• Closed • On Shaky Wings

Vlu and Nightshade lend each other helping hands

0th of Cylus 0

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.

Moderator: Basilisk Snek

Nightshade Eld
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: The Best Hero
Renown: 485
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

On Shaky Wings

Vhalar 56th, 716

Nightshade came into The Gardener's Grace slightly out of breath. As luck would have it the reason she was here wasn't so much for herself as much as it was for another person. One of her coworkers to be exact. Some things happened involving one of the largest (literally) menaces to society to ever walk Idalos. Her eyes lit up as she found the person she was looking for. "Hey Alex, mind lending me a hand?" She asked. After having made friends, or at the very least she thought she did, with Alex on her first visit to The Gardener's Grace she'd only stopped by once or twice after to pay off her debt. Her entrance had been unexpected to say the least, and even more unexpected was the fact she wasn't bleeding to death. She was slightly bleeding from a couple minor scratches but they weren't much to bat an eye at.

"So I was out with one of my coworkers today, only one, and we were trying to map out a more open area about north east, I don't know the exact directions but I can point it out, and we kind of ran into a little bit of a problem. Turns out a Carowa decided to nest in the the area. It was only a 10 footer according to my partner and he tried to get me to fight it. Heck if I know why, he was just muttering something about a new feather scarf for his wife. Fact of the matter is he attracted the attention of the thing, got beat up pretty badly, and I had to drag him up a tree and lead the hell bird away before he got himself eaten. But now he's in some pretty rough shape so I was wondering if there was any chance you could help him out? Possibly getting there by flying because he's dying, he's dying very quickly," Nightshade said as fast as possible with a large and charming smile that did little to mask the panic in her voice. She paused to take a breath only once within everything she said. Her expression was an odd thing, somewhere between worried and pissed. Something that Alex has most certainly learned when using Night as a model was that the woman had a large variety of countenances which tended to be fairly animated and sometimes over done, but it was an interesting quirk to observe none the less.

The worry quickly moved from just her face to a slight tapping of her talons against the floor boards, the repeated clicks showed worry though they might have showed irritation if it wasn't for the anxious look that curled around her features and glimmered in clear blue eyes. "I'll help in whatever ways I can. Carry medical supplies or something?" She said having trouble staying still for extended periods of time. "Oh, right. Before I forget the injuries my friend got specifically were some lacerations and maybe some broken bones. We were facing a male Carowa so he got headbutted a good ways before smacking into a tree. I think the horns got him on his shoulder but most of the damage should have been done by the impact of the tree since the hell bird just sort of glazed past him. It also might have turned one of his arms to bone paste when it stomped on said arm before I could actually do anything..." She said shaking her head furiously as she started to pace. The scrunching of her eyebrows and the way her eyes darted around seemed to add emphasis to the fact she was trying to rake her memory for anything that could help.

She was trying to pay attention to the things that Alex said but she was failing a good bit as she worried.
Last edited by Nightshade Eld on Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 656
Common ~ Ith'Ession ~ Lorien
Dear Mods,
Mod bombs are welcomed and encouraged!
Vluharqih
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Apothecary
Renown: 278
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

On Shaky Wings

CREDIT
The door banged open, jerking Alex's attention from the grinding she was doing. Shooting a glance towards the open door, she caught sight of Nightshade.

A genuine smile crossed her face, quickly turning to concern as she took in the scratches and blood covering her friend. It didn't appear to be from her, and she wasn't stumbling nearly as much as she had been last time she was injured. Alex relaxed slightly as she realized that, pausing her work.

She walked out from behind the counter as Night began to speak, her voice high and nervous as the words spilled out.

Alex nodded her head, returning behind the counter to grab the necessary supplies. "All right. I need you to find the jars with Rockmaze Moss tea packets, the Leechbane berries and the jar of Clam Leaf. Oh, and grab me some of the bottle labeled 'Nightscarf 2'."

