• Solo • Glowing Chickens!

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Glowing Chickens!

Vhalar 84, Arc 721

On the 84th of Vhalar, Devin Thorn, High Priest of Delroth, unexpected Baron and Scalvoris’ premier cosmetologist (He was pretty sure of that!) walked into the garden of Smooglenuff Manor again. This time, he was wearing a lime green ensemble and an emerald green knit hat with panda ears (because pandas were in fashion that season) and carrying two cages with hens that glowed quite prettily inside, one in each hand. The hens clucked a bit and eyed their new surroundings with curiosity – because Devin had just acquired them.

Behind Devin walked Aidan, one of his two roommates, a dark-haired human who regularly helped him with his various pets in exchange for food (He’d come to really love Devin’s cooking!). He carried the third cage, because Devin had acquired three hens, but only had two hands to carry stuff with. Aidan’s hen was much less well-mannered and peaceful. She complained loudly, and at one point she even tried to bite the cage with her beak!

“Want to trade?” the human asked in a somewhat exasperated tone of voice and glared at the hen that glared back at him as if she wanted to murder him just by doing that. “I’m not sure if she’s upset because she has to move to a new home or because she’s generally a grumpy hen, but anyway, she’s your new pet, not mine. If you take her, I’ll take the other two!” he promised and held his cage out to Devin.

“She’s not grumpy, she just has personality, and I love that!” Devin insisted before he agreed to the trade. A moment later, he eyed the hen that Aidan hadn’t wanted with unmistakable adoration and whispered gently, “Soon, you’ll be in your new chicken coop. You’ll have friends, including my first hen, Ark, that is really nice, and you’ll have something better than a cage to bite into, too! I only give my pets the best food!”

The hen didn’t react a lot, because she was just a hen and didn’t understand Common, but she did stop trying to eat the cage (or trying to escape from it) and just clucked instead.

“Devin”, Aidan remarked once they had reached the walk-in chicken coop where Ark lived and set his cages down. “I’ve been thinking about how we should go about introducing the chickens to each other. We don’t need to quarantine these three because they are healthy, but I wouldn’t let them interact with Ark at all for the time being, but leave them in the fenced-off area for a few trials so that they can only look at each other in order to avoid stressing them out. I’d also separate them when they are outside, to be honest”, he added.

“I can talk to birds. I can probably just tell them to be nice to each other and become friends”,
Devin pointed out, which was true. “But fine, we’ll try your method first. Don’t we have something better looking than a wire-fence thing to separate the chickens though?” he complained. He could kind of see Aidan’s point, and he really wanted the chickens to be happy and get along and do everything properly – chickens were Delroth’s animals, too - but the fence was absolutely ugly in his opinion!

“A fence made of wire works best. You can paint the wire if you want to though, provided that the paint is safe for chickens”, Aidan offered, grinned and shook his head. He found the idea of a fence that was violet or covered with glitter quite amusing, but in the end, it would probably work just as well as a normal grey or silver fence. So, why not?

Last edited by Devin on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:13 am, edited 3 times in total. word count: 645

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Glowing Chickens!

“By the way”, Devin remarked once they had made their way into the walk-in chicken coop where Ark had lived alone so far and stopped as something had just occurred to him, something that worried him a little to be honest. “What should we do when it gets colder? In about twenty trials or so, winter will begin in earnest, and I really don’t want Ark and her future best friends to freeze to death. I suppose, I could fill their chicken coop with an extra amount of hay, or give them blankets - or install a new chicken coop on my balcony. It’s pretty big”, he mused before Aidan could say something. “I could also put them into a guestroom though. We currently don’t have any guests! Or …

“I don’t think that will be necessary”,
Aidan decided once Devin had finally stopped talking – the Mortalborn had a tendency to talk without stopping in order to take a breath sometimes. “Chickens can withstand winter temperatures without any supplemental heat. You don’t have to keep them locked up in their coop all winter long, and you don’t have to give them blankets either. On the contrary, chicken like to be outside in winter every once in a while, and on Faldrass, it tends to be a bit warmer than on the main island anyway”, he pointed out and set his two cages down in front of the fenced-off area that had been created for the new chickens.

Ark, the first inhabitant of the chicken coop and the original glowing chicken of Smooglenuff Manor, was nowhere to be seen though. There was just one of her rainbow-colored eggs in the straw (She had started laying those for some reason on the 78th!).

