[The Forging] Souls

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Re: [The Forging] Souls

Hart bled.

Not a little bit - Hart bled a lot. Yeva checked him out, and as far as she could tell it was just a normal - if rather explosive - nose bleed. She checked his blood but she was careful - his blood did not touch her skin.

Then, they continued onwards - once Hart had given a lot of thought to things. The crow ignored him entirely. Woe might notice that it was almost as though the crow didn't see him or hear him. Strange.

But then, they moved and they went to the room.

In there, Woe saw a child's pacifier. Hart saw a plant which certainly did not belong here.

Yeva saw her journal. As she knelt to pick it up, Yeva felt herself falling into it. Falling, falling, down into darkness. Someone with a lesser constitutionExpert Endurance would have passed out completely, but she felt dizziness overwhelm her and threaten to send her into unconsciousness. Hunger gnawed at her and she felt more ravenous than she had ever felt before. It threatened to overwhelm her, so strong was it's draw.

The journal fell from her hands and burst into flames.

They looked like ice.

Nir'wei found a tooth SECRET OBJECTIVE UNLOCKED!. When he picked it up, he almost dropped it because it was freezing cold. But then, in his hand, it changed colour and he felt it thrum against him. He didn't know it, of course, but it beat to the exact rhythm of the one which currently hung on a thong around Arlo's neck and which, in turn, was inextricably bound to the tiger with Darius.

Nir'wei prayed.

Nothing happened. Except for a single strange thing. Suddenly the room was filled with the scent of spring flowers and there, in front of them, grew a plant. It grew from nothing to six foot in height in a matter of seconds and it's leaves were enormous. Nir'wei heard Cassion's words in the Temple.

And the next person who spoke? Ralgar understood them perfectly. And they, him. Where Yeva's journal had been mere moments before, there was now a gaping hole in the floor and Yeva, dizzy but conscious, was kneeling next to it.

Info & Rules

• This thread is for those who have gone to Scaltoth in direct response to this thread
  • Ok, lovelies! Please remember that this is as cold as Ishallr normally is.
  • Due to the time-sensitive nature of this, I can not hold out for people to post. If you miss a round, there will (I'm afraid) be consequences.
  • This style of event moderation - with objectives etc - was taught to me by a dear friend and one of the most talented Storytellers I've ever known. With thanks to Crimson / Straylor.
 ! Message from: Reminder
There are no required skill levels for this.
It is - undoubtedly - dangerous. It's a war.
What will get you hurt is NOT if you are low skilled. What will get you hurt is doing something foolish. There's plenty for everyone to do.
Equally, being highly skilled is not a guarantee of anything. This will need teamwork and smarts.

Current State

! Message from: Current State
Group
  • Arrived at destination
  • Met Ralgar
  • Assigned a group leader
  • Got ready to go across the water
  • Noted the unusual phenomenon
  • Noted the water as frozen solid
  • Made their way across
  • Arrived in the ruins.
  • Explored the ruins.
  • Gone down into the ruins.
  • Noted the carvings
  • Found a chainstone
  • Found a plant
Individuals
  • Woe You are managing against the cold, but you're feeling it. You are not yet tired. You not hungry.
  • Hart You are managing against the cold, your Ezere abilities are negating it. You are not yet tired. You are not hungry.
  • Ralgar You are managing against the cold, but you're feeling it. You are not yet tired. You are not hungry.
  • Yeva You are managing against the cold, your Fire Forged abilities are negating it. You are not yet tired. You are dangerously hungry.
  • Nir'wei You are managing against the cold, your Fire Forged abilities are negating it. You are not yet tired. You are not hungry.

Objectives

You need to decide about the chainstone, people.

DiriCom

This round:
  1. You have a rough idea what is happening in the other groups. Please note the Summary posts of the Life and Death post - and yes - you hear about Delroth :D
  2. You hear exactly what's going on in Command.
  3. From Doran: “This is a mission that can only succeed if we all work together. Don’t just forge ahead blindly – ask questions, and listen, and stay together. I told you that magic is malfunctioning before. I have a message for the mages among you now. There is an imbalance of ether. Mages are feeling drained of ether and overstep more quickly” also: “The ScalvFlame is a flame of four. That could mean that there need to be four in each group in order to release the Induks. Keep in mind what I previously said. Stay together, if you can”,
  4. From Doran: “There are rumours of Slag’s Deep having white sand. Do you know anything about that? I found out about Drainglass, a glass that drains ether – all kinds of ether, including divine ether. It seems to be manufactured in large quantities"
  5. From Doran: “It seems as if your sister Labrae might be involved. What kind of motives could she have? What kind of interest could she have in Hart’s daughter and the current conflict?”
Next Post: Sunday 6th June
word count: 931
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Woe
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Éminence grise
Renown: 1455
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

As they moved down the way, Hart asked questions of Labrae. He introduced himself polite as can be, as always. There was always an understated innocence with the way Hart presented himself to the world, but there was nothing uncouth or rude or forward about the innocence. He was for lack of a better word, gentle in the way he showed himself to the world. It put people at ease and was something Woe wished he could learn.

Yet, as the moments ticked by, Labrae didn't respond or even seem to acknowledge that Hart was there. Woe furrowed his brow curiously and turned to Labrae's crow. "Sister, did you not hear Hart? He asked you if Audrae has done something to him or Ruari?" Woe repeated the man's question to her, but then turned forward, making his way through the room, and over toward the pacifier in the corner.

