[Hopetoun] You could never know what it's like

27th of Ashan 721

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1724
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Hopetoun] You could never know what it's like

27th Ashan, 721

The trial before, Vega had met Sir Chip here - "here" being Hope Point.

Overlooking the sea, on the cliffs to the south-west of Hopetoun, this was the highest spot for a long way around. She loved it here; here in Scalvoris, here on Faldrass, here in Hopetoun and here on Hope Point. As she made her way to check on Sir Chip and see how the tree was growing, Vega spoke quietly. "I need to have a chat with you, Daia," she said softly. "Xiur has asked me an' Doran to do this thing, an' we're doin' it. Oh, it's amazin', an' Sir Chip he's been amazin', so he has." Looking up at the dawn light, she smiled. "An' look at that, it's grown, it's really grown." Vega chuckled. "It's prosperin', you know?"

Vega stopped, stopped looking at where the tree was, stopped moving forward for just a moment.

"I need to talk to you, Daia. I feel like." Vega shook her head. She'd been about to say one thing, but it wasn't quite right, it wasn't the full truth and it wasn't complete. Daia deserved only the absolute truth and the complete story. So, she started again. "I feel like I let you down, there in Storm's Edge." Without any amusement in her eyes or her tone or any part of her, Vega chuckled. "Everyone thinks I'm tired, or I'm hurt or I'm jus' traumatised, an' they're all a bunch of steamin' numpties for thinkin' it." Sighing slightly, Vega smiled. "Arlo doesn't think that. He knows me. Papa doesn't either." Looking at the tree, Vega realised just what a miracle it was which Sir Chip had accomplished.

"I need to go look at this tree, Daia, but I jus' wanted to say to you that I'm sorry if I let you down. I feel like I did."

Dawn light was behind her and Vega looked up at the place she was making her way towards and she started to walk again. It was, after all, how she lived the majority of her life. Moving- always moving. Not stopping in the past, she didn't worry about the past. No, Vega was in the now and she was looking to the future.

And this, this was no different.

There were things to do - a job to do. She and Doran and Arlo and Sir Chip and Darius and the residents of Hopetoun and the people from Saoire's school all needed to work towards the future. The beacon was going to happen and this was the right place. The right place for the beacon and the right place for her and Arlo and the right place for this baby to be born.

But first, Vega knew, she had to set things straight with Daia.
word count: 486

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Re: [Hopetoun] You could never know what it's like

Mod Bomb

Rhythmic footsteps sounded from behind Vega, as she felt a strange sensation come over her.

"Let's Talk about it, then, Miss Vega." Vega could feel the glow emanating from the wound in her Immortal patron's heart before she heard her voice. It came as the warmth of friendship, and the rhythm of dance, the bustle of prosperity. It wound its way through Vega's own heart like a threaded needle through the fabric as Daia sewed a sensation of acceptance and tolerance toward her favored friend.

If Vega turned around, she'd see the mother of lions, along with a creature she'd not recognize at first. Then, the realization would dawn on her. The Gigantic lioness next to Daia was none other than Madame Leona!

"Hello Vega, good to meet you again!" Leona said with a languid yawn of her maw. She came to rest several feet from the side of Daia, as she looked on the magnificent tree that Vega had a part in making.

"Why do you think you let me down, my friend?" Daia asked her, non-judgementally. But as if she truly wanted to know. Something in her voice hinted that she already had the answer, but she wanted to hear it from Vega's own mouth, in her own words. "Please, tell me."

She clasped and folded her hands between each other, just beneath her navel, as she waited for Vega's reply. The wound in her chest glowed with a warmth that Vega could still feel, and it resonated in the mark that the Mortalborn of Rhythm possessed.

word count: 269
Avatar provided by the wonderful Pegasus
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

27th Ashan, 721

The footsteps she heard didn't sound like Arlo, or her Papa, so Vega turned to look and she had to admit to being somewhat surprised. "Tio's Tiny Todger!" The exclamation was not so much at realising that Daia was there - that was rather secondary, but in fact it was at the fact that there was a - right there, right in front of her - "Well, that's a big lion." As soon as she realised though, she bowed her head. "Lady Daia! Oh, it's right good to see you! I were jus' talkin' to you.. you probably know that. An' Mistress Leona, it's so nice to see you! " Vega realised that she'd exclaimed that expression, in front of Daia, and she tried to explain. "Sorry about the todger comment. I mean, I have seen it an' it were weeny. But it was very cold, in fairness to the boy. It were in the Darbyton Derby, it were. Well weird, that was. You have to do this assault course, an' you start off naked. Anyhow, I'm sorry. Although, I also say things like 'Pier an' Pre's pink parts' an' 'Xiur's perky nips' an' I haven't seen those." Thinking about it, Vega thought, Pier and Pre had mentioned that in her judgement. Still. "So, yeah. Sorry. Didn't mean to be disrespectful." In fairness, disrespectful was the last thing Vega would be.

