[Beacon] One Out Of A Herd

Beacon is a small village just outside Scalvoris Town which has grown from a few houses to a small hamlet in its own right. Made up of small houses, Beacon is the home for those who are working as "Trainees" in the Cally's group of businesses, be that Cally's Restaurant, Luna's Dream Orphanage of the Scalvoris Town Soup Kitchen. Those who live here do so for a period of time where they are provided with medical care, food and clothing while they are learning a trade. In turn, they are expected to work hard, study and to share their skills both in their job and in the Beacon community

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Beacon] One Out Of A Herd

5 Ymiden 721
"What exactly are you asking me to do?" Balthazar said with a sideways glance toward Petyr who'd told him, more or less, that the only way he was going to listen to anything Balthazar had to say was if Balthazar did him a favor. It wasn't the way Balthazar wanted it to go but it was a small price to pay to get Petyr to lay off Rita. A reasonable price if Petyr was willing to spread the word Balthazar hadn't been involved in the trade when they got to that point. Still, it was a tedious price to someone who was used to solving crimes with what felt like higher stakes.

"You remember Lukos?" Petyr asked, referring back to a name he'd shouted when Balthazar first knocked at his door. Balthazar nodded and Petyr continued, " 'e's an old mate who works in Scalvoris Proper- can't stand the bastard." Petyr couldn't quite read people so he didn't know what to make of the little furrow in Balthazar's brow until the detective asked,

"Why do you call him your mate if you can't stand him?"

"Lukos is a twat but 'e's loyal and good at 'is job." Petyr replied, revealing more about what he considered important than he probably realized. Balthazar considered what he'd said, unfortunately thinking more about how he could use that to sway Petyr to his side than about the person they were discussing. Petyr's pace was slowing down a little which lead Balthazar to believe both that they were getting close and that there was more Petyr wanted to tell Balthazar before they went in- not that Petyr was being forthcoming with whatever it was that was eating at him.

Balthazar probed because he felt information was important, "You mentioned a debt?"

"I did." Petyr was not subtle but he was effectively avoiding answering.

"Are you going to tell me what you did to incur the debt?"

"I'm not." Petyr's clipped tone should have made that clear.

"Going to tell me why you wanted me to come along for this?" It was dark and they'd just passed into Scalvoris Town when Petyr finally came to a stop and turned to face Balthazar who was still holding the bag of what he was now certain was not nels. He still wasn't sure what was inside but it felt hard, made a metal sound when it hit others of its kind in the bag, and had a very curved shape. It was clear by the look on Petyr's face, even in the dark, that he didn't want to tell Balthazar why he wanted the Flame Trooper there but he also didn't want whatever situation he was in to escalate.

Petyr took a small breath and asked, "Lukos and I 'ad a little... rough disagreement the last time saw 'im. I figure an Element in the room should keep 'im calm- just don't go 'itting 'im. Don't even say anything, just stand t'ere and give 'im the payment when I say."

"I waited outside your house all trial to talk to you and you're using me like... hired muscle?" Balthazar's voice gave off a few more notes of irritation than he intended.

"I didn't intend for you to be 'ere at all, you camped outside my 'ouse! You wanted to 'elp, this is 'ow you do it. I don't need anything else from someone like you." Petyr spat back like he hadn't wasted most of Balthazar's time. In Petyr's mind he hadn't, Balthazar should have just left him alone.

"What's that mean?"

"You're not really a farmer now are you?" Petyr asked rhetorically before continuing, "I don't 'ave any need for a Flame Trooper. I 'ave even less need for one that buys slaves and wastes 'is trial outside random 'ouses. You know what problems I 'ave? I'm runnin' out of food, beer, everything I like that 'elps me sleep at night and I'm running out of it because Ria sends it to people like you. People with enough time to sit around all trial."

"No, Ria donated seeds to a growing settlement that needed it and Haven sent some back when the bugs hit. Don't blame Ria for this."

"I don't, I blame you." Petyr said before turning and walking again, "Now come on, you're gonna make me late." They finished the walk in silence and when they arrived at Lukos's house, Balthazar remained silent. Petyr and the man greeted each other with a firm handshake and the small wince on Petyr's face told Balthazar that Lukos had put a little extra into his squeeze but Lukos did not offer his hand to Balthazar. Instead he eyed the Element suspiciously. Lukos was a large man with a wide belly and thick arms. He looked like he could have been a blacksmith but Balthazar surmised from the lack of tools that he was not.