“Can you take care of the new chickens while I look for Ark, please?” Devin asked and furrowed his brow. When Aidan nodded, he set the cage with the grumpy hen the hen that had personality and that was calmer now that she wasn’t being carried around anymore down. He smiled at her and whispered a few gentle words to her, and then he made his way through the door that led into the small pen that was attached to the chicken coop.

Fortunately, he found Ark in a corner, picking away at some grain on the ground and clucking quite happily. He had been a bit worried that she had run away because she didn’t want to have any friends, after all. He waited until she was done eating, and then he picked her up and carried her inside the chicken coop where he set her down some distance away from the new chickens that Aidan had put into the fenced-off area in the meantime.

At first, it seemed as if Ark hadn’t seen her new roommates or did at least not care about them. And then she stopped dead in her tracks, turned around and stared. The three new chickens that all came from the same flock stared back.

There was a lot of staring everywhere!

word count: 520

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“I think that we should name the new chickens now so that we can use their names when we interact with them”, Devin decided and knelt down on the floor in order to watch Ark and her new roommates who were still watching each other. “I think that I’ll call her ‘Rolf’”, he continued and pointed at the grumpy hen hen that had personality and that had just walked away from the members of her flock and was standing in a corner now, her back to the rest of the hens.

“’Rolf’ is a name for a man”, Aidan pointed out and gave Ark and the other three hens fresh food so that they would have something to focus on besides each other. “She’s obviously female.”

“Names should be for everybody”, Devin retorted and shrugged his shoulders. “Besides, she looks like a ‘Rolf’ to me. The other two will be called ‘Umbrateeth’ and ‘Phantombeast’ which can be shortened to ‘Umbra’ and ‘Phantom’ respectively”, he continued and grinned all over his face while Aidan resisted the urge to roll his eyes or facepalm.

“What?” Devin asked upon noticing the look on the older man’s face.

Aidan didn’t say anything, but just shook his head and laughed out loud which caused the chickens to cluck excitedly.

(He wasn’t making fun of Devin even though he didn’t know where he was getting all those unusual ideas from; he just found some of the things that he said very entertaining!)

“I think that it would be great if there were a few more distractions in the coop and the pen besides the usual feed”, he told Devin once he had recovered from his laughing fit. “Could you get me some lettuce or cabbage and maybe a bale of hay and a few hooks, please, Devin, while I take care of these three ladies here and watch them?” he wanted to know.

The Mortalborn considered grumbling a bit because he didn’t like being told what to do particularly, especially now that he was a Baron and someone really important and famous, but then he nodded and went on his way.

His roommate was helping him with his the Barony’s new glowing chickens (Besides giving Ark friends, he wanted people to be able to eat fresh eggs every now and then!), so the least that he could do was to get a bale of hay, cabbage and lettuce so that they would be kept busy!

Last edited by Devin on Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 417

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“My lord, what can I do for you?” the cat cadouri kitchen aide who had pretty white fur and wore a royal blue dress asked, her eyes wide, and quickly curtsied. A moment later, she hastily wiped her paws off on her apron (she had just been kneading dough that Ada, the head cook would turn into cookies that would be served for dessert this evening).

“If you are hungry, there is still some stew left lover from lunch, and Mrs. Ada made bread. It’s still warm”, she offered, her long whiskers twitching slightly and her tail that was peeking through a hole in her dress moving a little (she was obviously nervous).

“No, I’m just looking for a head of lettuce and a head of cabbage”, Devin replied and resisted the urge to sit down and enjoy some of Ada’s delicious bread. The chickens were more important right now; and besides, if he didn’t come back quickly, Aidan might start to worry.

He didn’t want him to worry!

“I need the vegetables for the new chickens”, he explained to the cadouri who looked at him in confusion in case she was wondering if he wanted to take a bite out of a whole head of lettuce or cabbage, without adding oil, vinegar and herbs and things like that beforehand.

“And oh – are these brussel sprouts?” he wanted to know. His eyes lit up as he pointed at a wooden bowl that was filled with green balls. “Can you give me some of them as well?”

“Of course, my lord. Would five be sufficient?” the cadouri asked. When Devin nodded and smiled at her, she put the brussel sprouts into a paper bag before she handed him the cabbage and the lettuce. Devin bowed to her, quite deeply and with a smile, as if he were facing a noble lady – which caused her eyes to widen even more – and then he left.

