[Haven] I See Dead People

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Haven] I See Dead People

71 Ashan 721

It wasn't as cold that morning as it had been in mornings earlier in the season, but with the suns down there was still a little chill over the darkened Haven settlement. Balthazar didn't feel the cold like the others and was not nearly as concerned with it, but he also heard a strange noise outside his house that prompted him to rise from his bed beside Elisabeth as quietly as possible and look towards Miranda. She had heard the noise as well and her hand rested on her sword. Balthazar moved slowly to pick up the dagger Elisabeth had given him from the table beside the bed. They moved carefully out of the room, following what sounded like a quietly weeping woman to the front door of Balthazar's new home. Balthazar and Miranda moved to the door at the same time and Miranda placed her hand on the handle slowly. The woman was still crying and it sounded as if she was just beyond the door. Balthazar set the dagger down, deciding it was no way to greet a distressed woman, and when Miranda opened the door there was nothing there.

An uncomfortable chill spread up Balthazar's spine and he moved out of his house into the settlement with Miranda close behind. Once they were far enough from the house, he spoke in a low voice. "Ghosts or spirits, something is here." He said with certainty in his voice. Miranda seemed doubtful but he provided some elaboration. "I worked with a ghost for the majority of my travels before upsetting her. I'm familiar with how they linger. It's probably Nimue but I haven't seen her in a long time." He wondered why and sometimes worried but he'd had so much on his mind that he never tried to force her to show up. He didn't know if he could but he knew he could find out some of her history from her dagger and messing with it might alert her in some way.

"Wouldn't it be bound to an anchor?" Miranda asked, revealing she had some knowledge of the topic herself. She was an experienced veteran, they'd all seen things. Balthazar nodded but he explained why she might be wrong.

"Normally, yes, but I've seen exceptions. The last night of the Copper Prince tournament something happened and she went away. Maybe-" Before he could present a theory he and Miranda saw the same shimmering apparitions pass through the dirt path in front of them. Four figures of varying shape and vague gender, somewhat like a family, seemed to hover across the ground from one building to the next- both there and not at the same time. The duo moved quickly to try and intercept the strange figures before they came out the other side of the building but when they turned the corner, the family was gone. It was unsettling to think of the number of dead from Faldrass and even worse to consider that they might be anchored somewhere in Haven. "I don't like this." Balthazar said but Miranda did not comment. She did not like it either. "Lets go back inside and report it, then we can consider our options."

Little did they know who they'd woken when they left... though they'd probably hear her inside before they got to the door.
Last edited by Balthazar Black on Sat May 15, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 573

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Re: [Haven] I See Dead People

Arc 721, 71 Ashan

…so they didn’t wake Elisabeth….

Yes, Elisabeth fell easily to sleep each night, curled up against Balthazar. Never was it implied, however, that she was a heavy sleeper. Especially since their incarcerations...

The young woman still had reoccurring nightmares of a vanishing Balthazar. That she would wake up, and he’d be gone. Taken. Again. It was a silly, irrational fear, she knew that. Elisabeth could produce a hundred reasons why he wouldn’t ever be able to be taken from her without her waking…but she couldn’t get her mind to accept them.

The movement of their bed registered to her on some level, but the raven-haired young woman was still too entrenched in a sleepy fog to understand it meant Balthazar was getting out of it. What she did realize, however, was that his side of the bed would be much warmer than hers, and as such, she unconsciously gravitated towards his vacated spot, snuggling down under the covers happily.

Wrapped within that warmth, it took a bit longer than it should have before cerulean eyes shot open.

One trill…maybe two. That’s all it took for her body to launch out of bed. She had no idea what had prompted him to rise but both he and…. thinking quickly back to who had watched them fall asleep that night…Miranda! Both he and Miranda were missing. Eyes flicked to the various locations where he kept his weapons and only one was missing – the Elisabeth dagger.

Calling out for him wasn’t an option. He was armed and that meant he expected some sort of trouble…although that made no sense considering he was arguably more dangerous without a weapon than with.

Grabbing Iustitia quickly, Elisabeth made her way out into the common room of the house she now shared with him. Well, house plus settlement common area. They themselves resided in the back two rooms of the building, leaving the common area in front for settlement meetings and business.

Elisabeth was expecting trouble and as such, was cautious, listening to the environment around her. She may not have possessed any level of stealth, but she was, as Balthazar enjoyed pointing out, a small woman. It didn’t take much to not make noise moving across the floorboards. Just in case, she moved light and slow.

