[Haven] The Cuckoo's Nest, No Flying

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Haven] The Cuckoo's Nest, No Flying

25 Ashan 721

Balthazar sat in his tent with one of Smooglenuff's guides to Faldrass in his hands, looking over the pages in an absent way while he thought about the settlement. He was scheduled for another session totrial and waiting for the therapist to arrive. He'd decided, for many different reasons but mostly for Elisabeth, to cooperate. He wasn't alone anymore. He didn't endure poor choices on his own. She suffered too, even though she tried to hide it. So with this, the therapy, he would cooperate. After all, as Fuego had once pointed out to him, if he really thought there was nothing wrong with him then what would be the harm of talking about the things that had happened? There was plenty of harm. With every event he discussed, with every secret thought he revealed, Kura would hear it. He was not just talking to a therapist, he was being watched by Rand and Kura. Elliot was not late but Balthazar wished they'd scheduled it earlier so he could be done with it and get back to work.

He closed the book and set it down on his desk, then rose from his chair and moved across his tent to the opened flap. He peered outside into the trial light and looked around at the beach for any sign of new arrivals but no one was there yet. Instead he saw the coming ship just a little bit off in the distance, bringing his therapist to Haven for another session. Who is that? Fuego asked from Balthazar's shoulder, the ever invisible diri looking out at the ship with wide, orange eyes. One stubby arm kept him steady on the shoulder while he lowered himself into a seated position and Balthazar turned his head slightly for a trill before focusing on the ship on the horizon.

It's the Order's man. Balthazar responded through their telepathic link before heading down to the shore to greet Elliot when he arrived.
word count: 338

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Fate
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Immortal
Renown: 0
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Staff

Events

Re: [Haven] The Cuckoo's Nest, No Flying

Elliot had unfortunately been called back for an emergency, but was now once again back on Faldrass. This time though he had come prepared to stay and also to help with the rebuilding of the town, but in more ways then evaluating Balthazar. The most important thing was that he had brought his wife and his own supplies including a tent. His last trip though brief and focused on his evaluation of the Elemental who appeared to have irritated his superiors, had opened his eyes that maybe he could be of some help encouraging the people here and also helping them deal with the trauma of rebuilding their lives. This wasn’t to say he was permanently moving to the island but he would make sure to be available for these people as well.

Elliot approached the location of his appointment with Balthazar, and gave a mental review of the patient. He was an Elemental, apparently like to wander, which was part of the problem. He was a mage, and had sparks in Defiance, Attunement, Rupturing, Transmutation. He also was marked by Vri, and the Induk Faldrass. Being marked by the Immortal of Death, Sadness, Remembrance and Love. He toyed with that for a moment. He had sense and helped people with Vri’s mark before and other Immortals, it was the Induk’s mark, well not really a mark but not to far different. Elliot realized that he would need to know more about Faldrass and what his goals where to understand his choice.

To the therapist these were really just raw facts, and could only be used once the whole context was understood. He sighed as he remembered their first meeting. The young man was clearly angry though not given to temper tantrums but more to smoldering grudges. Elliot couldn’t actually blame the young man. No one like being studied. Elliot this time had left his note book behind as it clearly caused problems for the young man, but Elliot still wasn’t sure what exactly what concerns.

The older man seriously hoped that he would be able to truly help Balthazar, the problem ultimately lay not in his lap. He would make his observations, and he would give his honest suggestions, but he couldn’t make the young man change. He could encourage and he could work to show his concern, but at the end of the day a person could only change themselves based on his recommendations.

Thus was the burden of the therapist.

Elliot was stopped at the entrance to Balthazar’s residence. He nodded and smiled at the "relaxing" guard watching the door. He got a nod back and Elliot knocked on the door waiting for and answer. Once he was allowed in the therapist would enter and smiled at Balthazar and the Elemental that was in the room with the young man. "It is good to see you again Balthazar. You as well." He said indicating to the guard. "Can we please have a bit of privacy." He said his voice nice, but his meaning clear. The details of what was said weren't for common gossip. The guard nodded his head and quietly left the room but Elliot could hear him settling in just outside the door.

