Nels of Glass

The shallow bay Egilrun is situated upon is used, these trials, for crafts and crafting. From boatmakers to weaponsmiths, glassblowers to metalworkers, the sound of hammers and saws can be heard almost every break of the trial, with crews working in shifts to produce the beautiful craftsmanship which they might, one trial, become famous for.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Woe
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Éminence grise
Renown: 1455
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Nels of Glass

Her thoughts on intentional ignorance was telling. It was presented in such a way that brought attention to the statement, although whether by design or accident he couldn’t quite tell just by talking. He began monitoring her tangle then, checking the tapestry of colors and context signals of various threads. It wasn’t intrusive, at least to his mind, and he didn’t normally manipulate without need. But he did like to take a peek at how various peoples’ tangles worked.

As they walked to the common room, there they found a seat, and Woe turned to the server that arrived at their table, rather promptly. It wasn’t very busy that night. ”I’ll have a glass of port.” Woe turned to Natalia, ”Get whatever you want, I’ll pay for it.” He offered.

She had a good sense of humor apparently, as her comments on the Council affirmed. And then the comment on smalltalk, which in itself seemed almost a form of it.

”Careful that you don’t edge into the trap of smalltalk merely by dint of talking about it.” Woe said dryly as he waited for the drinks, after Natalia would make her order.

She wondered what he’d ask of her next, and he shrugged. He was interested, but didn’t want to appear too forward. So he went with… smalltalk. What are you doing, how’s the weather, and what are your plans. It had its place in gathering information from persons of interest.

”Well, I wonder what your plans are, do you intend to stay in Egilrun for long? I only just enlisted with the Elements as a Trooper, and we’re probably going to head out to safeguard some civilians and caravans on their way to Scalvoristown tomorrow.” Woe looked toward the door to the VIP lounge reserved for Element Troopers, and shrugged, ”The trip would go better with a friendly face to pass the time with. Soldiers aren’t always the best of conversationalists.”

word count: 334
Image*Image*Image
Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Profession: Professional Nuisance Wrangler
Renown: 170
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Ashan 45, Arc 721
His comment about talking about smalltalk being a form of smalltalk made Natalia grin, just a bit. “I do promise not to bore you in that fashion.”

As they took their seats, he ordered port and she asked for the same. The young woman was oblivious to whatever abilities her companion was employing on her, but it would be clear that whatever he sensed of her regarding their interaction, was positive. Natalia didn’t agree to drinks with just anyone and more often than not sent men away with merely more than a word.

She watched him as he put forth a new set of questions, and a proposal. Waiting a beat while she considered what she wanted him to know, Natalia found herself waging war against her better judgement. Woe was asking for information that she didn’t normally allow one to have about her, and she was finding herself inclined to tell him.

Interesting.

Tapping her foot lightly against the floor, her golden eyes gazed over at him, wondering just exactly what would come flying out of her mouth unimpeded. A smile slipped free as she realized that the questions themselves were a certain form of smalltalk. Then again, he was using it for a specific purpose.

“I have no specific plans that can’t be altered. As far as Egilrun is concerned, I planned a few trials here but there isn’t anything specific that I wanted to accomplish.”
Sighing a bit, she realized she was losing the internal battle raging. Something made her want him to know her plans. “I currently live in Scalvoris-Town but I’m looking to see if there is someplace else in Scalvoris that draws me to it before I go through the process of settling in, finding a job, etc, etc. I’m not convinced Scalvoris-Town is the right fit, for several reasons.

Watching him, the offer was a curious thing. He had called her a ‘friendly face’ and while she would argue that that wasn’t always the case, she couldn’t deny that in comparison to how many of her other encounters with strange men went, their meeting was positively delightful. Woe must have also been enjoying their conversation, as he made mention of the certain lack of that skill on part of soldiers.

“I would be delighted to accompany you. I have no desire for you to fall prey to something such as poor conversation, Woe.”

The rest of the evening progressed, the conversation ranging over many topics and fields. She gained valuable insight into who he was through his words, and she was certain he was paying close attention to hers as well.

When they parted, saying their farewells for the evening after planning to meet up the following morning, Natalia let a small smile form as she watched him walk away.

Interesting.

[/googlefont][/align]
word count: 484
"A girl should be two things: who and what she wants."

Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Woe:

Knowledge:
Lethroda: Webspinning: Is a way of keeping tabs on various people.
Lethroda: Webspinning: Can be used to get a sense of what a person is feeling or their general surroundings.
Lethroda: Webspinning: Can spin only so many into your web, and empower it with Empathy.
Politics: Governance: Council politics is probably superior to Monarchy.
Politics: Governance: Blind Loyalty and miseducation can lead to an unruly populace.
Politics: Governance: An informed, represented populace is more likely to go along with it's government's decisions.
Politics: Revolution: Class divisions and poor quality of education can render a populace susceptible to being led into revolution.
Socialization: Spending the early night talking to a stranger.
Socialization: Buying a drink for a new acquaintance.
Socialization: Contact: Natalia Gregorios: Not an Element
Socialization: Making smalltalk isn't always unpleasant or dull.

Loot: Spun Natalia Gregorios into his Web (Lethroda: Webspinning)
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.

Natalia:

Knowledge:
Appraisal - Noting the quality of someone else's clothing
Appraisal - The quality of paper can correlate with properties, such as being treated
Discipline - Holding back information, even if you want to reveal it.
Discipline - Sometimes curiosity won't allow itself to be contained
Discipline - Being concise is a form of self-discipline
Discipline - Focusing on the target of your attention, blocking distractions
Discipline - Attempting to remain quiet in a library
Detection - Noting the age of a map based on appearance
Detection - Noting the color of one's eyes
Politics - Politics is a form of theater
Socialization: Contact: Woe Morandi - Elements - Land Division

Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: I always enjoy the description of Woe’s outfits, and the relationship with his magic. It makes sense that the Arcane Gaoler gets thrilled at the sight of Slag’s Deep. I wonder if that is another reason why Woe has spent so much time in Egilrun recently – the prison under it!

Natalia’s curiosity about Woe’s map and her being so insightful reminded me a bit about Elisa, but she is quite different from her in most other regards, a young woman who has lived a life of wealth and boredom behind, but still clings to some aspects of it. I like how you convey that in your writing.

When I started reading, I thought that this would be a simple meet and greet. I like how Woe and Natalia pretty much skipped the usual small talk and went straight to discussing the map and a number of other, complex topics. That made this thread quite enjoyable!

I thought that Natalia’s views on maps and how they show what the mapmaker wants you to see were interesting, and I still remember the adventure with the mountain king where Woe got that scent. That is a rather unique ability, I have to admit. I like that it still plays a part!

I look forward to reading Natalia’s and Woe’s next thread.

Natalia, I decided not to award you the following knowledge:

Intelligence - Woe Morandi - Elements - Land Division

Your PC was not collecting information on Woe in that regard. Woe just introduced himself to her.

Feel free to suggest a replacement knowledge!

Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 547

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Egilrun”