[Hopetoun] Planning for the new arrival(s).

27th of Ashan 721

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1724
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Hopetoun] Planning for the new arrival(s).

27th Ashan 721

They were both up and about early that morning. Vega had not really slept much at all and Arlo never slept much. When he looked at her as she sat down next to him, she replied to the question he hadn't asked. "I feel sick as a dog," she said, putting a mug of coffee into his hands. "An' I want to cry. All the time." Looking at him, tears sprang to her eyes and she glared at him. "I swear, I'll pound you. My emotions are all over the place, an' I'm scared about this reality. But," and the last one was important. She emphasised the "but" so that he heard it. "I'm happy. Settled, an' happy, an' right where I want to be."
Parchment
Then, she sipped her own tea and pulled a face. "Ginger an' peppermint. Works wonders for feelin' sick." Looking at it accusingly, though, she sighed. "Tastes vile. But everythin' does. It's like I've got this weird sensation in my mouth. Like, somehow, everythin' tastes muted, you know?" Shaking her head, she considered. "I don't know no woman who's been pregnant, so I don't know what's right an' normal an' what's not." Gently, just for a moment, she leaned against him. Not long, but long enough. "So, anyhow, this mornin', I asked Lily to try an' draw this beacon for me. I want to be able to describe it, you know? Anyhow, she's not totally useless, turns out." And Vega showed him the parchment.

"It's a phoenix tree," Vega said. "Which means it's fire resistant. An' the spiral staircase is made with gemini wood. It's shinin' silver, like metal. An' it's resistant to the weather." Showing him what she meant, she then pointed to the observatory like place, on the top of the tree. "That's goin' to be like a place where we make jam, an' on top it's the beacon itself. Doran's goin' to make glass what's phos..phis.. glowy. An' then he's goin' to make mirrors out of the glowy-glass an' he took my blood so he can make the light full of hope. Oh!" She tapped the bit which had the spiral stairs. "Hangin' from those stairs are goin' to be lanterns made with the glowy glass. It's goin' to be well pretty, innit?"

She looked at him and smiled, but her expression was serious. "But, all of that is all well an' good. There's people arrivin' here." She glanced out to the ocean. "Former slaves, from Rharne. An' we're goin' to need to look after them. I've written to Lady Saoire, but we need to sort out stuff ourselves, too." She was, as always, keen to just get on and do things.

"So, I'm goin' to take Wren an' we're goin' to sort out askin' people for help. Any an' all donations of time or money." She nodded. "I've been thinkin' I don't know where they'll go long term. I mean, I reckon that's their decision, an' Darius' as to whether he's up for them stayin' here if they want to." She shrugged slightly. "But in the short term, they'll need lookin' after an' we need to make sure that we're not disruptin' the place too much. " She looked at him and grinned. "Will you get lots of good food, ready? I'm thinkin' a real hearty soup or stew, with a load of bread. An' those potatoes what stay warm all the time, the Faldrass Potato too? I got the fences up, an' so we've got lots of herbs an' things, an' Sir Chip sped up the orchard, too. Also, I sent the boys an' they got loads of things, includin' bakers wheatwort, cocolimes an' all sorts. Those purple smash things, too." They'd gotten quite the haul 10WP worth after all.

"But they'll need somewhere to sleep, too, so I were thinkin' that I'd set up a camp for them? Except, we don't know how many of them there are. So, I'm thinkin' a camp for twenty people? That way, if there's forty, then they can use it twice, an' if there's hundred's it'll be useless." She grinned at him, putting her cup down and leaning into him, snuggling against him. "I love the community, Arlo, here. It's right nice. But it's all so permanent. I'd like to start an unsettled-ment. Vardos over land, an' boats at sea, carts an' camps, an' a movin', livin' community. Farmers who have gardens on the roof, an' things like that." She shrugged against him and hugged herself to him. "Mind you, this lot are enough to make me wanna punch them into next arc, so maybe it's not a good idea." Chuckling, Vega rested against him.

She was quiet for a moment, then "Arlo?" She would deny that she was capable of even sounding pensive, but she did. "Do you know if curses from Immortals pass down? Cos I've got this curse from where I punched the waste of skin in the gob." She didn't look at him, he'd see the worry in her eyes, in the colours swirling in them. So, she held on to him and deluded herself completely that he wouldn't know how concerned she was. "An' I don't like the fact that this child is his grand-baby, but it isn't. Not in any way what matters. What I really don't like is that he's responsible for sirein' me." She sighed, just slightly. "An' I know that your Papa an' my Papa, they'll be it's grandpas, an' Cassion too, o'course. But I don't know about this curse, you know?" Yep, she thought. She'd done well. She sounded breezy and not really bothered. Curious, but not worried. Interested, but not concerned. Oh yes. She'd done great.

