out she was pregnant. But even he hadn't weighed heavily enough through for the pro side when Sintih came into the world much sooner than anticipated by anyone. Of course, she had written him. Or at least tried to. Every time she had made any attempt to make contact with people from the university, her mind had either blanked out just like the paper before her or her thoughts had been filled with Sintih. When Sin's condition had suddenly worsened the letter had been written in trills, pleading Doran, and many other colleagues, to come help her son. From the letters she had sent, most had replied and visited right away. Those who had not were either dead or no longer at the university. After their wave, Beira had contacted people via-via. A friend of a friend here, the niece of a brother-in-law of a friend there, the neighbor's sister's husband's parents' neighbor's daughter. The list went on and on.

But Doran hadn't replied nor visited and Beira, somewhere between all that worrying and caring for Sin, had felt betrayed. But not enough that she'd written him off entirely. Instead, she had sent more information his way, trying to appeal to the scholar in him. It worked. They had spent enough time together for Beira to know that Doran's skill didn't lie in any field of medicine or magical healing. But she knew that he carried knowledge about many a subject in that head of his. And she was desperate enough.

Beira sat next to her son on the edge of the bed. He had fallen deeper asleep, breathing rhythmically, although shallow. She carefully touched his cheek when she heard something outside the house. Forgetting where she was sitting for a moment, Beira jumped up from the bed, shaking the mattress and her son on top of it as she rushed out the room. She reached the front door as the knocking stopped and threw it open, staring at the young man in front of her. For a moment, her eyebrows pushed down in a look of anger. "Finally!" She burst out at her old friend. "I sent you a letter seasons ago!" Then the anger replaced itself with relief and she put both arms around her former colleague in a very uncharacteristic manner. "I'm so glad you could make it. I didn't think you would..." Her voice cracked near the end of her sentence before she pulled Doran in the house with a firm grip on his wrist. The front door remained open as she pulled him further through the hall and straight for Sintih's room.

Waking up from the sudden movement, Sin peered through half an open eye at his mother's back as she left the room in a hurry. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Sin heard a horse outside and he suddenly felt more awake. Pushing himself up to a seated position on his bed, Sin stared intently at the door his mother had left through. There was some mumbling coming from the front of the house and then rushed footsteps as someone moved back. Beira's voice called out through the hallway as the footsteps got closer. "Sin? Wake up, sweetie." The voice of the dragon of house Beira caused Sin to tense up slightly as the footsteps carried his mother into the room.
word count: 726
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

The Mortalborn raised an eyebrow as the door was thrown open abruptly. For a moment he simply looked at Beira and listened to her, trying to decide what he could say to her that would not make her any angrier than she already was nor arouse her suspicion. “I didn’t receive that first letter”, he finally lied smoothly and met her gaze calmly, as if he were speaking the absolute truth. After nearly four centuries he was used to lying, to hiding his real thoughts and feelings, to pretending that he was a mere mortal, weak and often forgetful when he should have been so much more. “It must have gotten lost somewhere. I was busy and forced to travel frequently due to my research. But I’m here now. When I found your last letter on my desk, I came as quickly as I could. I hope that I haven’t come too late …” He let his voice trail off, as if he were worried about what he would find in the house.

He was somewhat surprised as she suddenly reached for him, but he allowed her to put her arms around him for a few moments before he removed himself from her embrace again and took a step back. He did not mind the somewhat uncharacteristic gesture - being physically close to another being did not make him uncomfortable in the least, and he found it strange that some mortals had such issues – but it shocked him to see her like that, more than he wanted to admit.

When they had last talked, she had been beautiful and feminine, like a princess of her kind, and full of energy, and her appearance had not even left him entirely unaffected, but now she was but a pale shadow of her former self. Taking care of that sick boy of hers and working on the farm had destroyed the woman he had once known. Did she ever regret it – having him, giving up everything she had ever had for the vague hope that a piece of her would live on after she had passed away?

He searched her face for signs of bitterness, but only found anxiety. She cared about the boy, he realized, she loved him even though he had taken away what might be her only chance at an academic career. It was an attitude that he found hard understand. He did not know how he would have decided in her situation. He would have found it hard to let go of all those things and lead such a simple life. He would have wanted more, more than pain and tears and worries.

