[Proving Grounds - Combat Festival] Revenge of the Slap Master

20th of Vhalar 721

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Zemos
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Creep
Renown: 160
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Featured

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: [Proving Grounds - Combat Festival] Revenge of the Slap Master

His slaps were in a windmill pattern, as one slap came forward, his other hand retracted, and they went back and forth in a circular, flowing motion. To onlookers, it might've seemed like an untrained barrage of movements, but in Zemos' case, it was a well-trained maneuver and well known in Da'riya. It was a technique designed to both defend and leave open the possibility to exploit any tics in the other fighter's methodology as they attacked and defended.

Unfortunately for Zemos, he wasn't able to find a weakness in her movements, something he could exploit before she swept her leg beneath his ankle. The motion was swift, but not strong enough to bruise. Just enough to put him off balance, and with a push he went down. He fell on his back, but was able to lift his head enough that he didn't smack it against the dust. But then, Zemos was strong and durable, as a Yithnai. And he had the benefit of Graft for the purposes of healing.

He looked up at the sky then, and wondered what he should do next. Considering what he should do next.

"The snow woman has beaten you, father.
Learn her secrets.

Prod the gray matter
Until it gives its nectar
Of wisdom."

Zemos blinked at the Egg's words, and shook his head. No he wasn't interested in poking into anyone's brains today. Besides, this wasn't the best place to murder someone, in front of a huge crowd of witnesses. And he rather liked the 'snow woman' Elisabeth.

"We should clear the floor!" He said, pulling himself up to his feet. He stuck out his hand to shake hers, grinning with bits of black flecks in his teeth from an earlier lunch. "Others will want to fight!"

He gave her a thoughtful look for a few moments, then scratched his chin. "Do you like books? I know where books are. In the University. We should go learn things! You are from Viden, so I assume you like learning." The truth of the matter was, Zemos could use a study partner to bounce his medical and toxicology ideas off of. Whether she'd accept, was another matter.
word count: 375

Identity

Nzi'Fuma is going by the name Zemos until further notice

Marks

Yithnai: Nzi'Fuma has glowing green eyes.
Witchmarks and Mutations:
  • Dread Warpaint: Zemos' upper face has a darkened discoloration, like sticky tar to the touch. It resembles warpaint.
  • Flies and other insects tend to crawl over his body intermittently. Sometimes a maggot can be seen crawling over his skin.
  • He has a slight slowness to his speech, as if he struggles to keep his tongue low in his mandible.

Text Code

Yithnain Suggestions
Dialogue
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Arc 721, 20 Vhalar

Zemos went down and, after a moment, proclaimed the spar over. Elisabeth walked over and offered her hand to help him up, smiling as the assembled crowd clapped for the pair. It was one of those demonstrations that, while not high-flying and hard-punching, there was something everyone could learn from it. Elisabeth and Zemos had different approaches to the training and had challenged each other. That was the important thing.

The Master present inclined his head to both Zemos and Elisabeth. Elisabeth returned the gesture of respect and offered the same to Zemos as they moved out of the ring and let the next two chosen step in.

He turned the conversation to books and learning, which greatly amused Elisabeth, especially when he verbalized that she must like knowledge since she was from Viden. A quick nod was given in response, accompanied by a soft laugh. “I do like books and learning. I grew up in the Prime Atheneum, or at least it feels like I did.”

Considering her schedule briefly, she offered up an idea. “Tomorrow is the last day of the combat festival, and I’d like to stay and learn. If you are still willing to meet up with me, could I join you at the University on the trial after next, the 22nd? Perhaps you could tell me more about your training in unarmed combat also?” Elisabeth was unsure where his offer to ‘learn’ led, but she was always open to new experiences, skills, and knowledge. Perhaps his area of study was something she could learn from? One never knew until they tried.

Looking around for Balthazar and not seeing him in the immediate area, Elisabeth quickly gathered her things, and the pair decided to meet up in a few trials. Smiling, she gently held out her hand to Zemos. “It was a pleasure to meet you and learn from our spar. We shall speak again soon, yes?”

The young mage swiftly departed with a final nod, anxious to catch up with Balthazar and spend some time with him. That had been one of the major draws for her to come to the festival, after all.

word count: 366
Shl'Drei
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Human
Profession: Animal Trainer
Renown: 170
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Review Rewards
Points Awarded: 15
Magic Applicable: Nah~

General Notes: This was such a pleasing read, and both of you definitely brought to the table a different style that Ii could visualize through your writing. I have to say, the mix of action/comedy threw me off - but in a great way. I had a coupe a of laughs, and there were places I had to go back to your character sheets to see if I could find references made - it was more fun than expected, haha. I took an extra close look at their histories and man, bravo to you both!! Below you'll find your rewards and individual reviews, let me know if anything looks off - and as always feel free to message me if something looks off!
Zemos
Knowledges:
  • Athletics: x3
  • Endurance: x 3
  • Strength: x 3
  • Combat: Unarmed x2
Renown: 10
Injuries: Some light bruising to his stomach and sore wrists from blocking Elisabeth's strikes in quick succession.

Wrap-Up: This was my first time reading a Zemos thread and.. whoa, he's odd, haha! Zemos seems to have childlike wonder and curiosity. He's eager to learn, eager to grow, and morbidly eager to see aliments and diseases in people - though I guess that's a given, heh. When Zemos said he looked forward to slapping Elisabeth I genuinely snorted - it probably seemed so normal to him, and I read it in such a way he said it casually like nothing was odd. A nitpick I had though; Zemos has novice athletics. He used footwork pretty seamlessly from the description in your second post. I'd think - while fighting and keeping his motions fluid - it would be competent at least. That aside, Zemos is a odd character in the best way! I look forward to binging some of his adventures in the future!
Elisabeth
Knowledges:
  • Athletics: x 2
  • Endurance: x 2
  • Strength: x 2
  • Combat: Unarmed x3
  • Tactics: x 2
Renown: 10
Injuries: ~

Wrap-Up:Elisa is such a doll, my goodness! She speaks with Zemos while giving her attention to the spar. She handles herself well, and it shows. She carefully thinks through her options, and while maybe not second nature, it definitely is a quicks wit that she has to make split second decisions. She was fine with displaying her strength, but was kind enough to not overpower her opponent. We get to see Elisa's thought and it really is a nice addition to your writing! I can't wait to see more from her and her insight~
word count: 425
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”