Elliot looked at Balthazar and waited for him to offer his a seat before he took it. If none was offered Elliot was comfortable just standing there as well. Elliot then began to there most current session. "It is good to see you again." He did give his a greeting smile then. "Often people feel uncomfortable that I am the only one asking the questions, so please understand that I am open to your questions. I explained last time a bit about my credentials, but please let me know if you would like to now anything more or details." He would wait to see if there were any questions forth coming. Once he had answered the questions he would continue. "One this particular trial I would like you to tell me about yourself. Your likes and your dislikes, what you enjoy doing, or would rather not. I would like to understand who your see your self as?"

word count: 703
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

25 Ashan 721

Why didn't you go out to see him? Fuego asked Balthazar when Elliot arrived outside the tent Balthazar was staying in. The diri only asked because Balthazar normally would have gone down to the beach to greet any one coming into Haven if he knew they were arriving.

I was cleaning. Balthazar replied through their link.

You moved one chair. Fuego replied with confusion prompting Balthazar to mentally shush the little flaming rock only he could see. He had indeed moved a chair from one side of his desk to the other but seemed to be unsure of his decision so he moved it back and as he moved it back, Elliot arrived. The therapist knocked as well as one could on the opening of the tent and Balthazar came over to pull it back and allow the man inside. He had plans brewing in the back of his mind about the sort of house he wanted to build for himself and Elisabeth but he'd been waiting until all his people were housed before working on his own home. Now they were and he was waiting on supplies from the sale of his house in Scalvoris Town to complete the project. He was hoping to have a house up for himself and Elisabeth by the next time Elliot came for a session but that was because he did not know of Elliot's intentions to remain in Haven.

The next session could be tomorrow and he certainly wouldn't have it up by then. When Elliot requested the guard give them privacy Balthazar smirked a little, fully expecting the guard to refuse the request because they'd never granted him privacy for anything before. However the smirk shifted into a little surprise when the trooper agreed and moved just outside the tent flap. A tent wasn't the most secure and sound proof place for their conversation if secrecy was what they were after, but it certainly felt better without the guard in the room. Balthazar gestured to the chair behind his desk for Elliot to sit in while Balthazar moved over to the cot in his tent and sat, cross legged, on it.

"All things considered, it is good to see you as well." Balthazar said, unwilling to pretend he was entirely content with the forced therapy but willing to at least admit Elliot was pleasant enough. Elliot opened the conversation to questions that Balthazar had and the former mage scratched the back of his head for a moment while he thought. He certainly didn't have any questions yet. If he meant to make use of Elliot, he would never be able to do so while he washing treated by Elliot. "I'm not worried about your credentials, if the Albarech didn't think you could do the job she would have chosen someone else." Balthazar decided, forgoing the option to have a conversation about Elliot. There would always be time to find out more about the therapist later, especially if he was to stay with them.

Then the session really began, or at least it began from Balthazar's point of view. He considered the idle chat and willingness to answer questions a formality because he was not a therapist. What did he like and dislike? What did he enjoy doing and how did he see himself? Broad questions. Very broad questions. Balthazar immediately considered lying before he remembered Elliot's marks and his brow furrowed a little. What if he said something he thought he liked and Elliot received it as a lie? Hm... Balthazar shifted a little on the cot and scratched the back of his head. "I think I might need you to be more specific." Balthazar started, "I like and dislike a lot of things and the list is always changing- especially since the trial took away my magic. I like solving puzzles, Elisabeth, helping people, building things. I like doing things more than... I don't know, sitting around and theorizing about them?" Balthazar rattled off a few of the first things he could think of and kept going, "I've enjoyed building a settlement though I also enjoyed traveling- seeing the world and meeting people with various useful skillsets." He took a breath and shifted to the second part of the question.

"I don't like..." He paused and for some reason found that portion of the question harder to answer. What didn't he like? He was angry about a lot of things but did that mean he had a deep dislike of them? Situational dislike and long term were hard to differentiate in the moment. He thought more vaguely. What was it about what was happening that he loathed so much? "Hypocrites. Which is ironic because I've been hypocritical at times but hypocrites all the same. Liars, again despite the fact I understand the need and use for lies. There is a difference between someone using a cover and someone who seemed to breath falsehoods." What else could he think of that he disliked? Blood sacrifice? He assumed that was a given so he did not mention it. "I'd rather spend my trial working on something productive or useful than sitting around talking about problems I'll never solve." As for the last bit, who did he see himself as?