She busied herself with grabbing the more standard supplies- bandages, needle and thread, and a clay that would be used to help make a cast.

Her mind was elsewhere as she worked, running on auto pilot. She knew Mr.Gardener wouldn't be able to keep up- this would be the first time she had ever dealt with someone as badly hurt as this, alone. And a Carowa? She had heard of them, but had never had the misfortune of meeting one. Rumour left them more vicious than a pack of wild dogs, and at least as cunning as a fox.

A knot grew in her stomach as she shoved all her supplies into a pack, handing it over to Night.

"You head out first, I'll be right behind you. We don't need rumours because two of you walked out at once. Besides, you're a stronger flyer than I am. I'll meet you just north of the North Gate."

Alex waited for Night to leave, before shifting into her. The long black hair was left in the braid as she pushed out the front door. The stretch was deserted, luckily, and she leapt into the air. Slowly, painfully, she rose until she was above the houses.

Beating hard, she levelled out and took a moment to get her bearings. She oriented herself with the city and the sun, and began moving forward, skirting the inner city and its high walls. She flew as high as she dared, shivering with the cold. She hoped if any Etzori saw her they'd think she was a bird, and nothing more. The wings were different from Valyeria's, and the shape was throwing her off, not to mention it'd be arcs since she flew this high, or this fast.

Well it's not like I was great at this before either.

Soon the gate loomed into view, and Alex set down just outside the city, looking for her guide.
Last edited by Vluharqih on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 483
Nightshade Eld
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

On Shaky Wings

NIghtshade took the materials she was given with care. It would be easier for her to hold the supplies all things considered. She was a better flyer than Alex, that wasn't something that could even be called into question. The supplies would be safer in her talons. She wasn't the most graceful yet, but she took off into the air with a natural ease that came from years of flying. She was taught from the time her wings developed for flight by her father, and even though she couldn't be taught often thanks to the conditions of her raising she was taught enough to more than hold her own in the skies with practice.

Where Alex struggled at flying, Night had a keen sense of what to do. She banked north adjusting her body and wings to the direction. It was moments before she caught and updraft, something she had only recently learned how to do. Her wings were stronger so she got higher with less wasted energy, but the understanding of the air currents that came with practice was what allowed her to soar. Though her take off had been a little odd looking, it had been functional. But in the air itself she was a being of grace

The wind curled around her body spurring her forward. She knew her wings, she knew how to work them, and she was confident in her abilities. Hot air flew under her forcing her high into the sky at the next beat of her wings. Once she was confident with her height she spread her wings out mostly straight and allowed herself to glide through the air with ease. She moved from updraft to updraft constantly changing elevations and moving her body to better control how the wind affected her. She was nowhere near a master, but she had a competence that spoke of practice. She beat her wings once more going as high as she herself dared. She was on the border of where the air got to thin for her current abilities. Her wings had to work harder and so did her lungs and heart in order to supply the proper oxygen to those wings. Each day she went flying she would do this. Test her limits and try to push them. By flying as high as she possibly could on the very verge of passing out she would get used to it, right? At least that's what her logic dictated. So far it had seemed to work though, or that could just be the fact she was larger and stronger than when she was a young flyer.

She was able to stay up there for roughly half of her flight towards the north gate. Towards the end she accidentally let the wind sweep her up just a little farther, enough that she had to admit enough was enough and swoop down to a lower altitude before she passed out. She pulled in her wings letting herself spiral down slightly. The wind roared in her ears and whistled notes that gave her chills. She could feel the blood rush around inside of her, it was a freeing and amazing sensation that came with the confidence of the belief you would never fall. It was honestly something she believed. She fanned out her wings 10 or 20 feet above the ground causing a great gale to follow her to the earth. She pulled up a little bit and reached out with her feet. She grabbed onto the branch of a tree as she landed, she'd found over time it was easier to land in things like trees.

