[Hopetoun] Rule #2: Don't Get Killed.

28th of Ashan 721

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1724
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Hopetoun] Rule #2: Don't Get Killed.

28th Ashan, 721.

following this
The experts from Saoire's Dream had arrived. Vega had got them settled and given them somewhere to stay and she and Wren were meeting them. First things first, she wanted to make sure that she was keeping her side of the bargain made with Saoire. It would help them, she knew, as they spent time in Hopetoun, too. "Right, Wren," she said quietly. "I'm goin' to rely on you to help me, alright? Keep an eye out, be constantly aware." He nodded, seriously.

As the five experts from the school came to where Vega and Arlo's camp was, she and Wren were sitting on benches Vega had made and she had made sure that there were seats for everyone - from six foot tall Reggie to two foot if that Mavis, she and Wren had got them sorted. As they arrived, Vega waved to them and offered tea. When they were all five seated and had hot drinks, Vega looked around. "A'right, so I thought that I could do a lesson with you all each trial that you're here. Once it gets too dark to be doin' buildin', or first thing in the mornin'. Then, when we've got a break in the middle of a trial, an' I'm sure you're not goin' to be killin' yourself, I'll take you out on a hunt." They nodded. "Wren's goin' to be joinin' us, an' I'm goin' to open up these lessons to the settlers here, too," They were perfectly happy with all of that, and Vega smiled.

"But to-trial, I'm goin' to go over some real basics with you, to make sure that you're not goin' to break rule one or rule two," she said. "What are they?" Rover asked and Vega grinned. "Don't die, an' don't get killed." They nodded their heads at this and listened. Vega noticed that Reggie, Rover and Mad-Eye had notebooks and she felt a rush of some anxiety at that. They would make notes. What if she said something stupid, and they wrote it down? She deliberately pushed that away, however, and decided to just get on with it.

"Now, before we start, I need to be clear with you. I'm not goin' to go easy on you. The world is a dangerous place an' I want you to survive." Why, Vega wondered, did they have to have such large and adorable eyes? "I'd be doin' you a disservice. Some of you are so small that you might be mistaken for prey by larger animals," Mavis and Herman were in real danger of this, Vega thought. "An' I am goin' to teach you the best I can. I want you to learn the best you can, so if you don't understand somethin' or you're not sure, then ask me. I don't bite."

There were general noises of assent and so Vega continued. "An' that is the first thing. Cadouri are new to this world, an' you're confusin' to the animals. When animals are confused, they can behave in odd ways. So you need to respect that." Rover raised a hand, and Vega looked at him expectantly.

"In what way am I confusing to animals? Any of us?"

Vega blinked slightly and then realised that he was being serious. "Well. When huntin' or investigatin' somethin' we have a sayin'. 'If it looks like a duck an' it quacks like a duck, chances are, it's a duck.' Puttin' it frankly, you ruin that sayin'." Rover looked at her and nodded, but Vega continued. "Mavis looks like a mouse. Herman like a hamster. I'm willin' to bet you that you can even make those noises, right? So you look like a mouse, an' you smell like a mouse, an' you sound like a mouse, but you are not a mouse." Looking at Mavis and Herman, she asked. "The animals what you look like, mice an' hamsters, they respond positively to you? Curious, I bet, but positive an' not like you're a threat?"

Herman and Mavis glanced at each other and nodded. "That's exactly right," said Herman. He sounded a little like he thought maybe she was watching him when he didn't know it, Vega thought, and she smiled. "That's because they recognise you, or think they do. An' the same is true for everything what sees mices an' hamsters as prey." They all got it at that point and Vega looked at them.

"So, you need to find out what animals see the animal you look like as prey. An' here on Scalvoris, that's goin' to be different to in Rharne, or in Melrath. It's different everywhere, an' the best thing you can do is find out about it."

word count: 815

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1724
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Hopetoun] Rule #2: Don't Get Killed.

28th Ashan, 721.

following this
That made sense to them and, more than that, it was a course of action they could take.