"I'm not sure that even I understand who I am. I think I know and then things like this," He gestured towards his paradigm cuffs, "happen and suddenly my perception shifts. I've done things since the trial I never would have done or thought to do before it. Most good but not all."
word count: 953

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Fate
City Moderator
City Moderator
Templates

Contribution

Staff

Events

The psychiatrist listened as Balthazar waved away his credentials and inquiring more into them. Elliot’s found the young man’s response interesting and frankly a fascinating contradiction. He made a mental note about that as he paused because another issue was raised. Elliot leaned back in his chair and cleared his throat. His kindly but old gaze looked at the young man as he spoke. “There is a part of my credentials that apparently does need to be cleared up. The Albarech didn’t choose personally me” he said precisely, “I am a member of the Order of the Adunih. An international medical organization that helps people but doesn’t directly answers to any government.The Albarech approached the head of the Scalvoris branch and she asked me to volunteer.” He leaned forward then. “I am here to help you because I desire to help. I am not an employee of the Albarech or the council. I will do my best to help everyone involved but I don’t have a Bose, other then my own soul, to answer to. I will provide a report as requested but it will be based on my own experience and thoughts not an agenda.” Elliot looked intently at Balthazar making sure he understood the very important distinction. He waited to see if there was any questions.

Elliot listened at Balthazar answered his questions. The man was aware they were broad but the medic came in wanting to understand the man. A psychiatrist was different from a military officer. The military liked to and in many cases needed to departmentalized people. This man had learned that people were a rich tapestry with different parts making a unique picture. Aspects could be similar but then final picture was unique.

Elliot made was interested in Balthazar’s statement that what he liked and disliked kept changing. He then asked “Can you explain a bit more about what you mean say a lot changed when trial took away your magic?” Elliot asked curious. “Are you saying since the trial you suddenly find the types of fruit you like has changed or do you mean something more like you find your self enjoying helping others more?” The man asked his question a bit more defined to help clarify the answer.

The man had made another mental note about Balthazar’s list. There was a a person in there but he was seeing a theme between the likes and dislikes. Elliot shifted a bit and tilted his head is face curious ask he asked the next question. “Can you tell about some of your experiences with helping people?”

He listened and paused to see if Balthazar had any questions for him. Eventually Elliot but his elbow on the arm of the chair and rested his chin in his palm as he listened his gaze interested and curious but lacking judgement. His next question was rather simple and he said. “You quickly stated you don’t like hypocrites. Can you please define to me what you consider a hypocrite.”

word count: 510
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

25 Ashan 721

Balthazar's head tilted slightly and his brow furrowed a fraction when Elliot took the moment to clarify that the Albarech had not chosen him. He didn't understand why the difference mattered to Elliot until the therapist claimed he was there because he wanted to help Balthazar. His reports would be based on his own experience and thoughts, not an agenda. Balthazar said nothing about it, simply nodding when Elliot was done to indicate he understood and had not questions. It would take more than his assurance for Balthazar to trust there was no agenda at work, but the former mage would still try to keep an open mind.

Elliot asked Balthazar to elaborate on what he had said about his interests changing and Balthazar seemed a little confused before Elliot explained his question further. Balthazar gave it a little thought. His eyes drifted away for a trill before shifting back to the Order's man. "Honestly it is a little bit of both. There were certainly sensory changes but they weren't the only ones I felt." Balthazar paused as he considered the best way to explain losing a sixth sense to someone who never had it. "The physical changes were disorienting. My sense of distance and motion felt like it had been inverted but the time in the cell helped me orient myself. I don't get cold, I'm one of the Fire Forged, but I'm not as warm as I was. My eyesight was inverted again, I don't-" He looked around but it seemed like he didn't find what he was looking for. "There were a lot of physical changes but I was referring to the other kind." Balthazar looked back at Elliot and paused again to think. It took a moment, but he continued,

"I enjoyed helping others more when I had magic and knew I was helping them to the best of my ability, but I still like helping. It hasn't changed that, it's just that I don't feel compelled to help." He said, "I think Rupturing is the easiest example because I can remember how it felt the most. Without the spark, I enjoy and I miss being able to travel but it's fine, I can live on the island. With it, I wouldn't be able to stay here as long as I have. It's more than just missing travel, there's a constant pull to move. I wouldn't abandon the settlement but I would haven't sent letters to people I needed help from, I'd have gone to visit them." He paused to see if Elliot understood him, then continued again, "To an extent it is the same with everything else. Attunement made me curious, probably more curious than is healthy. I wanted to attune to everything but more than that I wanted to know everything. Now, I'm fine just working with what I have. Transmutation was new, but it was similar to Attunement."

