All the fun for the Fair? [Moderated]

17th of Vhalar 716

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

All the fun for the fair?

17th Vhalar, 716
For Reference

The notice was pinned up on a bounty board and Duncan had seen it more than once that trial. It was like it was following him, almost. It was a sign looking for mercenaries, bodyguards and help in The Travelling Dragon. Free travel to Krome, leaving on this trial, four trials there, four trials work, four trials back. The pay for twelve trials work was very generous and it was clear what the duties would be. Making sure that the circus staff would be safe, keeping trouble to a minimum. Somewhere to sleep was included as were all meals. Interested candidates should be in Ye Olde Inn at the eighth bell after mid-trial and ask for Logan.
It coincided with a particularly quiet time in Duncan's schedule and there was no doubt that the money would be useful. Also, something which caught his eye was a very slight, almost invisible mark on each and every notice that he saw. The feint, nearly imperceptible mark of a coin, maybe? Or... something. Definitely something. The thing that was odd about it was, once he had seen it, then it was almost impossible to not see it and it was on each and every one. Whatever it was, it was important enough that someone had gone to a fair amount of trouble to put there.

So, on what might well turn out to be 'that fateful Vhalar trial', Duncan had the time to follow this job if he wished it. Of course, if he did not wish to, he could ignore it. There were always jobs for a mercenary, after all and this one might end up being too far away, too much trouble or just too much like hard work.

But on the other hand... what could possibly go wrong?!
Off Topic
If Duncan is going to be going, please just let me know in the post, or in an offtopic like this, what equipment etc he's taking with him.... it might be important, you know!
word count: 347
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Will be very intermittent / possibly MIA as Peg until RL learns to behave itself. Please direct queries for Scalv / Viden to Avalon and any site stuff to Basilisk. Thanks!
Duncan Oisin
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 36
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The circus job was a good opportunity, Duncan had been assuring himself of such ever since he'd decided to go ahead with the it. Despite how clear the notice had been, Duncan still found himself to be unsure and uncertain, having never had anything to do with any circus before. The duties the notice had detailed were familiar to him, and weren't at all a problem, it was simply that he wondered what trouble a travelling circus would be able to get into. It'll do me good, He thought to himself, shoulders squared in determination as he lead Tac and his wagon full of belongings towards Ye Olde Inn. Some time away from Andaris and Venora will help. And it's a circus after all, if that can't distract me nothing can.

He had nowhere safe to leave his belongings, and so brought everything he owned with him, neatly packed into his wagon and pulled along by Tac, his horse. In any case, he was rather frugal with his belongings, keeping only the tools and weapons that he needed to survive, so the majority of what he was bringing would be of use to him anyway.

He made it to the Inn at time, and after ensuring that the wagon wasn't going anywhere, he made his way inside. Waving down the nearest barmaid he first ordered a glass of water, and when she returned with the drink he asked after this Logan. "He's a bloke from the circus." He clarified, holding out the notice he'd taken for her to see. She bustled off in search of her manager to ask, and Duncan gazed down at the paper in his hands as he waited, eye's zeroing in almost immediately to the mark. The circus's coat of arms perhaps? He wondered to himself, studying it closely. Or... A just a decoration maybe?
Off Topic
Since he doesn't have a home to leave his things, Duncan will be bringing everything from his character sheet with him, but most notably; Tac the Horse, a wagon, tent, 2 gladius', a shortbow and arrows, along with various other supplies.
word count: 362

"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night,
and when you move fall like a thunderbolt"
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

"Logan!?" the barmaid nodded and then let out a swift, sharp whistle, gesturing behind Duncan. The man who stood and walked over to Duncan and the barmaid was of medium height, thin and with wispy brown hair and sparkling brown eyes apparently dancing with mirth. However, he stood and moved over, looking at Duncan with an expression which told that he was sizing him up. After a few trills of this scrutiny, the man's face broke into a beaming smile and he offered his hand "Welcome! Yes, you are here to take the job yes? Good. I am Logan and you are hired!"

Not much of a job interview, all things considered. But hey, Duncan got the job so what was not to like, when all was said and done?

"So, what is your name?" Logan asked and he then, after giving Duncan the job, went about asking him the sort of questions which Duncan might have expected before the job was his. The man was (or appeared) very interested in the answers Duncan gave, whipping out a notebook and starting a new page, on which he wrote 'Duncan' and then made key point notes to Duncan't answers. The questions were fairly straightforward, experience, skill, who he had worked with, an example of a situation he'd been in, whether he had any other skills which could help the caravan and then camp (such as cooking, he explained), what Duncan's favourite food was (not an entirely usual thing to ask!) etc. Logan bought Duncan an ale, should he wish one, or whatever he wished to drink; Logan himself sat sipping a glass of red wine.

"We leave in a break. If you can help to finish setting up, we'd be grateful" he said and either excused himself should Duncan have last-minute things to do, or walked with Duncan to the area where the circus caravans were getting ready. Either way, it was a break later that they left the city, the brightly coloured caravans, painted and decorated in all sorts of vivid shades and hues. Duncan's supplies, wagon and horse were part of it, but Logan spoke to him "I'm assigning you to be bodyguard to one specific member of our crew. So, you'll share her caravan, with your own bed and area of course. She's in that 'van over there" he motioned to a caravan painted to resemble a starry night sky, sparkling and twinkling. "You'll be looking after Jen'ine. She's the fortune teller for us. In there, in you go" he said and motioned to the caravan itself.

