Tall Tales, Short Stories, and Fables of All Sizes!

26th of Ashan 721

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1724
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Tall Tales, Short Stories, and Fables of All Sizes!

It was a very receptive audience, the group gathered there, and Vega smiled in pleasure at their reactions. Sir Chip gasped in amazement, Doran laughed and applauded and Arlo - well, he would be impressed with her if he put one foot in front of the other in a straight line. He was, as they say, soft on her - but equally, Vega knew that Arlo was the best storyteller Idalos had ever seen and she knew him well enough to know that he was impressed with her tale - they all were. "Find him?" Vega grinned at Sir Chip. "I reckon we should go Schnizzlesnoot huntin' you know. Big beast like that, he's bound to have tracks an' things."

And then, Doran's question. "I've been thinkin' about jus' that, actually," she admitted. "For a follow-up story where the Mouse gets too clever an' the Schnizzlesnoot has to save him. Or maybe, the other way round. I reckon the Mouse should be the hero, either way." With a pointed glance at her husband, she added, "I don't know why, but I think we probably need to be careful to warn against recklessness an' wild behaviour. Jus' pointin' out that risks mean you can come a cropper an' end up with someone bigger'n you havin' to save you." She grinned then, teasingly. "Don't know why I think that."

When Arlo passed round drinks, she beamed at him. He knew her too well to ask and she thanked him most genuinely as he put a hot chocolate in her hands. Vega cradled the cup and she listened to Doran as he began to speak.

He told the tale of Enri and the Smooglenuff and Vega's eyes were wide as he did. She listened to him with rapt attention, focusing on his words and she was almost child-like in her manner as she followed him. Her drink was held, warm in her hands, but her gaze was on him and him only. When he'd finished, she put down her cup and clapped. "Oh, I love that one! An' it's great that it's real an' true too." She beamed. "Thank you, Doran - that's a fantastic tale. I wonder if Enri is still alive? I hope so. Maybe he'll come sit around our campfire, one o' these nights." That would be quite something.

Something occurred to her then. "The Skeeterwampulus might have been the monster what Enri was fightin' you know. Three stories, all with S-names. Skeeterwampulus, Schnizzlesnoot an' Smooglenuff." Looking at Doran, she smiled slightly. "I've never been much for learnin', the letters all jump around an' I can't sit still. But if history were all taught like that, I'd be the most qualified ginger on Faldrass."

Turning then to Sir Chip, she beamed. "Come on then, Sir Chip, it's your turn, I reckon." She was excited to see what he'd tell as a tale. He had many wonders to share, she was sure.
word count: 507

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Cassion's Champion
Renown: 820
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

When Doran offered to investigate and to look into whether or not there might ever have been a creature remotely resembling Skeeterwampulus, Arlo tilted grateful smile and nodded. "I'd appreciate that every much, if it's not too much trouble," he said. "Of course when I was a kid, I was convinced that the creature must be very real indeed, and maybe...as you've said, he might have been known as something else entirely. And if not, it would still be nice to know that big imaginations run in the family."

Not that there was any of that ancestor's blood running through Arlo's own veins. He'd known from the very beginning that Jonas, while every bit a mortal father as any other might be, had not sired him. Arlo couldn't have asked for a better man to look up to, nonetheless.

He'd poured drinks all around and mulled wine for himself. But as Doran began his own tale, Arlo set the meal preparations aside for the moment to give the story his full attention. It began with an interesting history lesson, so far as the timing of events, and the mortal born couldn't help but wonder if there was something more to that than coincidence. In his experience, there usually was. When Doran began to speak about Enri Von Smooglenuff, Arlo quirked a brow, then smiled again at the mention of a name he remembered very well.

Although back then, he hadn't heard of the man prior to meeting him for the first time, and until now...Well this was the first he'd heard of any rumors that the Baron was Cassion's son. If that had been the case, which apparently it was not, Arlo would have been dining by invitation at the table of his own brother. Even before he himself had known his own origins. While Arlo and Vega hadn't been here during the eruption, and were only recently becoming familiar with it's aftermath, it was a shame that the Baron was gone, and his descendants with him.

"A good story never really ends," Arlo said then, grinning when Vega went on to tell how her own story might carry on, even though it might otherwise seem done. "Many of the best stories are also the ones heavy on truth," he added, referring to Doran's tale. "It's a wonderful story, thank you. It would be nice to know if the Baron was still out there somewhere. I met him once, arcs ago. He invited me and a host of others to a formal supper and had planned a little theater game for our entertainment. A sort of murder mystery, who dunnit it thing," Arlo remembered.

