[The Watch] I'm Going To Ride It

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[The Watch] I'm Going To Ride It

! Message from: Peg
Balthazar is approved to have his paradigm cuffs removed and use magic in this thread

13 Vhalar 721
A loud crash shook the sitting watcher from his meditation at the top of the decaying tower. He'd gone up to the peek where he felt the most connected to the wind and the water around him. Up to the peak where his enhanced eyes could see and interpret so much further. Well, it was not exactly that he saw further, but he knew exactly how far he was looking again. His eyes drifted to the waves beating against the rocks below and he sighed. It was just a higher wave than normal... nothing eventful. He rubbed his fingertips together for a moment before they found his unbound wrists. It had been several trials now since the paradigm was removed and he had been careful about using magic since.

He felt everything again and what had once been wonderful now seemed frightening. The sparks inside wanted to be used. He knew he could control it. He'd done so for several trials now but he also knew that sooner or later he would find a reason to cast a spell again. He did not want to be unprepared when that time came. The Watch had stood empty ever since the death of Philip Carey but the Elements had a rotation of patrols that occasionally kept an eye on it. Elisabeth had been supportive in the extreme but Balthazar needed time alone to reconnect to everything so he requested he be put on one of the patrols at the Watch. It was a long shift but it never felt boring. He walked around the fortress for a while but he didn't need to remember the rooms. He'd been to the Watch before while investigating the murder so he knew exactly where everything was, and if anything had been moved.

Eventually he found himself at the peak of the fortress, taking slow breaths in through his nose and blowing them out through his mouth while he tried to listen to the elements around him. It had been long enough that the effects of the paradigm had worn away but Balthazar was still careful. He wanted to start slowly. He wanted to-

His thoughts were interrupted by the familiar creaking of the wooden tower floorboards. If it were an assassin of any decent threat, he would not have heard them yet. With his magic returned and his senses as refined as they were, they would not have reached him without him knowing but the creaking had been followed by a short gasp. Balthazar had a fairly good idea of who it was that had followed him to the Watch. "You shouldn't be here." Balthazar said in a stern voice to the figure moving between the shadows behind him. "I told you at the docks to go back to the Element Hall, Pylos."

A figured emerged from behind an empty storage crate and a nervous hand scratched the back of a head with long, black hair flowing from it. "But you weren't going back to the Element Hall. I'm trying to learn from you." Pylos said as he stepped forward into the light. He was younger than Balthazar but the mage saw many similarities between the boy and himself. Maybe a little less blind devotion... no... no that wasn't true. Balthazar remembered how he had been around Isabella when she went by the name Morgan. He remembered how he had acted around his first mentor at first as well. Eventually, when you learned what you wanted, things changed.

"I requested a patrol at the Watch so I could be alone to think." Balthazar said, his voice not shifting from the stern tone despite it all. "Eventually you are going to have to learn to follow orders." Pylos nodded and his eyes fell slightly to the floor. Balthazar could see the regret in the young man's eyes. He sighed and cast a glance out at the water. "You can stay for a while but I want you in the fortress. I don't want Rand yelling at me because you slipped and fell to your death."

Pylos's eyes lit up and he looked at Balthazar, "Really?"

"Just get inside."
word count: 724

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [The Watch] I'm Going To Ride It

13 Vhalar 721
Balthazar and Pylos sat inside the Watch for almost a whole break talking to each other. Pylos asked for stories about the recent things he had done. He asked about founding Haven and Balthazar told him that others had done far more than Balthazar had. Still, he kept the settlers alive in one of the harder times in his life. He could go back now that he had his magic back and do so much more, but he did not mention that to Pylos. He did not speak of his plans, only what had already happened. Pylos asked about the cases Balthazar had worked in the past and Balthazar told him about one of his earlier cases.

"Madame Nellie ran a brothel in Scalvoris and was renowned for protecting her girls violently. Any customer who stepped out of line was left marked and most people seemed content with it because the customers had stepped out of line." Balthazar said, "I went to the brothel a few times to try and meet her, the girls, and I asked a lot of questions that didn't get me anywhere. I didn't see the signs I would see now."

"What sort of signs?" Pylos asked as the two of them emerged from the inside of the decaying tower and took a few steps over to a ledge that gave Balthazar a better view of the entrance to the bay he was meant to be watching. Balthazar looked up at the storm clouds in the sky for a few trills with a little disappointment. A storm meant things around the Watch were going to get a little more slippery. If anything started falling from the sky he would send Pylos back in without any more stories.

"Her girls were afraid of her. She was the one attacking them and I didn't see it the first time. In fact I didn't see it until I staged an attack, and then survived a real one. I should have known the first time." Balthazar explained as he looked over the edge towards the water. It wasn't dark yet but the surface of the water was hardly still. Balthazar watched the clouds go by while he reminisced about the case he'd worked.

"That doesn't have to mean she did it, maybe she was just scary?"