Should Duncan go in then the caravan interior had the heavy scent of incense, was full of drapes of dark silks and satins, and sitting there at the far end of the caravan, behind a circular table which had cards, a crystal ball, bones and all sorts of paraphernalia on it, was a beautiful young woman. She looked every inch the gypsy fortune teller with her tight bodice, headscarf, flowing skirts and wonderfully long fingers entwined together.

'Duncan? Come in. Would you like a reading, guard of my body?' she asked with a smile of her full red lips. She had a constant air of vague amusement about her as she looked at him. 'I can tell you your future, or your past. What would you like to know?' she asked, mirth dancing in her dark eyes.
word count: 585

Will be very intermittent / possibly MIA as Peg until RL learns to behave itself. Please direct queries for Scalv / Viden to Avalon and any site stuff to Basilisk. Thanks!
Duncan Oisin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Duncan was somewhat set aback as Logan held his hand out, his cheerful mood at odds with the somewhat surly mercenary. Duncan quirked a brow as he was hired on the spot, but shook the man's hand none the less and introduced himself when asked. Following that, Duncan drank his ale and answered as he was asked, though his responses were kept short and gruff, making it clear that he wasn't a mercenary that was prone to chatter. To experience he explained that he'd been a mercenary since his late teens, and that he was skilled enough to handle most things expected in his profession. For other skills he had little to add explaining simply that he was skilled in martial areas only, but that he'd help where he could. Physical labour for example, wasn't a problem for him. When Logan questioned him about his favourite food, Duncan paused, eyebrow raising again, but took a moment to think it over nonetheless. There was a large difference between what he frequently had to eat and dealt with, and what he truly enjoyed to eat. "I'll eat anything, so long as it's not rolling with maggots, but I could kill for peaches." He said finally, deciding on his favourite fruit.

Finishing off his ale, Duncan stood and accompanied Logan back outside to help prepare. He found the manual labour to be somewhat soothing, and after a somewhat the awkward moment it took to settle with those he was working with, Duncan was able to work quickly, allowing his mind to focus on little other than the physical world. Finally, Logan returned, and instructed him to join one of the many painted caravans. Duncan frowned minutely, but did as he was told, stopping by his own plain and ragged wagon to collect his array of weapons first. He was somewhat apprehensive about guarding a fortune teller- he knew so little about the profession, and a small superstitious part of him was fearful that this was just another branch of magic's he so loathed. Regardless, he was being paid to do a job, and so he pulled himself inside the caravan, sweeping aside and ducking under the heavy drapes, nose immediately filled with the heady scent of incense.

Duncan paused upon catching sight of the young fortune teller, tongue seizing for a moment as it usually did when the mercenary spied attractive lads and lases, but he unstuck it hurried to murmur a low greeting to the woman. He came closer, belt clanking and weighed down with his swords and bow, until he stood across the table, eye's darting over the odd assortment spread about the top. "You think you can see my past then?" He asked suspiciously, a somewhat mistrustful frown on his face. The greater part of Duncan failed to believe such a thing was even possible, but at heart he was as superstitious as his mother, and that wench had enforced some very bizarre practices on her son in his youth. He could almost hear her voice scolding him, warning him not to meddle with such heathenous practices as witchcraft and fortune telling. Duncan nodded slowly though, ignoring the apprehensive feeling beginning to boil in his gut. "I suppose. Tell me my past, and we'll see if there's any truth to you."
word count: 562

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

"Any truth to me? Oh child, don't you know the beginning of it? There's truth to us all, balls to bone, flesh to blood", she shook her head like he was a foolish child and she gestured for him to sit down opposite her. Whether he did, or did not, she moved her hands over the table, one moving and the other, like she was searching for something which hovered about six inches above the table. As her hands moved, she finally stopped, hands over a deck of cards, but still not touching them. She looked down at them, raised an eyebrow and smiled "Cards for you then, guard of my body. Pictures when you want words, I think."

She took ahold of the cards, fingertips holding them and she shuffled them. She offered them to him to do the same should he wish and then she took them back. Three cards, one laid next to the other she placed on the table and she looked at them with an expression of interest on her face. "More than you seem to be. A shadow hanging over you, though. Doubt, yes, but more than that. A lack of belief in yourself, you aren't good enough in your own eyes."

Looking up at Duncan she frowned slightly and shook her head, then went back to her reading "You've tried. You've tried to be who they want you to be. Always, trying to be who they want you to be. Better educated, better read. Taller, stronger. You have been a man of opposites. Wise but ignorant, knowledgeable but uneducated, protector of others but hurt by them." She tapped the middle card on which there was a demon-devil-looking thing drawn.