Even though he was much stronger than she was and could easily have resisted, he allowed her to grab his wrist and pull him into the house, towards her son’s room. He slowly approached the bed, furrowing his brow as he did so. That the boy was sitting up reassured him little. There was something about the look on his face that gave him reason for concern.

“My name is Doran”, he introduced himself as the boy was without a doubt wondering who he was. His voice was calm. He did not normally care about mortal children, not since his own daughter had died, but he would do what he could to help Sintih – for his mother’s sake, for the woman he had once known, the brilliant scientist. “I am an old friend of your mother’s. She told me that you were unwell. How are you feeling?” As he waited for Sintih’s answer, he turned back to Beira and remarked, in such low a tone that the boy was unlikely to hear him, “His breathing is a little laboured. What kind of medicine is he taking at the moment?”
word count: 638

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Sintih
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

When his mother appeared in his doorway, Sin smiled at her but his smile froze on his face when the man behind her was pulled in as well. No matter how Sin looked at him, the man was intimidating. He was much taller than his mother and Sin and while his clothes were hiding most of it, Sin got the feeling the man had a muscled physique as well. The well trimmed beard only helped to make him look more angry, as if he didn't want to be here. He didn't look much like a doctor, in fact, he looked nothing like all the others who had visited him before. Most of them had been old geezers with grey in their hair and the younger ones had been mostly useless. And while Sin couldn't put an exact number on it, he felt like the man belonged to the second group.

When the man spoke, his voice sounded deep, like his father. It had a quality to it that made Sin want to salute. It was as if the man expected others to listen and do what he said. But Sin didn't. He steeled himself against the urge to greet the man, instead opting to turn his gaze away from this Doran, his jaw tensing. But his turned gaze led his eyes to connect straight to those of his mother. Where Doran's calm and naturally authoritative voice was a challenge for Sin to resist, his mother's eyes carried eleven years of power behind them and smashed right through Sin's stubborn defenses. "I'm Sintih. Nice to meet you." His voice was weak when he spoke, hiding the reluctance with which he answered.

Beira stopped her pacing at the end of her son's bed when Doran spoke to her. "Let me see, I've got a list somewhere." She patted herself down looking for the paper she had written it on. "Various herbal teas, powdered thyme, salt water, breathing in steamed ginger, some exercises which he can't do anymore. Oh and this one guy... Vix something, he gave us a cream to rub on his chest before sleeping. It helps a little. Also..." Her list was rather long, folding from her fingers halfway down her lower arm. She listed various well known herbs and potions for energy, breathing and coughing, extracts from local plants and other more exotic herbs and concoctions that might help. One was even a known poison in higher dosages.

"I already got rid of a few dozen useless or outright dangerous ones they said he should try." Beira concluded her list. On one hand she knew that the amount of things Sin was taking in itself wasn't very healthy but on the other hand her son was in bad shape so she'd rather have him alive and dependent on medicine than anything else. She pulled her arms up and crossed them in front of her chest. "He doesn't take all of these at the same time, of course. I still know what I'm doing." She sounded rather defensive about it, as if she somehow had to let him know that she hadn't just turned into some crazy old lady doting on her son. She turned her eyes to Sin, waiting for him to respond to Doran's first question.

Shifting slightly in his bed, trying to avoid the prickly feeling he got from his mother's eyes, Sin faced Doran a little more. How was he feeling? He felt just fine. He still didn't understand why he couldn't just go out with his father anymore. He wanted to go out and play, explore and learn about things without needing to look at pictures in a book or listening to his mother drone on about all sorts of boring things. He realized that Doran and his mother had been talking about something but he had been lost in his own thoughts. He took two, three quick breaths before speaking. "I feel tired, mostly. And I've been having some problems breathing. I get tired quicker than other children, my mother says. I wouldn't know because she never let-..." Beira's eyes told Sin enough as he stopped his complaining to this new doctor. "Never mind."
word count: 723
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Teas, powdered thyme, salt water, breathing in steamed ginger, the doctors that had treated Sintih so far had prescribed almost everything that he would have prescribed, and for a moment the Mortalborn was at a complete loss. He disliked that feeling. He disliked not knowing what he could do and how he could help. He was used to being able to solve every problem, no matter what it entailed. For a moment he wondered if there even was anything short of magic or divine intervention that could cure the boy’s ailment. Perhaps, he thought somewhat sarcastically, he should suggest that they talk to Moseke herself?