And, nestled against his chest, he'd feel her smile. "I'm foolin' no one, am I?" Lifting her head, she looked at him. "I'm right worried about it. Do you know how we might find out?"
word count: 1061

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Cassion's Champion
Renown: 820
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Re: [Hopetoun] Planning for the new arrival(s).

"Sick as a dog, weepy, unpredictable moods," Arlo said, ticking off some of what she'd said with a mild grin, when Vega sat down beside him. "Afraid and happy both at once." Well then, he teased with a nudge of her shoulder with his. "Sounds like things are progressing as expected." Or so Arlo had been told when he'd confided just a break or two ago that at times, though he wasn't complaining, in Jonas that at times, he felt a bit as if he was walking on eggshells. Mostly, Jonas had just thumped him on the back and laughed at his plight.

"From what I understand, or so Jonas has led me to believe, it all sounds perfectly normal. At least it's much of what my own mother complained of." Who knew. It was something that he'd never experience for himself in the same way that Vega was. And to be honest, he was grateful for it. "Drink your tea," he said, smiling as he took the parchment, and then took a good long look at the drawing. "I like it, a lot," he said, firstly before she went any further. "The aesthetics of the thing, as if the structure has grown naturally in and around the tree." Fire resistance was also good, for obvious reasons.

But a jam kitchen and a beacon? Arlo had heard of stranger things coming in pairs, but this was one for the books. Still, he liked it and said so. "All the better that it's fireproof, yes?" he said, grinning. "Very nice, all of it. It'll be a sight to see, function and beauty combined." He knew about the freed slaves, however, and figured that this place was probably as good as any to make a new start. Welcoming them, and then giving them aid was an important part of that. Anyhow, "Yes," he said, regarding the food. The haul would certainly help in that regard. "Things to warm and fill the belly and stick to the ribs."

Of course it would mean changing menus around in order to feed a larger number of people all at once. Stews and soups, loaves of bread and so on were best for that sort of thing. But then Vega went on to talking about setting up camps and all sorts of other arrangements. And Arlo frowned just a bit in response. It was all very noble, of course, and all very her to do it. However, "Don't overdo it, alright? Know when to step back and rest."

But naturally, all that chatter and planning and explaining was laid over a deeper concern for Vega, which Arlo had suspected was there all along. Not that particular concern. But he knew there'd been more on her mind. And when she revealed it, he didn't look surprised. He hadn't thought of it himself, but it didn't seem unreasonable to wonder about curses, or even blessings being passed down. Problem was, he didn't have that answer. "I don't know, to be honest," he admitted. "I mean, we inherit plenty from our parents, grandparents too. Eye or hair color, tone...I like to think I've got my mother's eyes and Cassion's chin," he said, teasing her just a bit.

"Traits and personality quirks too, I figure. But blessings or in this case, curses? To be honest, I just don't know." He thought on it a few trills longer, and then shrugged. "I suppose we might find something on the topic in a book somewhere, or by asking another mortalborn with children. Or, I'm not sure. I'd ask Cassion if I could ever predict when and where he'd turn up next." There was no denying that his Immortal father wasn't exactly one to make himself available on call. A face to face with him mostly relied on luck and happenstance or some other event that had managed to capture his interest.
word count: 672
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

27th Ashan 721

He'd been talking to Jonas? Vega glanced at Arlo and smiled. "You sharin' your worries an' woes with your Papa?" Resting her head against his shoulder, she considered thoughtfully, "you know, Arlo, I reckon that Mr Creede might jus' become the best source of information for us. I don't like to ask my Papa," she said quietly. "Between her dyin' givin' birth an' him findin' out that Faldrun did that, I think it's a topic best kept away from." She knew her father well and she knew that he was worried about her. It wasn't at all surprising, given his own experiences with women he loved giving birth, but Vega wouldn't hold on to that worry with him and he did his best to not show it around her.