Of course Arlo had prepared a number of dishes to share with those around the fire. But each one of them would keep until it was time to pass them around. In the meantime, there was still another story to share. "I agree Sir Chip. It appears that you're up," he said.
word count: 515
Kisaik
Approved Character
Race: Tunawa
Profession: Protagonist
Renown: 780
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Storybook

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

It did indeed appear that Kisaik's turn was up, as his companions let him know. Thus he was racking his little brain trying to think of how to frame the story, a story he hadn't told before but had experienced first hand. Then he realized that rather than thinking of how to phrase it and then phrasing it, he ought to just say how it happened. It was simple enough, or so he thought. "Well, this is a story I experienced firsthand, and one you might appreciate if you've ever been to Yaralon. Strange place that, with lots of holes and fractures in it, but nevermind that."

Kisaik took a deep breath, and then proceeded to tell them his story, "Perhaps Vega has already told Arlo about the First Tree, and the Wardens that helped to grow it. Well, whatever the case, that's a story you all can hear another day. But there is another story I haven't told anyone before. The true Story of the near-fall of the Fairy Court of Jesine. There was a time after I became a knight, the very day afterward, when I encountered the Fairy Princess Purple in the Fairy Mushroom Ring of Yaralon, just on the outskirts. She invited me, as well as a few other adventurers, which included the other three Wardens of the First Tree, as it happened."

Kisaik wasn't sure what to do with his arms, so he waved them about at what he thought were the right moments, illustrating what was going on at any particular time during the tale. "Well, I told Purple I'd be very pleased to be of any service to the court, being a newly minted knight the very night before. I asked her 'Fair one! Purple! I would very much like to help you make our dearest friendship, and freely declare it before all the court. I have come with the most troubling puzzle that has haunted me lately: How do we make the world better, when evil returns success and virtue returns failure?'

And she kissed me on the nose, and said, 'By never giving up!' So with that, I was transported to the Fairy realm of Jesine, along with a select few of our companions. There, I traveled with my best buddy Rabu, and Cerulean to the fairy court."

Here Kisaik's face grew long, as he remembered the chaos that threatened to overtake their happiness at the invitation. "But then, a strange mood of darkness began to gather around the court. I don't remember all that happened, but eventually we were made and requested to ring a bell. Rabu and I, who were gifted with fairy wings for this occasion..." And here Kisaik made a squinting with his eyes, as a pair of orange fairy wings sprouted from his back, in the shape of butterfly wings. He looked back at them and smiled, then turned to the rest. He flew into the air then, floating above them all as he told the rest of the story. "The bell was oh so heavy, too heavy for our tunawa arms to move or ring, or do anything. So we applied opposite leverage to get it to even move. But unfortunately, this caused the bell to topple...

Toward the ground, but then, our friend and fellow Warden of the First Tree, Thysbae, caught the bell. Yet, nevertheless, it shattered, and all was rendered unto chaos. It seemed like all hope would be lost, but then we pieced together the parts of the bell that lay upon the ground. And suddenly there were two Rabus. Two tunawa by the name of Rabu in one place. Who'd have thought it?

So then, Rabu tried to get me to stop trying to rearrange the shards of the crystal bell by color coordination. Eventually, the false Rabu revealed himself to be Purple, and changed shape to try and convince me to stop what I was doing. But something deep down told me I was right in trying to bring order to the chaos. Thus, I put the pieces in color coded order, and the fairy court arrived to dispel the one I came to know not as Purple the Fairy Princess, but Aelig, an evil Wizard King who could change shape and wanted to ruin the Fairy Court of Jesine."

"I tried to enlist the real Rabu's help, referring him as my 'special flower', but the evil wizard said to me, “Dearest flower? Special flower? My, my, my… is this why he doesn’t heed our advice? Because of Old Dust’s spawn?” and went on to try and convince me to stop, taking on all manner of shapes and voices to do so." Kisaik took a breath, and sipped a bit more of the hot chocolate before continuing, "So Aelig said, 'You disappoint me, sprout. Bringing order to this harlot’s realm… consorting with the taleweaver’s sapling. Decorum and adventure!? Bah! This is not what was to happen!' I didn't know what they meant, by Taleweaver's sapling, or Old Dust's spawn, but now I understand that there's something special about Rabu, more than just the fact that he's my very best friend in the world and also my husband. But that he too is a child born of the influence of some being not unlike Aelig, like me."

