Going Home

(Patrick)

0th of Cylus 0

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Rei
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Healer and Gardener
Renown: 49
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Going Home

87 Vhalar 716
Over the last few trials, some of the healing staff had finally been working on letting her get up out of bed and walk around. Rei had been pushing them to let her since the day after she had been stabbed, knowing that movement was key to recovery. But they were being overly cautious and, while it frustrated her deeply, she could understand why. After all, she had just been in a pool of her own blood on the floor and nearly died in front of them all. Doctor Halvin had been especially doting, bringing her special treats from bakeries and markets in town.

She had a little pile of crumbs on her sheets and on the table beside the bed. He had brought her a fresh flaky pastry this morning. She was thoroughly enjoying how it nearly melted in her mouth, the taste of fresh butter not something she got to experience often. The Doctor came and sat on the edge of the bed, resting a wrinkled hand on top of hers. “I think you’re well enough to go home on your own now, Rei. Just please be careful. You shouldn’t really be lifting anything just yet. Take it easy and rest. We don’t want you back here for at least several more trials yet.” He was smiling at her that warm smile he often gave patients when he was trying to get them to follow his orders.

“I promise I’ll be careful. And I have a bit of herbal powder at home for pain if I need it.” Her white dress had been cleaned and there was no trace of the bloodstain that had marred it. He handed it over to her. “Be safe.” He kissed the back of her hand before getting up to make his rounds with the other patients. Rei took her dress and went behind one of the dressing screens to change out of the oversized gown. She threw it in with the dirty bedding and slipped the dress over her head.

It was an uneventful walk home and when she was safely inside, she set on some water to heat up. When it got hot, she poured some out into her washing bowl and put the rest on to boil for tea. She took her rose and wood scented soap and scrubbed her body clean and washed out her oily hair. She left it to dry as she slipped the white dress back on and dumped out her dirty water. Feeling clean, she poured the boiling water into a cup of tealeaves. The wound on her back was smarting, so she added a bit of herbal powder. She wrapped herself up in a blanket, took her cup of tea, and took a seat in her cushioned chair with her book on Idalos plants. If she was going to rest, she might as well read up on some things.
word count: 492
Patrick
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Trouble
Renown: 575
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Going Home

The following days were a little for Patrick to handle but mostly because of personal reasons, he'd taken it upon himself to be the guy everyone could count on after all. Lately what with Wendell being gone mysteriously, Rei's own recovery after her near brush with death, the urge to drink himself to sleep once more, and my oh my just how this list could steadily grow. Either way Patrick had taken a lot into consideration as of late, and he began to wonder just why did he suddenly bear such responsibility.

In the beginning when he was alone none of this would've been such a concern, ultimately his priorities would've remained simpler then. Now though it seemed that he had a steady list of things he needed to do, not things he had to obviously but in doing them. In doing them however he was honestly doing others a favor, for instance Rei had been provided flowers once or twice. Sugar was given compliments as well as assurance that Wendell would be found, honestly Patrick hadn't any idea how he wound up being the guy to comfort others. It was just something thrown upon him really.

Though he'd visited the infirmary to check in on Rei he never actually saw her. The couple times he did she was sleeping heavily, therefore hardly aware of his presence unless during the time. He'd also asked that the doctors kept his visits a secret, as he didn't want Rei knowing he kept checking in, though he seriously doubted that information was withheld so easily. People talked and when they did word traveled. That's how he new so much rumor and gossip as a bartender, because everybody always had a story worth telling.

Today however Patrick had found she'd been released and no sooner headed for her place, finally prepared to bring the news of Wendell to her. That's right. He hadn't told her yet. Yet. No matter how many times he tried or wanted to, he could never find the courage to do it. So far they knew he'd been taken abroad a ship that came in recently, their vessel determined for a course they weren't sure of. Rose was working on it though, pulling favors to extend her reach. It wouldn't be long until they caught wind of where Wendell had wound up, and when that happens Patrick would be the first in line to go bring him back. Why? Because that's suddenly who he was.

He'd become the guy everybody depended on suddenly, and it unnerved him greatly as he didn't want to slip up. Finally the door came into view as Patrick approached Rei's place, the turn on the street met with a slow stride as he prepared for a visit. Comfortable clothes were worn after so much of the rains, a white short sleeved shirt and the brown baggy trousers he usually kept strapped to his waist. He'd thought to bring yet another gift for her, a welcome home present even though it would've been last minute. He had nothing though, miserable as it sounded really. Flowers would've been too obvious and then... well he didn't want to become stupidly drunk in front of Rei; so wine was definitely out of the question.