"Who's tall, dark and ugly over there?" Lukos asked, earning a small scowl from Balthazar which prompted a laugh from Lukos.

"Just a peace keeper, you understand given 'ow things went last time." Petyr replied nervously. Petyr snapped his fingers and reached out for the bag Balthazar was holding for him. Balthazar handed it over and then Petyr passed it along to Lukos. "I 'ope this squares our debt."

"Last time you were being a turd. I assume that won't be a problem this time." Lukos said as he opened the bag and gandered insider for a trill. His hand slipped in and he pulled out a horseshoe. A horseshoe? Balthazar hid his surprise well but no one was looking at him. Lukos tapped the shoe on his desk and examined it a little closer.

"It's the best iron I could get, I-."

"Alright, shut up, it's good enough. Get outta here before I change my mind." Petyr was out the door faster than anyone Balthazar had recently seen leave a room and Balthazar followed him slowly. He could hear Lukos call back after them as they left, bellowing, "And next time, use your own damn horse!"

The duo of Balthazar and Petyr made their way back from Scalvoris Town to Petyr's home in Beacon but nothing of value was exchanged between them. Balthazar did not inquire about what Petyr had done to create the horseshoe debt and Petyr didn't seem interested in talking about anything. They arrived outside Petyr's home and only then did the man turn to look at Balthazar again. He didn't thank him, at least not verbally, but Petyr did say, "Even if this made a difference to me and mine, it wouldn't change what most people in Beacon think."

"I know and I know that I am going to have to do more to show you and everyone else that I'm not what you think I am. I'm just trying to help," Balthazar said.

"I see," Petyr said before giving Balthazar a small nod and turning to head into his home. Seeing Petyr leaving caused a lingering curiosity to rise and Balthazar decided not that he could not contain his curiosity, but that he wanted to know.

"If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you end up owing Lukos horseshoes?"

"Chrien was frowning on me." Petyr said with a sigh, "I borrowed 'is 'orse and before the trial was out it seem I'd twisted or mangled each one on the the old trotter." Balthazar's brow furrowed a little. It seemed strange that he'd break all four in one trial. A suspicious man might have thought Lukos set Petyr up so he could extort free horseshoes from him. Unfortunately Balthazar didn't know quite enough about horses and horseshoes to estimate how Lukos could have done it so he would leave it alone. The trooper thought of his long lost scalvwing, Tornado. He'd left the beast in better hands than his while he traveled but in the end it didn't matter. Sooner or later he'd have to go and get another mount for himself, one he wasn't just borrowing from the Menagerie. He shook the distracting thoughts from his head.

"Well, I wish you better fortune in the trials to come." Balthazar said to dismiss the topic before Petyr retired into his home.

The trooper was left outside, unsatisfied that he'd really made any difference with his trial but he was better informed now than when he began. Petyr's debt did not tell him much but Petyr's outburst told him plenty. Balthazar thought he had some idea of what he could do to help the people of Beacon but he wasn't quite sure how he'd do it. He'd have to keep an ear to the ground and act when he had the chance. He was certain he could find more work to do until then but for tonight he was done. It was time to find an inn with an open room and rest a little. Maybe write to Elisabeth.
word count: 1559

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Re: [Beacon] One Out Of A Herd

Player Name: Balthazar

Points awarded:10
Magic xp: none

Knowledge: none requested

Renown: none
Loot: none
Injuries/Overstepping: none
Wealth Points: none

Skill Review: All Skills used appropriately to PC's level
Notes: I was a little confused about why Balthazar feels he has to prove himself to such a simple bumpkin as Petyr, but I suppose repairing your reputation has to go one step at a time. Still, I wonder if there's a more efficient way to accomplish that. Whatever the case, I don't think your accent for Petyr was all that bad. I found it very convincing of a working-class type person.

I thought it was strange he paid in horseshoes for a mangled horse, that is in all likelihood dead now. I would think he'd rather either get a new horse, or else nels for a new animal. But maybe there's more going on here that I'm not aware of. I look forward to the solution to this mystery!

Anyway, good writing. The dialogue made the read go smoothly, and I had little trouble following the oddness of Petyr and his strange dealings.

Enjoy the rewards.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this review, feel free to PM. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 213
Avatar provided by the wonderful Pegasus
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Beacon”