Woe turned to Nir'wei then, as Hart told him to relate what he was saying to command. "Nir'wei, would you make sure they receive what he's telling us? I need to check something out."

So saying, Woe moved over toward the wooden pacifier, that was just lying on the ground. It appeared carved of smooth wood, laminated with some form of wood glaze to prevent it from splintering upon a child's lips or tongue. He picked it up, and looked at it. Oddly, a thought occurred to him that was entirely unrelated and irrelevant to the moment at hand. But one that he wished to take advantage of nonetheless, as his sister was there to receive his question, "Labrae... Why didn't our mother raise me, as she did you? Instead, I was left on the doorstep of a man who enslaved me."

Woe thought on it a moment and didn't want to consider that it might've been some social experiment. Or else through a sense of blithe disregard for males of her line. It was observed in nature that males were second class when it came to Arachnids and their interactions. Perhaps that was why?

In either case, he didn't linger too long in his curiosity, before he took up the pacifier, and moved over toward where the others were. It was around then that there was a flash of fire, and a hole began spreading out before Yeva. She looked dazed, and about to fall into it. Woe stuffed the pacifier into his pocket and lunged to gather Yeva in his arms before she'd fall, to pull her back from its edge if he could.

"No slipping into dark holes unheeded..." Woe said to Yeva, "Like Doran said, we need to stick together. But if it means going into that abyssal oubliette..."

Woe turned to Nir'wei, and waited on his instruction, if he had a plan. He'd suggested only moments before that they separate, yet WOe was reluctant. He really thought that was a terrible idea, but even so, he would go along with it as long as Nir'wei explained the utility of such an action.

As he waited for Nir'wei's directions, he sent along with a response to Doran, through his diri of Commerce, "I don't know why Labrae is interested in Hart's Daughter, or this crisis in general. She appears to revile Audrae. Perhaps it has something to do with my sister's domains. Crows, Abduction, Brainwashing (indoctrination). I don't know."

Woe sighed, as he tried to hold onto Yeva. She looked very pale. "Yeva, you should eat something." So saying, he took out one of the rations from his satchel, and slipped it over to her. He wasn't yet hungry, but she looked almost as if she hadn't for days. "Are you ill?"

Woe sighed, as Labrae's crow continued to perch on his shoulder. He watched the plant that grew right before them, from nothing up to six feet, with several enormous leaves. Woe frowned, wondering if this was in some answer to Nir'wei's prayer. He looked to the wolf-tamer for a potential explanation.
word count: 693
Image*Image*Image
Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The group convened as Yeva’s sole focus became the strange journal that should have been burned away in Faldrass. So much so, that the young woman failed to notice the gnawing hunger that had begun to stir and strengthen. It soon consumed her, twisting inside her, like a knife in her belly, making her limbs heavy and breathing laborious. She was tired.

No, she was weakened.

It was a familiar wave of nausea, not alarming except in its sheer power. Her fingers loosened marginally and she stumbled back, the tome slipping from her fingers. It hit the floor and exploded in a flame of... ice?

The floor opened its mouth, threatening to consume her and for a moment, Yeva thought it might. She teetered on its edge, peering into the endless void and had to clench her fist to avoid losing her light stone and her balance.

A pair of hands caught her and drew her back, a splash of dark hair in her peripheral. Woe’s voice rolled over her shoulder and she tilted her chin to look at him, a bit dazed and very confused, “It was the book, it...” her voice trailed off, and she found herself looking at the bird. Labrae? Two glossy eyes watched the scene and Yeva quieted, holding up her light source as she tried to regain her footing.

Woe words were not reprimanding, at least she did not interpret them that way, and even managed to make her smile despite the fact. He asked her if she was ill, bringing up the prospect of food.

At once, the redhead seemed to visibly brighten, “All this excitement and I must have forgotten to eat,” she managed, patting her savior on the arm while taking mental note of her symptoms. Feverish but no fever. Lathargy, pangs of hunger. It was nothing unnatural, “I’m starving.”

Ravenous.

Her eyes followed his movements and she grinned at the sight of food. She had her own rations but somehow being offered someone else’s was... it was thoughtful, “Are you sure?” she asked, although Yeva was already plucking the piece of dried meat from his palm after taking off her gloves.

Yeva couldn’t remember the last time she was so hungry. With little tact, she tore of strip of the meat between her teeth and began to chew, humming with the promise of relief. The spices sparked flavor across her tongue, “I can go down there,” she added between bites, referring the the hole, “If someone wants to lower me? We’d need to try and gauge the depth and what’s on the bottom,,” As if to sell the idea, she reached towards her bag and pulled out a bundle of rope.

Then, “We could wrap up the chain stone... that should let us put it in our bag,” She continued to eat quickly, bouncing between men, “It might be good to keep moving. We don’t really know what challenges we might face.. but, if we’re stuck waiting on the others in Ishallr, I could make always make lunch.”

The forced timing and severity of her starvation was the only thing that made her less apologetic for taking a food break, “A fire and a bit of broth might cheer us up,” It would certainly help with the temperature, which Ralgar and his translator seemed to be fending off well enough, “Cassion’s blessing can let a little go a long way.”

