• Solo • Lunch for the Builders

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Lunch for the Builders

Cylus 29, Arc 721

On the morning of 29th of Cylus, Devin Thorn, medical genius in progress, masterful bard and unexpected Baron (He’d just wanted Alyssia to have the Barony!) was walking around in his kitchen, quite anxiously, taking to himself and occasionally throwing his hands in the air, “What do Cadouri even eat? I think one of them is a hamster. Or a mouse. I can’t really tell rodents apart. Would he be very offended if I gave him meat? Do rodent Cadouri eat meat? Would it make him sick if I served him meat? I don’t want to poison the man who will help me build the manor!”

Realizing that he had reached the wall now and there was no way forward, he briefly stopped talking to himself, turned around and started to walk in the direction of the door instead. It was just as he wondered if he should move down the hallway and continue to have a conversation with himself there or actually start being productive, cook something and hope for the best that his two roommates, Talieson and Aidan walked down the stairs.

“What on Idalos is going on here, Devin?” Talieson, a dark-haired man in his thirties and a bard, just like the Mortalborn, wanted to know and yawned. There were dark circles under his eyes. He had been working late the trial before and was a little bit grumpy as a consequence. “I heard you even though the door of my room was closed! You woke me up!”

“I was already up and reading something”,
Aidan interjected and shrugged his shoulders.

“The builders that will visit around noon! Saoire’s builders!” Devin explained. “I still don’t know what I’m supposed to cook for them! Saoire’s the Immortal of Gifts, so I thought I would give them a gift – an edible gift. I thought about just buying something at a restaurant, but that’s cheating! Normally, I don’t mind cheating, but I won’t cheat this time”, he remarked. Normally, he had no problem when it came to lying and deceiving, but you didn’t deceive your second favourite Immortal and those that worked for her.

It was just not done!

“I’ve already thought about what I want to talk to them, by the way”, he pointed out, in case they suggested that he focus on the Barony rather than the meal he would serve his guests when they talked about the Barony. “I have even made a list of rooms that I want to have, and materials that I want them to use for my private quarters!”

“Just cook two meals?”
Aidan suggested while Talieson just grumbled, made himself some coffee and left again because it was still too early to have a discussion in his opinion.

“That’s an excellent idea”, Devin replied and beamed at him. “And I already know what I’ll make for them. I still have brussel sprouts. And rodents like nuts. So, I’ll just make brussel sprouts with nuts and such – I think I saw a recipe in one of my cookbooks the other trial. And breaded chicken. Breaded chicken always works. Nobody can resist a good breaded chicken”, he decided. “I’ll use glowing eggs for the breading though because Saoire’s Cadouri deserve something special - and shiny!” he decided and smiled even more than he had smiled before.

It would be great!

Last edited by Devin on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 577

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Lunch for the Builders

“Aidan, could you run to the bakery later on and get a loaf of white bread as well as a chocolate cake?” Devin asked approximately ten bits later while he was cracking a couple of glowing chicken eggs and emptying their contents onto a porcelain plate in front of him. “I’d like to give our guests a choice between rice and bread, and they’ll probably want a desert as well. Do Cadouri drink alcohol, by the way?” he wanted to know a moment later. That was another thing that he had failed to consider so far!

“I suppose I’ll have to cheat a little after all”, he realized and made a face. “But I don’t have enough time to bake a cake on top of everything else, not if I want to revise my manor list”, he explained. The manor list was the page in his notebook where he had noted down which rooms he wanted the manor to have and which building materials he would prefer. He had never realized that planning and logistics and such were so hard!

Maybe he should have made a lunch list as well. That would really have helped when it came to planning the meal he was going to serve!

“You can buy some pastries for yourself. With my money”, he tempted the slightly older man.

Normally, he wasn’t so generous, but he really wanted to make a good impression. He had screwed up during the Faldrass eruption. He definitely didn’t want to fail as Baron though!

“Sure”, Aidan replied and smirked. He would have headed to the bakery anyway – he had the morning off, and the bakery was only a few blocks away – but he didn’t tell Devin that. He would never say no to free pastries. Just like the Mortalborn, the student loved pastries!

Last edited by Devin on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 310

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A glowing chicken egg in one of his hands, Devin suddenly realized that he should probably cook the rice before he made the breaded chicken as the former took longer, so he quickly poured water and rice into a pot, added a bit of salt and put it on the stove where he let it simmer. Well, the plan was to let it simmer, but somehow, he didn’t quite manage to achieve a steady simmer. The water was too hot, and it cooked off a bit too fast. He solved that by adding more water though, and then he turned back to his breaded chicken in progress.

Soon, he had filled three plates – one with the contents of his eggs that glowed quite prettily, one with breadcrumbs and one with a mixture of flour, ground pepper and salt. Once he had covered the chicken breasts (normal chicken breasts, because there hadn’t been any glowing ones for sale), he put them into a pan in which he had already heated a bit of oil – and proceeded to take another look at his rice that was too watery now!