And Daia asked her what she meant.

Vega looked at the Immortal and she smiled. For a long moment, she was quiet, but then she spoke. "It's hard for me. To put it into words. But I'll try." She didn't smile, she just spoke softly; she'd been trying to work it out and while Vega knew, without doubt, what the situation was - vocalising it was hard. "The problem is Yeva. An' that kid Coroth." She tried to think of it, to explain it, and she struggled to do so. Instead, she turned and looked at Daia. That was always Vega's way, of course, head on - look at the problem, understand it, deal with.

"I asked Ziell to bring Yeva back, because I were with her when she died an' it were right meanin'less." Vega said it, as always, just how she saw it. Her eyes swirled a whole plethora of colours. The hues shifted and changed with a rapidity which denoted her emotional state. "But there were so many others, Lady Daia. Other people who died meanin'less deaths at the pumpernickels, an' I knew them an' I couldn't resurrect them or ask a passin' Immortal to bring them back." She gestured around, then, at the settlement they were. "An' comin' here, Lady Daia, it's the right thing for me. I know it is. I need to be around people, but there?" Vega's brows knitted together, as she spoke.

"I knew them there, Lady Daia, an' I fought every day too. But when they died, I couldn't help them an'," she tried to explain it, but she knew that she was struggling. "The first time I met Faldrun, he told me what he did to my Mama, an' I punched him in the gob. He cursed me." She gestured to her shoulder. "An' I do that. I act. I punch or I build or I jus' get on." She sighed.

"When I got to Storm's Edge," she said, realising that she hadn't in fact, answered the question until now. "There was no community, no cohesion. An' I built it. With others, of course, but I did. An' that meant that I knew them all. Every one. An' when they died, I knew their names, their family, their likes an' dislikes. I knew every way they irritated me, Lady Daia." Vega's voice showed more emotion than she'd like, but it was what it was. "I came here to be jus' me an' Arlo, together. This place, this community - it's what I need. But it's not what I wanted."

And that, of course, was the crux of the matter.

"Companionship were what I needed. To feel part of a group, to be part of a place. It were what I needed. But Lady Daia, it weren't what I wanted. I wanted to hide, because if it were jus' me an' Arlo then it would be him lookin' after me, an' not me tryin' to look after everyone an' failin'" She turned then, to look at Daia, and tears stood in her eyes - a rare thing for Vega, usually, except. "I'm pregnant," she said, softly. "An' we thought an' we believed we could never have children. An' here, finally, we fit in. Me an' him, an' him an' me. We fit in an' we can help an' work, an' make a difference, help this place prosper. We can dance an' sing an' bring hope an' joy." There was no doubt in her words, none. "But the people still irritate me an' I want to thump them," she said, honestly. "An' I worry I've let you down."
word count: 863

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Mod Bomb

Daia listened carefully as Vega explained what she meant. She listened without standing in judgment or worrying about what Vega would think of her attention. Just listening as an old friend would, listening to Vega speak her heart and mind.

And they went straight to some heavy issues, but this didn’t phase Daia in the slightest. Friends spoke about things of various levels of importance, both the trivial as well as the deeply personal in equal measure. Truth be told, Daia felt a special bond for those people who had been present at her resurrection, whether it was the ghost Luther, Arlo, Hart, or Vega herself. Those four were her chosen friends, the first she’d made since returning to life. And she would treasure their companionship forever.

It seemed Vega was suffering from some survivor’s guilt. Daia appeared genuinely saddened as Vega related her helplessness, and feeling like she’d failed the people who died for not asking the Immortals to help them when she’d stuck her neck out for Yeva.

And they came to the matter of Vega, explaining who she was, why she did things the way she did, why she talked the way she did, why she felt about people in general who weren’t her closest friends. Daia sighed in relief, ”You…”

Daia shook her head, but strode forward, laying two hands-on Vega’s shoulders as if steadying her. ”Vega, when I returned to life, I promised myself I would not be as free with my companionship as I’ve always been in those long-lost ages before my death.”

”I wouldn’t have marked you if I thought for a moment you were not worthy or letting me down.” Daia turned from Vega’s gaze, to look all around her, at what she’d helped build upon. There was prosperity, and companionship abounded here. She knew it was a very special place that Vega occupied. But she felt some guilt. And that wasn’t right. ”Yes, it was terrible that those people who fought and died alongside you suffered from the treachery of Rharne’s enemy. Those people chose to be part of the solution, like you. And you took them all of the same risks alongside them. Gave them companionship in their final days, and never deserted them, made their final moments lighter by your example.”