As soon as she got within a few feet of the exit, the knob turned. Moving quickly behind the door, she moved her sword into the ready position, focused. It wasn’t until she heard Balthazar’s voice, speaking in a normal, neutral tone that she relaxed back against the wall, waiting for them to close the door.

“You two aren’t nearly as quiet as you think you are…”.

Giving them both a somewhat sleepy, quick smile as they found her, Elisabeth yawned and continued.

“Is there a reason we are awake at this unholy break? Please tell me there’s a reason. I was having a lovely dream about…well… never mind that….”

Last edited by Elisabeth Black on Sat May 22, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 511
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

71 Ashan 721

"If that were true, we wouldn't have made it back to the door before you reached it." Balthazar countered like a smart ass when Elisabeth said he and Miranda were not as quiet as they thought they were. Elisabeth asked for an explanation as to why they were up and Balthazar looked back out towards the settlement. "We heard something, then saw something. We're not sure what but the leading theory is ghosts. Hopefully just passing through." It was unlikely though, that they would just be passing through. Did ghosts ever just pass through? Other than when they passed through things like walls and the sort. "Why are you up? You could have gone back to bed." Balthazar pointed out as he closed the door and crossed back over towards the bedroom. Miranda didn't comment because she didn't think there was anything worth saying. She'd include her thoughts in her report to Kura about the ghost siting and alert the other Flame Troopers if Balthazar did not do so himself.

Balthazar opened the door the the bedroom and tossed his dagger towards the bed then turned back to Elisabeth and the shadow. "I'm not surprised by ghosts on Faldrass but I am surprised it took this long for them to show up." Surprised and a little concerned. Time made them descend further into madness didn't it? If there were dead from Faldrass erupting they'd be nearly an arc gone now. What were they like? His prior conversations with ghosts had sparked a curiosity but it was heavily tempered by concern for the safety of the settlers. "We'll have a meeting at dawn with all the guards to discuss what we saw and we can plan from there. "
word count: 299

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 71 Ashan

He fired back at her comment, causing a grin to form. “Well, there were a few things I needed to do after realizing that you two were gone. I felt you get out of bed, just didn’t think much of it until my mind kicked in…” Yawning softly, she walked over to where he was, arching her eyebrow at his next query. ”Back to sleep? You and Preston were gone, and the dagger too. That added up to something I needed to investigate, with a sword in hand.” Giving her sword a bit of a wave, she walked into the bedroom when he opened the door and put it away, rejoining them in the common room.

Normally one might have thought to put a robe on but since the shadows were always there, the young mage never slept in anything too risqué and, therefore, there was no reason to. Slipping a hand through her hair, she tried to shake the cobwebs of slumber away as she listened to what Balthazar was saying.

The conversation quickly turned towards what they had found, curiosity rearing its ugly head. “Ghosts? That’s new.” Of course, she wasn’t surprised given Faldrass’ recent history. Ghosts were an area Balthazar was much more comfortable with than she. Her relationship with Nimue, brief as it had been, had taught her a bit, but it had been a long time since last seeing her.

“I agree that with the area’s history, it was only a matter of time, although I’m curious why now. The timing seems a little suspect. The settlement has been here a season and a half, and this is the first sighting. I wonder if something happened that is sparking activity? Attracting it somehow.”

Of course, her mind was only half there. The rest of it was back in the nice warm bed.

word count: 316
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

71 Ashan 721

"I would suspect the same but I'm not sure there is much that can be done." Balthazar said, once again thinking about the night Nimue had been free from her anchor. He didn't know what happened or how, but with research he was certain they could find out. Unfortunately resources were limited and there were more important things to focus on. If there were ghosts in Haven they needed to be assessed, soothed, and dealt with. If they lingered they would degrade over time and Haven might end up no better than Viden had been before Balthazar purged the Empty from the city. He did not want to purge any buildings in Haven so he had to think about the other options available to them. Balthazar looked towards Miranda, "Can I request Kura send us copper and bells?" Balthazar asked the shadow, "Whatever the government can spare to deal with the danger?"

