• Solo • Tentative Steps Part 2

1st of Cylus 721

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Seira Shiryu
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Bard
Renown: 269
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tentative Steps Part 2

1st Cylus, 721

Continued from here

Seira felt a rush of excitement run through her when she looked at the books she had been given to read through. Excitement at the prospect of studying might seem like an odd thing to some, but Seira knew that she was going to enjoy learning about new herbs and the remedies they could be used in. She knew that Seri felt the same way that she did since it was an interest that they both shared. More importantly, one of the herbs they learned about might be one they could use to help the Lightning Knights in some way.

The two girls each chose a book and began to read.

Stinging nettles seem like an unlikely plant to be useful in herbal remedies at first glance. Its leaves have hair like structures that sting and also produce itching, redness and swelling.

Seira's eyes widened as she carefully copied down what she had just written down word for word. Then she underlined it for emphasis. And for good measure, she tried to commit the information to memory immediately. This...this was exactly the kind of information she was hoping to find when she began researching herbs!

"Seri, take a look at this." she said excitedly as she passed her book over to her twin.

She watched as Seri read the information about stinging nettles. And when her twin's eyes widened as her own had, she grinned.

"Will they have the same effect if the stinging nettles are dried, do you think? Or do they need to be fresh?"

"I don't know. But it's something we'll need to find out.

Seri nodded as she handed the book back to Seira.

"It might not even matter. If we can figure out a way to put stinging nettle leaves in a container that will burst upon contact if thrown, then an enemy would have to try and fight with a face full of stinging nettles if a Knight was able to aim correctly."

Seira nodded happily.

"Dried herbs would be lighter than fresh ones, I think. So that might add a bit of weight to the herb weapon. But it isn't as though leaves are heavy..."

"It's definitely something to look into." Seri agreed.

Seira wrote the name of the book she was reading down along with the author. This book might be one that was worth saving up the money for...especially if it had more useful information. When she was finished, she went back to her reading.

As a tea, stinging nettle will help cure mucus congestion, skin irritations, water retention, and diarrhea. It can also help nursing mothers produce milk.

Seira took the time to take notes on what she was reading before she continued reading.

This herb is good for aiding digestion because it stimulates the digestive glands of the stomach, intestines, liver, pancreas, and gall bladder. It can also ease pain from arthritis and lower back pain. The leaves can cause a temporary burning sensation upon contact. Normally this is a bad thing, but rubbing the leaves on your skin can help you stay warm in a pinch.

Once again, Seira paused to take notes on what she was reading. It took her a long time because she wanted to put extra effort into her notes and make them as clear as she possibly could. She was interested in learning about any herb. But this one was especially important because it might be useful to her in her quest to help the Lightning Knights. She wanted...no...needed to make certain that she could reread her notes easily when she went back to them later.

When applied externally, it can relieve rheumatism in both people and animals. It makes a good gargle for mouth and throat infections. And it helps to clear up acne and eczema and promotes the healing of burns if used as a salve. Nettle juice will even ease the stinging of the rash brought about by contact with the plant's own bristled leaves. And if you simmer a handful of young nettles for two breaks in a quart of water, then strain, and bottle the liquid, you'll have a potion that will make hair soft and glossy when used regularly as a scalp conditioner.

Seira was far less interested in the fact that stinging nettles could be used to make a scalp conditioner that would give you glossy hair than she was in its medical uses. And even those were less interesting than the possibility of using them as a weapon for the Lightning Knights. But she carefully copied it down all the same.

Stinging nettles are edible. Young stinging nettle leaves can be eaten as a cooked vegetable. Nettles have a rich, earthy, spinach like flavor with a slight tang.

Seira carefully copied this down as well. She loved spinach, so she thought that she might like the taste of stinging nettle leaves too judging by what she had just read.

word count: 843
Seira Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Tentative Steps Part 2

"Are you finished with that book?"

Seira hesitated before answering. She wasn't really finished with it. But she also knew that Seri was as excited to learn about stinging nettles as she had been. So she nodded reluctantly.

"I can be. Why don't we trade books?" she suggested.

Seri was quick to agree. Seira flipped through the pages of the new book until something caught her eye,

Fresh ginger root can be grated or chopped very finely, and made into a tea that is very good to help with sore throats. Ginger tea has a warming quality, so it is good to give someone who is suffering from the effects of the cold. It is also a good expectorant. This means that it allows people to cough up mucus more easily. This herb can be used to fight inflammation and pain when in powdered form. Ginger is very good for both nausea and vomiting.