Madam Leona, behind Daia, stretched languidly on the grass, and rolled over onto her back, settling beneath the open sky. Daia smiled again at Vega, ”Vega, you are one of the four I first chose as my personal friends. Between you, Arlo, Luther, and Hart, I couldn’t be happier with the friends I found in that strange and dark place. And I wouldn’t change a single thing about any of my friends.”

”So, you thump away. Be true to yourself first, then everything else will fall into place. You’ll find acceptance and belonging as long as you’re genuinely who you are. And don’t you know? I think you’ve arrived in a place where you fit in quite well!”

Daia smiled once more at her, and offered her arms for a hug to Vega, if she’d let her. But only for a moment, ”It’s such a beautiful gift, to have a child. I cherish my Ti’atha… May your child prosper with many companions and a long long life!”

She turned around and began making her way back toward Leona. But before she departed, she would leave Vega with this: ”I never really thanked you for saving my darling daughter, Ti’atha. Consider this then an invitation to my very closest inner circle of friends, if you would accept me?”

She let the question hang on the air a moment, she wouldn’t force advancement of her mark on the woman if she didn’t wish it yet, or still felt unworthy. But Daia didn’t want to be too forward or swift when Vega only moments before was relating her unworthiness. Daia didn’t agree, but Vega was entitled to the way she felt, and if that meant she wanted to continue striving and trying to prove herself to Daia, then the Immortal would take that as another gift from her dear friend.

word count: 720
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

27th Ashan, 721
Thankfully, Daia didn't seem to mind about the todger comment, for which Vega was very grateful. What she did do, however, was to listen to Vega. To truly listen to her. That was something that many people didn't do, generally. Vega was always surprised at that, when she saw it or experienced it first hand - how people could get distracted or not pay attention to someone. It seemed, to her, to be the very epitome of rude and she disliked it intensely. Daia, though, she listened and she paid attention and she didn't dismiss or ignore Vega's words. That was important to her, also, and she was very grateful to the mother of lions for it.

She, in her turn, listened to Daia's words, and she nodded. "I know you're right," she said. "I try to always know myself, an' I think it's the big contradiction in my brain, you know? I think that people need to work for their own hope, their own dreams. Jus' sittin' by an' askin' others isn't right." Vega smiled. "But equally, I want to make sure none o'them get hurt. That I protect them all." Her lips lifted in a grin as she said it aloud. "I am a most contrary ginger, you know?" Genuinely, she looked at the Immortal and she spoke with quiet fervour. "I'm right grateful for you."

When Daia told her to thump away, Vega chuckled. They might not like it if she did, she considered, but she nodded her head when Daia said that she'd found a place where she fitted in well. "I love it here," she said. "There's somethin' magical about it, there really is." It was something she couldn't quite describe but, equally, she knew she didn't have to. She returned Daia's hug with what many might think was a surprising enthusiasm. She wasn't a hugger by nature, but that wasn't entirely true. Vega was a very physical person - even her thumps were signs of affection. She simply chose not to share that with many people. Daia, however, was one of them and so she hugged the Immortal back.

"I'm so happy," she said, honestly. "Thank you, Lady Daia." The words, the wish for her child - that meant a lot.

As the Immortal prepared to leave, she asked Vega another question. There was no hesitation from Vega. "It would be my honour, Lady Daia. As far as accepting you goes, you're family. An' there's nothin' more important. I'm nothin' but proud, so proud, of bein' your friend." She smiled. It seemed a strange thing to say to an Immortal, she supposed. But it wasn't, to her. Because that was what it was.

"I'd be as happy as a very happy pig," she said, with a smile. It had been what she said to Xiur, and it was important to her that Daia knew that Vega's commitment to the relationship was as strong. But then, she added - because she always would. "I haven't forgotten findin' your lions, I will do it an' soon. But Lady Daia, is there anythin' that I can do for you? Or you, Mistress Leona? I'm happy to help in any practical stuff, an' I never mind bein' asked." She grinned. "It's genuinely, my pleasure." She smiled because, the simple fact was, it was.

word count: 581

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Mod Bomb

Daia enjoyed listening to people. Part and parcel of the domain of Companionship, obviously, but it was also important and related to her other Domains of Dance and Prosperity. Perceiving need and giving a hand up, whether on the dance floor or in life in general. So she did enjoy listening, even if she was more or less bound to, it was just who she was.

”You’ve found a good place, Vega. And I know they’re glad of your company, though they may annoy you from time to time.”

When she asked if there was anything that she could do for her, after Daia offered her a step closer to her closest companions, the Mother of Lions smiled. She nodded her head, and then looked to Madame Leona. The lioness had been nearby, also listening but mostly being quiet and watching as the two conversed.