She chewed another bite and swallowed, scooting closer to the hole. For better or worse, she had discovered it, “Would any of you go with me?”

Woe certainly didn’t seem keen on what the discovery but it was worth asking. After all, Nir’wei wanted her to find the rest.
Last edited by Yeva on Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 631
Hart
Approved Character
Renown: 527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

30th Ashan, 721

Yeva said he needed to tell them if his symptoms worsened, and Hart nodded. Nir'wei said not to use his abilities, and Hart nodded once more. He went to one knee when Nir'wei handed him the lantern, in order to light it. The lantern lit, Hart let out a slow breath, his eyes shutting momentarily, and let the light of Ymiden go out with his breath.

There was no bleeding when the light went out, and Hart breathed in. Looking at the shadows, he moved so that Yeva's lightstone and Nir'wei's lantern would minimize the darkness.

If only fear was so simple to minimize. It was becoming more and more difficult for Hart to move on, with the fear. It was Audrae and her shadows; it was Ruari, and the possibility that she'd been compromised;

You left the child there.

It was the mazelike tunnel; it was being underground; it was the bleeding, and the possibility that Audrae had compromised him as well.

And it was more than that. It was Nir'wei at the glass temple saying that he shouldn't be involved. Hart was involved now, and he'd had the nosebleed when he'd attempted to maintain a light-based ability. There were other details that weighed in his mind.

There was the crow speaking, "Shrouded in shadow, marked by the Dark One's taint," and then, "You're being watched from every shadow"; there was the feeling that he was being watched before, and not feeling like he was being watched now despite what the crow had said; there were the details about Ruari; Ruari being blinded to him;

there was the crow being blinded to him now.

The crow didn't respond when he spoke and Hart said quietly, "It's like Ruari. She was blinded to me in the vault."

The details weighed on him. "But why?" he said in a low voice.

Nir'wei said that they were stuck, and it was like Hart had been struck in the gut. They were locked in here, like Hart had been locked in the vault. Like he'd been locked in so many other situations and locations; the labyrinth, the Maze, the events leading up to the Fall of Emea, the Door of Death, the basement in Melrath.

He was afraid.

Was that why? he thought in the midst of the fear.

Nir'wei said that what they were doing didn't matter, and Hart said breathlessly, "No." It was more of a breath than a word; he said it once more, so that Nir'wei would look at him. "No."

Did Audrae need them to be afraid?

"When you released the induk on Faldrass, you didn't know about the balance of Scalvoris. But you released Faldrass, no matter the difficulties."

"Should Ishallr group fail," Hart said breathlessly, and thought of Faldrass falling into the water, "And should Sweetwine group fail..."

"The difficulties the groups are going through, the difficulties we're going through," the difficulties Hart was going through, with the fear, "Don't matter. What we do now matters, despite it all."

He said quietly, "What we do now matters. It matters a lot."

Nir'wei prayed to his father and with that, Hart moved to the windows. He looked out at the moons and thought, Treid. He looked out at the water and thought, U'frek. But what did Treid and U'frek have to do with the Ruins of Fei? Chrien was Fei's daughter; did Treid and U'frek have something to do with Fei, like Chrien did?

Ralgar spoke about the carvings on the walls, and Hart looked over at him. Ralgar said that the carvings were Bro'ky'na, and Hart noticed the fear when he spoke. But Hart said, "Audrae is Deception, Secrecy, Shadows, Fear."

Audrae needed them to be afraid. Fear was her Domain.

"It's possible Audrae deceived your people," Hart said. "She's deceived so many people throughout this, that it would be out of character if she hadn't deceived the Bro'ky'na as well. It's possible that the Bro'ky'na that made the carvings knew what Audrae was doing here, and made the carvings so that if others got to this place, they too would know."

"It's also possible that Audrae made the Bro'ky'na afraid of the ruins."

"I've been afraid," Hart said. "There are a lot of things to be afraid of. My daughter was kidnapped by Audrae; I was kidnapped, and locked in a vault." It was possible they were compromised.

"But Fear is Audrae's Domain, and I shouldn't let Audrae have Domain over me." Hart looked at Ralgar and his translator. The Bro'ky'na were who they were. They were not who Audrae needed them to fear they were.

"You shouldn't let Audrae have Domain over you."

With Nir'wei's prayer, a great flower grew from the stone of the ruins. Hart didn't know what the flower was for, but he thought that Nir'wei did.

When Yeva said that they should wrap the stone and move on, Hart said, "If you need something to wrap it with, I don't need the clothing I have in my supplies. I have the clothing, in the event that it's needed." Like with the Ishallr group. But not like with the Ishallr group, "The cold doesn't affect me."

As long as the stone was wrapped and one of them, preferably Nir'wei, had it, Hart would move toward the hole in the ground. If Yeva needed more rations, Hart would offer her some of his as well.

"I'll go with Yeva," Hart said. He looked at her, and then at the others. "But let's test it first."

The hole in the ground had been burned there by some sort of magic book. The fire that had burned had been both fire and ice, and Hart kneeled by the hole, looking at the edges. He touched the edges with a hand, wanting to know if they were hot or cold.

If there were loose stones around, Hart would drop a stone in the hole in the ground, listening for the sound of stone on stone and attempting to determine its depth. If he needed to, he would drop something other than a stone; Hart looked at Woe for a nel.