She waited for Alex to show up a little while and glided over when she found the other woman. "Ready to head out?"
word count: 635
Dear Mods,
Vluharqih
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Office
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

On Shaky Wings

CREDIT
The landing was a bit rough, as always. Alex relied on her tried and true method- hovering to half a dozen feet up, then dropping with her wings tucked in.

She stumbled a bit on landing, but didn't think anyone had noticed. The road was empty, and the only movement came from a quickly approaching shadow: Night.

Alex nodded at her question, quickly shifting into Valyeria. The form settled comfortably around her like a good pair of boots, and she took off to the air again, following Night.

She didn't pay any attention to Night's reaction to her new form; in fact she had forgotten that the woman didn't know about it already. Her flight was less clumsy this time, but she still flew about as well as a manatee would compared to Night's graceful arcs through the air.

She tried to watch the natural flyer as best she could while keeping up, and before she knew it they were there.

She dropped down into the tree, wincing as her wings caught on the branches, and her feet scrabbled at the branches. She didn't have the clawed feet that Night had, and she fell heavily, hitting what felt like every branch on her way down. Lying on her back in the dirt she groaned.

She slowly pushed herself upright, looking up to where their patient should be.

"Good thing you took the medical supplies, huh?"
Last edited by Vluharqih on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 242
Nightshade Eld
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

On Shaky Wings

Night was phased for a couple moments, but it also explained how Alex had gotten her wings so easily when practicing her form so she wasn't to horribly shocked. She made a mental note of the second form before quickly focusing on the task at hand. She of course led the way seeing as she knew the way, but she would often veer to the side and flank the new Valyeria to make sure she was still going the right way and wasn't having any kind of problems. The sight she found was interesting to say the very least. She held back small giggles as the watched this new Avriel formed creature stumble along like a child who hadn't learned how to completely walk yet. The movements were choppy and she obviously wasn't aware of some of the easier methods of movement. It worked, just not well.

There was a small spark of sympathy that found itself growing in her chest. To not know how to fly very well was the same as not being able to fly at all. You could only go so far so fast and so high. Valyeria looked like a strong wind would knock her out of the sky in a heart beat if she wasn't ready for it. Night made sure to go at a slower pace than usual, she liked to push all of her limits when fly because that was the only way she could get better. But she worried about how her companion would be able to keep up if Night started zipping around trees at a break neck speed, just barely missing a face full of bark. It wouldn't end well at the very least. So she kept her path true and straight like an arrow searching for a beasts heart.

She pointed out the area before they landed, she wasn't sure exactly what Valyeria would do for her landing. She herself had trouble landing for a long time. That was until she finally worked up the idea to watch birds and see how they functioned in flight. she noticed how larger birds tended to land, and after a time she was able to emulate the process. She swung towards a higher hanging tree branch extending her talons. But she aimed a little lower than the branch itself. At the last moment she pulled up a little ways her talons wrapping around the branch of the tree. She watched with was good deal of cringe at Valyeria's fall from grace, quite literally.

She jumped down branch after branch until she had gotten to the ground. Her feet spayed outwards keeping her land steady. On her way down she gentle pulled the man out of the tree and into her arms. She was careful as she could be with him as she hit the earth, but a groan still came from him as he was jostled. She set the man down first near the base of the tree propping him up against it. She then moved to take the medical supplies off her back smirking at the comment.

"Remind me to teach you how to fly better after this is said and done. It would be good practice for both of us," she laughed as her eyes glinted with amusement. "Just tell me what you need me to do, and that includes standing guard to make sure the hell bird is gone," she said with a small smirk.
word count: 585
Dear Mods,
Vluharqih
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Office
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

On Shaky Wings

CREDIT
Rolling her shoulders, Valyeria folded up her wings behind her back, wincing as tired muscles twanged. She watched as Night landed easily, setting the injured man down carefully. HIs groan sounded bad to Alex, the hint of a gurgle meaning there was likely fluid in his lungs. She grimaced- she wasn't nearly as skilled at surgery as she was with poultices and bandages.