He sighed as he rubbed his neck nervously with eyes shot to the sky, his anxiety already a bit elevated before he even knocked. "Here goes." He murmured as he took his hand and knocked a few times on the door, of course he didn't bother waiting to enter. Whether Rei decided to invite him in or not he didn't want her to have to move around, and so he came in with a soft smile as he saw her sitting in a chair reading. "Well look'ie here! Somebody's already gettin' comfy back home." He teased as he shut the door behind him with a lean against it, arms crossed as he took the sight of her in once more.
word count: 692
"Freedom is everything."

NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Going Home

There was a knock at the door, and Rei went to push herself up from the chair but the wound on her back gave a sharp jolt. She winced and turned to look at the door. “Come in,” she called, raising her voice to reach the other side of the door. The handle turned and a familiar face popped inside. She closed the cumbersome book and slid it between her body and the side of the chair. She didn’t believe in sticking books on the floor. Cradling the cup in both hands, she felt the warmth from the tea spread through her fingers. With a nip slowly creeping into the Vhalar air, it was welcome.

“I am. Very comfortable. A good cup of tea with a bit of herb for pain, a soft blanket, and a very informative book. Probably dull reading for most, but it’s giving me some ideas to toy with.” She smiled softly at him gesturing to the other chair in the room. “Have a seat. I’d get up, but it’s still hurting pretty bad.” A hand slid down her side and back, still feeling the bulge of bandages. There was a prickly feeling of the hard thread of the stitches. “I’m not being too much of a wimp am I?”

She laughed and thought of offering him some tea, but the last time he had been at her house, he had adamantly avoided drinking it until she nearly forced it down his throat. It had been the best for his hangover, though. He needed fluids and a bit more for the headache he had. Rei shifted in her white dress, straightening the skirt that fell over her knees. The steam wafted up from the cup and warmed her face. “How are you feeling? You look better than when I last saw you. No bandages anymore. That’s good. Looks like you healed up nicely. Any word on… on who was responsible?”
word count: 330
Patrick
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Going Home

His remarks were met with a soft smile as she admitted to the observation, a touch of modesty demonstrated in terms of her choice in reading before she placed her book down. "Thank ya kindly." He answered to the offer of a seat but with a hint of concern in his eyes, a short chuckle sounded from his lips as he eased his bum into the chair. "No! It's understandable that yer in pain, its only been seven trials after all. Anythin' I can do t' help ease it some though?" He hoped her pain wasn't too great at the very least, or maybe he could at least make it a bit more bearable.

She finally seemed to strike up an easy conversation on his own recovery, a topic he honestly didn't suspect to arise but one he'd entertain at least. "Oh me? Like I said that day I'm fine! Takes more than a few hits t' knock me senseless." He knocked a knuckle to the side of his head a couple of times, something to add into the humor of the subject. "But as far as who those men were... I honestly dunno. All the knights had told me is that they came from the Dust Quarter, which seems stupidly obvious if ya ask me." He muttered that last bit as he looked to the side in thought, his own personal opinion withheld as he hadn't enough facts to go on yet.

"Besides they're payin' for their crimes now, though if I had my way they'd be better off de-" He stopped himself as he realized how spiteful that sounded, a clear of his throat followed as he recovered his disposition on the matter. "They'd certainly not be 'round t' hurt you or anyone else again." He definitely would've liked to know what punishment was brought out, with as little as he knew they could've been executed silently so people would sleep easier forgetting them.

Not Patrick though. They were ruffians to be sure but they had motive, reason to demand Rei to help them and motive to drag Patrick into it. How they knew these things was a mystery to Patrick as well, but he deemed that minor compared to the issue of his protective capabilities. How was he suppose to take care of Rei in the future? Make sure he could protect her when in danger once more? Why did he think she would be to begin with? Truth be told it was all suspect at this point in time, therefore his thoughts merely did nothing but set him on edge and in need of a drink. "Are ya hungry by the way? I can cook some supper if ya like." He thought the offer would serve purpose for Rei since she needed to be seated, after all what harm was their in cooking a meal for the person he secretly loved.
word count: 496
"Freedom is everything."

NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Going Home

Patrick was very considerate of how she felt, letting her know that there was no need to get up and that he understood that she was still in pain. As he had said, it had only been seven trials but it felt like an eternity. It seemed like it had been almost a season, even if she knew it was dramatic to think so. She didn’t much care if anyone thought it was dramatic. After all, what had happened was pretty dramatic. She pulled her legs up beneath her, getting nestled comfortably into the chair. She didn’t plan on getting up anytime soon.