"Losing Defiance probably changed the most. It is not a magic that I think many people understand. We call on and use the elements but they are our allies- friends even... to an extent. Idalos feels different in almost every way now that I can't hear them." Balthazar took a breath, hoping he'd explained enough for Elliot before the eventual next question came. Could he tell Elliot more about his experiences helping people? Balthazar's brow furrowed again. He didn't know what qualified as helping people anymore because everyone he'd spent the last arc helping seemed to think he was a menace. Well, not everyone. Probably not. He didn't really know how to answer the question. Where did he start? What actually helped? He supposed that there was no point in mentioning Haven. The trial happened prior to the majority of his time with the settlers.

"I've helped people in a range of ways, some were peaceful... others less so. I fought a lot of things in my time abroad because I thought it would help people who could not. I was a private investigator before I was a Flame Trooper. I've always been interesting in solving problems other people can't or won't or just don't get around to. People's problems are like puzzles and when you solve them, people tend to feel better... sometimes. Other times you find the answer and it isn't a good one." He didn't know how else to answer that. He needed a more specific question because he'd done so many things and didn't know if Elliot had something in mind. When Elliot asked him to define a hypocrite, Balthazar answered more easily than the other times.

"Someone who judges another harshly for something that they would have done in the same situation. Those who pretend to stand on a moral high ground while acting no better than those they judge." That might have been two definitions but Balthazar thought it covered what he was referring to. "Maybe the latter isn't hypocrites so much as arrogant people but I don't like them either. What would you have defined it as?"

word count: 880

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Fate
City Moderator
City Moderator
Templates

Contribution

Staff

Events

Elliot sat watching and listening as Balthazar answered his questions about changes caused by the cuffs. His eyes were interested in what was being said they were also clear and while curious weren’t judgy or suspicious. There were physical changes, which the psychologist was aware that as one grew in magic one physical changed to it, though he was also aware that it was unique to each person. He made a mental note of all of the changes that had occurred. Balthazar mentioned a few changes put was hesitant to go into details. Which Elliot wasn’t surprised about.

The physical was expected the less obvious though were interesting. Elliot actually found his explanation of his connection to rupturing both clear, which he expressed as he nodded his head in understand, and informative not just about Balthazar but also Rupturer’s in general. That particular branch of magic users was harder to have a full understanding of because the mages didn’t hold still long. He focused on the next couple explanation of other attunement transmutation and defiance.

He paused and asked. “You mentioned that Attunement made you curious.” Elliot said and paused to think of how to ask the question clearest. “But that you are now fine with working with what you have. Are you saying that you suddenly don’t find yourself curious about things, or is it more like you are curious but with out Attunement you aren’t acting on that curiosity because your old way isn’t available to you?” He paused and though for a moment, “Or did you mean something else completely?”

After listening he asked about Defiance, “I know magic is subtle unique to each mage even if they two both have the same magic field. I would be interested how in regards to how the world has change in this regards.” He tilted his head. “Is it something similar to like when my last child moved out of the house and my house went from being full of activity to being quiet and I had to go looking for someone to talk to. Or was different. Your bond with the elements seems to be an important part of you.”

One of Elliot’s eyebrows shot up when Balthazar mentioned that he was a private detective before he joined the Flame Troppers. It returned to normal in a moment and he nodded but continued to listen at the explanation. “Do you like doing game puzzles as well. Like either the put the picture together kind or two pieces of mental you need to separate and then but back together kind.” It might seem random but people tended lump a lot of things into the puzzle category. “Do you find it satisfying to help people who need help, but just because they need an extra hand to complete the task?”