She walked forward, taking the bag of supplies and spreading it out in front of her, quickly shifting back to human when the man wasn't looking.

"Yeah, for sure. Um...Could you start a fire for me, and fill the kettle with water? Then just keep watch. I'm sure I'll need you in a bit or two, but I've gotta get ready first." Her words were distant, her mind occupied with her patient.

Alex walked towards the man, crouching down beside him to better examine his wounds.

"Hey, what's your name? I'm Alex, and I'm here to help you, but I need you to tell me if I touch anywhere that hurts, okay? And I can't let you fall asleep, so I need you to stay with me." She kept up her talking, trying to keep him awake while she worked.

A massive gash in his shoulder was roughly bound with a dirty scrap of cloth, soaked through with blood. A myriad of other cuts and scrapes covered his body, and Alex pulled out her blade, quickly cutting off the man's clothing to better examine him. She felt no shame with nudity- she was far too concerned by what it had revealed.

The man's ribcage was broken- she counted two lumps under the skin where bones pushed out obscenely, and there was likely only a handful that weren't cracked. Breathing would be agony for him right now, and she marvelled that he was still conscious.

"Stubborn son of a bitch." Alex muttered, more to herself than anyone else, though a ghost of a smile that crossed his lips told her that he had heard.

She put her head down near the man's chest, and listened carefully, quickly realizing that the left lung was completely collapsed. She thanked her luck, Mr.Gardener having dealt with a patient with this exact situation last season. He liked to talk as he worked, and she had furiously scribbled down notes as his hands worked their magic.

She quickly scanned him for any other injuries, just like she had been taught, but only minor broken bones and cuts were elsewhere.
"Hey, get over here! I need your help! And bring the Clam Leaf!" Alex yelled at Night, uncaring at who, or what, could've heard. She took the Clam Leaf, shoving it between the man's teeth and forcibly moving his jaw to chew it, taking some and chewing it herself into a fine paste. The numbing properties didn't seem to work on Yludih, or at least on her, and it worked far better than other methods of locally numbing someone.

"Move him so he's lying down, his left arm raised above his head, then I'm going to need you to pass me the reed that's sitting in my bag, and help me hold him down. This isn't going to be pretty." Her speaking was muffled through the paste in her mouth, but the urgency in her tone was unmistakable. If they didn't act immediately, the man was going to die.
Last edited by Vluharqih on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 589
Nightshade Eld
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

On Shaky Wings

Nightshade followed every order as it was given. As she had been caught in situations before where she needed fire but couldn't make fire she had made it a habit of always having a tinderbox on her. She quickly gathered some branches even breaking a smaller one off of one of the trees trying to work as quickly as she could. The fire was up in moments. She glanced around and as luck would have it there was a river near by. "Does the water need boiled?" she asked. Depending on the answer she would act accordingly either leaving the kettle be or using some nearby branches to make something for it to hang off of.

Night couldn't help wincing slightly at the gurgled answers the man gave. She kept her eyes fixed on Alex trying to watch what she was doing, while every other sense was tuned to the forest. She listened carefully trying to pick up the sounds of a nearby beast that could mean trouble. Nothing. She breathed a sigh of relief just as Alex gave her next orders. She winced slightly in worry anything that didn't know they were here before knew they were here now. But that could be worried about later after this man was no longer dying.

She rushed over with the Clam Leaf solemnly handing it over to Alex. She had no clue what it did specifically but she could take a wild guess. Which is why a spark of curiosity came about from Alex taking the plant and chewing it herself. Alas it wasn't her place to question right now as much as it was to take orders. A life was at stake which meant far more than her curiosity. "Yes ma'am," Night barked moving the man with as much care as she could while trying to be quick. She opted for more cautious than quick however. She moved his arm to the position required and she handed Alex the reed. A sickening feeling started to boil in the pit of her gut at her fist inclination as to what was about to happen. "Right," she said bracing her hands against his right shoulder and arm while she wrapped her left leg around that of his right to keep it in place. She was trying to be as gentle as possible and the man let out a wispy and harsh kind of breath. If he wasn't as worn out as he must have been he would have been screaming most certainly.