“Of course”, he remarked curtly as Beira insisted that she still knew what she was doing, even though he was not at all sure if she was still in full command of her mental faculties. That she was playing the part of a farmer and a housewife now didn’t make any sense to him. How could she ever be happy with this here when she had had such great plans once? “I need you to take your shirt off and sit up straight, Sintih”, he ordered the boy abruptly, perhaps in part in order to distract himself from his old friend’s unreasonable behaviour. It was likely that Sintih’s previous doctors had already put him through every possible examination, but he wanted to take a look at the boy himself. He did not trust hearsay.

“I want to listen to the sound of your heart and your breathing”, he explained in a somewhat gentler tone in case the boy was wondering why he had to do that. “That might give me a clearer idea of what is wrong with you.” He removed a small wooden tube that he had brought with him for that purpose from his bag. Some doctors, he knew, just put their ear on the patient’s chest, but he had found that using a stethoscope, even such a simple one, worked much better.

“A mixture of mustard oil and camphor”, he abruptly said as he waited for Sintih to do what he said and mentally went through the list that Beira had given him again. “Rub that on his chest several times a trial and not just before he goes to bed. It should help clear his respiratory passages and normalize his breathing. Does he ever suffer asthma attacks or are his lungs just weaker than they should be?”

He put the tube down for a moment and turned to Beira. “And tell me, Beira, what exactly is it that you do not let your son do? If he spends the entire trial in bed, he will never grow stronger. I understand that you worry about him, but you should not coddle him. He needs to live.” He looked at her intently as he said that, and the tone of his voice was harsher than it had been. Even though they had been close friends once, he would not hesitate to criticize her if he thought that it might be justified.
word count: 513

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Sintih
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Sin watched as his mother and this Doran person spoke with each other. He was too young to realize everything going on behind their words and how their relationship in the past had led to Doran being here in the present. But when he was asked to take of his shirt, Sintih pulled it over his head. It was almost routine now. He couldn't even remember how many times he'd done this. His shirt came off easily and Sin pushed himself forward a little, away from the headboard so he could sit up straight and give this doctor access to his back later on. The others had done so as well.

Beira stopped pacing at the end of the bed when Doran suddenly came up with another concoction. The sudden outburst not only gave her new information, it also brought to her mind old memories. A fireplace, a room with a desk, two comfortable chairs, Beira wrapped up in a blanket staring at the fire, her eyes slowly closing, a book sliding out of her hand, papers spread out over the desk and the floor around them, Doran pacing back in forth, mumbling to himself. Then a sudden burst of sound that pulled her from her half-sleep as Doran started rummaging through a stack of papers and putting three of them next to each other. She remembered smiling. She didn't remember what problem he had solved back then but she remembered the suddenness of his insights, just like today.

"Of course... The mustard will open up his lungs to make breathing easier and the camphor... That one is known to have side effects? Maybe not in smaller amounts?" Doran continued to speak as she was tapping a finger to chin, a tick that Sin had taken over in the past ten arcs. She listened with half an ear to Doran's explanation on how to use it and took a trill too long to realize that he had asked her something else. "What? Oh, asthma? No, he just doesn't seem to take in enough air. He just can't seem to take in a deep breath, his normal rhythm is also much faster than others, even when he's asleep." She seemed to drone off the information as if she had said it a hundred times already.

Sin looked just as surprised as his mother when Doran spoke next. Sin did so because he had never heard anyone talk to her like that apart from his father. The authority in the man's voice seemed to grow a size or two over the course words. It was normal for people who came from outside to not understand how things worked here at house Beira. With half a shocked smile, Sin brought his hands up to his ears, getting ready for the Dragon's roar. It wouldn't help much, but it was better than nothing. He was going to get it now, that doctor friend.