Seira was confused by some of what she had just read, but she took careful notes on the information all the same. Ginger was a bit spicy for her tastes, but if it could be used to treat as many things as this book suggested, she thought that she might want to learn to like the flavor if she could. Perhaps if it could be sweetened with something, it wouldn't taste as spicy?

Powdered ginger doesn't need to be fresh to be made into a tea, so it is easier to keep on hand than ginger root is. Ginger is safe to be used to treat children. Unfortunately, since it is so spicy, it has to be diluted for children. It can, however be flavored with lemon or honey to improve the flavor.

And...that answered that question. Seira thought as she paused to take notes once more.

"Did you read about ginger when you were reading this book, Seri?"

"No, why?"

"According to this, it's good for sore throats. It also has a warming quality, so it is good to give someone who is suffering from the effects of the cold. And it helps people to cough better. I was kind of confused about that part. But it sounds like it's a good herb to have around this time of arc. You can also use it to treat children."

"Did you make a special note of that? From what we've learned so far, not every herb can be used on children, so we're going to have to know which ones can be and which ones shouldn't be used on them."

Seira nodded.

"Of course I did." she told her sister with a grin.

word count: 447
Seira Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Seira started to go back to her reading, but she stopped when a stabbing pain erupted in her head. It was intense, and it seemed to pulse in time with her heart. She closed her eyes and held her head in her hands, trying not to whimper.

"Seira?" Seri asked in concern.

"My head hurts." Seira said softly in the hopes that Seri would speak more quietly.

Seri stood, and walked over to her twin, wrapping one arm around her shoulders in an attempt at comforting her. The pain slowly changed, turning from the sensation of being stabbed to an almost unbearably powerful pressure that made her feel as if her head was going to explode. When she opened her eyes, the words blurred on the page, and she groaned softly. She closed her eyes again.

"I'm going to go get help."

Seira caught her sister's arm.

"No...don't."

"But..."

"It's just a headache. And my eyes blurred when the pain hit."

She cautiously opened her eyes again. The words were as they should be.

"The blurriness is gone now."

"I still think we should ask one of the healers to help you."

Seira shook her head, and promptly regretted it.

"Please don't. It's just a headache. We've been reading for a long time now, so that might be what's causing it. And I tossed and turned for a long time before falling asleep last night, so I might just be more tired than I thought."

"Are you sure?" Seri asked, careful to keep her voice quiet.

"Yes. People get headaches. I'll be fine."

"Fine. But we're going home right now, and you're going to take a nap. If you're not feeling better before mom gets home, I'm telling her that you're sick."

Seira thought that going that far was excessive, but a nap did sound appealing just now, so she quickly agreed. The two girls gathered up their notes, and put the books they had been reading into a neat pile. When they were finished cleaning up after themselves, they headed home.

word count: 357
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Your Review
Seira

Overview

I reviewed the first thread of this pair, and was happy to pick up this one too. You write the relationship between the twins well, they're obviously very close. It is sometimes difficult to tell them apart, but in this thread it was much more clear for me, so thank you for that.

I'm unsure of how you're playing the bonding because the Nekosani, surely, would know and feel it? As Seira gets headaches and so on, I'm not clear how they just wouldn't know that the cats are Nekosani and so work out that this is what's happening? If you're suggesting that they don't know the cats are Nekosani - if the cat is feeling the beginning of the bond, why not show itself by growing? I'm just not clear from this why a) they don't realise what's happening and b)why the Nekosani isn't being more proactive in seeking out it's bond-mate? I think maybe you might want to consider the viewpoint of the NPC animal here, and how it would react.

Anyhow- that is outside of the remit of this thread, I just thought it was worth to comment on. This was, fundamentally, an easy-read skill / information grind thread which had a nice bit of twin-relationship in it and that gave it a bit of personality. Enjoy your rewards!

XP: 10
Renown: None

Loot

None.

Knowledge

Cooking; Ingredient: young stinging nettle leaves are eaten as a cooked vegetable
Cosmetology: if you simmer a handful of young stinging nettles for two breaks in a quart of water, then strain, and bottle the liquid, you'll have a potion that will make hair soft and glossy when used regularly as a scalp conditioner.
Field Craft: stinging nettle leaves have hair like structures that sting and also produce itching, redness and swelling
Medicine; Herb: uses for Ginger
Medicine; Herb: ginger can be used to treat children, but since it is so spicy it must be diluted for them; it can be flavored with lemon or honey to achieve this and to improve the flavor
Medicine; Herb: uses for Stinging Nettle

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this review - drop me a PM.
word count: 383
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Rharne”