Night had seen nasty. She had seen many nasty things in her years. From the time she was five she knew all the dirty secrets of the man who owned her father, she'd seen him with the maids and as the young master got older she saw him with the maids as well, willing and not. By the time she was 10 she had already killed someone in order to protect herself. A lower class thief that couldn't really even be called a bandit, but someone who wanted to do awful things to her none the less. She'd seen nasty plenty of times. But the fact something nasty was about to happen to someone she perceived as a moderately good person, that chilled her to the core. She took a breath to steady her own self as a steely look came to her eyes in silent determination.
word count: 576
Dear Mods,
Vluharqih
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Office
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

On Shaky Wings

CREDIT
Once the kettle was set on the fire, Alex knew she had some time. The tea needed to be boiling when the patient drank it- cold-brewed tea seemed to make the patients sick as often as not, and there was just something about a nice hot cup of tea.

Bringing herself back to the present, Alex steeled herself. Hacking, she spit the wad of Clam Leaf into her hand, smearing it liberally across the entry point. Five down, level with the nipple. Her probing fingers didn't provoke any reaction, and she knew it was a good sign; the Clam Leaf was obviously working. He seemed disoriented and barely stirred, but this wasn't nearly as good. Alex steeled herself, and carefully inserted the knife between his ribs,a trickle of blood following the blade as she removed it. The man grunted, his muscles straining as the pain won through the Clam Leaf, before passing out.

She reached inside, carefully feeling for the lung. Her finger slipping past the bone, and through the muscles, suddenly hitting an odd texture. She probed it carefully, quickly finding the hole. The fourth rib had punctured the lung, a tear only about the size of her finger.

"It's not too bad. One of the ribs broke and punctured his lung, but I think we can still save him."

She reached for the reed, carefully inserting it along her finger. Once it was seated inside the man's lung, Alex pinched off the wound around it, creating a rough seal. Moments later, a bloody phlegm began seeping from the reed, and soon a puddle had developed.

Alex watched silently, her eyes darting between her patient's face, the dripping fluids and the wound. "Come on... If it doesn't stop soon we're in trouble. I need you to get me the Leechbane berries now- he should be fine to leave for now."

Alex's voice was much calmer than it had been before- at this point it was a waiting game. Once she got the Leechbane she squeezed the juice into his mouth, trusting his reflex to swallow.

"Do me a favour? Listen to his breathing and tell me if there's any changes." From her position Alex couldn't also listen to his breathing, but she needed to know if she was solving the problem or not.

Bits ticked by as she waited anxiously. So slowly she wasn't sure if she was imagining it, the flow ran out, and she sighed. "He'll make it." She paused, looking down at the patient. "Now for the gruesome part. I need you to come over here and hold open his wound. I need to put this padding on. It's specially made, and seals it so we don't get more blood in the lungs."

She hadn't spared much thought to what the woman was thinking during all this, but she belatedly hoped Night wasn't squeamish. It was one thing to fight, when a moment's hesitation could lead to your death. But this was cold, impersonal, medical. If the woman backed out now, the man could be in serious trouble.
Last edited by Vluharqih on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 532
Nightshade Eld
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

On Shaky Wings

Night handed over the Leechbane berries watching with careful eyes. There was worry but a strange kind of hope in them. This was going to work, it had to work. She knew it would work. She remained quiet until she got her next order. Upon listening Night nodded leaning down closer so she could listen to the breathing. It was faint but it seemed at the very least to remain consistent if not slowly get better. She sighed feeling herself slightly relax. The words 'He'll make it' made her so much more at ease. And then came the second part.