Beira was surprised because her friend, a man she had spent countless trials buried in books and information with, just questioned her way of looking after her son. How dare he, in her own house, in front of her own child. From somewhere deep inside, Professor Beira, Master of Rupturing and Sovereign, Writer and Co-writer of five tomes of knowledge used at the university, started to bubble up. Her muscular but exhausted frame seemed to swell as she took a deep breath. Her eyes, which had looked old up to that point, flickered with a spark of authority that Sin had never seen before. "Doran Thetys, do not assume to criticize me in my own house, in front of my own child."

"Do you really think I would have kept my son in doors, in bed, for no good reason. Do you think I do not know how to look after my own child, my flesh and blood? I may have lost some luster over the arcs but my mind has yet to forget a single thing. Don't you think I've tried everything already? Called in every expert, cashed in every favor? I've made more medicine in the past season for my own son than I have in my entire time at the university. Nothing works, nothing does anything to cure him. My son might... might..." Somewhere along the line, she had deflated and with that all signs of authority had left her as well. She looked at Sin, who was sitting in bed, staring at his knees under the blanket, hands on his ears. Beira took a deep breath and quickly wiped away the beginnings of tears. "Three seasons ago, he was out with his father and suddenly collapsed. I cursed Rudi for it but it wasn't his fault. They had been going out for arcs before that, training, exploring, playing. Nothing ever happened. Sin was never a physical child to begin with but he loved to hang out with his father. I worried every day and Rudi took him out every day. I can't allow him to go out when he can barely stand on his own two legs."

When the noise died down outside the cover of his hands, Sin looked up from his knees at his mother who seemed tired as she looked at Doran. No fair! No yelling, no putting him in place? This was all that happened, some stern talking to? What had this Doran person done to his mother. Sin glared at the side of Doran's face as he dropped his hands to his knees. The glare quickly withered when he felt the pricks of his mother's gaze on his body.
word count: 956
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

“Indeed“, the Mortalborn confirmed as Beira spoke about which effects the mustard would have on the boy’s lungs. He wondered if she had tried that salve as well once, even though it had not been on her list. She was still the same woman beneath the exterior of the farm wife, he realized. She was still as intelligent as ever which made the situation worse in his opinion. Beira needed a different environment to thrive, just as much as her son. But what could he do about it? How could he convince her that this here was wrong? Should he even try to change her mind? She was just a mortal. She was weak and would soon be dead, and yet … and yet he still felt some sort of attachment to her, even after all those arcs.

Maybe, he thought, maybe he should have come sooner rather than throwing all her letters away. Maybe it would have been easier to persuade her then. She had not recognized anything unusual about him. He had been worrying unnecessarily all that time.

“Perhaps there is still hope”, he murmured after he had removed the tube from the boy’s chest and repeated the procedure on his back. The sounds he had heard were somewhat abnormal, but he had expected far worse after that last letter. Perhaps Beira was a mother that worried far too much about her child? He pondered the question for a moment before he told Sintih, “Cross your arms over your chest now and try to take deep, slow breaths through your mouth. I am going to conduct a lung exam now.”

If the boy complied, he would start to percuss, placing his hands on Sintih’s back as he did so. Striking a surface that covered an air-filled structure produced a resonant sound. The nature of the sound would hopefully give him more insight in the boy’s condition.

“There are some irregularities”, he informed Beira after he had given Sintih a sign that he could get dressed again. “But I do believe that something to strengthen his heart would be of help. I will write the name of something I believe could be of use down. Can you get to a pharmacy, Beira? If not, I will send a messenger with Sintih’s medicine.” He realized that he didn’t know if Beira and her son lived alone and if she had a husband. If she was taking care of the farm and the boy on her own, then it was no wonder that she was like that.

Another man might have flinched. Some might even have run away screaming after Beira’s outburst, but the Mortalborn just stood a bit straighter, crossed his arms over his chest and looked directly at the woman he thought was an Eidisi. “If I think it is necessary, I will criticize you”, he informed her coldly.