“Well you did have a cut on your neck too, didn’t you?” Honestly, it was hard to remember. She had spent most of the first half of her stay blissfully out of it thanks to whatever narcotic pain reliever they had been giving her. “You can hardly see it anymore. Just a little red mark on your skin.” She hadn’t seen him since the day this all had happened, but Doctor Halvin had been kind enough to let her know that he had been slyly checking on her when she was asleep or out of it. In fact, he was supposedly responsible for the flowers she had received a few times to decorate her bedside.

When he mentioned that the thugs had been from the Dust Quarter, she inwardly cringed. It had a bad enough reputation as it was without adding any more fuel to the fire. Few healers wanted to go down there and do charitable work as it was. How would she ever convince anyone else to go down there? More importantly, could she even convince herself to go back down there? “Well that’s just wonderful. The innocent people there already bear a bad enough reputation. This will make it worse once word gets out if it hasn’t already.” Chances were, talk had already started.

It did little to soothe her to know that the brutes would be paying for the crimes. She hardly had a reaction when he mentioned that they would be better off dead. She agreed that it would better for everyone if such violent offenders weren’t around. “You won’t offend my sensitive soul,” she commented sarcastically. “I agree. For everyone’s sake, they probably are better off dead. Unfortunately we don’t really have any say in that. But if you find anything out, do let me know.”

She took a sip of the hot tea and it warmed her throat. “I am hungry, yes. I’ve only had a pastry and some tea.” Now that he had mentioned it, Rei could feel her stomach rumbling. She would be more than happy for some food- even happier if she didn’t have to make it. “Have you… heard from or seen Wendell? I feel like it’s unlike him to not have checked on me. Truthfully I’m a bit worried about him.”
word count: 500
Patrick
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Going Home

He'd honestly forgotten that the damned thing was there, even though it'd been a thin but nice little reminder of what he almost suffered. He didn't care that he'd been held at knife point and nearly had his throat sliced, as much as he didn't intend on dying right now he was far more concerned with Rei. He had been since he'd started seeing her more often, because ironically enough he found himself in love with her. Something that probably wouldn't have been so difficult to handle, were she in fact not in love with another man Patrick himself... well loved.

Shit. That made the situation sound all the more bad in his head, of course really it was just a stupid thing he... He had to deal with lately. True enough he may have developed some odd feelings for Wendell, but Rei was the one he felt more captivated by. It was a complicated all around and either way, he wasn't on the receiving end of these relationships; as far as he knew anyways. Rei loved Wendell and deep down Wendell loved Rei, no matter how much he didn't believe it. So who was Patrick to think about cutting between that sort of connection. "Yeah that," He picked up after she'd mentioned it was now only a little red mark, "it's healed pretty nicely. Completely forgot 'bout it honestly."

Shortly after he'd heard her agree that they were better off dead, he lightened up a little more with a hint of relief. He knew he could be a little harsh in terms of prejudice towards others, but the fact he wasn't alone in regards to their fact made him think less horrible about it. The ruffians definitely deserved whatever fate was coming to them, even if death was a latter along that list. "I think it's only been spread among the knights really, they've definitely been keepin' close watch at the gates." He noted as he was well aware there had been a slight increase in watch around there, as far as he could tell they were trying to crack down on those who entered from the Dust Quarter.

It wasn't anything absolutely noticeable, but one who was observant enough could tell. Between with what festivities that go on everyday, and the amount of knights there were on watch, it was plain to see everyone was a little on edge lately. Then of course the death of that Aukari didn't really help either, an event Patrick honestly wasn't sure what to think about. The man was dead plain and simple, killed in cold blooded murder and left there as an example. Of course the only evidence he came across was the black book he'd still held onto, unable to decipher anything he read within its contents no matter how hard he tried.

Finally she came to agree she was in fact hungry, a cheery grin developed on his face as he rubbed his hands together. "Well then, guess I'll make supper fer us!" He cheered as he rose out of his chair to head into the kitchen, the first few bits in there spent raiding her cupboards to see what she had. The of course the question came up. That question. The one question he expected to be given, but still didn't know the correct way to answer even at this moment. He'd paused in his eagerness as he looked down on the counter, his smile fallen away as he easily looked trouble. Just how... how was he suppose to tell Rei? "About that." He rested his hands at the edge of the counter, a twist around to face towards her with a sullen frown. "Don't freak out okay?"