Until Daia’s gaze fell on the lioness, and she perked up. ”Why, yes, Vega! I was wondering if you might… If you’d have me along when you go to find my lady’s other Lions.” Before Vega had a chance for it to register, or react, Leona interjected, ”You see, there’s a very special lion out there, it’s my daughter. And she’s bound to be very out of sorts when we find her. I fear she will not listen to reason or believe you when you tell her she’s one of Daia’s own. It’s been so long, many of the lions have forgotten what they were…” Leona’s head hung sullenly.

Having heard this, Daia knelt by her lioness, and patted her around the neck. ”You know, I think she’ll say yes. So you two talk about it, and I’ll be waiting for you… Both of you, when you find her.” This said, Daia walked away, off into the hills as she waved goodbye to Vega and Leona.

Leona looked sadly at Vega, almost entreatingly. ”I wouldn’t assume, but will you help me Vega?”

word count: 344
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

27th Ashan, 721
The Immortal looked both pleased and surprised when Vega asked if there was something she could do. Daia looked at Mistress Leona and Vega followed her gaze. The lioness spoke and asked if she could accompany Vega. There was no hesitation in Vega's words or her expression. "It would be my honour, Madame Leona. It really would." She had no doubt that they could work well together and Vega was more than happy to have the company. Also, of course, there was the fact that this was Madame Leona's daughter. It must be awful, Vega thought, to be so worried about her child.

Lady Daia was leaving and Vega smiled at her. "It's an honour an' a pleasure, Lady Daia. Thank you. I'm right glad the world has you back in it," she said honestly. Always truthful, that was her way. Vega was not a sophisticated woman, in many ways, but she knew what she knew and she was as honest as anyone could be. So, she said what needed saying - bad or good - and that was that. Then, she turned to Madame Leona and she considered it. "I reckon we'll be able to get started lookin' in Ymiden, if that's a'right with you? I've got the care of this young boy, Wren, an' his Papa is off tryin' to do some good. He's Daia marked too, his papa, he were there at the Mummers Ball. Anyhow, he an' I are goin' to look for the lions." She chatted with Madame Leona and arranged what they would do and when. Then, she showed Madame Leona the beacon and the way things had happened and were happening there.

"I think the reason I like this place so much," she said, "is because it's hope an' prosperity, you know? Companionship is so important to them. To us. It's like it's Xiur an' Daia an' Qylios all in one place, all in one people, an' I feel at home here, I really do." She grinned suddenly. "I'd love for you to meet Wren. Would you mind? He's really missin' his Papa, an' I think that meetin' you will jus' make his day." The young boy was kept very busy by Vega, but not so much so that he had no time. It was a juggling act and finding things to do for and with him required a lot of time on her part. But, it was worth it because he was her responsibility.

word count: 427

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Mod Bomb

Daia waved to Vega, but before she left, she had one more thing to say, "Vega, when you're ready, when I'm ready. There's another thing I would ask of you. A task."

She sighed, thinking back on her long existence, and back to the very beginnings of the conflict that precipitated the Immortal's War. "The one who slayed me... he had issue. An issue that has survived to this day. They suffered from my curse upon killing me, and that curse has remained in their family for every other generation. When you're ready, I need you to find this person. Leona can help you locate them when it's time. They're the last of their line, an aukari... She has my curse. I must take it back, it's not right for someone to suffer who isn't responsible for the sins of their forefathers and mothers."

But then, Daia smiled, and left Vega finally, with Madame Leona.

Player Name: Vega

Points awarded: 15
Magic xp: none

Knowledge:

Caregiving: Listening is a keystone of giving a care.
Caregiving: x 5
Socialization: x 5

Renown: 15
Loot: NPC Companion.
NPC:

Name: Madame Leona:
Race: Lion Spirit (takes the form of a dire lioness)
Skills:

Storytelling: Master (80)
Caregiving: Expert (65)
Endurance: Expert (65)
Dancing: Expert (65)
Acting: Expert (55)
Athletics: Competent (45)

Personality: Leona is a caring and nurturing soul, who nevertheless loves to perform and dance and does so with a fierceness that belies her gentleness. She is great with kids, and has many stories to tell of her experiences, travelling Idalos. She will not engage in combat, and tends to shy away from danger unless there are vulnerable people about. Then she will use herself as a shield against whatever threatens them.

Special ability:

Fire-Dancing: Madame Leona has an innate ability to dance over fluid surfaces and over hazardous terrain.
Injuries/Overstepping: N/A
Wealth Points: N/A
Consequences: The promise of a special task for Vega, when the time comes.

Skill Review: All Skills used appropriately to PC's level
Notes: This was an amazing thread all around, and I'm glad I spotted it when I did. Vega is such a genuine and real character. The way you write her really brings her to life, and I consistently find her saying things that floor me with their wisdom and insight.

Well done!

Also, since it's true, I'm going to award you with the Painting with Words medal.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this review, feel free to PM. Enjoy your rewards!

word count: 439
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”