Dinner for Two

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Rei
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Healer and Gardener
Renown: 49
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dinner for Two

13 Vhalar 716
It had been several days since the deeply attractive Wendell with his enchanting blue eyes had come to the infirmary to have his infected tattoo treated. Of course it happened to be on his bottom and that had made a very interesting visit for both of them. She hated to admit it, but he had charmed her during their visit. In fact, they had engaged in a game, the stakes a nude run through the woods, and she had lost. Rei wondered if Wendell was going to be holding her to that agreement. She wasn’t sure anyone but her mother had seen her naked.

In her small house, more of a sleeping quarters really, she had filled her washing basin with steaming hot water. She had gotten out her soap and a fresh cloth, standing nude with the curtains drawn while the washed up. It would do no good to go meet Wendell at the eatery carrying that smell that came with being in the infirmary too long. It smelled of too clean fabric, sterilization, and herbs. Rei wondered if this was how she had smelled every day and she simply had never had cause to notice it before.

When she was certain that the smell of the infirmary was gone from her body, she dressed in her hide clothes, her fingers running over the colorful stitching on it. She threw the water out of the window. Hide slipper shoes had been stuck on her feet. She wasn’t much for covering her feet but most felt uncomfortable eating around exposed feet. She brushed out the length of her sandy hair that was not braided, strung with beads, tied with leather, or holding feathers. Sapphire eyes took a glance at herself in the mirror. She looked suitable.

Rei took a walk down the city streets as the sun began to set in the distance. People were bustling about, trying to get their daily chores done before the sun disappeared. She dodged a few frantic carts and people milling around. It didn’t take long to pass by the butcher’s, the smell of blood and meat reaching her nose. Just after was a well-kept building that smelled of freshly cooked meat, vegetables, and herbs. Taking in the scent, her stomach rumbled. She didn’t want to walk in without Wendell and lingered by the door.
word count: 400
Wendell
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dinner for Two

Wendell had gone to a lot of effort to tidy himself up for the evening. He had stopped in at the barber and paid for a cut and shave, losing the loose, wavy curls in favour of something a lot shorter, and easier to style and manage. The barber had shaved his jaw clean and even tidied up his sideburns, trimming them so that they sat at an equal height either side of his face. Later at home he had washed the paint and dust from his skin and hair, and air dried, sitting in nothing but a towel at the kitchen table while he read the local news and glanced across at the new tunic he had purchased, every now and then.

The cream coloured garment wasn't like the rest of his gear, usually only shopping for fabrics that were dyed black, or a dark, navy blue, also fond of browns, and certain shades of tan. He got up closer to the time he would have to leave and pulled on a pair of black paints before stepping into his boots and doing up the laces. Wendell fetched the tunic and weighed it up against his only other remaining option, an old shirt that stunk like one of the local taverns; the choice couldn't have been easier.

stepping outside in the light coloured tunic sporting a v-neck in the front that was deep enough to reveal some of the light coloured hairs on his chest, Wendell locked the door to his home and made his way to the place Rei had arranged to meet him at. The woman was stood waiting outside when he finally turned up, and he greeted her with a smile, ready for, and confident that this was going to be an enjoyable evening, especially if the two of them found that they were able to get on as well as they had at the doctor's office.

They were seated off to one corner, the dark wood of the table and chairs made the place seem moody and private, even with a few other couples and groups dotted about the room. The tablecloth was a deep red colour, the low, creamy candle stumps sat stark against it. He suffocated one of the candle flames by pinching the wick between finger and thumb, and blew out its partner before moving them aside, along with the small, wooden salt and pepper shakers. This left little in the way of distractions between him and Rei, and again, Wendell smiled.

"You said they did good meat dishes here?" He picked up the menu and scanned it slowly, and sure enough, the mouthwatering labels had soon piqued his interest. "Meat balls, roast, stew, what do you feel like? It's on me. Get a nice wine too of you like," the man encouraged, turning his eye on the selection of red wines they had on offer.

When the server finally approached the table she addressed them both and asked Rei if she would like anything to drink. Wendell took the opportunity to stare across at Rei and study her face for a time, glancing away only when it seemed she might spot him from the corner of her eye. "And I'll have a glass of red and a bottle of water for the table," he replied come his turn, and unfolded the black, decorative napkin on the table before lowering it onto his lap.

"Tell me about your hobbies," Wendell grinned. "Something you like to do outside of work?" Other than run naked through the woods, the thought made him smirk.
word count: 605
Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dinner for Two

When Wendell appeared down the street, a broader than normal smile broke out on her lips. She was pleased to see him, and he had cleaned up very nicely as promised. He looked rather sharp in a pair of black pants and a very nice cream colored tunic that looked to be new. There was a tantalizing v-neck that exposed his chest and the light hairs that grew there. Suddenly she felt very self-conscious in the hide tunic, leggings, and skirt she was wearing. It was no different than what she had been wearing when he had visited the infirmary.