He liked the idea of the jams, and so on, and Vega smiled. "It's a beacon of hope, that's what Xiur wanted. So, I thought we'd call it 'Nella' s Kitchen' or even 'Nana's Kitchen', an' make peach an' pecan jam, an' bring people hope an' warmth, an' somethin' tasty." Twisting slightly to look at him directly, Vega's smile was tinged with sadness as she lifted her hand to his cheek. She didn't say anything, just looked at him and then leaned forward the few inches needed to kiss him. There didn't need to be words, because they just wouldn't do anything.

Except, of course, "Shurrup, you dweeb," when he told her not to 'overdo' it. She nodded, though. "I'm goin' to say this jus' once, Arlo Creede, an' I want you to hear it proper." Her gaze on him was intent, her eyes still and largely static in colour - but the colours were pink and green and gold ~ all very positive ones. "There is no one on Idalos, not the fussin' frenzy of the clan, not my Papa or yours, no one, not even you, who wants this baby safe more than I do." She was entirely serious, but there was no sense of annoyance. "I promise you that I will not be takin' any risks." None. She had believed herself unable to carry children and this child was more wanted than she had words to express.

Equally, she knew, it was that wanted by both of them. "So. Since there's no one who wants it more, an' only one person what wants it jus' the same," she said with a gentle (ish) thump to his shoulder. "Here's the deal." Putting down her tea, she scooched over so that she was as close to him as she could be and she leaned against him. When he wrapped his arms around her, Vega smiled and took his hand, placing it on her stomach which - as far as she could tell - had not changed at all. "This is our granitee, Arlo. An' I get to grow it, but it's both of ours. So, while I'm pregnant an' not for one moment longer, we both get a vote. An' we only do it, if it's unanimous." It was unlike Vega to be so prone to cuddling, but her emotions were heightened and the overwhelming one she felt was at the forefront.

"An' if I think you're bein' unreasonable, or jus' fussin', or whatever it is?" Vega smiled against him. "I'll put it down to you bein' over -emotional, weepy, an' with unpredictable moods, alright?" There was no one born who would tell Vega what she could or couldn't do on any given trial - and in many ways, this was exactly the same. "An' I won't like it, but I'll go along with it. Because one trial, you're goin' to be takin' this baby out jus' you an' Granitee," the baby, it seemed, had a name. "An' I'm goin' to say to you, 'Arlo, make sure you do this, an' that, an' don't do this. On that trial, when you've got our baby with you an' I'm not the one carryin' it, but you are, I'm goin' to expect you to take my wishes into account, even if you think I'm a plonker." It made perfect sense to her. "So, we start that now. Whichever one of us is carryin' the baby, we both are still it's parents, an' we both get a say."

Vega never thought she'd see the day, but here it was. They got to decide, to parent together, from day one. And that meant compromises for her, while she was pregnant. "So, I'm thinkin' that I'll get Huw an' Reese to help me, an' they can do the liftin' an' carryin' an' stuff? I'm better at it, I can set the camp up better. But if I tell them, they do, that'll take longer but that's ok. What do you think?" Compromise, it seemed to her, was possible. She could direct, lead, that kind of thing. "An' I can do the lighter load stuff. Things like stuffin' the beds with the sand, that sort of thing."

Their conversation moved to curses and she nodded. "I reckon Xiur might pop by to see the beacon when it's done, you know." She smiled slightly and then he felt her relax in his arms, the tension in her shoulders which had been there dissipating. "I know how stupid it is, but I hadn't thought about blessin's too," she said. "Well, now I feel foolish. I mean, what's to worry about?" Thinking it through, she considered it. "One useless curse versus my magic freckles?" It was half bluff and bravado, but it was also entirely true. Still, she thought. "But it don't hurt to ask, next time we see one o' them?" Cassion, Xiur, Daia, whichever immortal it was.
word count: 991

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

When Vega smiled in response to the idea that he'd been talking to Jonas about the, soon to be, new arrival to the family, Arlo grinned a little and shrugged. "Well, you know, he likes to be in the thick of things, even as an observer," he said, as if that was the only reason that he'd have turned to his mortal father for advice. Of course Vega knew better, but Arlo had never been comfortable discussing deep, worrisome or emotional things. Not even with those he was closest too. He'd just rather assume that they knew.

At any rate, he figured she might be right about Jonas being a good source of information. "He's all I ever knew as a father, really, growing up, although I know now that Cassion has been looking in, now and again." Or at least, that was according to Cassion himself. "From my perspective, he was a better father than most I was familiar with...my friends and such. Even if I sometimes felt I was disappointing him by not taking to farming." It was much later however that Arlo had learned that Jonas hadn't been disappointed at all. He'd always known in a sense, and had expected as much. "He only wishes that my mother was here to enjoy it with him."