Miranda considered his request for a few moments and then nodded. He could request it, but it would be entirely up to Kura how she responded. When Miranda made her report, she would include his request. For the moment she would continue to to her job and watch Balthazar. The former mage turned back to Elisabeth, "We may not be able to figure out why they're showing up now, but they are." As usual, they'd focus on what they could handle and work from there. While Elisabeth felt a lingering draw to sleep, Balthazar found his mind all too awake now. He wasn't sure he'd be able to fall asleep if he laid back down. How long was it till dawn anyways? He could spend time preparing for the meeting. "You should go back to bed, you don't have to stay up too." He could see she was tired but he wouldn't say it.
word count: 317

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 71 Ashan

Well, of course, she was tired. Elisabeth had been blissfully asleep in a nice warm bed with a nice warm Balthazar when the ghosts came calling. In truth, it was one of her favorite parts of a trial, being able to be close to him in a somewhat acceptable manner. She often woke in the night and simply laid there with him, appreciating the quietness of the dark and the fact that despite everything, they were still together in Haven. There had been much that could have kept one or the other from being there.

Unfortunately for all, once the young mage’s mind was woken, it was hard to settle it back down again and as such, there was little use trying. She’d simply end up tossing and turning for a while before giving up and rising again. Yawning softly, Elisabeth shook her head, giving him a sleepy smile. “Toooo late now. Far too late. We are all up, so I had better get dressed.”

Of course, that was easier said than done. As she turned to go back into the bedroom, she managed to stub her toe on the table leg, biting her bottom lip gently to rein in the curse that really wanted to fly out of her mouth. Resisting, she moved on, managing to make her way through the bedroom door, closing it and finding her way into clothing – sort of. Her shirt had been put on backward to start, and she wasn’t even going to talk about the difficulty getting her leggings on as Storm chased the bottoms of them. The long raven curls that she normally could count on to behave, weren’t.

It was shaping up to be something of a trial.

Opening the door back up, Elisabeth shuffled back out into the common area, rubbing her eyes a bit. The time away from the conversation had stirred a few more ideas regarding the matter at hand, although first, questions.

She always had questions.

“Copper and bells?” Elisabeth assumed they were something of a deterrent to ghosts, but the question begged to be asked. “You know far more about ghosts than I do. What’s the best way to approach the situation until we know what help Kura will be able to provide?” She assumed he had a plan of some sort, so to shake the cobwebs from her mind, she figured they could brainstorm possible constructive solutions.

word count: 411
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

71 Ashan 721

Balthazar saw Elisabeth turn and stub her toe and while part of him wanted to laugh, part of him was concerned that she'd hurt herself. She played it off well and kept moving to go and get dressed while Balthazar sat wearing what he had been wearing to sleep without any issue. They were his clothes from the trial before. He did not see the sense in having a different outfit to sleep in. While Elisabeth was away, Balthazar did not do anything incredibly important. He sat at his desk, blinking slowly to wake the portions of his mind that were not yet functioning and Miranda just watched him. He thought about Nimue, he thought about the dead, he thought about Vri and the mark. Walk the path, or be cast from it. He took a deep breath and considered the what he'd been told after Immortal's Tongue. Even now, so long later, he struggled at times with what that meant. He'd stopped a necromancer which felt in line with what Vri would have wanted. He'd given the necromancer's victims as proper rites as he could. Yet that had all been before... and he took Vri's warning as a message he'd been doing it wrong.

Perhaps helping these ghosts move on or... whatever he could do for them, would help? Elisabeth's return was what broke the silence in the room and she opened with what she often opened with, a question. "Copper and bells?" Balthazar had seen Nimue burn herself on a copper sword when they were hunting the Empty in Viden. "Effective to varying degrees against the ghosts I've encountered." Balthazar responded simply, preferring not to go into a long explanation about it. "Fire works too but I'd rather not burn things in Haven. There are likely more methods but we'd have to look into it. The Albarech will probably know something." Balthazar said before addressing what Elisabeth asked next. What was the best way to deal with the situation?

"Well there is no 'situation' yet. We've seen ghosts but it's not unexpected where we are and they haven't done anything. We wait till dawn, tell the guards, tell the people, and keep everyone on the lookout until there are more sitings." It would be difficult for them to go around looking for ghosts they had no special abilities to see. With attunement Balthazar might have been able to find a great many things, but he did not have it anymore.

word count: 430

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 71 Ashan

Elisabeth listened to his answers to her questions, absorbing the knowledge. It was then she wished she had spent a little more time with Nimue, trying to understand ghosts. That time was in the past though, and all the young mage could do was try to remedy the situation moving forward.

She stood there, mind still sleepy, wondering what she should do. Balthazar didn’t seem to be in an overly conversational mood and sleep wasn’t an option. Despite its utter refusal to do so quickly, Elisabeth’s mind was far too awake for her to successfully go back to bed.

