[The Bronze Boar] A Shiner (Patrick)

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Rei
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Healer and Gardener
Renown: 49
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

28 Vhalar 716
Though she was groggy, she could feel the pain distinctly. Her face had ached and throbbed more than she had expected over the last three trials. The right side of her face was a nice purple and black from the cheek area around her lip to the bottom half of her eye. A bit of brown and yellow were creeping in, the bruise finally starting to take a turn towards healing. Her lip still bore a scab on the cut, though it had gotten significantly smaller. Rei stretched, sitting on the edge of the bed, before she got up.

The morning was going to be slow as it had been every day for the past three trials. The head at the infirmary had given her a few days off due to her condition. Rei had appreciated it, knowing she had dodged retelling her minor trauma over and over again. It would all come tomorrow, though, when she returned to work. She would have to hope there were few patients and that most of them were polite. She moved to the kitchen and fixed herself some breakfast and tea, adding a pinch of herbal powder for pain.

Rei drank tea and sat in one of her chairs, feet propped up, reading her book on herbs for most of the day. She was beginning to get acquainted with treatments for fever, cough, and congestion. The day passed sluggishly, but finally the evening came and her stomach growled in protest at lack of food. She looked to the kitchen, considering cooking for only a moment, before she decided she would simply go out and get something. She decided on a tavern, thinking that her black eye would be noticed less in such an establishment.

She had dressed quickly in a pleated cotton wine colored skirt that fell to her calves, pulling on a pale yellow cotton blouse and tucking it in. She slipped on a black vest with decorative threadwork, brushing out her hair. Rei looked about as good as she was going to get with a shiner. With a sigh she set out for The Bronze Boar. She arrived in no time at all, recognizing Patrick working the bar this evening. A quick flush of embarrassment rushed through her as she approached the bar, taking a seat. “Pat, how about a glass of that Zemoni and a bowl of stew?” She smiled at him, wondering what she must look like.
word count: 411
Patrick
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Trouble
Renown: 575
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

If there were ever a time where the powers that be were kind, it was when a night seemed a little slower than the average one Patrick worked. Sure it didn't really spell out business very enthusiastically in terms of paying customers, but hey what could one do when there was actually a little less revelry to deal with. At least many of the usual customers he'd see were still here to share their stories, indulge in their beverages, and yes keep that pleasant company intact while others would come and go. Thus the same usual routine followed at a much nicer pace for Patrick, a minor buzz in his head from enjoying his own favors as he worked the late shift tonight.

The bar tender had grabbed a platter of cleaned mugs and glasses in exchange for the ones that were used earlier, and came out of the kitchen area when another one had walked in. He'd only glanced long enough to notice it'd in fact been a woman, but not long enough to recognize her as Rei. "Evenin' lass, come on in an' have a seat." He encouraged with his back towards her, he wanted to hurry with putting away the washed dishes so he could give her his full attention once there. When she'd spoke to ask for Zemoni with some stew though, both that and her voice quickly gave away who had graced his presence. "Well now, fer you Rei I'd be more than happy t' get some." He enthused with a wide grin as he turned to see that wonderful face, only what he found was that its beauty had in fact been marred by violence.

"The sard?!" He exclaimed aloud well enough for others in the bar to hear, a few looks were dragged his way from those at their tables. There was a moment where he just stood there and gawked because of what he saw, not because of how bad it looked but because of the fact... well it did look pretty bad, but it was Rei! Sarding Rei!! "Wha- What happened t' ya lass?! Who's ass am I kickin'?! Better not be Wendell's, I know it ain't Wendell's! Is it?!" It didn't dawn on him until after his fit that he'd probably overreacted a bit, more than he should've considering he didn't really know Rei personally.

Still that didn't change the fact she didn't deserve that to her, not by Wendell or anybody else for that matter. Really he doubted it was Wendell because the man never acted violent once, never presented a single problem out of the many times he'd came here to drink. Quick to take a deep breath and get his temper back in check, he cleared his throat and looked over to his side. "Sorry I... dunno what came over me. Lemme get your stew ready and then you can tell me everythin'." He reasoned in a much softer fashion, no point in demanding to know something that wasn't really his business anyway. Still he hoped she would tell him, because right now he had assumptions he really wanted cleared up. When he walked back into the kitchen he sorted through the cabinets to pull out a bowl and eating utensil, the stew over the fire pit bubbled as he dipped a ladle inside to pour her a serving. With a piece of bread grabbed he slightly rushed out to return to Rei, the stew rested before her as he turned around to grab the essentials for her drink.
word count: 610
"Freedom is everything."

NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

At first it appeared that Pat didn’t recognize the glaring blackened side of her face and perhaps hadn’t even recognized her. He named her a very generic ‘lass’ when inviting her to sit. When she placed her order, however, he seemed to recognize the voice and that she had asked for exactly what she had last time she was here. Still, though, there was no reaction. Perhaps because his back was to her? Or dare she hope that it really wasn’t as bad as it looked in the mirror? Perhaps she should have used some face paint, because it did seem that others were noticing, though they were being polite.

Rei nearly fell backwards off the stool when Patrick turned around and finally reacted to the sight of her face by swearing so loud nearly the whole bar looked at them. Her cheeks flushed a deep shade of red, her hopes of going mostly unnoticed had now been dashed as almost every eye examined her bruised face. Patrick responded almost exactly like Wendell, minus the claim that she was his woman. She wondered if all men reacted this violently to a woman being hurt. Though if it was an ass kicking he was looking for, he was a bit late for the party. Wendell had already taken care of that.

She needed time to compose herself and let Patrick go off to get her stew fixed and her drink, nodding that she understood and would be filling him in when he returned. It didn’t take long before a wooden bowl with hot stew and a hunk of bread was set before her and he was working on pouring her wine. He apologized for his reaction, though it really wasn’t necessary. “Heavens no, it wasn’t Wendell. He reacted just about as well as you did, though. If you want to kick someone’s ass, I’m afraid he’s already done that for you.”

Dipping the spoon in the stew, she blew some of the steam from the top before hesitantly taking a sip. It wasn’t as hot as it looked, so she took the whole bite. “I went out to the Dust Quarter. Sometimes the infirmary sends people out to attend to the sick there. I was patching up a woman that had been badly beaten and her drunk of a husband came storming in, really angry that I was there helping her. He almost choked me to death, and, well, you see the rest. I did manage to sock him right in the groin though.” She smiled weakly, at least somewhat proud of herself for defending herself the best she could.

“Anyways, I went to Wendell’s place and he was furious, demanded I take him to whoever it was. I wanted to know if the woman was ok, so I did. He gave him a right nasty beating. The wife wasn’t very happy, though.” She took a bite of bread and chewed it gingerly, the action making her face sore. “I’ve been teasing him, though. He called me his woman. Seems like a big deal for Wendell.”
word count: 528
Patrick
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

As he finished with pouring her drink he sighed in relief after hearing her defend Wendell, the part of him that remained apprehensive finally eased as he felt reassured of his beliefs. "Its a damn shame, I would've loved t' see the bastard's face after he'd been put in his place." He admitted in both spite and jealousy, not because it was Wendell but because he wasn't actually there to help. Somebody who was like Rei was far to nice, probably for her own good granted he soon heard the story. As he'd rested her glass of wine before her he looked at her face, eyes narrowed somberly as he felt pity for the poor woman.

The Dust Quarter wasn't a place someone should go alone for sure but it sounded like she'd did just that, a reckless decision on her part but he couldn't blame her. Wait yes he could! It was a damn stupid decision no matter who it was! And yet there he was somehow willing to pardon it because... because it was Rei!

This counter thought process only bugged him further as he couldn't make up his mind, and on top of that the words she quoted from Wendell being his. Why did that also bug him slightly? Forget that! Wendell did the right damn thing because he didn't bring Patrick along! Wait. What skich is this? Wendell was in the wrong too! Ilaren's fist this was too much to handle now, he should've left the damn alcohol alone earlier. It wasn't helping! So he had to do what would naturally help him at this rate, turn once more and grab a bottle in his wretched state of mind and merely opened the damn thing. He didn't care anymore, once the taste of wine hit his tongue he just started drinking until he couldn't manage. First it was just a tilt back but slowly as he drank the bottles bottom rose a little higher, and then a little more higher, and then finally just a little bit more higher until he stopped for air.