If Nir'wei agreed to it, Hart would tie rope to the handle of Nir'wei's lantern and drop the lantern slowly down. The light of the lantern should let them determine its depth, and whether the darkness down there was absolute.

If they needed the rope, Hart would say, "We should be able to tie the rope around the pillar in the middle of the room."
word count: 1153
Ralgar Warborn
Approved Character
Renown: 180
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Still concerned for the symbols on the wall, clearly a sign of his people having been here, Ralgar turned back to the group and decided to focus elsewhere. There were no answers he would find, not yet. No matter what he did, however, the thought plagued his mind. Why were his elders so afraid of being here? What had they done, that their symbols were written over the walls and scattered around as they were. Bro'ky'na had inhabited here once, for some reason or another, and Ralgar had a dark idea on what it might have been. Trapped Induk's, drawings over the wall of chained beings. If they had found it chained why would they not try and save it?

Unless they chained it themselves.

It was a thought for later, and one that might cause conflict back in his tribe. But for now, he kept his eyes on the group. All with good timing, it seemed, as Yeva picked up a journal and seemed entranced. Woe noticed as well, stepping forward and breaking her focus from the journal as the ice-like flames rose from it upon hitting the floor. The journal burnt and Ralgar took a step forward, giving Yeva a reassuring nod to make sure she was alright as Woe gave her food. Shortly after, Ralgar turned as Nir'wei prayed, watching the man for a moment. While he did not view the Immortals as powerful beings, or at least as God's, he knew all too well that they were real. His mother was one, not that he had ever met her, and it had explained the strange abilities he had.

Then, Hart spoke to him, and he understood. He knew the words, as if it was fluent in his language. Ralgar glanced to the man and watched his lips. It made no sense. His lips moved in a language he did not understand, yet Haltunga came out. "I understand what you are saying" Ralgar told the others, suddenly able to be understood the same way. Shaking it aside for the time being, Ralgar listened to his advice and nodded, placing a hand on Hart's shoulder.

"No Immortal has controlled me before" he said with a short, simple tone. "None will control me now, Wiseman Hart" he followed up, giving a reassuring grip on the mans shoulder. Hart had given Ralgar a lot of respect and reassurance, despite how Ralgar appeared. He was tall, tattooed and menacing to a lot of his own people, let alone civil folk. Yet Hart did not view him as savage or "different". He treated them with kindness, offered him help. This team, all of them, had earned Ralgar's respect.

At Yeva's idea, and Hart offering to go forward, Ralgar nodded as well. "If there is space, I'll go" he nodded to them, wanting to assist them in any way he could. They had done enough for him so far, now he would do as much as he could for them.
~~Haltunga~~ Common~~
word count: 509
Nir'wei
Approved Character
Profession: Councillor of Natural Affairs
Renown: 897
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Nir'wei had poured everything into his prayer. The first kind he'd ever offered to his Father in his life. As a matter of fact, the first time he'd ever referred to anything in a fatherly figure before. Perhaps Ashan could feel that Nir'weis heart was conflicted in his attempted devotion. It might have been why, when he opened his eyes to the sudden unnatural scent of spring flowers so deep within the underground stone chamber, he found a single six-foot plant sprouting from the floor, giant dish-like leaves hanging heavily from its stem. One plant. Nir'wei waited, gauging the thing, trying to figure out what strange and mysterious effects it might have. Judging by Cassion's words ringing suddenly in his ears amidst the sounds of Command, distinctly different from the sound he could already make out from his connection to Squeak, and Ralgar's miraculous grasp of the Common tongue, it was something to aid in communication. Its leaves would hold the stones.

And... that was it?

"Oh. Suddenly, he cares about my life, does he?" Nir'wei spoke aloud, directly to Cassion as he rose back to his feet. "What excellent timing for him to grow a conscience. Unfortunately, it's a few arcs too late to start caring about that, isn't it?" he spat back with a very grim smile suddenly shining up at the ceiling, where he imagined Cassion looking down at them all from above. "No. What he should have grown is a spine." He didn't mean to sound ungrateful. The story was very educational. Unfortunately, it did nothing but once again reaffirm the sneaking suspicion he'd been harbouring all along - that the Immortals were all screaming twats. Every single one of them, now trapped in a binding agreement that reduced them all to helpless infants in a looming war that threatened to devour them all and the world with them. All of them sitting on their hands while mortals once again fought to desperately undo the damage they had caused by the utterly careless actions of Qylios and her fool son.

Well, all of them barring Cassion. The only one self-admittedly unbound by the original Oath, completely free to interfere in affairs as much and as directly as he pleased. No, he sat on his hands without even that toilet-paper excuse. Delroth must have been excused as well, since he was free to utterly obliterate their chances of saving Scalvoris without a hint of complaint. His father, however, the Immortal of Freedom... he'd let himself be bound to it. Wouldn't even find a way out, wouldn't even try. Karem above, what a deadbeat. "Thanks for the potted plant, Dad. Was hoping for something just a little more useful, to perhaps, you know, help us free of this damn prison... or deal with Delroth. Or... hell, anything, but you know, maybe next time." Nir'wei lifted his forearm and rolled back his sleeve to expose the scar Cassion had etched into his skin, the reminder of their shared power. "Cassion. I can hear you, you know that right?" He had a feeling he didn't, nor did anyone else. "Please tell me you intend to do something more than sit around spouting stories. As much as I enjoy hearing them, I'd also rather this not be my last." Wait. Actually. "Enri and Ashan. What about them." The Condemned. The Induk. Surely there was nothing there, they couldn't escape the island anyway, but...