When she told him her plans for naming the place, however, it renewed Arlo's smile once again. "Nella's Kitchen? She'd like that, you know, to know that little bit of her legacy lives on. I would too. Thank you. And you know, if you're going to make those preserves, if it's to be like hers, don't forget that little dash of bourbon." Not to worry though, he explained. The alcohol burned away in the process with only that nice hint of a little something extra left behind.

As for whether she'd take risks, or no, and who'd decide what was or what wasn't and when, he shook his head and laughed. As if she could stop him worrying about such a thing, and saying so. "You know that won't stop me, don't you? But I'll try to keep at least a loose fitted lid on the impulse. And I'd worry for you, just as much as the child in your belly. Same as you would for me." And, he couldn't recall a time when she'd failed to point out her thoughts on any actions of his that she'd thought to be foolish. Fair game, Arlo figured. "Deal," he said, so far as them both having a say. Impulse control, or lack thereof, being a very real thing.

"Right, no lifting," Arlo agreed. "And you're a natural at giving directions so I think that'll work just fine." He grinned a little again, but it was true. Vega never shied away from letting her thoughts and expectations be known. "You shouldn't feel foolish about not thinking of blessings being passed along in some way. I hadn't either till now," he admitted. For that matter, he hadn't given much thought to how them both being mortalborn would impact their own child's lifespan, if at all. "No, it wouldn't hurt to ask, if only for curiosity' sake," he said. "And if Xiur would show up for the finished beacon, he might be just the one to ask.
word count: 581
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

27th Ashan 721

Vega could more or less imagine what the conversation was between Arlo and his Papa. There would be silences, sentences which did not say what either of them was feeling, and the topic would be her and her emotions ~ they'd have a subtext of men talking together about the complete conundrum that was any woman at all. Of course, while all of that was what they said, none of that was what Arlo and his Papa were actually talking about. But there was support in the silences, understanding in the unspoken, and the two men basically had a whole conversation without words - and it was exactly what Arlo needed.

What Arlo also needed, of course, was not to then discuss it with her. That suited Vega just fine; she had no wish to get in to deep and meaningfuls with Arlo. They didn't need it, it didn't help them. Trying to explain with words what they both felt, both knew was way beyond words and which they both understood? That was just stupid. They knew everything they needed to. They both had concerns, fears, unknowns as far as this pregnancy was concerned. Equally? They both knew what was, and so there was no point doing anything angsty. Angst, after all, was a pointless thing.

Arlo spoke of his childhood, and Vega considered it. Looking at him, she spoke her thoughts. "I know you, Arlo Creede." Reaching out, she gently stroked his cheek. "Every tiny bit of you. I can look at you, an' I know what you feel. You know what I do." She didn't doubt that. "Words aren't important to us, neither one." Thinking about it, she frowned as she tried to be clear with the clumsiness which were words. "I don't want this baby to be in any doubt. If our baby ever thinks she's disappointin' us, she's wrong." Vega was sure of that. "An' I know that, an' you know that an' we don't need to say it between us. But maybe we need to tell her." She smiled, softly. "Like your Mama. You were never in any doubt with her. I want to be like her. Like that."

He liked the idea of "Nella's Kitchen" and Vega felt a wave of happiness at that. He started talking to her about the recipe though, and Vega shook her head. "What're you tellin' me for, Creede? You think anyone other than you is makin' those recipes?" She shook her head. "She wouldn't trust you to do it right, but you'd be the best out of a bad lot, wouldn't you? You are the Pickle-meister. Besides," she added. Her voice was as light, as teasing as it had been. "I'm not lettin' anyone other than her son be the one who decides what gets made there. The King of Chutney an' Jam. All hail." She grinned, bringing what she hoped was some levity.

There was no part of him that wasn't Nella's boy. Just like there was no part of this pregnancy which wasn't theirs. "We worry for each other, aye," she said. "But I know your limits, an' you know mine. Or, usually you do. Right now though? We neither one of us understand this, an' that's important to understand." There was some idea that she understood things because she was the one experiencing it, but she didn't. "So you fuss away, Arlo. I worry every time there's somethin' new, because I don't know. I don't know what's good an' what's not. An' I feel like a right pillock for fussin', but if you fuss too I feel a bit better."