"Anyway, Jesine came to thank us afterward, and awarded us each, the four wardens, with a ring of the Fairy court, and each a title. I am Tìfmi Härumtä sọ anou Faewun Samuwar, Orange Knight of the Fairy Court. Rabu is the Purple Knight, and Thysbae is the Green Knight." Kisaik scratched the lichen on his head, for a moment, hoping his tale had been at least somewhat coherent.

word count: 979
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

When Vega clapped her hands, Doran smiled at her. For a moment, there was even a, possibly somewhat uncharacteristic, twinkle in his blue eyes. It was obvious to anybody who was watching that the son of Ziell who tended to be a comparatively reserved and proper man most of the time was enjoying himself quite a bit that evening. “I do believe that Enri is still alive. Mortalborn can live for centuries, after all. I plan on looking for him eventually. I’d very much like to hear his stories”, he remarked, his tone of voice momentarily becoming more serious.

There was something about Enri and his story that spoke to him and made him wonder if he was a kindred spirit. He possessed a connection to Xiur, and possibly to Ziell, just like him.

He wanted to get to know him, for real rather than just through his books.

“I’ve actually been thinking about that”, he admitted when Vega remarked that she’d be the most qualified ginger on Faldrass if history were all taught like that. “I’ve been thinking about sharing my research like that rather than just writing it down on paper. Listening to a story also makes it easier to realize that history is alive, among other things. We are each a part of history in this very moment”, he pointed out before he fell silent for a few moments and proceeded to furrow his brow thoughtfully.

“Maybe it is the case”, he finally decided. “Maybe the Skeeterwampulus was the monster that Enri fought back then. Most of the events of the last couple of centuries are connected in some way, after all, and legends of old seem to affect the present. So, why shouldn’t this particular legend play a part?” he asked his three companions – he was not joking, but giving Vega’s words serious consideration – it was warranted in his opinion – before he turned to Arlo who spoke about having met the Baron.

For a moment, he was inclined to believe that he had indeed met Enri, but as he continued to listen to him, he realized that the other man was mistaken. “The man that you met was Rodrigues Von Smooglenuff, I think, Enri’s descendant, the last of his line that took care of Faldrass. Rodrigues died, but Enri himself could very well still be out there, as I said. And while Rodrigues was the last of his line on Faldrass, it is possible that some of Enri’s other descendants are still alive”, he added.

It seemed unlikely to him that Enri Von Smooglenuff had only had a single family, centuries ago, at least, but then again, he didn’t have dozens or even hundreds of descendants either. In fact, there was only a single child that he knew of, a daughter that had died in infancy.

Some things, he eventually decided, would likely only become clear once he had finally found Enri, and he would find him one trial. For the time being, he turned to listen to the last story, to Kisaik’s story though. He had hoped that his former student would talk about how he had become a knight, and he was focused entirely on him as a consequence.

He had questions about Kisaik’s adventure, he had to admit, but he didn’t interrupt him. He only posed them after his former student had finished speaking, and he had given him the applause that he deserved. “Do you know how the Fairy Court fares nowadays? Did you ever hear from the fairies again, or visit them?” he wanted to know first of all. Jesine who he had met once, arcs ago, had died alongside her brother Kielik, and he couldn’t help but wonder how it had affected her fairies. Were they still alive and well?

“Could your husband Rabu be a Mortalborn of Cassion, if you don’t mind the question?” he continued. At least he thought that Taleweaver and Old Dust were two of Cassion’s names which led him to pose his third and last question. “And did you ever find out who your Immortal parent is? Do you know anything about him – or her?”

“You are a hero, Kisaik, Tìfmi Härumtä sọ anou Faewun Samuwar”,
he added, pronouncing the unfamiliar words slowly in order to try and make sure that he did not butcher them (too much). It was true. What his former student had told them had been quite an extraordinary tale, of Immortals, Mortalborns, fairies and three brave knights, a story that would stay with him long after this trial, just like the two other stories that he had heard.
word count: 785

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Listening to Sir Chip's story, Vega had an expression of concentration and total immersion as she heard it. She put her hand up to her mouth when the bell shattered, and her eyes were wide with wonder. It was a good story, and she enjoyed it thoroughly. She clapped as he finished, and she nodded her agreement to Doran's question. Of course, she also knew that Arlo knew a fair amount about Jesine and the Fairies - he had been marked twice by Jesine, after all. But, that was his story to tell - or not - as the case may be.

The idea of there being a tunawa mortalborn of Cassion neither surprised nor shocked her. "That's one of his names, for sure." Vega said, of her father-in-law. He was a philanderer and a pleasure seeker as much as he was a storyteller and thrill seeker, and she suspected that he had mortalborn of every race and then some knocking around the place. Her hand slid into Arlo's as she thought that she didn't really care about that, only about the one son of Cassion who mattered to her. This pregnancy - as early as it currently was - impacted Vega in one way. Mortalborn of Emotions, she was having more of them than ever.