He must have looked mad. Yelling at the ceiling. Talking to his own arm. When didn't he look mad? Ultimately, while there was a lot more happening outside the room at that moment, there was still their own task to carry on with.

"Use the leaves." He walked up to the strange Ashan-made tree and pulled one of the leaves free, tearing it at the stem, before turning to the Chainstone on the podium and using his leaf-covered hand to pluck it from its stand. "I'll hold it." The others had already readied themselves for the next expedition, which seemed to naturally gravitate towards the giant gaping hole in the ground left behind where Yeva had been close to standing not a moment prior. Yeva again offered herself as a human sacrifice. At least Hart took point. "Go. I'll be along shortly."

Nir'wei instead used Cold, Myrth, Castile and Kin to sniff out every aspect of the room. If there were any items on the floor, Nir'wei wanted to know about them. Any markings, any irregularities, beyond the obvious moon staring down at them. "The others in Command are still hearing us, and we can still hear them, Woe." Not that it did them any good. Not that any of this did. Hart was wrong; what they did now, in this moment, didn't matter at all. Even gathering all the Chainstones meant absolutely nothing when they were the only ones holding them. "Doran," he asked through Squeak. "Does Sweetwine or Ishallr have a portal matching the one that we found in Scaltoth." Doran had been the most adamant that they not cross the portal, and yet beyond the hole in the floor... it was the one clear exit from the island. "Could it be used to cross the fog borders between the islands. Hypothetically." His brow creased. "And, hypothetically, since it's beginning to feel more and more like we're all going to sink into the ocean one way or another, is it worth inciting Chrien's ire if it means not having the entire world turn into a barren wasteland."

Myrth nudged into his hand, and he looked down at the wolf. "Karem remains, you know." He did, and as he agreed with Hart to lower the lantern to check for the depth and interior of the deep tunnel Yeva had created, he stroked her head carefully.

"Not yet." Karem was the last option. Before Cassion, Moseke, Qylios, Ziell, even Vri. Before every other Immortal he'd ever met. Partially because he was afraid that she'd done it too. He didn't know what would happen if he turned to her and found her unable to act in the one moment the world was on the edge of its end. Partially because... well, in that moment, he felt like killing something, and he didn't want to call on her until he was absolutely certain of what he was about to do, and that it could be done. More than anything else, he wanted to be worth her help when it came down to asking for it.

"Alright. Yeva goes down first." Nir'wei obligingly tied a 100ft length of rope puled from his Traveller's Pack around the central column and handed the other end to Yeva to tie around herself, after Hart had investigated the hole for further evidence of its depth... and after he'd silently sent Gaddwin down inside to have a peek around and see just how far down it went. "Then Hart. Then the rest of us, one by one... unless another plan crops up in the meantime." Nir'wei planned to remain above surface as long as possible to expunge any other choices they might have, after all.
word count: 1230
We return to where we started, and pass onwards into history.
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

It became obvious to Woe that Labrae was gone. The crow remained, but Labrae was not inhabiting it. Then, the crow flew away, squawking loudly, as Woe asked his question of it. The child's pacifier crumbled to dust in his hands, as though it had been as ancient as the Originals themselves. Yeva ate and suggested that she would go down - Hart and Ralgar agreed and were happy to offer themselves too.

And Nir'wei conversed (in a one-sided way) with Cassion. Now, Nir'wei saw everything that happened in the Glass Temple, heard every word. And so did everyone else who had a Diri there. This was not a miracle to them, but they knew that communication had been lost with all other groups - and they knew that the combined forces of Cassion and Daia had done what they did.

"I don't disagree," Cassion said as Nir'wei said his Immortal father needed to grow a spine. Having literally just that second left the Glass Temple, it had taken him seconds to stride here and no barrier stood in his way. "I don't disagree at all" So, he walked in like he'd just been waiting outside the room the whole time. "The Oath was a stupid idea, the first one and the second. Although, Audrae took advantage of Qylios' Domain of Bonds for the second, but still." He shrugged slightly, and then he looked at all of them. "Your daughter is safe, now, Hart, as are you." He smiled at Yeva. "Hello again, beautiful," and to Ralgar he spoke in the warrior's native tongue. "It it my pleasure to meet you, Deathkissed." Finally, to Woe, Cassion nodded his head. "You've done well in this tale, son of Sintra."

Then, he gestured to them all. "I would beg your indulgence for a moment," he said. "I could not, was not powerful enough against the Shadows, to do anything alone. I couldn't bloody find her. But, Doran realised something I had not, and so Audrae is taken care of," he assured them. "The child is safe and we no longer need to be concerned with the Warden. That means that you can now simply focus on the task at hand." Namely, releasing the Induks. "Daia and I have ensured that you will be bothered no more. Audrae's taint from Ruari had moved on to you, Hart, and the woman Elisabeth. I have removed it from you and Famula's chosen has removed it from her." To Nir'wei, then, he spoke. "Chrien is right to be pissed off, frankly, she's been treated abysmally. She's just trying to protect her mother's grave and not let Audrae's machinations desecrate it. The portal is closed, it was a trap by Audrae, to tempt you."

