• Closed • ...It's About the Journey

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Professional Nuisance Wrangler
Renown: 170
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

...It's About the Journey

Ymiden 8, Arc 721

Taking Renaissance’s reins gently - harsh, sudden movements could startle a horse - Natalia navigated him towards the edge of the road. There, a giant tree stood, marking the edge of Egilrun. It was a magnificent tree really and served as a lovely landmark for her when arrangements had been made for herself and Woe to meet up for another trip.

This time, it seemed, they were off to see Faith Augustin. He had said he would fill her in on the purpose for the trip once they were underway, which was fine with the young woman. The first trip had been pleasant, so she wasn’t concerned in the least about another, even though it would be longer and this time, just the two of them. Had she been apprehensive, she wouldn’t have consented. Woe, while not entirely known to her, had shown her nothing but kindness and companionship in their time together. In return, she had allowed him perhaps closer than most ever got in terms of knowing her, and not simply the outward facade she showed most people.

In her old life, relationships - such as they were, friendship or romantic - were problematic. One never quite never were they stood with anyone due to shifting loyalties and alliances. Some people wished to know one simply for what connections they could offer. While that was the way of life sometimes, certainly, Natalia declined an existence where she would be subjected to forever wonder if she was being used.

Patting Renny’s neck gently, she allowed her mind to wander briefly while waiting. Life on her own was…interesting. Already, things were beginning to play out before her, and not at all in the manner she had expected but regardless of that, she was learning the emotional value of uncovering life’s little mysteries. In truth, not much in her life had been such, and to her wonder, there was a bit of happiness in allowing things to simply happen instead of putting forth effort into creating their existence. Some things happened just because they were intended.

It was not to be said that effort wasn’t needed, however. She had worked hard to secure the new life she had, obliterating almost every bridge in the process. Then, the most remarkable thing happened - new bridges had been established. Bridges she was thankful for but had never expected.

Noting Woe’s approach in the distance, the young woman smiled. Speaking of bridges not expected…

A soft grin formed as he got closer, calling out to him when he was within range. “This is becoming a habit, good Sir. Meeting up with you for interesting conversations and journeys…”

Last edited by Natalia Gregorios on Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 450
"A girl should be two things: who and what she wants."

Woe
Approved Character
Profession: Éminence grise
Renown: 1465
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: ...It's About the Journey

Ymiden 8, Arc 721

Woe was investigating an insipid rumor about Faith Augustin. Not for the fact of the rumor, which in itself was preposterous for two very different reasons. One, because it held that the Order of the Adunih sacrificed souls to Famula, probably basing it off of Faith’s status as the foremost priestess of Famula in the world, and also the leader of The Order. But also because of Famula’s domains in themselves. She was the Immortal of Souls. That ought to have said enough about the matter in itself, but there they were.

Woe needed an excuse to see Faith Augustin. He had of course heard of the episode with Ellasin, a Champion of his mother. He wanted to know more, more about Labrae, about the Webspinners. He knew little enough, but had an idea based on what he’d experienced with Erastus. And he wanted to know where he stood with regards to her, with regards to many things.

The reason he undertook this journey with a companion, he thought he needed a buffer. He’d undertaken most important meetings in his life without the benefit of a person to keep him in check, and those meetings had gone horribly before. So he thought to test how Natalia worked in that regard. I she could be useful to his unfortunate habit of oversharing. What he didn’t know, and wouldn’t realize until it came to the moment, was that she may just want him to overshare. Even so, he wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. He had only met her a few times now, and wasn’t sure if he knew where she stood with regards to him, and vice versa. It was possible she was a plant sent by his mother, to further keep eyes on him. Just as he suspected Fleaface of doing. Or maybe she was something else entirely. He truly couldn’t be sure, but his paranoia was working overtime, and he supposed it was best to bring her along.

Besides, it was said Faith was a perceptive individual. Perhaps the Champion of Famula could also help in that regard? Woe thought he had earned some goodwill for helping setting up an Order outpost, if nothing else. He didn’t expect her to have to acquiesce to help him, though.

”Yes.” Woe said, reticent as he was still lost in thought. He rode upon Opal, still somewhat shaky in his saddle. But Opal was an intelligent and well trained beast. It could handle him, even if he couldn’t handle her. ”I have to be honest, I brought you along to help me in this meeting with Augustin. I have an unfortunate habit of over-sharing information about myself… I need to fill you in on the physical signs of my doing so, while we go, so let’s underway shall we?”

