[Haven] A Fence In Need of Mending

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Haven] A Fence In Need of Mending

30 Ashan 721

Breaks after the tense near-altercation on the beach, when the chill had settled in and peace swept through Scalvoris, Balthazar sat with the Albarech's letter in his hand, looking over her words again. He found it odd that after everything she still addressed him as Flame Trooper Balthazar Black. He didn't feel like one of them anymore. He felt out of the loop, put on the fringe and kept there under watch out of fear of what might happen if he left again. The letter was brief and seemed formulaic, Kura was probably sending them out to all the islands but he had a little note about Elisabeth being safe to indicate this one was meant for him. Balthazar looked down at Fuego sitting on his desk in front of him in the house he'd built on Haven. Tib'ron said it was nicer than anything his settlers had, Balthazar said it cost more than anything, it was received as a statement of his vanity but in fairness, what else would it look like? He kept his intentions internal and his actions, as they always had, seemed ripe with flaws. He had not intended the house as a tribute to his own vanity. He meant to make a common space for all the settlers to gather and discuss issues or celebrate occasions. Well, not all of the settlers at once. It was large but it was not a mansion. Without Elisabeth there it seemed a might larger but it wasn't really. He wouldn't be fitting forty two people into his house soon.

Everything needed to grow, everything needed to expand and the best way to do that was to cooperate. That was one point the Albarech made that Balthazar thought to act on sooner rather than later. With more and more researchers coming into Haven, more perspectives entering the pot, there was a little more trouble that accompanied it. Reports came of arguments mostly but there had been one fight that neither man would confess to the cause of when the settlement guards asked. They were far from interrogators. There was a friction in Haven that he had caused when he addressed his disappearance. He pointed too many fingers and threw around too much blame. He didn't mind it at first but when opinions started turning against him after he built a grand three room house, he began to. He wanted to maintain order without demanding it. If settlers were going to fight and risk ruining what they were building, it was going to get in the way of his plans. So how would he resolve it? How had he started it? A speech. He didn't have to gather the settlers on the beach this time, he could bring them into his home, he'd designed the building with a big room for meetings in mind. Resources allowed for maybe twelve people to be crammed into the room, more if he was willing to risk irritating them. Twelve would be enough to start and spread the message.

Part of Balthazar was hoping that by gathering them inside his house, out of the unnatural cold and bundled closely together to accommodate them, he would be able to show those who had been upset the benefit of the large room. It was for them more than him. He did not enjoy having to walk across the long room every time he wanted to get to his bedroom but it was another poor design choice. He should have put more doors in. He had sent Balder, Ronan, and Silk to gather the heads of the families of Haven, no children because he figured their opinions would form from the opinions of their parents. The guards had been gone for a few bits now and Balthazar still sat with Kura's letter in his hand, thinking about how to approach it. He felt she was owed a response but he did not know if that should come through action or words.

She never seemed to like his words. He often told Elisabeth that actions meant more... so maybe he would be better off not writing her back? No... he'd think on what to do a little bit more. It was clear, at least, that he had not disregarded her message. Miranda shifted with the former mage as he got out of his chair and began pushing aside some of the tables in the room to make more space in the center for those his guards were gathering. It was not so extremely late into the night that they would be angry, but late enough that those who had children would most likely have already put their child to bed. People began arriving slowly with the guards who'd gone out to get them and Balthazar greeted them as they arrived. For a few bits they all just spoke, caught up on their lives, and Balthazar discretely kept moving about the room and shifting furniture to make space while he thought of the best approach to take.

When he had it, or thought he had it, he moved to the head of the room and looked out at the group of socializing settlers and realize he needed to get their attention... politely. He cleared his throat but it wasn't quite enough for everyone to hear. He cleared his throat a little more loudly but still, people spoke. A little frustration swelled inside the leader and he banged his hand firmly on the table twice causing two loud thuds to echo through the room that drew the attention of all those he'd gathered. They looked to him awaiting an explanation and Balthazar took a deep breath, then began.