They walked in and were immediately seated off in a corner at a nice wooden table with a deep wine colored tablecloth. There were decorative black napkins folded neatly on the table. Cream candles were burning down to the ends, and Wendell pinched the wicks out with his fingers. They hissed out and the table got a little darker. The salt and pepper shakers were moved out of the way, seeming to remove any distraction there might be between the two. She smiled across the way at him, her decorated locks falling over her shoulders.

“Yes, their roast is delicious. It usually comes with some nice potatoes and plenty of carrots.” Rei picked up the menu off the table and looked it over. She had not been recently and the items listed seemed almost new to her. The meatballs and the stew sounded just as delicious as the roast. When he mentioned wine, her gaze fell over to the list of wines they had. There was a stunning list of both whites and reds. Then again, Rharne was known for being a trade city that specialized in alcoholic beverages, so it should have been of little surprise that their restaurant was well stocked.

Rei looked up when the server approached their table, addressing them both and asking her for her drink order. “Just a glass of red for me, please.” She smiled politely at the server. She had always been kind to the staff that waited on her here. They had been nothing short of excellent in their work. Wendell also ordered a glass of red along with a bottle of fresh water for the table. She took her napkin and unfolded it, mimicking Wendell when she placed it in her lap.

“My hobbies?” She asked, her hands falling to her lap and twisting the napkin cloth between her fingers in nervousness. “I’m afraid I’m rather… boring.” She laughed lightly. “I read. A lot. But I guess that’s related to work. I spend a lot of time outdoors. I don’t like being confined in this city so much. Sometimes I track animals for fun. I picked it up from my father before he died.” Rei chewed on her lip for a moment, pondering her words. “What about you? Besides tattoos and wine, of course.” She smirked at him, proud of herself for making the joke he hadn’t been bold enough to make.
word count: 509
Wendell
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dinner for Two

There was hope, only very little, that the lip chewing was not a habit of Rei's, as it was nothing short of the perfect distraction. The woman had said something, and though Wendell knew he had heard, the words wouldn't compute. Something about tattoos and wine. He remembered laughing then, and thinking the sound of his own laughter odd. "No more tattoos," he smiled, "at least, not of half naked women." He supposed the existing tattoo was in the perfect spot, as he had never been fond of staring at his backside, with or without the help of a mirror.

"Well I work as a builder," he admitted, which women always told him explained his large hands. Little did they know, he thought. "Mostly building houses or fixing rooftops. I consider myself handy, and am good at losing track of time, especially when I'm sat taking something apart."

Wendell was careful about how much eye contact he made with Rei, he didn't want to seem too keen, in case the their dinner went horribly, but the woman was far too easy on the eye, and time and time again he would catch himself looking her way. "I don't do much reading, but I've always liked stories, my father was good at telling stories. I like getting out of the city, hiking about the countryside, but I have to be honest you, more often than not you'll find me down the tavern playing cards or pool, enjoying a nice ale, and the company of some of me old school friends."

There was lots he wanted to ask Rei, but knew he should try to work the questions into their conversation naturally, and make it more about her than himself, using open questions that couldn't be answered with a simple yes or no. "Do you have any family in Rharne? How long have you been here?" Obvious or not, the man hadn't pinned Rei as one of the Sev'ryn, believing her to be human, or perhaps even of biqaj heritage, not that any of that mattered to him.
word count: 356
Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dinner for Two

Though he replied and laughed at her comments, for some reason it didn’t seem like he had paid much attention to what was going on. She wondered what had made him so distracted, her eyes darting around briefly to look and see what was going around them. Nothing of interest, really. There was a couple holding hands and leaning across the table at each other a few tables away. Then there was a group that broke into boisterous laughter at something that had apparently been very funny. Rei wondered for a moment if she was boring him and that was why he seemed distracted.

“You might just want to put a little more thought into your tattoo next time. I don’t think half naked women suit you.” She smiled, thinking of her own tattoos. She had the same tree tattoo that most Sev’ryn acquired in their younger year. Then, when her father had passed from his hunting accident, she had gotten a tattoo of a mountain cat, his spirit animal, on her upper back. Both had been well done. Of course, she only bothered to use a tattoo artist that she had personally seen the work of and come highly recommended. “Maybe pick a different artist next time.”

He had mentioned he was a builder, which, for whatever reason, she didn’t find that surprising. He seemed the handy type. Rei had noticed his large, rough hands when he had been in the infirmary. “How did you learn to build? Apprenticeship? I just got very interested in herbs, chemistry, and medicine when I was younger. Then when my father was hurt and subsequently died, it drove me to learn more so that I might help keep someone like him from dying.” It wasn’t a secret about her. Most people that knew her knew that her father’s death had catalyzed her need to become a top notch healer.