The first few moments of the ride to Scalvoristown, Woe told her of the physical signs of his over-sharing fits. His shoulder’s would slump, he would grow long(er) in the face, and would probably - in all likelihood - take on the appearance of wanting to cry. More than usual, anyway.

Conscious that he’d taken too much time to talk about himself, he almost forgot to ask how she’d been. ”How are you? Have you heard from that foolish Charles character, since we last met? Has anyone else bothered you?”

”I’m afraid I haven’t had time to follow up to investigate that man. But if you make a full report to the Elements, it’s a good idae.”

Template by Natalia Gregorios
word count: 613
Image*Image*Image
Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Ymiden 8, Arc 721

Natalia noticed that the man’s mood and behavior was slightly different than the other times they had spent together, throwing her a bit to start. However, having experience talking to people had given her the base skills to adjust her own behavior accordingly. At least, that’s what she told herself.

Taking the opportunity to make a few adjustments before they began the journey, she quickly drew off her gloves to stretch her fingers out a bit. Adorned on the second finger of her left hand was a gold-toned signet ring that she paid little attention to, other than to absentmindedly adjust it on her finger before stowing her gloves for the time being.

Blinking a bit, she nodded at his opening remark. Apparently, there was a rhyme to the reason of her being invited along besides the good company. The young woman listened carefully, quietly as he explained. Natalia didn’t interrupt, figuring if it was a subject important enough to warrant her presence, then it was important to him that she understood what he was explaining. She wanted to be understanding of that and questions could wait.

Patting Renny’s neck gently, she focused on the path in front of him as she filed the information away. Slumping shoulders. Long face. What he was asking her to do seemed simple enough, but until the situation presented itself, it was hard to judge. What he was describing to her was extremely dissimilar to his body language he had exhibited thus far in their meetings but to be fair, she knew little about him.

Nodding as he concluded, she spoke softly regarding what he told her. “I will do my best to assist.”

Once that matter was settled, he asked her of herself, referencing the first trip they had taken to Scalvoristown. “I’ve been well. Thank you for asking. And no, I haven’t seen him since. I’m hoping it was an isolated matter, but I’ve taken appropriate precautions.” Of course, she had her suspicions it wasn’t, but neither Woe or Blodwen had pushed her on the subject when she slipped and mentioned she might have an idea regarding its origin. Thusly, she didn’t feel the need to bother anyone further with her issues, which may or may not have been figments of her imagination.

Natalia wished to ask after him as well, but small talk wasn’t in her nature, and the shift in mood was making her cautious. On one hand, he was trusting her to help him with something that seemed important to him, so that was a positive. The young woman genuinely wanted good things for Woe, and she was happy to help him in whatever manner she could. On the other, she didn’t want him to feel as though she was invading his time or making claims to it and as such had kept her distance as she moved back and forth between Egilrun and Scalvoristown.

Quickly searching for a topic to speak on – one that would allow her more time to figure out exactly what was going on – Natalia finally settled on one that she thought they would both appreciate – Opal. “Woe, I think when you introduced me to Opal that I failed to ask you what breed she is. She’s gorgeous, of course, but I’m curious where you encountered her. She’s incredibly unique.” The young woman herself was familiar with more common breeds of horses but Woe’s mount seemed to be something of a different nature, piquing Natalia’s natural curiosity.

word count: 604

Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Woe frowned apologetically at Natalia after he concluded his warning of the many signs that he was about to make a faux pas, or overshare. "I hope you don't think I'm using you. Well obviously I am in this instance, but it's not my intention to deceive or manipulate you. I will never do that in any way that provides detriment to your well-being." Woe said to her, and he meant it. She was a good friend and good company, and he wanted to keep it at that.

That's not to say that he never considered her potential as a romantic interest, but with Woe knowing his own history regarding that form of entanglement, he'd rather leave well enough alone.

He sighed as they went along when finally she opened up a conversation again. It was good that she hadn't been accosted yet by the man. Woe would see to it that he would trouble her no more if she had been accosted again. The man could only evade the authorities for so long. Such a brazen idiot of a horse thief could only abide in polite society for so long before he was caught out.

But then, the conversation turned toward a subject that while unexpected, wasn't unwelcome. Still, it was an interesting and somewhat revealing story. Suddenly Woe felt a twinge of suspicion arise from the back of his mind. Was she a Webspinner? An agent of his mother, sent to replace Fleaface? It was almost too coincidental, that he'd met her shortly after he sent Fleaface away. And that she'd inserted herself into his sphere. Paranoia didn't suit Woe, however, in his mind. He had only to deal with what was in front of him.