A few bits later, he returned to the chicken coop, carrying two bags – one with vegetables and one with hooks – and dragging a bale of hay that he’d gotten from the stable behind him. He felt unpleasantly like some sort of stable boy, but seeing the chickens more than made up for it. He couldn’t wait to find out what Aidan wanted to use the hooks for!

word count: 396

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“We’ll attach the lettuce and the cabbage to the ceiling so that they will not only distract the chickens from each other, but also provide them with a bit of entertainment and constitute a challenging food source”, Aidan explained, drove a hook into the head of cabbage and attached a piece of rope to the hook before he found a good spot on the ceiling. “My grandmother, the one with the goats – I think I mentioned her before? – always did this when she introduced new chickens to the flock”, he explained and started working on the lettuce only in order to break off abruptly and stare, furrow his brow and stare some more.

“I’m not sure how I’m supposed to drive a hook into those though”, he murmured and pointed at the brussel sprouts. “Generally, chickens can eat brussel sprouts, but they are too small for the hooks you brought”, he explained before he proceeded to hang the lettuce in a different spot and positioned the bale of hay in a corner.

As he did that, Rolf stopped staring at the wall and began to eye her roommates as well as Devin and Aidan again, although she was still standing a bit away.

Devin for his part eyed the brussel sprouts in question for a moment before he shrugged his shoulders, popped two of them into his mouth and simply ate them. Chickens weren’t the only ones who liked brussel sprouts, and unlike lettuce, he didn’t mind them without seasoning!

A moment later, he walked over to Ark and stroke her – he didn’t want her to be mad at him because the new chickens were getting so much attention – and then he sat down on the floor cross-legged and began to juggle with the remaining brussel sprouts. He held two brussel sprouts in his left hand, and one in his right hand, took a deep breath and started throwing them into the air, catching them in the order he had tossed them.

“I thought rather than taking these back, I could provide the chickens with a bit of additional entertainment”, he explained to Aidan once the human was finished and turned to face him again, a surprised look on his face. “I really appreciate you helping me with the chickens, by the way”, he continued, because thanking people for their help was important in his opinion – nothing should ever be taken for granted, not even where your own roommate was concerned.

“I can probably take care of the rest on my own. Ada just made fresh bread, and one of the kitchen aides said there’s still some stew left. You can tell her that I sent you”, he offered, because Aidan deserved more than just thanks in exchange for his help.

“No, thanks, I’ll stay. I want to watch the chickens a bit and see what they’ll do”, Aidan replied. “Around the 90th, we can probably stop separating them, provided that everything goes as planned”, he added only in order to stare at Devin once again.

Juggling three brussel sprouts had been much too easy, despite their being smaller than his usual balls, so the Mortalborn had decided to stand on one leg while juggling three brussel sprouts. That forced him to really focus on his technique and make sure that he wasn’t shaking too much when juggling (which would have caused him to lose balance).

At first, he struggled a little, but after a while, he settled into a rhythm of sorts so that his thoughts eventually started to wander slightly. He’d said that he’d give Aidan’s method of introducing the new chickens to Ark a try, but maybe, he could use his Birdtongue ability later on and talk to them a bit. Maybe, he could even ask them which color they wanted their wire-fence thing to be, provided that they knew what colors were. He liked his idea so much that he began to grin all over his face, promptly lost his concentration and dropped his brussel sprouts.

Oh no!

word count: 687

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

]

Experience: +10 xp

Magic xp? No.

Collaboration: No.
Renown: +5 for a glowing chicken coop!
Injuries/Overstepping: None.
Loot: No.

Skillplay: Appropriate to level.

Knowledge:

Animal Husbandry: How to properly add new chickens to the coop
Animal Husbandry: Chickens can withstand winter temperatures without supplemental heat
Animal Husbandry: Don’t keep chickens closed up in their coop in winter!
Animal Husbandry: Cabbage or lettuce hanging from the ceiling keeps chickens busy and entertained
Athletics: Juggling with brussel sprouts
Athletics: Juggling while standing on one leg

Comments
[music]I hang out mit Smooglenuff und dat is vy dey call me “Rolf!”[/music]

A hen named “Rolf!” I love it. I really enjoyed about Devin the lime-green panda who wants everybody to be happy, especially Ark. The mistrustful dynamic between the two groups of chickens and the discussion about how to overcome that was great. I’d never heard of the cabbage or lettuce thing before. I’ll have to remember that when I want to start my own glowing chicken coop.

Devin is always such a delight to read; he wants people to be happy (even if he sometimes has opinionated ideas about what makes them happy) and critters, too. And his random hobbies and endeavors keep one guessing as to what he’s going to do next.

Consequence
Brabant, Mortalborn of brussels sprouts, is most displeased by Devin’s careless treatment of his wards-
okay, no, not really.

Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 242
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”