"Here's my initial thought!" He sort of blurted out with a slur. "I think you meant well but it was... very stupid to go it alone. Wendell of course is Wendell, so he's naturally entitled to say and do what he does. What he didn't do is come t' get me even though I've served him drinks for Ilaren knows how long now." The sweet savory taste of the Zemoni came bubbling up in a elongated burb as he shrugged it off casually, a few of the other patrons already laughing to themselves quietly at his sudden display of behavior. "This is actually really quite good by the way, I've never drank a bottle t' me self before." He finished as he went in for another round of guzzles, the bottle's end elevated even higher and higher as he aimed to drink the whole thing down in one go.
word count: 518
"Freedom is everything."

NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Pat set her glass of wine next to her bowl and Rei eagerly took the class, swirling the liquid in it, before taking a whiff. It smelled sweet and fruity, just as she would imagine from tasting it. She took a long sip. It did burn her lip where the cut was still healing, but it would be worth it for the little buzz and the dulling of sensation she would get from having it. She probably shouldn’t be drinking it with the herb powder she was taking for pain, but she was never as careful with her own health as she was with others.

Rei probably shouldn’t have gotten involved. As soon as she had walked into the dilapidated house, she had taken one look at the woman and known that her husband was beating her. She wasn’t sure why she felt safe enough to stay and tend to the woman. Did she think the husband wasn’t coming home? Perhaps she thought he wouldn’t react that way with her? She wasn’t sure. She didn’t have much experience with people prone to violence. No one ever caused a scene or harmed anyone at the infirmary and her childhood had been in peaceful Desnind.

A brow perked up as she watched Pat turn and grab the wine bottle, lifting it up to chug it like it was water. She took another bite of her stew, having eaten most of it now, her eyes trained to him and unmoving. She watched him until the bottle was empty. “You’re probably right, I probably shouldn’t have gone by myself. I probably shouldn’t have gotten involved. I knew from looking at her that her husband had done it.” She finished eating her soup and pushed the empty bowl forwards on the bar.

“But I’m a healer, Pat. Just like it’s your job to serve drinks, it’s my job to fix people. Now Wendell, I’m sure, would have loved the help. But he was so angry, I’m not even sure he knew his own name for half a break.” She had never seen someone that mad. Rei was noticing, though, that Pat seemed a bit peeved that he didn’t get his own licks in on the guy. Not that she could help it, though. He just didn’t happen to be there at the time. “It is good, though may I recommend a glass?” She took her own glass and downed the rest of the wine. “I’ll have another, please, provided you didn’t drink your whole stock.” She was teasing, of course. “Why does it matter so much, anyway? You’ve only just met me.”
word count: 457
Patrick
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"Mattered?" He looked a little defensive at Rei when he repeated the word. "When did I say it mattered?" He retorted to evade the question entirely, he did after all didn't want to just pour his heart out before her; not with everyone else already staring anyways. Finally the lady in back came out to see just what he'd started going on about, eyes in a focus much like Rei's while Patrick continued his rant. She seemed quite older with a few wrinkles in her face, her lightened brown hair nearing to a gray to reflect her transition in years. "I mean not that it doesn't matter, because clearly I'm the asshole who doesn't care about others. It's what I'm good at after all, that and pourin' drinks o' course." He sat the empty bottle down with a soft hiccup as he pivoted just a little to grab another bottle, the cork popped out momentarily afterwards as he refilled her glass almost to the brim. "How's that?"

"Oh my, he's already been thundered." She stated as she moved in to pick up the bowl next to Rei. "Would you do me a favor dear? See this boy gets home safe and sound, lest he roam the Dust Quarter alone later on." It was a request that sported concern for Patrick, as though he had a certain habit of drinking too much before the end of the night.

"What?! Piss off wit' that! I can get home by me self." He argued as the other customers started to laugh once more. "Whatever... I need air." He finally sighed as he moved past the lady and headed for the door, he was just about done with his shift anyways. As far as he knew the only thing he needed was himself and the bottle, that was the only company he wanted at the moment. Right now his mind seemed to be in a whirl of confusion at the things he'd felt about both Rei and Wendell, and her words were something that definitely stuck hard in his mind. "Sure we'd only recently met, but why should any of that matter anyways!" He muttered to himself as he opened the door and moved onward to walk outside, the cool crisp air a sudden change from the warmth of the tavern behind him. He didn't want Rei to be around when that moment would finally come, where he would finally feel himself too fragile to keep himself together.