After he had tasted a bit of rice (He had of course blown at it beforehand in order not to burn his tongue!) and decided that it was nice and soft now, he opened his kitchen cupboard and removed a colander from it. That was probably not … actually it definitely wasn’t the proper way to prepare rice as he found out when he checked one of his cookbooks belatedly – but it worked. In order to keep the rice from cooling down too quickly, he put a lid on the pot he had filled it into.

Having done that, he opened the cookbook with his brussel sprouts recipe, checked the recipe in question and finally filled another pan with oil and placed the brussel sprouts into it. He let them cook for approximately five bits, stirring occasionally so that the bottoms would be nice and brown, but not get burnt, before he added cranberries, water, walnuts and balsamic vinegar, stirred some more and finally decided to give it a taste.

It was …

… it was actually good!

Well, almost, he decided a moment later. The vinegar had added a bit of flavor, but he had forgotten to put salt on the brussel sprouts. He always forgot salt. So, he added a pinch of salt, gave the contents of the pan another stir, and finally fried his breaded chicken. Most of the piece of breaded chicken actually turned out nice, but when he removed them from the pan again, the breading of one of them came off … well, partially. Since it was a good idea to always make sure that your meal was actually edible before you served it, he just decided to eat that piece of breaded chicken himself. Besides, he was getting hungry, and really didn’t want to wait!

He had just put a nice tablecloth on the table in the living room and retrieved his best plates and his best silverware, when Aidan returned from the bakery, carrying two paper bags full of delicious baked goods. While his roommate enjoyed his free pastries, Devin made sure that the meal he had cooked would stay nice and warm, and then he got his notebook, sat down at his kitchen table and took another look at his manor list.

He wanted to be prepared!

He had already come to the conclusion that he wanted a library that was just as nice as Baron Smooglenuff’s old one, with lots of adventure books in it. Darius, Nir’wei, Alyssia, Chichi and he would need rooms, of course. There’d have to be a ballroom, a meeting room where they would be able to plan the future of the barony, guest rooms … and … he stared at the list he had written and the crude drawing that he had made that consisted of rectangles of various sizes and furrowed his brow deeply. He was pretty sure that he had forgotten something, but he wasn’t sure what. What else did a manor on Faldrass need?

Right, earthquake protection – and an anti-volcano room!

There had been an earthquake and a volcanic eruption. Such things might happen again!

And then there were the Badlands. He wasn't sure what exactly they were, but if the name held any significance, they were bad, so some protection in that regard would be a good idea as well. Maybe, he could ask people to build a nice, high wall for him, or maybe, he could just put some alchemical stuff on the ground so that the Badlands stuff would stop growing!

Unless there were monsters in the Badlands?

Maybe, a wall and some sort of military and alchemy would be good!

He added "earthquake, volcano and Badlands protection" to the bottom of his list in his messy handwriting, and then he suddeny realized that he had forgotten yet another thing. The manor need a kitchen and bathrooms as well, otherwise, they would starve and be forced to do their business in a bucket or in the garden. A stable for their various animals would be a good idea as well, he realized a moment later, sighing, because there were so many things that he hadn’t even considered yet. Maybe, he could ask Saoire’s people for advice? They would probably make a few suggestions of their own, anyway!

Devin was normally an incredibly confident young man, but he felt quite overwhelmed now, even though he was absolutely excited about being a Baron. He’d wanted to be a noble all his life, since he had been a little boy in Lowtown in Andaris and admired all those rich people.

Planning stuff was not his forte though!

He was just going through his list again, and revising it again (and noting down which materials he wanted to be used - he mentioned marble and rainbow-colored Phoenix Wood, among other things!), because he was pretty sure that he still hadn't considered everything when he suddenly heard a knock on the door. A moment later, Aidan called out to him, “Devin, your guests are here! They are … they are really cute and fluffy!” he added, sounding absolutely amazed.

The story continues here.

word count: 1053

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

Experience: +10 xp

Knowledge:

Skill:

Cooking: Cooking rice (is challenging)
Cooking: Brussel sprouts with walnuts
Cooking: Breaded chicken with glowing eggs
Logistics: Planning a lunch
Logistics: Lists can be helpful when it comes to planning something
Logistics: Planning which protection your manor needs

Skillplay: Appropriate to level

Loot: None.

Injuries/Overstepping: None.

Magic Experience?: None.

Renown: None.

Comments:

Devin’s cooking skills are coming along! I got hungry reading this thread! And yes, getting rice to come out just right is challenging.

I think the Logistics knowledges are just fine. Being a good cook, especially for others, involves planning and stuff!

I look forward to reading the rest of these threads, and to see what Devin comes up with for Badlands protection.

Let me know if you have any questions/feedback. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 134
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”