It wasn’t that surprising that he liked hanging around taverns and participating in the activities there, but she was a bit surprised he had admitted it. Not that there was anything wrong with it, as long as it didn’t become what his entire life was about. “Tell me your favorite story then,” she offered with a smile. Around that time the server had returned with their drinks, setting the two glasses of red wine and bottle of water on the table. She asked for their order. “I’ll have the roast, please.” Rei waited for Wendell to order before handing the server the menus.

“I don’t have much family,” she admitted, shrugging her shoulders. She had been an only child, and, with her father deceased, it was just her and her mother left. “My mother lives in Desnind, where I was born and raised. She makes jewelry. My father was a hunter when he was alive. I have only been here about an arc. I traveled away from Desnind to further my education. I didn’t think I could get as much accomplished if I stayed in one place.” It was almost embarrassing to admit how devoted she was to her work. “What about your family and how long have you been here?”
word count: 538
Wendell
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dinner for Two

"No pillow talk across the dinner table," he teased in response to Rei's request to hear one of his favourite stories. "Your father sounds like quite a man, and your aspirations are very noble," he admitted, Rei's line of work was very selfless, an admirable trait, but not really one he shared.

Wendell had laughed off the talk about the tattoo, and while the infection had finally settled down, the man was surprised to find the blue skin tone of the pin-up girl was there to stay, clearly the tattoo artist had been inspired by the Eídisi. "Don't worry, I won't show up at your place of work with anymore strange tattoos," he smirked and echoed Rei's meal of choice as the waitress returned with their drinks. "A roast sounds good, thank you," he said without making eye contact with the server.

When Rei asked about his family, Wendell tasted the wine and turned the glass slowly as he set it down on the table, staring down into the shallow, red pool. "My mother grew up in Desnind and traveled to Nashaki in search of her familiar, a black cobra with golden eyes," the man recalled, he had remembered staring eye to eye with the mesmerising creature as a child. "She passed away when my sister was born and our father moved us to Rharne some arcs later. I've never seen Desnind but I'd like to some time. He passed a while ago and my younger sister is quite independent so I've weighed up the idea of saving up to do a spot of traveling."

Another swig of the wine went down even better than the first taste had, and Wendell seemed thoughtful for a time before he spoke again. "The move to Rharne was good for me, I found my familiar here. My sister doesn't share my mother's trait, she was always rather jealous of the fact that I had inherited the Sev'ryn gift, so I often had to hide it." It was nice to meet and talk to another Sev'ryn, he thought then.
word count: 359
Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dinner for Two

Pillow talk? She hadn’t really thought of stories being that way, but she supposed he was right. Her cheeks lit up with a soft pink flush at the ideas it sent swirling in her head. Rei shouldn’t really be thinking about such things at the dinner table. She did her best to hide the flush in her cheeks and hoped it was dark enough that he wouldn’t take notice of it. “He was a great man,” she commented, reminiscing. “He adored my mother. You would have thought she was the other half of his soul. He was a great hunter, excellent tracker. We both miss him.”

Rei had to avoid getting teary-eyed at the thought of her father. Even though it had been nearly seven arcs since her father had passed, her longing to see him one last time was still fresh in her mind. She was happy when the conversation turned to more light-hearted affairs. While she wished to see him again, she had to agree that she hoped it didn’t involve another weird tattoo that she had to clean and bandage up for him. Not that she minded seeing his backside. “I hope not. More for your sake than mine. But if you want to get a real tattoo, I have suggestions of artists for you.”

She took a moment to taste the wine. Occasionally she had wine, but it wasn’t very often, so the fruity and floral flavors exploded on her palette. She moved the glass to take a whiff of it. The wine had a very pleasant aroma. She set the glass down, deciding she would probably be nursing this all night with the little burst of warmth she felt from just a small taste. His mother grew up in Desnind? Then she must have been Sev’ryn like she was. Rei tries to mask her surprise. She had not expected him to come from a Sev’ryn parent. “I’m sorry about your parents,” she said softly. “But I think your idea to travel would be great. I think you would really enjoy Desnind. It’s a wonderful place- of course I might be biased.”