It sounded like, for the moment, there was nothing they could do. Wait for dawn. Tell people. Wait and see. Nodding, she walked up behind him and squeezed his shoulders gently. “Alright. I’m going to go meditate. If I don’t come back, I’m asleep on the beach…”

Nodding to Preston, Elisabeth slipped out of the structure, padding onto the still-dark beach. Ghosts in Haven. That was going to take some time to process, but apparently, she had some extra time that morning to do exactly that.

Storm, who had followed her out the door, accompanied her to the beach. This had become an everytrial thing, so Elisabeth knew what to expect before she sat upon the warm sand. As soon as she was in position, he made his move, quickly curling up in her lap before she could object. No matter for she had learned how to meditate with him in that position, allowing his presence to no longer distract her. If that's where he wanted to be, who was she to argue?

Giving his head a quick scratch, the young woman slowly closed her eyes and slipped away into her mind.

Last edited by Elisabeth Black on Tue May 25, 2021 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 303
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

71 Ashan 721

Like Elisabeth, when plagued with more ghosts, Balthazar wished he had spent more time with Nimue. He enjoyed her company most of the time even though things had grown strenuous towards the end. The last time he saw her, that he could recall, was when he was on the ship over to Faldrass with the settlers. They spoke of the island, the plan, and the future... but now they did not speak very much at all. He thought she still watched but he was not sure that was accurate to what Nimue was doing. She was in the Beneath, he assumed, and she could only hear echos of the world he walked in unless she forced herself through... but perhaps with all the dead walking around Faldrass, Nimue would make an appearance. Perhaps not. Time would tell.

Elisabeth excused herself to go meditate on the beach and left with a warning that if she did not return it was because she was asleep on the beach. It took Balthazar until a few moments after Elisabeth left the building to realize why her idea seemed so odd to him. He understood why she chose the beach to meditate. Her connection to the elements combined the presence of many of them on the beach probably made it a nice place for her. Balthazar would have just sat on the floor. Without his link to the elements, it made no difference if he was on the floor in the house, outside the house, on the beach, or in the garden. When he began to meditate the world around him became less and the world inside became more. However he had just told her there were ghosts milling around Haven and she was going off, alone, to meditate on the beach.

Did she want to get possessed? They assumed the ghosts were harmless but they could easily have been wrong about that. Balthazar sighed and stood up, grabbing his katana and fastening it to his belt before moving to follow Elisabeth down to the beach. He wouldn't interrupt her but he wouldn't leave her alone with ghosts on the prowl either. After a few bits just standing and watching Elisabeth meditate on the beach, Balthazar walked over and sat down beside her to do the same. They were safer together than apart- and only part of that was because of the highly skilled Flame Trooper in the wings.

word count: 409

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Balthazar:

Knowledge: -
Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.

Elisa:

Knowledge:
Stealth - Move lightly
Stealth - Hiding behind a door to surprise someone
Detection - Noting the movement of the bed when one leaves it
Detection - Noting when something is missing when it shouldn't be (dagger)
Detection - Listening to your environment to ascertain danger
Detection - Being half asleep negatively affects one's ability to detect
Investigation - Taking into account the timing of unusual events
Meditation - Meditative state with a cat in one's lap requires practice

Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: First of all, I appreciate that you two wrote about a calendar event!

Balthazar’s first post where he heard a strange noise outside his house really made me curious. It makes sense that he thought that the ghost was Nimue. I wonder what happened to her, and I’m curious as to why the ghosts showed up just now as well. If they were the ghosts of the people that died during the eruption, wouldn’t they have shown up sooner?

Does he always sleep in the clothes he wears during the trial, by the way?

Elisabeth curiosity was described well. She really seems like someone who is always watching and listening and wants to know more, and it is obvious that she cares about Balthazar a great deal. I was also amused when she put her shirt on backwards. She was still quite sleepy, wasn’t she?

I like that Storm played a part!

That being said, I wonder if Kura will send copper and bells. In any case, Balthazar’s previous experience with ghosts will without a doubt be invaluable when it comes to dealing with this problem!

Elisa, I couldn't award you the following knowledge:

Tactics - Calling out in an unknown situation is not advisable

The part of the thread that you requested this knowledge for doesn't have anything to do with Tactics in my opinion. Elisa noticed that Balthazar was armed and decided to be quiet for that reason. Feel free to suggest a replacement knowledge!

Enjoy your rewards, and let me know if you have any questions, please!

word count: 373

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”