Fingers drummed at the wood of the counter as was sure she was about to freak out, heck practically Rose and all the others at the Hound did when no sign of him came up. "Wendell's been missin' since your accident, hasn't been seen since the night before actually." He returned to where her chair was with a kneel on one knee to follow, eyes stared intensely as he didn't wish for her to panic. "I know it sounds bad but Rose is lookin' into it, once she's figured out where he's gone I'm bringin' him back! Promise!" He swore without even thinking on the chances of actually finding him, at this point they had yet to learn anything really. That didn't make Patrick give up though as he intended to remain optimistic, Wendell was just too stubborn to easily go quietly in the night anyways; that much Patrick did know.
word count: 801
"Freedom is everything."

Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Going Home

“But they’ll see all those poor souls as brutes when they most definitely are not.” She sighed with sadness, her head drooping, a palm coming to rest on her forehead. The actions of a few would condemn those that were entirely innocent. Rei shook her head, thinking of the sweet, grime covered children she had encountered in the Dust Quarter. At least maybe it would take time for the rumors to make their way through the other quarters. It would keep citizen on citizen violence down until word got out. Then it would the citizens and the Knights against the poor people of the Dust Quarter. It hardly seemed fair.

The mood lightened when dinner was mentioned. Patrick sprung from his chair like a rabbit and started rummaging through the cabinets and stores in her kitchen. If she remembered right, she should have enough ingredients to make a hearty stew. Of course she wasn’t going to tell him what to do when he was willing to cook it. She would eat almost anything he could possibly cook, simply because she wouldn’t have to get up and agitate her back wound to do it. The only other choice was to go to a tavern or restaurant and she didn’t feel safe right now.

Rei was watching Patrick, cup in her hand, and noticed that his entire face that had just been jovial and smiling had fallen into a sadness and creased with a frown. All at the mention of Wendell. It must have meant that something was wrong. Her heart immediately started pounding in her chest, her breath shortened and became shallow. Already pale skin became as white as cream. She was so nervous that the cup slipped from her hand a shattered on the floor, hot tea covering the floor. “Shit,” she muttered to herself.

She didn’t move to start picking it up yet, she wanted to hear the rest of the story. He had been missing for seven trials and who was this Rose person? An employer? Patrick came to her chair, and she made sure to direct on the other side away from the shattered cup. He knelt by her and her panicked gaze locked on him. “You and me will be bringing him back. Wendell wouldn’t just leave like that. He’s in trouble. And who in the hell is Rose? Is this his nigthttime employment? Patrick, I swear by Ilaren herself you will tell me what it is he does. It could have something to do with why he has gone missing. What is it?” Her eyes narrowed and burned like blue fire. She wanted information and she was going to get it.
word count: 453
Patrick
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Going Home

While their previous conversation had its dips in terms of mood effects, the brutality of what he had to tell Rei made those subjects pale in comparison just as her face did. He knew she was going to panic. He knew yet he didn't consider that maybe, just maybe, it would've been better to bend the truth a little or at least deliver it more slowly. Her mug fell to the floor with a shatter that made him cringe, the loud crash of broken ceramic the only thing to break her silence before she found the words she had to say. Shit indeed.

When he'd moved over to her and knelt down, she was determined to correct him at the beginning. Both her and Patrick was something that he didn't approve, given the circumstances that she had to live with currently. Sure enough she'd fallen into a rant filled with question, her suspicion on the matter well regarded as Patrick raised a hand to her, a gesture made to calm down as he tried to explain everything in a better light. "Even if you weren't injured, which ya still are, I won't be havin' ya back goin' into danger so quickly again." He remarked as he allowed his hand to rest on her arm. "I dunno how much ya know o' Wendell's job, 'bout what we do exactly when workin' at the Hound." Honestly Patrick never knew Rei didn't know as little as she did, granted it wasn't really a job to be thrilled to discuss with other companions. Patrick himself learned that sometimes it's best to keep such things quiet, after much jesting and torments were suffered from Daveth and his other coworkers at the Boar.

"Rose is the woman who we work for, she owns the establishment called 'the Harlot 'n' Hound. Wendell and I, we're both um... 'entertainers' that work there." He explained with hopes that she could paint a better picture with that description, seeing as how entertaining was putting it mildly when one actually worked there. Sure he had loads of fun while on the job, but the past several days hadn't been easy when everyone was all worried about their golden boy. Where's Wendell? Where's Wendell?! Where's Wendell?!! Oh where is Wendell?!! It definitely didn't make the job any better with all the worry, so far though Rose has been diligently working on getting information with little rest. "Rose has friends in places that might know somethin', know who might've taken him if he really was kidnapped. Right now we've barely anythin' t' go on just yet." He added as he leaned over to the table to grab the washcloth on there, careful dabs on the floor made as he started to clean up the spilled tea as Rei spoke.
word count: 485
"Freedom is everything."

Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Going Home

She must have been in a nightmare. Surely this was a nightmare and could not be the true events of the time. Rei just needed to wake up and she would no doubt have found that she drifted off to sleep under the influence of some narcotic again. But as she jerked in her chair with anxious energy, the resulting pain the stabbed at her back was far too real to ignore. This was not a nightmare. She was very much awake and all this was happening. Wendell was gone, gone, with nary a trace of where he might of gone. Or been taken to.

It was not a good time for Patrick to decide that he knew what was best for her in this situation. He wanted to act the parent and tell her that she wouldn’t be going anywhere, well, she had news for him. Eyes that appeared as light as ice in the sunlight from the window had narrowed down to dangerous slits. Her now free hands were gripping the arms of the chair so tight she thought she might accidentally rip them off. “No. No. You don’t understand. You aren’t telling me where I am and am not going. I am going with or without your help. Now I would prefer your help so if you will just get on board that would be nice.”

The Hound. Her memory instantly snapped back the business card she had found on the floor at their last dinner, dropped by the waitress. Then she remembered that Wendell had been gone in the back for fifteen bits before coming back- an awful long time for a food complaint. Putting it together would have made her angrier if she wasn’t already so worried about Wendell. But she couldn’t believe he had never mentioned that he worked at this place, this thing that was practically a brothel of women and men. And now Patrick was working there, too?

Rose was the woman who owned the establishment and was apparently using her ‘friends in high places’ to get them information on wherever Wendell was taken. He had to have been taken, right? None of his things had been packed and he just up and disappeared. “I don’t even want to think about all the possible meanings of the fact that you are both entertainers. Not that I intend on holding it against him. I made a promise. His work didn’t matter so long as he came home to me.” Though she was beginning to wonder if she should have made that promise.

Patrick was on the floor cleaning up the spilled tea and picking up the broken glass. She glanced down at him, her gaze stern. “Well Rose better find out something quickly because I do not appreciate someone abducting my man.” She nearly hissed it out, feeling the blood within her boil as her face got hot and red with anger and frustration. “I will either go with you as a partner or without you because you think I have to have your permission to leave. I’m going to get him back. And whoever has him better run, because hell hath no fury like mine right now.”
word count: 543
Patrick
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Going Home

His eyes grew wide as he felt petrified from her instant change in demeanor, the woman who clearly had been upset over the news had now changed into.... something far worse than Patrick ever knew possible. He's seen his share of women in their pissed off moods, but Rei had to be the cream of the crop when she snapped at him. Her furious words which demanded he either let her go with him or she'd go alone, that was more than enough to raise concern for her within the argument she posed. He raised his hands up in the form of a surrender, rather apprehensive as towards whether or not he should remain adamant on keeping her here. "Okay okay! Ilaren's gracious bosom, you're a hard woman t' get along with ya know!" He argued while he finished cleaning up the mess, the rag then used to carry what small pieces he could pick up to a waste basket nearby.

So in the end there was a promise between them, a promise she'd likely be rethinking over now. That is if Wendell were in fact still here, either way it did little to change the current situation. He watched her closely as he leaned onto the table, fascinated eyes honed on her as she preached about going out to find him. Admittedly it sort of... aroused him in a way. Seeing the fire she had about her, the feisty attitude she demonstrated in her tone. It was no wonder Wendell was whipped, hell no wonder Patrick was even whipped when it came to her. "Then I feel sorry for whoever's responsible, because they certainly dun' wanna get in your way." He reasoned with a short chuckle to follow as he looked back to the kitchen once more. "Trust me when I say I'll not stop ya then, but until I hear somethin' ya need t' heal. I promise the moment I hear somethin', you will be the first one I come to." He assured her with a serious look in his face, there wasn't going to be any say otherwise after today anyways.

"Now I noticed ya had stuff fer stew well enough," He looked back over his shoulder once more, "you still hungry after all o' that or do I need t' share anythin' else ya don't know?" He asked because he honestly didn't know what business Wendell shared with Rei, and while he was more inclined to avoid such affairs... he really wasn't in a good disposition to do so.
word count: 434
"Freedom is everything."

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Rharne”