• Solo • Sword Fighting for Beginners, Part 2

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Sword Fighting for Beginners, Part 2

Continued from here.

Ashan 27, Arc 721

When his former student, Darius Baer, the leader of Hopetoun, had asked him if he would be willing to teach his settlers how to use a sword, the son of Ziell had of course agreed immediately. They needed to be able to defend themselves in the case of a raid, for example. He had half expected them to bring practice weapons which would have been appropriate when you had no combat experience though. Instead, the twelve settlers had only had a few swords between them; the rest had brought pitchforks, hammers or whatever the closest thing to a weapon that they owned was, or nothing at all.

He had managed to make it work though. In order to learn the proper footwork, a sword was not absolutely necessary. It could in fact be quite distracting. And when it came to learning how to hold a sword correctly, he had made the settlers take turns with the few swords that they had between them. That was something that could be done with no danger, even when you were a relative to absolute beginner (some of the settlers had held a sword in their hands before). Nobody got hurt by just holding a sword.

For the next part of their lesson during which the settlers would learn how to attack and how to defend themselves, he had considered it to be prudent to try and procure practice weapons though lest something bad happened. So, while they continued to take a break, he made his way through Hopetoun in order to do just that. Fortunately, Vega Creede, who had allowed him to stay in her camp, owned a few of them. When they all met in the center of Hopetoun for the continuation of their lesson again, a small pile of wooden swords greeted the settlers.

“So, are we going to learn how to actually use a weapon now?” a young man, the only settler that had arrived completely unarmed earlier that morning wanted to know. He looked quite excited, the son of Ziell observed with a light smirk, and his eyes shimmered brightly.

“Indeed”, he confirmed with a light nod before his tone of voice abruptly grew more serious again. This was a serious matter, after all. “Mrs. Creede fortunately allowed me to borrow these here, so you can all put your weapons away now. When you first learn how to fight, it is a good idea to use practice weapons. Accidents do happen sometimes”, he warned them because it absolutely needed to be said in his opinion. In his opinion, it was a good idea to instill a healthy amount of respect for the sword into them.

“That being said, there are three basic attacks that I want to show you all to-trial – the strike, the thrust and the slice, and then you’ll learn how to defend the head, the torso and the legs”, he explained and picked up one of the practice weapons before he gestured for them to do the same and finally spoke, “I will show you each move before you give it a try. Please gather in a half-circle in front of me once more, and pay attention to what I do.”
word count: 545

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Re: Sword Fighting for Beginners, Part 2

Once the settlers were all ready, he raised his sword in order to execute the first of the three attacks that he would be teaching them that trial, namely the strike. He did so by extending his arms first, and then he struck with the edge of his blade, in a controlled and precise fashion, using his dominant hand to guide the blade, before he settled into a guarded position. A moment later, he repeated the attack, a little more slowly this time.

“Now I want you to copy me”, he told the settlers, lowered his sword again and proceeded to walk around the area, spending some time with each settler and paying close attention to them. They made a lot of the mistakes that he expected beginners to make. The blonde woman, the one who had initially brought a pitchfork, still remembered how she was supposed to hold her sword, for example, but she twisted it in mid-swing when she struck which was why he politely corrected her, “If you twist your sword in mid-swing, you will hit your target at an angle that will make it much harder for you to cut. The strike should come from the body and not from your shoulders. Make a step forward when you strike”, he told another settler that had made another common mistake before he proceeded to move on to the next settler.

“When you strike, the dominant hand guides the blade, but the cutting power itself comes from the off hand. It will create the leverage to move the tip faster”, he continued and decided, having realized that a considerable number of settlers had made mistakes in that regard. “There is a simple exercise that will help you practice this mechanic. I want you all to grip your sword so that it points forward and slightly upwards. Use your off hand in order to pull up the pommel. This will subsequently cause the tip to lower”, he explained and showed them what he meant.

He let the settlers practice several times before he finally moved on to thrust which was an easier attack in comparison. It involved nothing more than extending the sword’s trip in a straight line towards the target, followed by a step forward, in order to close the distance between your opponent and you, if such was necessary. As he had expected, the settlers did better this time, due to the attack being simpler and more straight-forward – literally.
word count: 416

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

“Let’s continue”, Doran told the settlers after another short break during which he had given them the opportunity to relax and ask questions about their training which was something that he considered to be important.