He wanted to hide away and drink this memory into oblivion for all he could, to forget that he even felt the way he did and for whatever reason. It made no sense to him because he'd been fine and on his own for the past year, so why did he now suddenly feel so empty and alone? Why now did he feel himself a little happier and yet a little jealous when he thought of Wendell and Rei? No. Forget thinking about it and forget about figuring it out, the bottle was all he needed and already he started to take another deep drink. He was going to get home on his own, he'd show that old coot she didn't know what she was talking about.
word count: 557
"Freedom is everything."

Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Of course it obviously mattered to him! He was standing there, chugging an entire bottle of wine after lightly chastising her and expressing his anger that he wasn’t invited to kick a drunk’s ass. Almost everyone in the bar was staring at them, and Rei’s cheeks flushed a bright pink, though it was hard to see on the side of her face that was heavily bruised. She could practically throttle him right now for the scene he was causing. Sparing a furtive glance towards the older woman who came out from the back, she focused her attention back on Pat. “Obviously it matters or you wouldn’t be ranting about it. Don’t be ridiculous.”

In a cheeky show, he had grabbed another bottle of wine and filled her glass so high she could hardly pick it up without risking spilling it all over the bar top. Rei managed, though, and took a gulping sip so that the wine was at a more manageable level. The woman stated the obvious, that Pat was drunk off his ass, and asked if she would mind making sure he got home safely. What kind of protection was she? “Yes, I’ll make sure he at least makes it to his door.”

But Pat had noticed the woman and seemed to blow his top at the insinuation that he couldn’t make it home alone. The patrons were having a good chuckle and Pat had stormed out of the door. Rei sighed with a casual roll of her eyes, downing the rest of the glass a lot faster than she probably should have. For a moment she felt a tingling warmth spread through her body. She got up and went out into the chilled night air where Pat was apparently talking to himself and working on the second bottle of wine that he had managed to sneak out of the bar.

“Hey, how about you just don’t.” Rei reached over and snatched the bottle from his hand, taking a long pull of it herself. Comparatively speaking, she had drunk much less than he had but wasn’t as used to it. “Or you could at least share.” She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, forgetting about her injured lip, and winced slightly at the little bit of pain it caused her. “You’re coming with me,” she said, clearly not asking his permission.

They set off down the street and it wasn’t long before they reached her home. She wasn’t sure where Pat lived nor did she feel that he could navigate them there safely. She unlocked the door and gave him a gentle shove inside. Rei lit the lantern on the table, bathing the inside of the house in a warm orange glow. She set the bottle of wine down and drug him to the bedroom. “Alright Pat, why don’t you just have a lie down here.” She knelt down and started pulling his shoes off his feet.
word count: 505
Patrick
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

There she was again just like before. Gone and then suddenly right back in his life just like before, did she even know that's how it felt to him anyways? Scratch that part because of course she didn't! Patrick didn't even know at first to be honest but now he wished he didn't, because all it did was make him remember what it was like. How it felt when he had family, people he could thoroughly enjoy life with. That was gone now though and he was all alone, only he was left to drink until the day was done. What fun was that in the end? What real fun did he get when nothing but the booze seemed to be his only friend, when the bottle only remained honest until it was empty. Dammit! She stole the damn bottle! She took it from him like she took away his only friend, just as she took away his only cope mechanism.

That's right. The one thing that he relied on for fun always ended up being the one thing that drowned his sorrows. What kind of Rharnean was he? There was once a time where he drank proudly with others, fiercely wild and full of energy at any party he'd went to. Since Dominek died though things were different, everybody drank to honor his memory with good stories... and Patrick was left to face his world alone with a never ending sorrow he couldn't end. A hole in his chest that he wanted to fill so much, but no matter how many nights he drank himself to sleep he never could get it filled. "Share? Yeah, good point. Why keep a bottle t' me self when I clearly haven't got anythin' better t' share it to." He wasn't aware his rambling probably came off senseless, seeing as how he couldn't really control his inner and outer being as well as before. Then she insisted he was to go with her rather than back home, a look of scorn shot not to her but the ground as though he intended to pout. "Since when? Why should I go home wit' you anyway?!"