Still, he maintained a view of her tangle as he spoke, trying to suss out clues that might point toward her being a webspinner. Had that sea monster he pictured earlier been a spider, for instance? Possibly. It wasn't and wouldn't be the first time he was wrong about what he saw on someone's tangle. Doubtless to be the last.

"Have you heard of Destiars?" Woe asked her. Then patted Opal's shawl that covered her head and eyes. He smiled down at the beast, "That's what she is. One of the few of her kind to come out of the Unibor forest. They're said to only take riders who prove worthy of their test..." Woe said and considered sharing how he'd tricked her into taking him as her rider. But he thought better of it. Perhaps later he'd share that detail.

"I found her in the Western Continent when I was traveling that way. After the Rhakros War in Etzos... through which I was involved."

Woe clicked his tongue as he led Opal along, trying to guide her along with a mix of verbal and somatic signals. "She's one of a kind, however. I suspect all Destiars are, really."

word count: 511
Image*Image*Image
Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Ymiden 8, Arc 721

Natalia smiled and shrugged as Woe offered some additional thoughts on what he was asking her to do. He had an issue and was asking to her to help solve it. It was fairly straightforward as far as the young woman was concerned. “If I felt you would deceive or manipulate me, I wouldn’t be here, Woe. You are asking for my help, and I’m happy to do so.” It was what it was, and she didn’t believe in lingering upon issues any longer than necessary. The matter was concluded in her mind.

Almost.

“I’ve never wished to deceive or manipulate you either, or will I ever lie to you. If I had a way to prove that, I would be delighted to do just that. I feel that in this life, truth is something that is difficult to come by. I don’t see the point in deception or manipulation of friends, not that I’ve had many.” She considered the man her friend and she had no desire to lie to him about her intentions.

Now, the matter was concluded.

Natalia’s tangle would back up her words, hinting at nothing devious or untruthful. In fact, if possible, she was being more open than normal as generally her guard was up, and words minded with others. If tangles could signal as much, hers would be.

Moving on to the question she had asked, he began to tell her about Destiars. Shaking her head gently, she listened quietly as he spoke. Definitely interesting, Destiars. Something of a fantastical creature for sure, but the story was made even more interesting due to the details that came with it. Leading Opal along, Woe spoke of places and things she knew nothing of, but the information revealed not only things about the man, but Natalia herself.

Rhakros War in Etzos, which she knew nothing about, but the fact that he had been involved intrigued her. Every time they spoke, he told her something new about himself, yet she remained a mystery.

Perhaps it was time to change that.

“Woe, remember on our first trip? When I said that I might know what the attack was regarding?” Hesitating for a moment, she looked at him. Trust was something that she wasn’t sure she knew how to do very well, but maybe it was time to start trying. “My family lives in Scalvoristown. Very wealthy. There was a…situation. I left my family and am on my own now.”

The one thing that would be most evident in Natalia’s words is the way she spoke them. A rather confident young woman, but as she struggled to tell him something, anything of her past, she fought for every word. It wasn’t the eloquent cadence he was used to, but something much different.

Sighing in frustration, she stopped trying to talk for a moment, reining in her thoughts. “I’m not very good at sharing information. At least, not this type. I’m sorry.” Leaning over to pet Renaissance gently, almost as an act of self-soothing, she began again.

"I'm not saying this for any other reason than, you've been forthright with me. I wished to return the act while telling you something of my past, but its not something I'm used to doing, as you can see.”

word count: 567

Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Ymiden 8th, Arc 721

Woe was relieved that she didn't feel he was putting her in a position that was uncomfortable for her. Though he very well may be doing so. Faith could appear soft and welcoming, but she was uncompromising, and a highly formiddable person. She'd defeated the Champion of his mother, Sintra, afterall. A woman who was not only powerful in Lethroda and the Webspinners, but a revealed mage into the bargain, with all the might of several arcane disciplines at her command. Woe had heard much about the situation from what contacts he had through the Assembly of the Abyss. Back when its leader hadn't gone awol.

Woe listened to her assurances, and nodded. Though that nod didn't equal approval. "You may well want to deceive me from time to time. I wouldn't shut the door on any option. especially when you have me at a disadvantage. It'd be a shame to relinquish that advantage." having said that, Woe was keenly aware that he still had the frequency open on the hairpin that she possessed. Something of a relic from a time when he still thought she might be a threat. Yet the omre he listened, the more candid she seems and open, and in a way, terribly naive. He wanted her to do well in life, and exceed expectations. But it would take some guidance.