"So," Vega continued, "I'm goin' to talk to you about one, specifically, which caused your companion to come a cropper. That's the etchwing. It's somethin' specific to Faldrass, an' I think it's the perfect example. It's a tricky bird, so it is." She looked around at them and explained. "When it's in flight, it's near to invisible. But once it's dead, you should see the feathers, well beautiful they are. But it's like all you can see it the outside edge of it - like it's someone has etched it on a dark wood or somethin'. They're really hard to spot. But they specifically hunt voles, an' that's a useful thing to know. It means that I can use voles as bait, to get them to come below the treeline, where they're easier to see." She nodded to Herman and Mavis. "But it also means that you're in danger from them. Because, like mice an' hamsters, they're goin' to think that they know who you are an' what you are."

Mad Eye spoke up then and said, in his deep growly voice, "It sounds like it's a very bad idea to go out hunting. Or walking." Vega looked at him and shook her head. "No, not at all," she said. "Or, honestly, no more than any person in the world walkin' in any place." Mad Eye raised an eyebrow at that. "That isn't how it sounds to me. What do you mean?"

Vega considered it. "Me an' my family spent a fair bit of time in Rharne," she said. "An' this one time we were there, they were really riled up against the Aukari. There were beatin's an' stonin's of people with red hair." That said, she lifted a hand to her own mass of red curls. "An' I knew it. " Vega smiled slightly. "I got attacked by a group of five men, who pounded me a bit, an' who I pounded right back." She looked at them. "I were prepared, an' I knew, an' I took a calculated risk. I was ready." Gesturing to the surrounding area, Vega explained. "I knew the terrain I was goin' into, an' I knew who was goin' to regard me with hostility, an' who'd think I was prey. An' in that moment, I had a decision to make. "

"What decision?" Reggie asked.

"I had to decide how I was goin' to use that information. I could go out on the attack, on the defence or I could stay in." Reggie nodded. "This is what we have to do, I think. Decide." Vega smiled. "Yeah, definitely. An' what you choose to do, that will determine what type of survival you need to learn. If you want to defend, then it's different than if you're goin out there lookin' for trouble, you know?"

They each nodded. Mavis then spoke up with her small, trembling voice. "I don't want to fight, I really don't. But I hate that Reggie worries so much every time I step outside the school." Vega nodded. "So, yeah, that's what you need to think about. How will you be seen, how do you want to deal with it." She smiled at Mavis. "If you don't want to fight, then we need to make you look less like a mouse. Or have some means of makin' things not attack you." She glanced at Herman. "Same for you, Herman. Reggie, it's a different thing for you. You're taller, bigger. For you, an' Rover an' Mad-Eye, you need to be able to survive." But they didn't have to deal with being prey, as a rule, she thought.

It made things more difficult for Mavis and Herman, but in that manner, they had to just understand. It made it more difficult so they had to prepare more and look more and make sure that they were ready more. But it didn't mean that they couldn't go. It didn't even mean that they couldn't hunt. They just had to think about it. "So, the first lesson in survival is the same for everyone." Vega said. "The more you know about where you're goin' an' the better equipped an' prepared you are? The easier it is to survive." Vega said. "Learnin' about what to expect, plannin' for things. That's more important than I can tell you. It's where survival starts."

They were all watching her and Vega knew that she had them. They were willing to learn, happy to do that and so, she could help them. "Alright. I want you to think about, before we meet up again, how animals will respond to you." She looked, waiting for any questions and they had none. So, Vega smiled. "An' while you're thinkin', come on. I'll show you hope point." Reaching out to take Wren's arm, she added. "I mean, we'll show you. Me an' Wren."
word count: 871

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Fate
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Immortal
Renown: 0
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Staff

Events

Re: [Hopetoun] Rule #2: Don't Get Killed.

Your Review
Vega

Overview

It is always interesting to watch Vega in a teaching situation. She is very good at correctly accessing the style of her students. While she always does it with that wonderful Vega style, and with concern she approached this group very much based on what was needed and much so for the individual while at the same time keeping the group involved. Thank you for helping the cuteness in the world keep itself alive.

XP: 10
Renown: 5

Loot

Knowledge

Skills Appropriate to level

Teaching: The best lesson is an individual one
Teaching: Teach from experience, where you can
Teaching: Consider that each student is different
Logistics: How to plan time between doing something and teaching something
Logistics: Arranging places for people to stay
Logistics: Preparing a schedule with some flexibility.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this review - drop me a PM.

word count: 149
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”