He looked at them, then. His face stern. Those who noticed such things - those who had met him before or paid attention to such might recognise that he looked tired. "As much as we may seem it to you, we are not like you." Cassion said. "We are our Domains. Embodying them, restricted by them. I am Adventure. And so, I will not teleport you to where you need to be. It is against my nature and, unlike you I can not fight that nature." He smiled. "Besides, mine is the best one and I wouldn't trade it. But," he added. "when you judge the actions of Immortals, do not do so by the standards of mortals. In many ways you have much greater choice than we do. Chamadarst created the Oath because he embodies neutrality. Sadly, no one else does. Although, he is also almost terminally dull." Cassion was not ashamed of that opinion. Isolation and Neutrality was not his cup of tea.

"What you do now impacts Scalvoris," he said. "And I like it here. So, go down the hole and find two other stones, then, return here and put them around the plinth. Break them simultaneously. Your communication will not fail you again. And you can tell the other groups, that is what they must do. Three stones each group, broken together. Ishallr first. You know all this," he chuckled. "I can't stay and accompany you, I have to help with the clean up of Slag's Deep. But I can give you a moment," he said with a smile. "How can I help? "

He stayed a few moments, answering questions or helping with what he couldif you have a specific request, not just a question of him, ask it and I'll deal with it in my next post and then, he stood and smiled. "Always a pleasure!"

And, he was gone.

And the hole was there before them.

Info & Rules

• This thread is for those who have gone to Scaltoth in direct response to this thread
  • Ok, lovelies! Please remember that this is as cold as Ishallr normally is.
  • Due to the time-sensitive nature of this, I can not hold out for people to post. If you miss a round, there will (I'm afraid) be consequences.
  • This style of event moderation - with objectives etc - was taught to me by a dear friend and one of the most talented Storytellers I've ever known. With thanks to Crimson / Straylor.
 ! Message from: Reminder
There are no required skill levels for this.
It is - undoubtedly - dangerous. It's a war.
What will get you hurt is NOT if you are low skilled. What will get you hurt is doing something foolish. There's plenty for everyone to do.
Equally, being highly skilled is not a guarantee of anything. This will need teamwork and smarts.

Current State

! Message from: Current State
Group
  • Arrived at destination
  • Met Ralgar
  • Assigned a group leader
  • Got ready to go across the water
  • Noted the unusual phenomenon
  • Noted the water as frozen solid
  • Made their way across
  • Arrived in the ruins.
  • Explored the ruins.
  • Gone down into the ruins.
  • Noted the carvings
  • Found a chainstone
  • Found a plant
Individuals
  • Woe You feel warm and rested. You are not yet tired. You not hungry.
  • Hart You feel warm and rested. You are not yet tired. You are not hungry.
  • Ralgar You feel warm and rested. You are not yet tired. You are not hungry.
  • Yeva You feel warm and rested. You are not yet tired. You are not hungry
  • Nir'wei You feel warm and rested. You are not yet tired. You are not hungry.

Objectives

Get going, then! :D

DiriCom

This round:
  1. You have a rough idea what is happening in the other groups. Please note the Summary posts of the Life and Death post - and yes - you hear about Delroth :D
  2. You hear exactly what's going on in Command.
Next Post: Sunday 13th June
word count: 1137
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Hart
Approved Character
Renown: 527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

30th Ashan, 721

"Speaking in Common" "Speaking in Rakahi"
Ralgar responded to him in Rakahi, and Hart said to him, not knowing why he hadn't thought to speak to Ralgar in Rakahi before, "You speak Rakahi?" But no, Ralgar wasn't speaking in Rakahi. Ralgar was speaking in his native language, the language of the Bro'ky'na. Hart was just hearing the words in the language that was most native to him.

Hart didn't know why language was different now. Was it just Ralgar, or were his translator and the others in the group able to "speak" other languages now, too?

Nir'wei spoke to Cassion, and though Hart knew the language he was speaking, he didn't know what Nir'wei was speaking about. It seemed to him that Nir'wei was speaking half aloud, and half in thought.

But Nir'wei said that the leaves of the flower that, that Ashan had sent? The leaves were able to be used to gather the stones, and despite Nir'wei's response, Hart was glad to have the leaves. He thanked Ashan quietly, though he knew why it was different for Nir'wei. Ashan was his absent father; like Edasha was Hart's absent mother. The difference was that Hart didn't think much about Edasha.

Nir'wei got the first stone, and just like that they had one stone of three.

Nir'wei agreed to lower the lantern into the hole in the ground, and so Hart tied rope to the handle of the lantern. But before he was able to do more, there was another man there.

The man spoke to Nir'wei, and looking at the man and hearing his voice, Hart knew he was an immortal. Nir'wei had spoken to Ashan; Ashan had responded with the flower. Then Nir'wei had spoken to Cassion; Hart guessed, then, that the man that responded now was Cassion.

He was. He said his Domain was Adventure.

Like before, when Nir'wei had spoken, Hart didn't really know what he and Cassion were speaking about. He heard the words and he knew the language, but they were speaking about things he just didn't know. Hart was quiet, kneeling on the ground beside the hole, the lantern set momentarily beside his knee.