"There's a tradition," she said, quietly. "Among biqaj, an' in the clan I were born into, that a night of tales and kinship should be noted an' remembered," she said. "We usually do it with a shell or a stone or some such thing. A memory, given by the clan who's boat it is, or the eldest of the group, if it's all one clan" They were sitting in their camp and so she knew the place well. Reaching into a small box, Vega pulled out a bag. Arlo knew it, of course, he'd seen the tradition played out many different times and in many different ways. But what Vega did next would tell her husband just how much she appreciated the two visitors to their camp and their presence this evening.

"Sir Chip, this is for you to remember this night," she said, and she handed him a small, flat, shiny shell. It would be a perfect size for a tray or large bowl for him. Then, "An' Doran, this is for you," to the serious professor who was so much more than he appeared, a clam-shell which had been polished and could be used to store trinkets or such things. "Gift of the earth an' the sea, an' things of beauty an' utility. May your feet always walk an' your ship always sail with stars lightin' the way for you both." She bumped against Arlo's shoulder. "Nothin' for you. You've got me, an' there's no gift better, aye?" She grinned.

It had to be said, Vega had enjoyed the evening enormously - she'd loved hearing about the stories and tales from them all. Frankly, she didn't want it to end.
word count: 509

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Cassion's Champion
Renown: 820
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

"I think you're probably right about that, and it's my memory that's at fault," Arlo conceded when Doran said it had probably been Rodrigues Von Smooglenuff who he'd met at the manor that night, and not Enri. "It was arcs ago, I was decidedly out of my element in far more elegant surroundings than I was accustomed to, and much younger as well." Whether or not Enri really was still out there somewhere, was not something he was qualified to to guess at.

Regardless, the drinks had been poured, and the food set aside, ready to serve whenever the time should arrive. But while there were stories to tell, that's where Arlo's focus remained. A good story was a good story, no matter the identity or how practiced the speaker. In fact, some of the very best ones weren't old legends or those completely woven of imagination; but of those things experienced firsthand. Or at least, convincingly delivered as such.

Reference to the fairy court of Jesine understandably grabbed his attention at the first, considering Arlo's own connection to the mortalborn of dreams and her minions. One of which he'd kept company with for arcs now. It was a riveting tale nonetheless, and whimsical at times, and it struck him that Kisaik was quite the accomplished storyteller himself. A wonderful telling of the eternal conflict of god and evil, darkness and light.

His eyes widened in surprise however when Kisaik sprouted butterfly wings and took to the air; and he couldn't help but grin with delight. Of course, by the time it was done, while Arlo had a fair knack with putting faces to names, and memory in general, he'd be hard pressed to get Kisaik's official title right by repeating it, no matter how hard he was pressed to. Still, he put his cup down and applauded enthusiastically along with Vega. "Wonderful!" he explained. "You're both a hero, Kisaik, and a natural born storyteller."

Of course the question of a tunawa mortalborn of Cassion was one that Arlo didn't find difficult or awkward at all. More than once in his company, his Immortal father had bragged about how many women he'd enjoyed keeping company with and since he could probably assume any form he pleased, well, who knew but Arlo wouldn't be surprised to learn that he'd a thousand or more half siblings out there by now. "I'm marked by Jesine," he told Kasaik then. "And when I met her, she left Lyova behind to keep company with me, and me with her. Some have referred to her as fairy, others a diri. I just call her friend."

He'd witnessed the passing around of shells frequently, but it never failed that he was charmed by the tradition, be it a new one or a very, very old one. But Vega was right, after all. He had her, and that was all he needed. Finally, it was time to serve the food that he'd brought I brought a few things here to nibble on,"[/b] he said, leaning down in order to untie a few bundles and lift the lids off a few baskets. "Kisaik, I have to confess that this is the first time that I've cooked for tunawa. It was quite the challenge to take on some of the things I understand you might enjoy. But I had quite a lot of fun trying." He only hoped the result was palatable enough that not only might Kasaik enjoy some of the offerings, but others might enjoy trying them too.

Insects figured large on those recipes, to be sure. One basket was overflowing with thin, crisp and round chips that had been rolled out nearly paper thin, broken up into pieces manageable by hand, then deep fried in olive oil. Of course the flour that had formed most of the original dough was actually one made from finely ground crickets. "Chirp chips," he said, grinning. He had to admit that they were surprisingly good and if one didn't know it before hand, with all the other seasonings that he'd thrown in; it might not be even apparent that the chips relied largely on insects.

