[Haven] Starting Small Scale

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Haven] Starting Small Scale

17 Ashan 721
"Actually no, I was thinking about giving a few strong young settlers a few nels to help us move the whole thing closer to the settlement." Balthazar admit when Elisabeth suggested cutting it up into smaller portions to make transportation easier. Her suggestion would probably work too but they'd have to make multiple trips all the same. He had no plans to disregard the branches they were harvesting but he was still ironing out exactly what he wanted to use them for. There were many, many options. As they worked away at the branches, hacking and chopping to separate them from the central log, he considered that the branches would probably make better weapons than the main log. They were roughly the size of short swords in some places and with a good deal of grinding he could probably make them look like proper weapons.

Elisabeth asked about the branches and Balthazar seemed to snap out of whatever zone he'd been in. He had, admittedly, become lost in the rhythm of the chops and his own thoughts and forgotten about his surroundings for a moment. All he'd been thinking about was completing the job at hand. Balthazar gave a small shrug and kept chopping. "We can use the smaller ones for a fire but I might try to turn the thicker ones into training weapons for the guards and settlers who come to the night sessions. If the badlands becomes an issue, it might be useful to have them trained in more than unarmed combat." Balthazar suggested as he cleaved a branch from the tree and set it aside. The cuts were not quite as clean as he would have liked them to be so he spent a little time cutting away jagged pieces of wood sticking out from the body of the tree but most of the time he was working at the branches and piling them up while they spoke and the shadow watched.
word count: 332

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Arc 721, 17 Ashan

Balthazar often got lost in his thoughts. It was endearing and occasionally frustrating, but Elisabeth never thought much of it. She was equally apt to getting lost in thought, so it was just a trait they shared. The monotonous motions of their work helped fuel that but instead of falling into a silence, she simply replied to his comments with her own thoughts. “I suppose it will work either way. I’ve never tried to haul a tree of this size any matter of distance, and I was unsure of the logistics involved. Well, to be fair, I’ve never hauled a tree of any size….”

Shrugging her shoulders a bit, she thoughts back to what she had learned about starting fires. The smaller pieces of branch would light on fire easily if they were dry. That could be a bit of a problem as the weather had been on and off showers for a few trials. Finding a place to store them, out of the elements to dry out, would require some thinking.

His comment about the badlands drew a raised eyebrow. “Do you think it’s going to be a bigger issue?” Balthazar was much more experienced in all-things-fantastical, so she tended to listen when he started mentioning things like that. “Obviously, going by the name, it is not a great place, but it seems to have stayed contained since we’ve been here. Or are you worried that something would trigger activity?”

Letting her mind mull that over a bit, she considered what she would do, presented with an issue like the badlands. Ideally, a barrier between them and it would be a good idea, but she wasn’t sure wood was the best material for that. Then again, anything they put around the settlement would possibly need to be widened eventually, due to growth. It was a sticky issue and Elisabeth didn’t really have any great ideas. Perhaps it was better to consider how to protect the people themselves as opposed to the property. They had access to the water. Maybe rafts that the people could get on and float out into the water until the danger passed? It wasn’t a horrible idea…but probably not a good one either, but Balthazar did enjoy mentioning when her ideas were silly.

"So, I was thinking. It occurred to me that trying to keep the badlands out of Haven might prove to be problematic. The settlement will eventually outgrow any fortifications we put up. What if, instead, we shift our thinking to a way to protect the settlers instead? I was thinking like rafts or something, get them out on the water until the danger passes, but it could be anything really. Of course, that relies on the premise that whatever would threaten them from the badlands can't swim...."

Last edited by Elisabeth Black on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 480
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

17 Ashan 721
"And consider that we picked a fairly small tree compared to the ones I'll be helping the settlers cut down." Balthazar pointed out when Elisabeth said that she'd never hauled any size tree for any distance. A roughly twenty foot tree was nothing compared to the much larger, nearly two hundred foot trees in the Ashwoods but it was a start and it showed them how to get the job done in basic terms. Balthazar was still working on how to control the falling path of the tree but he figured that could wait until they were going to cut down another one. For the moment they needed to focus on trimming the tree they had and getting the wood back to the settlement. Elisabeth inquired about the Badlands and Balthazar gave a small shrug in response between hacking limbs off of the tree. It hadn't been a problem for them yet but the Creep had not been a constant problem for Quacia or Melrath. It was a problem that sat somewhere, grew to a point where it was dangerous, and then attacked. The Flameborn were the same from Balthazar's perspective, waiting for the right moment to strike and the moment often being related to their sheer numbers.

"All I know is that if something does suddenly come out of the Badlands, I'd rather our guards be able to handle whatever it is." He answered her question about his concern vaguely and kept working on what he was doing. Cutting the limbs of the tree gave him the opportunity to practice a few different front hand and backhand chops with the one handed axe- a few overhand swings as well but they were not quite as useful at removing the limbs as the front and backhand chops were. Elisabeth kept chatting and Balthazar kept trimming down the tree while she did. She assumed he enjoyed pointing out the flaws in her ideas but as a recently returned leader of a group of people who he still had to win back over after being arrested, he would have much preferred a flawless idea be presented to him that he could sit and be baffled by.