It didn't seem to matter anymore as somehow his body felt more inclined to follow her than he did, maybe it was a bit of a second nature that settled in when he was this drunk. Come to think of it he couldn't quite figure out just what he was feeling, first he'd thought it jealousy but the reason as to why it was never seemed obvious. Now though he was... happy? No. It wasn't lonely that was for sure, he never felt lonely when around Rei or Wendell though. Damn. Now he'd lost focus on getting home, already unaware of where they were now he had little more option than to remain with her at best. Before he knew it they were already at the doorstep of some place that he didn't recognize, a stranger's home that he didn't anticipate visiting really. "Wait a-" His sentence was cut off with another hiccup as the whole of the first bottle finally slammed him, his walk turned into a slow stagger as his balance went to shit.

Next thing he knew he'd watched Rei as she tugged him along into a room with a bed, a shift in his equilibrium managed to bring him in a fall onto his ass. When the frame of the bed squeaked he grunted as the cushion of the mattress broke his 'fall', Rei already at work with his boots to remove them as he sat there. He just sat there.... why? Why was he even here? He shouldn't be here, not if this was actually Rei's place. Come to think of it, he finally realized that this just might be Rei's place. There came a bit of intrigue as he looked around the room at first, then down to her as he felt the second boot slide off. In a rather clumsy effort he leaned forward to pull his feet closer in, only to find that his face had leaned down closer to hers momentarily.

"Rei..." He murmured a little dumbfounded. He looked at her face and even when it had been badly bruised, it still somehow looked beautiful to him. She was beautiful no matter what would hit her, because in his eyes from the moment they met, she was someone he considered a... Not a lover. Really? Did he feel like she could be? Is that what he felt towards her? "Do... do you think?" The question was but a low whisper and his heart stopped for a trill, right now his face was so close to hers that it was possible. Could they though? Should they, should he, actually allow it? His mind urged him to do it, yet he couldn't force himself into it. Not like he could with others he'd been with before, where there were only physical attractions and one time things. This was something different and it... it scared him entirely. Yet he wanted it; he just wanted it so bad, and right now not even the thought of Wendell prevented him from slowly closing in to softly kiss her lips.
word count: 898
"Freedom is everything."

Wendell
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Rei

Knowledge:
Medicine: Take pain relievers with food
Medicine: Treatment for fever, coughs, and congestion
Patrick: Is concerned about you
Patrick: Works at the Bronze Boar
Patrick: A bartender
Patrick: Sad when he's drunk
Patrick: Low self esteem
Patrick: Kissed you
Tactics: Don't go anywhere dangerous alone

Loot: n.a
Injuries: n.a
Fame: +1 (general good deed)
Magic: These points cannot be used for magic

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 5/5
Structure: 5/5

Patrick

Knowledge:
Business Management: Get to know the customers
Rei: Beautiful
Rei: Was beaten up in the Dust Quarter
Rei: Works at the infirmary
Rei: Knows some self defence
Rei: A healer
Rei: A kind soul
Rei: Likes wine
Rei: Took you home
Rei: Has seen you drunk
Rei: Makes your heart race
Wendell: Violent?
Wendell: Beat up Rei’s attacker
Wendell: Called Rei his woman
Wendell: Angry?
Wendell: A man to envy
Seduction: How to look a woman in the eyes
Resistance: Low tolerance for wine

Loot: n.a
Injuries: n.a
Fame: n.a
Magic: These points cannot be used for magic

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 5/5
Structure: 5/5

Comment: Nice little thread that was enjoyable to read and revealed some fun information about both characters. These two have an interesting chemistry that might be worth exploring over a few more threads. This one was quite quick paced and I felt that though it worked fine, there were a few places you could have slowed down to do a little more. A couple of minor errors that could be fixed with a simple edit in future (I suggest making that step part of your writing routine, as much as you hate it). Really looking forward to seeing more Patrei/Reick threads (cute ship name!).
word count: 295
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Rharne”