As she assaulted him with a barrage of questions, he shook his head. “I don’t know anymore, Beira. I don’t know. This seems so unlike you. What were you thinking?” He was about to tell her everything that was on his mind, that she was a fool in his opinion, a masochist beyond measure, but then he noticed the look on her face and stopped himself. It seemed as if she had lost all energy.

“Then go outside with him”, he spoke more softly. “He needs fresh air and sunlight and people around him. He needs to move at least a little. I know that you worry, but keeping him in this room all trial long is no life for him.” He glanced at the boy who seemed to be rather uncomfortable after his mother’s outburst and gave Beira a sign to follow him out of the room. He would not have another argument with her in front of the child – he realized that it might have been a mistake - but he needed to know. He did not understand any of the decisions she had made, but he could not help but remember all those trials they had spent together, conducting their research and how much he had enjoyed her company then. He still cared about her or rather the friend she had once been, and he wanted her back, even if she would eventually die, like all those others.

“Be honest with me, Beira”, he said to her as they stood in the hallway where Sintih hopefully wouldn’t be able to hear them. “Are you happy here? Does anybody help you with the work around the farm, the boy’s father or servants? This is not the right place for either you or your son. You should move closer to the sea where the air is better or into the city where Sintih can receive better treatment and you can resume your research at least on a part-time basis. If …”

He hesitated for a moment before he continued,

“If it is money that you need or if you need a place to stay, I am willing to help, and don’t even think about refusing. This is about more than just your foolish pride.”
word count: 867

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Sintih
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Sintih said still, feeling the doctor press the tube against his chest. He breathed in as regularly as he could while Doran listened. His mother was watching him, making sure he wasn't messing around, most likely. Sin smiled at her while he listened to Doran explain the next part of the testing. He'd done deep breaths but he never had to cross his arms for this test. But who was he to question all these all knowing doctors, right? Sintih pulled his arms up and crossed them in front of his chest. Focusing on slowing his breath down and taking in larger amounts of air at a time, Sin managed to slow his breathing down to something close to normal breathing for healthy people.

As her son got dressed again, Beira listened to her old friend explain his findings. She had stopped pacing and was listening with intent, hearing nothing really new. "His father will be able to pick it up once he gets back, don't worry." It didn't sound like it in her voice, but Beira's eye did tell Doran that she felt quite capable of taking care of her own son. She would go to Andaris on her hands and knees for a jug of water if she thought it could cure her son. But she dropped the subject for now. Doran hadn't been around her for longer than Sin's entire lifetime, it was only normal that he wasn't up to date on her situation and her abilities.

Sintih couldn't help but smile when he heard what Doran was telling his mother. The doctor was telling her that he was supposed to go outside. That being outside would help him get better. Before he realized it, Sin was nodding his head as Doran spoke, agreeing with everything the man said to his mother. Whatever this man had that caused his mother to not explode like she did with him was now working in his advantage. Sintih quickly forgot that he had been jealous of this Doran character not a trill ago. When Doran stood up from his seat and started heading out, Beira gave Sin a quick nod to let him know everything was fine. Sliding down in his bed, Sin lay down again, watching the ceiling, pretending not to hear the noises coming from the hallway.

Beira pulled the door close behind her as she left Sin's room. Did he deserve to hear everything Doran had to say? Of course. Did she fear her old friend was about to tell her her son was dying? Of course. Did she want to have Sintih hear that from someone like Doran? Definitely not. As they stood in the hallway in close proximity, Beira noticed that the past ten arcs had been quite kind on her friend. Doran still looked like he did the last time she'd seen him. His hair was different, of course, and his general look was less disheveled, but then again it seemed her mind had decided to remember the Doran at the end of a trial long search through dusty old tomes, heated arguments and a lack of sleep rather than the impressive figure he'd been striding down the hallways of the university.