Cassion spoke of two Oaths, and Hart thought that one of the Oaths was the one the Warden had made. He didn't know what the other Oath was. The immortal looked at Hart then and said that Hart and Ruari were safe. The hand grasping at Hart's heart, the grasp of fear that Ruari had been stolen by Audrae like the Warden's daughter, that she wasn't safe, untightened.

Hart didn't speak for a moment. When he spoke he said, "Thank you, Cassion."

Cassion said that the child was safe, but Hart didn't know if he meant Ruari or the Warden's daughter.

He and Nir'wei spoke of immortals; before Nir'wei had spoken about Delroth, and now Cassion spoke of Daia, Famula, and Chamadarst, and said that the immortals were bound by their Domains. Hart prayed to the the other three, thanking them like he'd thanked Ashan.

Kneeling there on the ground, Hart didn't know what questions to ask Cassion. The man had said that Ruari was safe. Hart's first question, then, would have been to ask if Wren was safe. But Wren wasn't safe; no one in Scalvoris was. When Cassion said Ruari was safe he meant from Audrae; no one was safe from the imbalance of the island.

They needed to balance the island. They needed to get the other two stones.

Hart went to the great flower in the room and gathered two leaves from it, leaving more leaves for the others to gather as well. Then he went back to the hole in the ground.

"Is there anything more we need, or the other groups need, to get the chainstones? Anything," Hart said.

Then he looked at the immortal a moment, really looked at him. "Is there anything you need?" he asked.

When Cassion had answered their questions, Hart kneeled and lowered the lantern into the hole in the ground. He let the rope tied to the lantern's handle go slowly down, and the lantern lowered, and lowered, and lowered into the ground.

Though the hole had only been burned in the ground moments before, it was deep.

Nir'wei handed a rope to Yeva and Yeva also had a rope, but Hart said, "Does anyone in the group know how to climb, or know how to make a climbing harness? We need to think about safety." They had some climbing supplies with them, but there wasn't a harness in the supplies.

"I don't really know about climbing," Hart said. If one of the group knew more, or if someone at command knew more, Hart would defer to them.

Otherwise, they would need to make their own method of climbing. Thoughtfully, Hart got out the notebook and charcoal and wrote down a number of thoughts. He drew something, but looking at the drawing he frowned. He wrote a bit more, and then drew a second drawing, and then a third, and then a fourth. The fourth drawing he circled.

"I don't know about climbing," he said again, "This is all guesswork. But I think we'll need a harness and two ropes." The two ropes they had.

If they needed to see what he was speaking about, he'd point to the fourth drawing he'd made. It wasn't a good drawing, he didn't have much in the way of drawing skill. But hopefully it illustrated what he meant.

"The harness and the first rope will be the climber's support if they fall. The rope will need to be anchored into the stone. I think we'll be able to anchor it using the
climbing supplies
we have. The rope will need to be anchored at multiple points in the stone, and the rope will need to be let out safely from the supports, so that if the climber falls they don't fall all the way to the bottom."

"The second rope will be the climber's rope to climb down or up. It will need to be anchored into the stone as well, or otherwise tied to a support, like the pillar. I think the second rope will also need to have large knots knotted into it, with a number of feet from knot to knot. The knots will give the climber something to grip, climbing down or up. We'll need to be able to climb back up when we've got the other two stones."

"Tamsen will go with the climber, as they're climbing down, to be a second support." Hart looked at Nir'wei, knowing that the man didn't trust Tamsen much. But Hart trusted Tamsen to do what was best for Hart; and what was best for Hart, at the moment, was what was best for the group. She knew that.

"Tamsen's able to fly, and she's . If the climber falls, I think she'll be able to support them, and if needed, slow their fall."

Hart looked at the others. If they had input, and he really hoped they did, he would defer to their input. If someone had a better method, he would defer to that as well.

Like he'd said before, he didn't really know about climbing. This was all guesswork.

If they went with his method, then Hart would set it up, asking the others for help. They needed to make the harness out of rope. They needed to set up the supports, and test them. The first rope needed to be tied to one of the supports in the ground, and looped around the others; the knots in the harness and the support rope needed to be tested. The second rope needed to be tied to another support, or to the pillar, and that knot tested as well; the second rope also needed large knots tied into its length.

Whether they went with Hart's method or with some other method, Hart would make sure Yeva was well supported before she began to climb down. Tamsen went down as well, now in the form of a tunawa but about the size of Yeva herself, with wings that seemed to be made of leaves.

When Yeva climbed down safely, or if they needed someone else to climb down first, Hart would climb down. He wasn't strong but with the support rope and the harness, and with the knots in the climbing rope to climb down, and with Tamsen as a second support, he hoped that he wouldn't need much strength or skill to get safely to the bottom.
word count: 1499
Woe
Approved Character
Profession: Éminence grise
Renown: 1455
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Glass Temple

Woe slipped a golden nel to Radburn, as he felt his diri's interest in helping them waning. However, the nel prompted the spirit to maintain its interest to make yet another message, at least for the moment. Radburn walked into the midst of Kura and Doran, "Hello alo. Woe says he can still hear you, and you all can hear me I presume? Doran, he tells me that Ornthus trapped and chained the Condemned of Ashan to his crown, where he fed upon the ephemeral energies pouring out of him.