Elliot nodded his head in agreement at Balthazar’s explanation of a hypocrite. “I would say that your second statement is an excellent way of saying it, and don’t feel that I could say it better.” He thought for the moment. “I find the word hypocrisy is sometimes thrown around out of context as a way of justifying a person’s own dislike of an action someone else is taking.” He smiled and shrugged, “I often hear people use it in reference to when someone, like a parent, recommends not to take a course of action, and citing their own experience as proof for why not to. So it why I like to understand how others see the definition of the word.” He then paused and continued. “Do you feel that your leaders in the Elements are hypocrites, and or judgmental?”

word count: 620
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

25 Ashan 721

One of the less expected discoveries of the therapy session that Balthazar was slowly beginning to realize as he explained the changes brought on by magic, was that he realized he really did enjoy talking about it. He enjoyed reflecting on it and explaining it to someone who didn't understand... so why didn't he feel the same joy when he talked about magic with Elisabeth? Every part of a person was too complex for a single cause to explain, but progress was progress no matter how slow. Elliot's question about how Attunement prompted curiosity in the former mage caused Balthazar's brow to furrow for just a moment. A moment ago the answer had been clear to him but when pressed, it became harder to quantify. After a trill, he did his best to try, "I think it is the latter. The ability to attune allows you to perceive the world in a very different way and having that ability- likely also because of the spark, made me want to seek out and discover as many unique notes and frequencies as I could. Now that it's gone, it's a little different. I know the frequencies are there but I can't hear them anymore. I want to know, but I am content with knowing what I perceive with my natural senses. With the spark, I wouldn't be."

Balthazar considered providing and example but he didn't because he thought he'd done enough to answer the question and he wasn't sure that spinning off into an anecdote felt right... then Elliot asked about Defiance and Balthazar quickly realized he would have no choice. His connection to that spark and the elements mattered more to him than most material things and it had been one of the hardest to lose. Balthazar noticed that Elliot spoke of his child moving out and how it had impacted him but he wasn't sure if that was a hypothetical or genuine information so he didn't ask about it. "I've never had a child so I wouldn't know if it is the same... but maybe. It isn't as if I've lost them. I know the elements are still alive around me but I can't communicate with them anymore. I look at fire and feel nothing where I used to feel..." His voice trailed off. He felt a lot of different things when he looked towards the fire, "a connection? It's easy to explain physically- the ground is harder beneath my feet, water pays me no mind, fire burns, and wind is as fleeting as it is for anyone. On a deeper level," it was hard to describe and he was not used to describing how things felt in this extent, "it's hard to simplify. It was never as if I was having a direct conversation with the elements like you and I are having now, it was more like we were sharing emotions and wills and... that was how it worked. It's strange to walk around and not know what the elements feel." He said, his brow crinkling further as he thought. He seemed to consider saying something more but decided not to.

Elliot asked about puzzles and Balthazar grinned slightly as a very old memory cross his mind. He had impressed the man who would initiate him into Defiance by smashing a puzzle box rather than trying to solve it. He shook his head gently and waited until Elliot was done elaborating on his question to answer. "Not really, puzzle toys and games aren't the same as solving problem... to me at least. I have to admit, I haven't done many picture puzzles or things of that sort so I might enjoy them more than I think." Balthazar said, "I like solving problems matter to me, whether that be by lending a hand to help complete a project or pursuing an investigation into a crime. I tried to find a job that would let me do that."

Balthazar did seem to relax a little when Elliot agreed with his definition of hypocrisy but as Elliot explained why he'd asked, Balthazar began to get a sense of where he was going. The question about Balthazar's opinion on the leadership of the Elements wasn't hard to predict but when it came the former mage seemed to pause all the same. He took a deep breath and looked up down at the ground beneath them while he thought about how to word what he wanted to say. Elliot's small anecdote about the child and the parent made Balthazar think of his trial but he couldn't think for long before the silence would become odd to him so he answered the question. "Judgmental," he said first. "I certainly think that they are judgmental. I'm sure I've said they're hypocrites too- I say a lot of things but," he shrugged and took a breath, "I'm bitter about a lot of things too and I still need time to sort it out." He sighed slightly, "So yes- judgmental. Hypocrites though, that's still to be determined."
word count: 876

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”