"Don't make promises you may not be able to keep. Promises in general are a bad proposition. Like standing on a rolling log in the middle of stormy waters. Things are liable to change at a bad turn. But then, where will you be when you made a stand on a promise?" He let her think on his clumsy metaphor a moment, before continuing on their way.

Woe monitored her tangle through it all. And though truth could be inferred from certain signals, such signals were never foolproof. There was too much of a margin for error when it came to determining the truth. Even for one who was as practiced at reading people as Woe, and who had the benefit of Empathy. Sometimes Empathic signals could deceive, and not through any intention of the subject. But just by the sheer unfamiliarity of the mage with the subject in question.

Woe listened to her speak about the attack that had been perpetrated upon her, earlier last Cycle. She explained, in not so many words, although Woe could surmise the rest, that she was from a good family. A family that apparently had prospects wrapped up in their daughter's.

She conceded that she was not as adept at spilling information as him. And she'd be right. Few could rival the Mortalborns' propensity to overshare his life story. He didn't know what prompted him to it. Was it craving dependence, intimacy? He couldn't say. Some people just had a way of bringing it out of him.

"Natalia, after this meeting with Faith? Let's have a sit down and you can tell me more about you. I would like to learn more, and I feel we have more in common than it would seem based on surface appearances. Although I come from a much different background."

Woe said no more of that, thinking that she ight've hinted that she wished for him to share quite so much, so fast. So he took that on advisement. "You do well to guard your secrets, as I bid you to. It may help someday, when you meet the wrong one, who's liable to deceive you."

Woe sighed, as he urged his Destiar onward, a little ahead of Rennaisance and Natalia, so he could scout out the area ahead. Seeing nothing amiss, he fell back to her. "I'll admit, I think this rumor is fairly silly. This rumor regarding Faith and the Order."

He shook his head, as they rode ownards. "So, about this incident involving your parents? A dispute about what career to pursue? A marriage proposal fallen through? Again, you don't have to tell me. But it's troubling that this man seems to have targetted you for a reason, and wasn't a random mugging."

word count: 710
Image*Image*Image
Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Ymiden 8, Arc 721

Woe nodded and proceeded to tell Natalia that deception was occasionally a necessary thing. Arching an eyebrow gently, she turned to consider her traveling companion, laughing softly. “I admit, I didn’t expect that advice. I assure you, deception is something I can handle. I chose not to employ it on you because I enjoy your company and I’d rather not base our association on lies.”

Keeping her eyes forward on the road, she listened to him speak about promises. Ah yes, pesky things promises were. Smiling lightly, Natalia chose not to look Woe’s direction when replying.

“Did I promise you something? I think not, my friend. I said that I would never lie to you. I never said that I promised to never lie to you.” She was speaking about semantics, of course. Word play at it’s finest.

“I know you are giving me advice, Woe. It may not seem like it, but I’m listening. I promise.” Turning to grin at him, she returned her golden eyes to the land in front of them, wondering briefly why she sought to make him smile by using humor, or more pointedly, why did it matter to her if he did or didn't?

Their conversation had veered to the circumstances of her life. She had wanted to share something of herself with him, and in turn he had considered that they should sit down and speak after his business with Faith Augustin was concluded, which suited her just fine.

As much as she was capable of deceiving someone for the right reasons, Woe’s point about someone being able to deceive her easily was taken, nodding gently to him. “I agree. I’ve spent my life naturally assuming that most everyone is lying to me. It’s something of a sad existence. In society, even small talk is a set of little lies. You greet someone and they ask how you are. How often do they really desire to know? Of course, there are always exceptions but still, the point stands.”

He spoke of the rumor that he wished to speak to Faith about, stating he felt it was silly and yet still, he wished for the audience. Nothing felt off about that, so she simply nodded as he returned to her, responding. “I suppose, at the very least, it can be a matter cleared up and set right.” Not knowing much about the subject matter, she couldn’t comment further, but if he felt strongly enough about it to follow up, she saw no reason to dissuade him from that.

Then again, she was enjoying the time spent, and what they were doing really mattered little to her.

He gently inquired about the disagreement that had led to the rift with her parents, stating that she didn’t have to tell him. Considering that, she nodded, taking a moment to think about what she felt comfortable telling him. Using a gentle touch of her foot to his side, she moved Renaissance a bit closer to Opal, keeping in mind the skittish nature of Woe’s mount, Natalia lowered her voice a bit, although considering they were totally alone, she had no idea what compelled her to do so.