“The last attack that you will learn is the slice, as I told you before. It is not particularly different from the strike that I already taught you. It is something less than a full-powered cut and executed by placing the edge of your sword against an exposed part of your opponent’s body and then pushing or pulling. It is very useful when you don’t have enough room to make a full cut, for example when your opponent is already very close”, he explained before he made a step forward and executed a slice, with force and repeated the attack two more times.

The settlers were, he observed as he watched them try and repeat what he had done and corrected them, still very obviously absolute beginners, for the most part, and made mistakes on a regular basis – you did not become a skilled swordsman or even internalize the basics within a single trial – but most of them tried to spread their legs and bend their knees a little when they practiced now rather than standing completely straight.

There were obvious differences between the various settlers – some of them were more talented, some very obviously less, and those that had previous experience generally did better, as he had noticed before – but he was confident that he would be able to get them all to a point where they would not be entirely defenseless in case of an attack.

There was, he decided, hope.
word count: 282

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

“For the last part of to-trial’s lesson you will all take turns practicing with me”, the son of Ziell spoke. Some of his colleagues would likely just have let their students practice with each other right away. He did not think that doing such would be a good idea though. When you paired up two absolute beginners and told them to practice with each other, after briefly observing you, they either didn’t learn a lot, or they learned things the wrong way. For that reason, he had decided that he would work with them.

“I need a volunteer now. Who wants to go first?” he wanted to know and let his gaze drift across the mortals that stood in front of him, expecting them to take some time to decide. The young man who had so excitedly asked if they would learn to actually use a sword now before immediately raised his hand though, and when Doran gestured for him to stop forward, he did so eagerly, holding his borrowed wooden sword in his hands.

“Most of the time, your opponent will go for your torso”, Doran explained and shifted the wooden sword in his hands slightly. “I want you to strike diagonally now”, he told his volunteer. When the young man did so, a little slowly, he moved his sword in much the same way that the mortal had. He did not simply move backwards after parrying the attack though; instead, he stepped to the side and forward and finally aimed for his opponent’s upper body, stopping before he actually making contact once more.

“If you simply move backwards, your opponent will inevitably follow you”, he subsequently explained. “For that reason, you should step to the side instead. Furthermore, simply defending yourself is not enough. In a real fight, your opponent won’t give up just because you managed to parry their attack once or twice, at least not usually. Instead, they will attack you again and again until you have been overwhelmed.”

“For that reason, every defense of yours should quickly be followed by an attack. If your opponent attacks your head”,
he continued and gestured for the young man to raise his sword a little higher this time before he met it by executing a swift, circular cut. “You defend yourself like this before you step to the side and execute a counter-attack, just like before. When it comes to defending the legs”, he spoke a moment later. “Things are a little different though. Here, I would suggest that you do not attempt, but move backwards and cut. One cannot attack the legs without exposing the head”, he said. While his volunteer lowered his sword, he made a half-step backwards before he cut. A moment later, they switched positions, and finally, when they were done, the Mortalborn nodded at his volunteer and thanked him.

Once the young man had joined the other settlers again, the Mortalborn gestured for the next student to step forward and practice with him, giving them useful advice and correcting their mistakes. The second part of the lesson ended just like the first part had ended, with him giving the settlers the opportunity to ask questions about their training. Finally, he informed them of the possibility of future lessons (He would be honored to teach them again, he told them.) and sparring sessions, with himself, or each other (with him watching them).
word count: 575

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

Experience: +10 xp

Knowledge:

Blades: How to execute a strike
Blades: How to execute a slice
Blades: Defending the head
Blades: Defending the torso
Blades: Defending the legs
Teaching: When teaching combat, use practice weapons

Non-skill:

Skillplay: Appropriate to level

Loot: None.

Injuries/Overstepping: None.

Magic Experience?: None.

Renown: +5

Comments:

The decision to teach the settlers to use a sword as opposed to a spear or a bow is interesting. They aren’t planning on becoming pirates, are they? :p

I appreciate the fact that this thread acknowledges not only the challenges of teaching people who are untrained in the use of weapons, but also of organizing a training program on the fly when you don’t have a lot of resources (the lack of practice swords). Doran is obviously a teacher blessed not only with skill and patience, but with resourcefulness and flexibility. The one eager beaver in the class stood out as a personality. I wonder if we will hear more about him and his exploits in swordsmanship.

Let me know if you have any questions/feedback. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 184
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”