"Thank you all for coming, I hope you are all doing well in light of recent events." Balthazar began, knowing that if he told them everything he knew and suspected it would cause more panic than good. Instead he decided to tell the people what mattered for them. "As many of you might have expected, the storm that hit Faldrass earlier was not naturally occurring, nor is the chill that has settled over our settlement." Murmurs began to spread through the crowd so Balthazar raised his voice just a little to get the attention of the crowd again, "I've been assured that the situation is under control but until then if your families need a warmer place to stay, feel free to gather them here." That wasn't entirely true to the information he got from the Albarech. She was working on solving it but that didn't mean, by any stretch, that it was under control.

He remembered Faldrass. He remembered more details about it that any of them should have been able to but perhaps they just had very good memories. Faldrass was the first time he had seen Kura use magic, the first time he'd watched a Council member nearly bring about the doom of a whole island because he couldn't keep his cool... honestly Faldrass was a great many firsts for Balthazar. First time overstepping in Attunement so grandly that it mutated him too. What he had seen then did not inspire confidence now but he had to accept that the issue was out of his hands. He had to rely on something he often told Elisabeth not to, hope... and trust.

"I've gathered you to address the friction I've received reports of from my guards." This caused another set of grumbles to spread through the crowd that didn't last quite as long as the first. "I understand that these are difficult times but I believe in difficult times we should unite to face the challenges ahead of us, not divide." Balthazar saw that they didn't quite understand what he meant, "There are factions forming here and I want none of it. Abolish them. Haven and Faldrass, all of us, are a part of Scalvoris. When the mainland is in danger, Faldrass is. When Ishallr, the mountains, Almund or Beacon are in danger, we are. When they need help it is our duty to help them and when we need help they will help us, just as they have so far."

"You said that we were better than the rest of them," One of the older men in the crowd interrupted, referring to the speech he'd made that caused the friction to start. "What changed?"

"Nothing has changed. I said you were stronger and I stand by that. All of you, and everyone in Hopetoun, chose to settle in an unknown and potentially dangerous place because it was your home and you insisted on fixing it. You are strong people, Haven is strong because of your courage, but so is Scalvoris. Not one of these islands can operate without the others and no one settlement can survive on its own forever. I was angry about my trial, I still am angry, but that does not mean we are not part of Scalvoris. It does not mean we get to make our own rules." Balthazar hoped that would get across that he had not lost faith in the abilities of the settlers. "The Albarech has decided to send more Elements to help secure Haven against the cold. I'll be making more requests to the Council for supplies and pamphlets in the coming trials, if there is anything you need all, notify me or one of my guards and we will ensure your request is sent to the appropriate parties. The only way through hard times is together. Remember that."
word count: 1617

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

Re: [Haven] A Fence In Need of Mending

Experience: +10 xp

Knowledge:

None claimed.

Non-skill:

Skillplay: Appropriate to level

Loot: None.

Injuries/Overstepping: None.

Consequences: The speech doesn’t actually change much, tbh. It doesn’t actually address any underlying problems, which didn't include a shortage of lectures about teamwork; it just lets people know what Balthazar wants. By the time Ziell’s freezy-truce wears off, the two factions will be back to hating each other’s guts.

The most meaningful thing that happens here is Balth’s offer to let settlers stay warm in his house. For the duration of the Ziell thing (until Ashan 38) the house will be fairly crowded with settlers taking up their governor’s invitation to keep warm there. The proximity of that many people means that Balthazar will have even less privacy than usual, and there will be low grade roommate friction among the various temporary residents.

Magic Experience?: None.

Renown: +5.

Comments:
Governing’s hard, isn’t it? Balthazar continues to juggle a lot of balls, and then along comes Ziell and throws in something else for Balthazar to juggle. He is still trying to win, though, which is a good thing.

Most of my comments on the speech are covered in the consequences section.

You didn’t claim any knowledges. PM me if you change your mind.

Let me know if you have any questions/feedback. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 233
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”