“While arranged marriages are no longer done necessarily, I was raised knowing that there were certain expectations surrounding my future marriage. Relationships are something I’ve never excelled at, and after a certain point, my father took matters into his own hands. I was betrothed, against my wishes, to a man that is not kind.” Her words were soft as she told her tale, leaving various details out for in the grand scheme, they didn’t matter.

“I stalled as long as I could and when it was apparent that things were coming to a head, I informed my father that I would not be going along with the arrangement, removing myself from the situation and leaving. The man was not happy. He feels I embarrassed him and as such, threatened me. I believed him to be too lazy to follow up on his threats but after the attack, I might have been mistaken about that. Nothing has happened since however, so I’m not sure.”

Last edited by Natalia Gregorios on Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 712

Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Woe wasn't easily amused, nor disposed toward sharing the mirth of another. So when she shot a grin at him after her humorous statement, he turned aside, checking the path his Destiar was treading.

Her thoughts on the dishonesty of people, in general, seemed to signal a person that was oft deceived, or betrayed or else abused. People coming from such circumstances often came out of it being mistrustful by default, and Woe was no exception. So he hoped to avoid giving her a reason not to distrust him. At the same time, he wanted to create distance between himself and her, he knew the fastest way to accomplish that now. Not that he would. But he tucked that kernel of knowledge away in his mind.

Woe shrugged toward her response about Faith and the rumor. He had other ideas but thought that might be a good segue to approach them with Faith. In his haste to meet with the Order's leader, perhaps he was missing an important detail...

Eventually, when it came to Natalia's response to his query, she told him of an arranged marriage. Such a thing was common where he was from, in Rynmere, even to the point of commoners doing it to seal financial pacts and strengthen their position. Yet in Scalv? It seemed absolutely antithetical to the culture. Woe almost didn't believe her but was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and let her speak her piece. He would reserve judgment when more information became clear.

She imparted her suspicions regarding the man that she'd left, and postulated that it might be connected to the man who assaulted her upon her horse. If this was true, then she was absolutely correct about the man that she'd broken her engagement with. He seemed like a feckless fool, with little to commend himself to his nation. Woe at least would prefer to act on personal matters personally, and not rent out a killer to do what he couldn't. There was little satisfaction to be had from that. Woe supposed it might be different for people who grew up in wealth.

So they rode along, mostly quiet on Woe's part, onward toward Scalvoris. He had maybe a few things to say on the way, but nothing of substance, taken by a gloomy mood.

word count: 400
Image*Image*Image
Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

]

It’s all about the horses. And trust issues. I’m also curious to see how this investigation into the rumors about Faith and the Order pans out.
Natalia

Experience: +15 xp

Magic xp: None

Knowledge:

Skill Knowledge:

Mount: Land - Gentle hands when guiding reins
Mount: Land - Using foot signals to indicate direction
Navigation - Using landmarks as starting points
Detection - Noting differences in another's behavior
Psychology - Recognizing an act of self-soothing
Animal Husbandry - Considering another animal's temperament before directing your own.
Socialization - Pointing out differences in phrasing can change meaning.
Socialization - Agreeing to help another
Discipline - Choosing not to decieve another

Renown None.

Injuries/Overstepping: None.

Skillplay: Appropriate to level

Comments:

So Nat said she would never lie, but she never *promised* not to lie. Did she cross her fingers when she said it, by any chance? Was she touching “Base”, or omit to say ‘Simon says’?

I enjoyed learning a bit more about Natalia’s past, and how it has shaped who she is now, from reading this thread. She clearly has some trust issues, albeit she comes by them honestly. At least she trusts her horse, right?

It will be interesting to see what becomes her relationship with Woe moving forward, to say nothing of her “relationship” with her former betrothed.
Woe

Experience: +15 x.p.

Skillplay: Appropriate to level.

Knowledges:

Deception: Selective sharing.
Mount x 5
Socialization: Sharing one's experiences and thoughts.
Socialization: Getting another to open up with a story about themselves.

Renown None.

Injuries/Overstepping: None.

Comments: Ambivalence, thy name is Gomer Andy. Woe wants to get to know Natalia better, but also wants to leave his emotional escape routes open. He wants to trust her but also to keep an eye on her Tangle. Hopefully he can find the right balance between openness and psychological self-defense in time to find the relationship he wants!

word count: 315
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”