What he brought up then totally took her off guard. She had expected some sort of half illegal drug as a solution to her son's illness. Or maybe a more private outburst because she'd just hurt his feelings. Basically every other possible scenario had come to mind before this. Was she happy here? Of course she was... right? Yes. Finding her questioning her own life caused Beira to hesitate in her answer. When the initial shock faded, Beira went right over the happiness question. She had everything she'd ever wanted here. It wasn't perfect but it was all hers. "You're not making it easy, Doran. Some people tell me it's the city air that would harm him, that he needs to go further inland, away from the cold and salty ocean air, that he needs peace and quiet, others tell me he needs to go and pray to some immortal somewhere. One guy even told me I had to sacrifice something living for my son. And now here you are telling me that he should move closer to the ocean and the city both." Beira looked at Doran, trying to pull the correct answer out of his eyes.

Like the happiness question, Beira decided to put aside the slightly insulting inquiry to her financial situation. He meant well, she could tell at least that much from his face. He'd never been much for facial clues but she'd spend enough time with him to know. "If I thought for even a second that my foolish pride could heal my son, I'd give it to Moseke in a heartbeat. But..." She let out a sigh before turning to silence. Trills passed in silence as she stared at a point in space behind Doran's chest, an old habit of hers that translated roughly into 'Shut up, I'm trying to think here.' She suddenly pulled her eyes back up to meet Doran's. "I'll have to think about this, discuss it with my husband. It's not a simple decision that I can't make on my own. But..." She raised a finger as she let the word linger for a moment. "If we do decide to move to the city, could you help us find a place? In midtown, I don't want Sin to grow up in lowtown." If anything hadn't changed about Beira, it was probably her inability to ask for help. Her voice sounded like more a command when she asked Doran.

Lying in his bed, the murmuring of voices from outside the door moved with the rhythm of a conversation. He could hear the difference between Doran's deeper voice and that of his mother but he had no idea what they were talking about. Turning his head towards the window in his room, Sin wondered how soon he'd be allowed to go back outside and explore with his father. He completely agreed with this doctor on the medicine prescribed. At last he would be able to get out of this room. He'd been here long enough.
word count: 1073
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

As Beira said that Sintih’s father would be able to pick the medicine up, the Mortalborn nodded. So she did have a husband or a lover after all. He had feared that she would be a widow and have to do all the work alone. He wondered who he was. He had always thought that, if Beira ever got married, it would be a scientist, a doctor, somebody who would be able to challenge her intellectually, somebody like himself – and not a man that would force her to live on a farm. The Beira he had known would never have agreed to this.

“Is this his house?” he asked her once they were out of Sintih’s earshot, referring to the boy’s still nameless father. He needed to know, even if his old friend would be offended and insist that it was none of his business. He needed to know what kind of man had convinced her to give up her old life and everything she had known and held dear. “What does he do for a job?” He hoped that she would tell him that farming was only a hobby for the man, that he did at least have some sort of education, but he feared that it was not the case and that she had shackled herself to somebody that would never satisfy her completely.

“Nothing in life is ever easy, Beira”, he informed her in a tone that was almost gentle. He knew that better than most. For a moment he pitied her. He had forgotten how much harder it was for her kind that had neither his longevity nor his powers. “But almost any place would provide more opportunities for your son and yourself than a farm. You need to think about the future.” He had not mentioned her husband’s future. He found himself unable to care about a man that he had never met and hopefully never would.

“I do not think that there is any point in making a sacrifice though”, he added. “The Immortals that demand animal sacrifices are unlikely to care about healing a sick child. I believe that being proactive and taking your fate into your own hands is better than sitting in a temple, praying and waiting for an Immortal to have mercy on you.” He had learned that the hard way. Once, about two centuries and a half before he had begged the Immortals to save a dying lover, but had been denied. That trial something inside of him had broken, but there was no point in thinking about it. What had happened, had happened, and the dead would never rise again.

“Of course”, he said as she asked him if he could help them find a place. He didn’t interrupt her, but gave her time to think. He realized that she needed it, that the decision was not as easy for her. “I will help you find a house. And if there is anything else that you need, all you have to do is ask.” He reached out for her and touched her arm, a gesture that was both unusually gentle and uncharacteristic for him and looked directly into her eyes. For a moment he felt more than just frustration and incomprehension. “You deserve more than this, Beira, more than constant worries and tears. You both do.”
word count: 563

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”