There were lesser spirits that they met along the way, Truth, Falsehood, many of them aiding us. Tio himself set them upon that task. I believe Miss Yeva was there as well as Balthazar Black. Anyway, the Condemned was chained to the crown of the Mountain, which had to be destroyed by the mage Balthazar Black, who shot him with lightning. Woe tried to save him, probably hoping for a greater reward from Tio, but in the end they had little choice but to be rid of him."

Radburn sighed, growing hungrier with every word he uttered at such a distance from his bonded Sombran. "Tio told us the Condemned formed a vergeance through Ornthus and his court of spirits, who all fed upon the energies. It threatened to form a fissure that opened up the veil between the Beneath and Idalos. Or such is the impression that was delivered to Woe."

Then Radburn was silent, and listened in on the people at the Glass Temple.

Scaltoth

Woe was a little relieved that his mother's name had not been uttered in relation to those who'd made the hair-brained oath with the Warden regarding his child. The Immortal of Entrapment would not have been caught by such a snare, or so he thought. It put him in a unique position, as one of her adored as well as her son. So he thought. He considered then speaking to her, to see if she could help, but he didn't know that they needed it... Yet.

Then the decision to drop down into the hole was made, and Yeva was set to go first. The ropes were set up in such a way to prevent falling. Woe for his part had abilities that helped him to climb easily, as well as some latent ability in himself. This wasn't his first spelunking trip. He'd done much the same during the excursion into Rhakros and used the large spiders that Sintra had deployed in order to invade Lisirra's domain.

Hart bid him use a nel to see how far down the hole was. Nodding to his friend, he slipped a silver nel from his coin bag and tossed it down into the hole. It shone reflected against the lantern light and whatever ambient light filled the area.

It disappeared entirely. Woe didn't like this, this dipping into an Oubliette without ending in sight. He looked to the others and then thought about his mother.

He muttered to himself so that no one else would overhear, "Sintra, Mother, please help us. Let your children form a bit of safety webbing at the bottom of this trap hole, in order to catch us before we reach the point of danger. Perhaps Lunar Spiders, so that the webbing glows and doesn't stick as much? Thank you."

So saying, he untied his boots and tied the laces together so that they'd wrap around his neck for when he was ready to put them on again. Then he removed his gloves and placed these within his boots. His hands and feet thus uncovered, he looked to Hart, "Hart, cling to my back, I'll climb us down this hole safely as I can. Just hold on." If Hart agreed, he'd let him cling to his back, and then climb down into the hole regardless, without the need for rope. He found footholds and handholds as he went, but even Woe didn't need them. He only needed to make contact with his bare hands and feet with Grip of the Spider, to maintain a hold over anything he touched.

He muttered to Hart, "If you feel yourself becoming less secure, make contact with the skin over my collarbone, I won't let you fall."

Thus he began the long climb beside Yeva, and kept aware of what was going on around and above him, as well as below.
word count: 752
Image*Image*Image
Ralgar Warborn
Approved Character
Renown: 180
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

At Hart's question of speaking a language known as Rakahi, Ralgar shook his head, confused for but a moment. Yet a new man had appeared before them, and it didn't take much to realize just how important and powerful he was. Being a Mortalborn, Ralgar had wondered when the day would come that he would be faced with an Immortal, to finally have one appear. Would it be his mother? Would it be in anger, or in hope of converting him to whatever their cause was? What other motive would that Immortal want with a man like Ralgar Warborn?

Yet Cassion arrived, and he greeted Ralgar by his title and in his own tongue. As he had greeted them all. Then he spoke, of people he knew nothing of. Audrae was a name he recognized, Chrien was spiteful and angry and many other words he had no part in. This was not Ralgar's fight for the same reason as the others. He wished to save Scalvoris for his people, for them to be safe in Scaltoth where they belong. He wished to free a Spirit, as was true to the Bro'ky'na. That was why he came here this trial, why he had agreed to help Kura. So that his people, and all of Scalvoris, could continue to prosper in harmony together.

Once Cassion finished, and others had asked their question, Ralgar took a step forward to the man and offered a handshake. Should Cassion take it, Ralgar would nod to him and begin to speak. "The Bro'ky'na do not like Immortals, believe they are a false power and that Spirits control our world. But one trial, when I have found family, I will tell my children of Cassion the Adventurer and the help he gave us on our journey to free Scaltoth. Thank you" Ralgar spoke in his native tongue, guttural yet somehow touching. Every word he said to Cassion, it was clear he meant. Some of his people hated the Immortals, others were mostly neutral but had a dislike for their widespread worship.

Ralgar, as of now, had respect for at least one.

Once Cassion was gone and Hart asked if anyone had climbing experience, the man shook his head. There wasn't much he could offer now, other than the willingness to help. Hart's idea, however, seemed to be a good one. Tamsen being strong and able to fly was a good start, though he questioned if she was going to be strong enough to carry him. With his club on his back and the size of him, Ralgar would prove to be a little heavier than he imagined most might be. But that wouldn't deter him, it just meant he had to try his hardest to climb down safely, and perhaps have someone lower his club down individually with a rope.

Once it was time to climb, Ralgar would do as he was told, climbing alone or with someone more experienced beside him should he have to. It was time to get moving, time to act. They were close to their objective, or so it seemed. The sooner they got to the Spirit and freed it the sooner he might have answers about the Bro'ky'na and their involvement here, if it was real.

So he climbed when it was his time.
~~Haltunga~~ Common~~
word count: 567
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”