Resting herself against him, Vega nestled into his arms. She heard his words regarding not feeling foolish, but she couldn't quite help it. "I trust you," she said softly. "You an' me, we can work this out together. Or mess it up together. I dunno. I'm goin' to make clothes an' blankets an' things. I can put an emotion into things, things what I sew. So I thought I'd put calm into things. You know. Calm. Sleepy. Not fussin'." She grinned, then sighed, then nestled a little more. "Arlo?" She lifted her head to look at him and leaned forward to kiss him softly, lingering gently. "I know that there's a hundred other people an' things involved. Papas an' Immortals an' cousins an' hoobab the boobab. But this is you an' me. It's all I need." She lowered her head and smiled against him. "If Faldrun turns up, I'm goin' to punch him again. Jus' so you know. Really hard." She smiled at the thought.

"Really, really hard."

word count: 806

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

It was true that the relationship between Arlo and his mortal father was exactly what he needed it to be. But the same might be said for Jonas. And from his perspective, wasn't it just the usual way between men? No matter how self aware and in touch a man might be with who and what he was, there was simply a difference in approaches between men and women. At least there was from Arlo's perspective. Nella had been the soft touch, and yet now that he thought about it, she hadn't been one to air her feelings out in the open, particularly in mixed company.

As an adult, he'd come to believe that much of what Nella was thinking or feeling, she jealously kept to herself. Some of those things might have revolved around Cassion. And it was probably the case that Jonas knew it too. As for him and words and Vega being just as alright with quiet as with words. He grinned a little and shrugged. "That's a good thing then, and we're well matched. Always have been more of a do or show, than say." But no, when it came to their child, whatever that child needed, she or he would have, and there'd be no reason to be left wondering.

"My mother would want more than anything else, for you to be you," he said, even though he understood the spirit of what Vega had said. He couldn't be accused of impartiality when it came to his mother. But if there was something to aspire to, even just a little, there could hardly have been a better example to look to. However, "She was the mother I needed her to be. You will be the mother our child needs you to be. However that comes to look or feel."

The idea of the kitchen however caused the grin to return to his face. "If there were actual recipes for her jams, they were all stored in here," he said, reaching up and tapping two fingers against his temple. "During all of my childhood, I never once witnessed her consulting a book or sheet of paper. I'm not even sure she owned a proper measuring spoon. Cooking for her was like painting or sculpting for somebody else."

At any rate, "You fuss as much as you need to," he told her, a gentle bump against her shoulder with his own. "But between worrying about the things you don't know or how it might turn out, take the time to enjoy the right now. Every right now along the way, can be the best part of all." Theirs would certainly be a well dressed baby, and Arlo knew that Vega could put such a part of herself into what she created, that it would be unique in all the world. But if Faldrun turned up to have a look at the new arrival? "You'll have to get in line to punch him, I'll do my best to be first in line." Then there was Cassion and Arlo couldn't help but add, "Cassion might want to have a look, between one of his death defying adventures and the next. In light of that, I'd suggest that we think twice before asking him to perform babysitting duty," he teased.
word count: 564
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Player Name: Mr. Creede

Points awarded: 15
Magic xp: none

Knowledge:

Storytelling: x 2
Caregiving: x 3
Socialization: x 3

Player Name: Mrs. Creede

Points awarded: 15
Magic xp: none

Knowledge:

Logistics: x 2
Caregiving: x 3
Socialization: x 3

Renown: 0
Loot: Arranged for Arlo to cook for the refugees when they start arriving.
Injuries/Overstepping: None
Wealth Points: None

Skill Review: All Skills used appropriately to PC's level
Notes: Oh my, the baby has a name?? And it’s Granitee!? That’s a nice name, and it looks like Vega has an instinct that it’s a girl. I suppose we’ll find out if she’s right in a few cycles.

That said, this was a nice heart=to-heart between Vega and Arlo. There wes a lot of hand-wringing, as you’d expect of… expecting parents. Lots of talk of things that could go wrong or would go wrong, and then concerns about their Immortal parentage. It was all very well dealt with.

I enjoyed Arlo’s suggestion that they not hire on Cassion for baby-sitting duty.

And I do wonder if cursed individuals pass on their curses in certain situations? That was an interesting thought by Vega, but I’m sure nothing like that will happen to the baby. That’d be nasty.

Anyway, great writing!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this review, feel free to PM. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 242
Avatar provided by the wonderful Pegasus
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”