And even MORE linguistics/languages questions!

0th of Cylus 0

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Quio
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Renown: 113
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 3

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

I'm aware that a couple of people have already asked questions on this topic, and I just read through those and I think(?) my questions are unique from theirs, so I thought I'd ask.

Linguistics is a skill. To level a skill you need knowledge. Specifically, 5 at competent, 10 at expert, etc etc.

However, linguistics ties in very closely to the leveling up of languages as well. And leveling languages ALSO requires knowledge.

So my questions are:

1.) The language leveling system requires 1 knowledge for an easy language at broken, 2 for conversational, and 3 for fluent. Does this mean you need a total of 3 knowledge to get to fluent, or you need a total of 6?

2.) Do you need separate knowledge for both linguistics and each language, or can your language-specific knowledge count towards your linguistics skill? If they are counted separately, then to be legendary in linguistics you'd need 20 linguistics knowledge, plus however many knowledge you would need for each language you have (up to 20 languages, with separate knowledge for each). Is that right?

And sort of about skills but also sort of about languages:

3.) If you begin with a competent skill (as part of your starting package), yet it usually takes 5 knowledge to level to competent, do you still need those 5 knowledge before you can level up past competent, or are the first 5 assumed with the starting package (in other words, would you still need to get 10 knowledge before you could level to expert, or only 5)? If they are assumed, then can the same be assumed about the broken language you start with (that you don't need the first 1-3 knowledge that are usually required for a broken-level language)?

Sorry if the wording on any of these is confusing; it's sort of hard to explain.
word count: 327
A L I A S E S
Quio
Freeman
Ruq, Iaan, Korim
Image Image Image
Linika
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Apothecary
Renown: 169
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

1.) 6

2.) Linguistics will be more the study of similarities in structure, origins, parts of speech and what not between different languages; making it easier to learn new ones because you recognize these similarities as you encounter new languages. Whereas the knowledges for each individual language only apply to the characteristics of encounters involving that one language. Because of this, the knowledge requirements for Linguistics will be over and above those for each individual language.

3.) I'm just a little unsure if I am understanding this. So let me just say: as a general rule, you can't start with more than 25 in any skill, so you won't be starting at Competent. But, you can get reward points on Character Sheet approval. If you should get these bonus points in a skill you already started out at 25, you can start out at with that skill at higher than 25 points. If Linguistics should be such a skill, this has two effects. The first is that you CAN start with the bonus two broken languages for being at Competent level. The other being that you still need to get those five Linguistics knowledges before you can move that skill along any further.
word count: 206
- Poison -

"Shelf Life'...What an ironically contradictory concept."
- Linika Amarinthine -
Quio
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Renown: 113
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 3

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Thanks for your answers! They really helped. ^_^ Sorry for any confusion, but you figured out what I was getting at anyways. Cheers!
word count: 22
A L I A S E S
Quio
Freeman
Ruq, Iaan, Korim
Image Image Image
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”