Instead she said that they should make rafts because the settlement would eventually outgrow the fortifications they put up. Well, she'd get what she wanted, he would poke at the holes in her ideas. "That's not necessarily true." Balthazar pointed out to Elisabeth, addressing the growth of the settlement first. "We don't have an endless stretch of land between us and the sea. We don't really have room to expand without moving into either the Badlands, Serenity Garden, which isn't ours to settle in, or the Ashwoods and if we want the Ashwoods to remain a reliable source of wood, we can't start cutting down the trees we would need to cut down to settle there." Balthazar explained, having given this topic of expansion some thought before. He didn't see expansion as feasible. Growth, maybe, but not expansion. Wood buildings could become stone buildings, their small houses could become larger, but if they truly wanted to expand, the Badlands would need to be conquered.

The other issue with Elisabeth's idea, to Balthazar, lay in how things had gone when the volcano erupted. Had a settlement of people gone out onto rafts in the water, they would have all been killed by the debris and unnatural waves. "I think we'd do better with a ship for the settlers than a few rafts. It would be more sturdy and easier to defend and honestly if something drives us out of Haven I don't think waiting it out on rafts would be an option. It's a good sentiment though, preparing for when your preparations fail- but again, I think we'd need a ship more... or a personal flutterbus." By now it seemed like the majority of the branches had been trimmed so Balthazar began collecting them. "Let's take these back and get some settlers to help move the tree?"

word count: 691

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Arc 721, 17 Ashan

Elisabeth considered what Balthazar said about the size of the tree, nodding a bit as he noted the size. “It was a good practice tree. It put up a good fight.” Smiling a bit, she listened to his comments about the Badlands. He wanted to be prepared, which was a philosophy she agreed with, but she had some nagging concerns. In the settlement, there were five adequately trained people to defend against whatever might come out of the Badlands. The guards had some skills, and then came the settlers. His nightly training sessions had significantly upped their chances at repealing an attack, but she worried about the consequences.

Yet, she said nothing. The answers to her questions were vague and as such, that usually didn’t inspire further conversation from her. Balthazar was focusing on what he was doing so she would too.

Concentrating on the branch trimming, she let her mind wander, almost as if in a meditative state. Repetitive work, she had found in the past, was good for that as she didn’t have to concentrate so much on what she was doing. She had experimented with meditation in blade training, and unarmed, so what was the harm in a little experimentation when dealing with a pesky tree and ax?

Breathing out a bit, she gently brought air back into her system, letting her eyes focus on the tree, but letting her mind flit to where it wanted to. It floated and roamed until it found its way to the Garden, under the pink tree. That spot was one of her favorite places to meditate and her mind apparently wanted to go there, channeling the calm and peace she felt in that location.

She had mentioned rafts, thinking it be something of a logical idea…. but apparently, it wasn’t. Nor her ideas regarding possible future expansion reaching beyond possible fortifications.

Elisabeth heard him out, understanding that he would have ideas different than hers by virtue of who they were and their experiences. The settlement was his to lead. She held no official position and was simply his companion. It was a hard position to be in really, but in it she was. She advised the best she could, but the decisions were made by others.

Adopting a calm tone, she explained her position.

“I didn’t mean wide expansion, Balthazar. I just meant further than it is currently. There is still a wide buffer on at least two sides of Haven. I just wanted that kept in mind when thinking about fortifications. That’s all.”

She listened to his thoughts of rafts versus a ship, nodding as he explained his take. Elisabeth had already started picking up the branches so when he suggested they do so and get back to the settlement, she was in agreement.

word count: 474
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Balthazar:

Knowledge: -
Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: See below.

Elisabeth:

Knowledge: -
Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: See below.

- - -
Comments: II thought that cutting down smaller trees before they take care of the big ones was a good idea. Cutting down trees, especially big ones, can be dangerous. I was also amused when Elisabeth asked Balthazar if he had ever cut down a tree, and he mentioned his experience in Quacia.

I suppose that Tree Walkers are kind of tree-like!

Unfortunately, there were a few issues with this thread. Cutting down a tree is not that easy, and you don’t just carve two lines into it and start to hit it with an axe. A twenty-foot tree is still three times as big as a grown man, and if you go about cutting it down the wrong way, you can get hurt.

Balthazar has Novice Woodworking, Axe and Field Craft. Elisabeth has 0 points in all three skills that might play a part. Considering this, I would have suggested supervision, especially if it’s their first time cutting down a tree. Elisabeth, I have the impression that you assume knowledge of how to take down a tree.

I’m not sure if you can cut branches into acceptable training weapons, to be honest, as they probably aren’t straight, but as you only talked about it and didn’t make any training weapons out of the branches, this is not an issue.

You definitely shouldn’t try to cut down a two-hundred-foot tree with Novice Woodworking and Axe and settlers that are Flavor NPCs for the most part though (Balthazar talked about it on the second page of this thread). This either wouldn’t work, or it wouldn’t end well!

Anyway, there was noticeable overplay in this thread.

Balthazar, you will be given 0 XP and 0 Knowledges for this thread. Elisabeth, you will be given the usual number of XP, but you won’t be given any Knowledges either.

Furthermore, this thread will be considered non-canon.

Balthazar, you have already been given several interventions, and you have been told not to overplay your skills a couple of times. Furthermore, you were recently given a warning. Please pay more attention to your skill play from now on and consider whether something is realistic.

I discussed this threads with mods and peer reviewers.

If you want to appeal this decision, please send a PM to Lore Analysis Lead Squirrel.
word count: 425

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”