"You've been betrayed and you are in doubt. You don't know what to do about it and so you live where you are not. That doesn't work, child. Decide. You must decide. Having decided, act", she shrugged and smiled at him, leaning her head on her hands as she rested her elbows against the table. "Does that sound like truth to you, guard of my body?" She seemed amused by him and waited, intently to hear his answer.
word count: 380

Duncan Oisin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Duncan quirked a brow and sat, felling somewhat like a chastised child as Jen'ine scolded him and shook her head. He'd always had a difficult time being his usual, unshakable self when around beautiful people, and it seemed this weakness was beginning to lead him down another dark rabbit hole as he silently and wordlessly obeyed the woman. He watched closely as she shuffled the cards, watching for any slight of hand or trick, but seeing nothing out of the ordinary. His eye's narrowed further when she offered them to him, and he took them, shuffling them twice to be sure, before passing them back. Duncan's gaze flicked between the fortune teller and the cards as she dealt them, though she gave little away. The cards themselves meant very little to him, and so that majority of his attention was devoted to Jen'ine and her next words.

Immediately, his relationship with Alistair was brought to the forefront of his mind. It was true, he'd put himself out there when he'd met Alistair, had done his best to be worthy of the other man, who was so handsome, intelligent and noble that Duncan had felt as though he'd stepped into another world when they were together. And truth again, he'd felt deeply wounded when the two had parted on that last, awful encounter. Making a decision however, was something he was carefully avoiding, knowing that whatever he did decide would only hurt him even more. Duncan was unsure what to think, and lent back before the woman, pinning her with a suspicious stare. "It sounds like I should've asked for my future." He sighed, rubbing his hands over his face

"So, uhh, why do you in particular need a guard?" Duncan questioned, his tone curious and light, attempting to gain back some of the confidence that had waned, as well as change the subject while he decided how he felt about his charge. Jen'ine was an intimidating women, less so in appearance and more in manner, and Duncan wasn't quite sure how to feel or act around her. "Fortune telling dangerous work or something?" He hadn't expected to be guarding a single person when he'd taken the job, thinking instead he'd be preceding or following the group to ward off wild animals or bandits. Then again, he supposed she may be a valuable asset to the trope, if her skills and prowess in fortune telling was legitimate, as Duncan was beginning to feel it was.
word count: 429

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

She smiled and shook her head "If you had, you'd wished you'd asked for your past. That's the way of it, it's never enough, no matter what." She sat back and looked at him with an honest and open appraisal of his form. "You're adrift", her eyes roamed over him with an intensity which suggested that she could almost see into his soul. "And you're choosing to be. Why would you choose an illusion over the truth?" It obviously seemed like something which was nonsensical to her.

But then, he asked his question and she sighed. "The sight can be a curse as well as a blessing. Truth is a tricky mistress. All of that sort of rubbish. I spoke the truth to a paying customer. Turned out he didn't want the truth at all and now, things are difficult." There was no doubting the truth of that and she smiled. "There'll be an attack. There'll be a death. So, you and I are going to be good friends until it's done, because I don't want to be the death."

She looked at Duncan and smiled. If she was concerned about her premature demise, she didn't show it. "Now you know all I know, guard of body. It will happen, there is no doubt. The only question is how you will make sure it isn't me. What are the rules for this engagement of ours?"

Off Topic
Apologies for the delay!
word count: 259

Duncan Oisin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

► Show Spoiler
Duncan hummed and leant back thoughtfully. He supposed he could understand the array of threats that may follow this woman; if her gift was a strong or as true as she claimed she'd likely be a huge target. He could imagine countless nobles, kings and criminals would be itching to get their hands on such a woman, and use her sight to serve their own interests, if he was being truthful that very thought appealed to a small part of himself. And to have a jilted customer apparently making the woman's job difficult, to the point that a murder loomed in their future, Duncan's interests were safely piked.

"A death?" Duncan raised a brow. "Not me I hope, I enjoy the land of the living too much to go so soon." He replied with a light, almost carefree tone. Truthfully, he found it somewhat difficult to really care about such things. He would die one day regardless, and his life was nothing to brag about, why should he worry about his demise finding him sooner rather than later? Frowning softly, Duncan pushed such thoughts aside, mildly disturbed by his own lack of car for his own life.

He diverted his attention back to the job, and cast a critical gaze over Jen'ine. "Where do you sleep? In here?" He twisted to study the caravan. "Is that the only entry? Do you carry a weapon with you?" Duncan hummed thoughtfully, most concerned with the risk of someone sneaking into the 'van while the circus slept. "I'll be parking my wagon beside your van, and my tent will be under the entryway. Does the circus employ guards to patrol the camp at night?"
word count: 310

Incubus
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Profession: Storyteller - Rank 2
Renown: 0
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Duncan

Knowledge
Tactics: Guarding An Entrance
Tactics: Determining an Employers Risk Factors
Tactics: Gathering Information on Guard Presence
Tactics: Establishing Risk Factors of a Camp
Observation: Watching for card tricks
Animal Husbandry: Leading a Horse with Wagon
Strength: Loading up Caravans
Interrogation: Questions that leave no room for refusals

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Fame: N/A
Devotion: N/A

Comments: If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please let me know.
word count: 76
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”