She smiled across at him, listening to his rumbling voice over the chatter of the others around them. He mentioned finding his familiar, so he had, indeed, inherited his mother’s genes. He may have only been half Sev’ryn, but he was no different than she was. He had his familiar just as she had her white wolf. “Well you don’t have to hide it from me.” Her smile broadened. “What is your familiar? When I found mine, she was a white wolf with blue eyes like mine.” She looked down at the table for a moment, holding back the things she wanted to say. “Rharne is a lot different than Desnind. It doesn’t feel like home. But I want to learn and to do that I can’t afford to stay where it’s comfortable.”
word count: 506
Wendell
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dinner for Two

Rei had mentioned that she knew of a good artist and he wondered how she would know. It was then Wendell recalled that tattoos that had covered his mother's arms and back, and he wondered what kind of tattoos Rei had opted for. As his parents hadn't known if he had inherited his mother's ability or not, they had agreed not to tattoo either of their children, and a part of Wendell missed the tradition that might have made him feel closer to his mother now that she was gone.

"I'm going to take you up on that," he smiled and drank more of the wine.

A couple walked into the establishment then, a man and a woman in their mid twenties at a guess. The woman was carrying some books under her arm and handed them to her friend who sat down at the piano. He began to play and Wendell realised the book's were all for music. The lady started to sing, nothing too intrusive, and Wendell grinned, he could see now why Rei liked this place, it was a little more up market than the taverns he usually hung out in.

Their meals were soon brought to the table, and after inspecting the beef and deciding that it was cooked just the way he like it, medium-rare, Wendell started cutting into it and froze part way in as Rei announced that her familiar had been a white wolf. For a short time he sat staring across the table at the pretty blonde, wondering if it was just a strange coincidence, or something more. "A black wolf," he admitted, "his eyes change colour, one day they are a light blue, the next, a fiery gold."

The man popped a bit of food into his mouth and chewed a while before swallowing. "Isn't that odd?" He smiled, "I mean how often do you run into another Sev'ryn and find out their familiar is the same as yours," completely different, he thought, but the same. "And so far from Desnind too."
word count: 349
Rei
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dinner for Two

“I would show you the work I’ve had done, especially the one on my upper back, but I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to strip off my tunic in the middle of a restaurant.” She was jesting, of course. Rei was unlikely to take her top off regardless of where they were. Intimacy and all the things that came with it were foreign concepts to her. Until she met Wendell, she had dismissed the advances of men, which, in Rharne, were far more often than she liked. They were not so frequent at the clinic but were numerous on the streets when she walked to and from home.

Rei looked up as Wendell did, noticing the same woman and man- finely dressed- that had entered together. She thought it was just another couple out eating together like they were, but the books the woman was lugging around told another story. It was too dark to make out the titles of them this far away, but their purpose was revealed when the man sat down at the piano off against the wall and opened up the books. Sheet music. He started to play a slow tune and the woman sang, though not loud enough to be overbearing. It put a smile on her face to hear the song, though she didn’t recognize it.

When their roasts were brought to the table, she picked up a fork and the sharp knife sitting beside her plate. It was cooked perfectly, as always, and Rei could smell the herbs and seasoning that permeated from the meat. There were a few hearty potatoes and cut carrots littering the dish, smothered in the savory gravy that covered the meat and vegetables. She was about to cut into her meat when Wendell froze across from her, staring at her across the table. Was their something wrong with the food? With her face?

But when he admitted that his familiar was a wolf also, she understood why he had stopped. There were so many possible familiars in the realm of the Sev’ryn. It was unusual to meet someone who had the same familiar, even if different in aesthetics. “It is odd. Not often that Sev’ryn have the same familiar, even if they are opposite in looks. Then again, it’s even unusual to run across a Sev’ryn this far from Desnind.” She sliced off a small end of the meat and popped it into her mouth, chewing and swallowing before she spoke again- it was only proper. “Maybe fate is trying to tell us something or maybe I’m thinking too much about it.”
word count: 445
Wendell
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dinner for Two

"Restaurants, forests, is there anywhere you won't get naked?" He teased, knowing Rei hadn't meant that. Wendell had kept his voice lowered so that the couple nearby didn't overhear anything, but he was half expecting Rei's face to glow red again. Yes, he had noticed all of the blushing.

On the subject of fate they had shared the same thought, not that Wendell had voiced it. He gave no objection and offered a slow nod of his head two or three times before continuing on with his meal. The man ate everything on his plate except for the parsnips, Wendell had a strong dislike for that vegetable, even roast, but especially boiled.

The evening had been lovely, the meal was excellent, and Wendell didn't have any issues with handing over a little extra coin for the server to take a cut on a job well done. He handed over the five gold pieces and sat back, content and full. There was a little wine left in his glass which he sipped slowly, not really wanting the evening to end, though he knew it was better to be polite and end on a good note than drag these things out only to put a foot in his mouth.

"This place is nice, I'll have to trust more of your recommendations from now on," he smiled across at Rei. "Maybe you should pick the next place we go too," it was cheeky and he knew it, assuming that she even wanted to see him again. "You'll let me walk you home I hope? It's dark out and I don't want you running into any trouble."
word count: 282
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Rharne”