Night didn't like this, she didn't like this at all. But blood didn't scare her anymore, nor did guts. There was a relaxed and solemn expression on her face as she nodded, untangling herself from her awkward position to move next to Alex. There was no hesitating for Night, and if there was she wasn't showing it. In all honesty she felt like she was gonna pass out. There was something different in seeing a bandit lying on the ground bleeding out, or poking around the guts of your next meal; in comparison to holding open the wound of dying colleague they were two different things entierly. But either way she knew how serious the situation was.

She was careful with her claws, making sure the uncut talons didn't cause any damage. In a way it made things easier for her since she didn't have to touch as much of the wound. She tried to glance in any other direction while still glancing back occasionally to make sure she was doing the right thing. If there was anything she didn't want to do it was look at the wound. But what had to be done had to be done. She swallowed a rise of bile in the back of her throat and she forced down a sensation of dizziness. What had to be done had to be done. She repeated that line over and over to herself in her head while she tried to make the job as easy for Alex as possible and hopefully work better. She wanted this man to survive, oh so badly did she want him to live. This wasn't gonna be another person on the list of people she couldn't save.

"You better not die on us you stupid f..." the words trailed off starting as a quiet mumble and turning into little more than the moving of her lips towards the end. But the way she ended the phrase seemed pretty obvious. There was a strange look on her face, the crossing of her brows combined with the wrinkling at the corners of her eyes as they narrowed. The way her forehead bunched up and her shoulders seemed to hunch slightly as she did the best she could with whatever orders and job she was given. The look was indescribable.
word count: 496
Dear Mods,
Vluharqih
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Office
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

On Shaky Wings

CREDIT
Carefully, Alex placed the seal around the reed, poking it in deep so it fit snugly around the wound, sealing it off. She carefully smeared a small amount of the Night Scarf cream across the wound to make sure it didn't get infected and closed the wound, packing it with bandages so the reed couldn't move. She gave it a light wiggle as she finished, happy with how it had turned out. She smiled a tight smile at Night, nodding for the woman to release her talons. It was time to take a look at that shoulder.

She pulled off the bandages, wincing as she tore open the beginnings of a clot. There's nothing I can do for that... A wound this big needs to be sewn shut.

Two large puncture wounds were visible in his shoulder, and the bone was shattered. Alex quickly sewed the wounds closed, covering them with more Night Scarf cream. His entire arm on that side was a mess, and it was well beyond her ability to heal, but something needed to be done before he was moved.

"Can you grab me the kettle and bring it over here?"

She carefully added some of the hot tea to the clay she had brought, making it malleable as she made a rough cast around the man's chest and arm. She leaned back at last, the worst of his wounds managed.

His breathing was shallow, and the reed whistled every time he breathed in, but there was new colour to his face, and the blood didn't seem to be seeping out of the reed anymore. She carefully dripped the tea into his mouth, drop by drop, waiting to make sure he swallowed before adding more. The amount she was giving him wouldn't do much, but it would start the healing process.

"The reed will have to be taken out in a couple of trials, but I'd advise bringing him to that other doctor in the Inner City. With the state his arm is in, I doubt Mr.Gardener or I can do anything for it, but I've heard good things about that doctor."

Her hands were covered in blood and clay, dripping off her fingers as she moved them. She rose, walking over to the nearby river. The water was frigid, her fingers tingling as they went numb. She stared as the last vestiges of blood washed away from them, leaving her hands as clean as ever. Sighing, she rose and returned to the fire.

"Okay. I'm not sure how strong you are, but if you think you can carry him the whole way back, that works. otherwise we're gonna have to send a cart for him. Thoughts?"

Just as she finished, an explosion of colour burst from the nearest bush, headed straight for her.
Last edited by Vluharqih on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 479
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Etzos”