"No, Pylos. She marked her customers and every girl who was attacked was marked. I took it as a coincidence but we are detectives, there are no coincidences anymore." And a moment after he said the words, he saw a cloud drifting remarkably faster than the others in the reflection of the hollow sea below him. His eyes narrowed, doubting what they saw in the waves for a few trills before it registered that he should just look up.

"What is that?" Pylos's voice echoed the thoughts that flew through Balthazar's mind as he turned his eyes to the sky and saw a massive creature with six legs, a thick coat of white fur, and two bright blue glowing horns floating along almost as if it were taking a nap and just drifting along in the wind. Balthazar's eyes widened with childlike amusement for a moment as he watched the creature slowly drift before he turned to Pylos and said sternly,

"I don't know. Get inside and stay inside until I return."

"Are you going to kill it?" Pylos asked as Balthazar carefully moved closer to the edge of the ledge they were watching from. Other men might have been afraid but Balthazar was not other men. He ran into the fire over and over again, and now he had his magic back. The beast was large but in the middle of the air Balthazar did not think it could put up a great fight. He'd find out.

"Kill it? Why would I kill it?" Balthazar asked Pylos incredulously, "It's massive and it flies. I haven't had a proper mount since Tornado died."

"You don't mean..."

"Yes, Pylos, I'm going to ride it."
word count: 688

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

13 Vhalar 721
"Isn't it too dangerous?" Pylos asked as Balthazar adjusted his footing one last time. "That beast is huge- it'll gore you." Pylos was halfway into the door of the fortress now and still peeking out to see Balthazar.

"I am not that easily felled, by man or beast. Now get inside." And with his instruction repeated, Balthazar pushed himself forward off the ledge and into the air. He fell for a few trills through the sky towards the crashing waves of the Hollow Sea. He turned in the air so he could look towards the massive creature drifting through the sky. All the distance registered at one in his mind, even as it shifted and he fell closer to the sea. He felt the distance in every fiber of his body. He took a deep breath and he locked his eyes on the spot where he wanted the egress to form. It was two hundred feet above the large white creature. Six hundred-ish feet away from where Balthazar was in that moment. As he breathed out through his mouth he called on his second spark and flames began to crackle around and then suddenly consumed him.

In a puff of flames, he vanished from where he was and reappeared in the air above the Wind Walker, still falling fast but now in a position to land on the creature rather than in the water. He shifted his concentration to the demands of the first spark, Defiance, and he called on the wind to embrace him. It happened slower than it would have an arc ago but he was still adjusting to having his abilities back. An unexpected benefit of his perfect memory was that he did not simply forget how to perform the spells. He did not become rusty in anything but the physical sense. He remembered all of the instructions perfectly. As the wind began to form the armor around his body, Balthazar felt his descent slowing down.

Fifty feet above the Wind Walker and he was still falling relatively fast but the wind had caught its old friend and embraced him again like a long lost member of the family. Twenty feet above the Wind Walker and Balthazar had control of his motions again, crude as it was he could feel himself maneuvering with the wind. He could feel his sparks consuming the ether in him- at least that was what he'd come to associate the burn that he felt when using magic with. Magic was like a muscle, the more you used it the more burn you felt and eventually, if you didn't stop, it snapped back. He could feel he was far from the point of blowback but defiance was an easy magic to make mistakes in.

Ten feel above the Wind Walker, Balthazar thought it might have noticed him. It seemed to speed up a little and dropped lower to the water. Balthazar dropped with the wind to keep himself within ten feet. "Easy," he said quietly to encourage himself as he dropped another five feet closer to the Wind Walker. Five feet above the Wind Walker, Balthazar was staying near the back of the beast to avoid its horns and he dropped another foot in the air. The creature was moving faster but not fast enough that Balthazar couldn't keep up with it in open air. Four feet above the Wind Walker, Balthazar released the embrace of the elements and fell onto the brown stripe running down the creature's back.
word count: 596

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Hi Balthazar,

First I apologize for the time it took to address this thread properly. There are still issues on the dev side of the Windwalker species, which I've discussed with Basilisk. We've reached a consensus that this creature doesn't class as a mount. It's practically the size of a flutterbus, and can carry a group of people at once. That makes it more of a mass conveyance than a personal mount. So on that basis alone it's not eligible for Legendary Mount status.

That aside, there are a few issues that would throw a hitch in this thread being accepted even if it were acceptable as a Legendary Mount. Balthazar has almost no animal training and no animal husbandry skill. Getting a Legendary Mount as a reward for renown doesn't guarantee that the story you make for acquiring it will make sense in any circumstance. It still has to make story sense and sense for his skills and background. Had he been given a Legendary mount by someone who greatly admires him, that's perfectly acceptable as a story. He has 10 flying skill, and yet pulls some fancy maneuvers in midair. While there are ways that Balthazar can get around that (with defiance and athletics for instance) it'd still lead to some overstepping.

I'm afraid for all of those reasons I'll have to declare this thread non-canon. If you have any questions regarding this decision, feel free to PM me.

word count: 252
Avatar provided by the wonderful Pegasus
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”