At any rate, the things held up well when dipped in any number of things, and meant that one could simply scoop up what they liked for each bite of the meal without relying on knives, forks or spoons. "For the less adventurous," he said, grinning again while putting out another two basket, "these are made from corn and rice flour, and then sugared pie crust, respectively." Unwrapping the packets then, several of each variety, he arranged them on a large wooden tray to place within reach of all of them.

All things they could dip into using the chips, whatever they chose. There were packets of spiced meat, herbs and rice cooked in their own packets, others made from, well, buggy things, others that contained smoked cream cheese and spicy pepper jelly; and again for the sweet tooth, plenty more packets filled with a wild berry crumble. And of course, plenty more drink to go round for those that wanted it.
word count: 880
Kisaik
Approved Character
Race: Tunawa
Profession: Protagonist
Renown: 780
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Storybook

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Doran asked Kisaik if his husband might be the mortal born of Cassion. And Kisaik just had to shrug, "He might be. In the end, it wouldn't matter if he was the son of Lisirra. He'd still be my special flower." Kisaik grinned at Doran. When the alchemist professor started in on calling him a hero, the sap went straight to his cheeks, and he would've blushed if such was possible. Yet all he managed was an, "Aw shucks."

Then it was all but confirmed that Rabu must be the offspring of Cassion. It was interesting and probably important on some level, but Kisaik didn't mind it. He would've thought Rabu was special whatever may be.

Then, it came time for Vega to make something of an offering. A fine shell, that was big enough to use as a cup or a bowl was given to Kisaik. She called it a tradition, and such things were sacred in the knight's book. It felt like an invitation into their family, their clan, and that was something the tunawa took very much to heart. He took the shell in one hand, and the other rested over his heart, and his armor, "By the First Tree, I will prove worthy of this gift! Thank you, Lady Vega."

And then, it was time to share what they would of Arlo's cooking. Kisaik had to admit he was looking forward to it, having already had a share of chocolate drink that Arlo had prepared for them. He looked at the dried grasshoppers, and sap began moistening his mouth in anticipation. He bit into the little chips, and ate several of them before anyone knew what was happening. "That's very good! Crickets if I'm not mistaken!" Kisaik licked his lips, and tried a few more of the chips. "Have some, Lady Vega, and Professor Thetys, they're good protein, make you grow big and tall!"

So saying, Kisaik scooped up some of the hot chocolate that was left for him, with the shell Vega had given him, and sipped it like it was fine china, to wash down the cricket chips.

It was a fine night all told, and Kisaik was glad to share it to it's end with friends.

word count: 384
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

“No, ultimately, it doesn’t matter who your parents are or where you come from”, Doran agreed when Kisaik said that it wouldn’t matter if his husband were the son of Lisirra; he’d still be his special flower. He smirked a little when Kisaik blushed upon hearing his compliment before he inclined his head and turned to face Vega once more and listened to her as she spoke about that tradition. He’d never participated in anything like that; there had been a time when he had not particularly interested in sitting around a campfire and telling stories. In hindsight, he found that attitude hard to understand.

There was something extraordinary about evenings like this one.

When Vega handed him the clam shell, he accepted it and traced its polished surface with a finger for a few moments, almost reverently, before he looked up and met her gaze once more. “Thank you for this gift, Vega Creede”, he spoke in a sincere tone of voice. To him, it felt like more than just a shell, an invitation into her clan, an invitation to become part of this community.

Before long, Arlo served the food that he had brought. When Cassion’s son explained that those chips that he found quite interesting were ‘chirp chips’, he raised a dark eyebrow fractionally. A moment later, when Kisaik asked Vega and him to have some and pointed out that they made you grow big and tall, he chuckled. “I don’t think I want to grow any taller, but I’ll try some nevertheless”, he told him and got a few chips.

He was, he had to admit, feeling quite adventurous that evening.

Soon, he was dipping cricket chips into wild berry crumble and smoked cream cheese (his favourite). “These are quite excellent, Arlo”, he complimented the cook before he reached for chips made of corn and rice flour in order to see how they would compare. The chips made of cricket flour still held up in his opinion. He would, he decided, not be averse to eating them again in the future. The fact that he was essentially eating bugs didn’t bother him. The food was good, and that was what mattered.

“We should do this again sometime”, he remarked and got something to drink – he was getting slightly thirsty again, he had to admit. “Meet for an evening of stories and Arlo’s delicious food. This was far too enjoyable for it to remain a one-time occurrence”, he added before he fell silent once more, sipping from his drink and eating some more chips, enjoying that evening with friends that was slowly coming to an end now.
word count: 450

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The stars shone above them and they sat and shared friendship and stories and food. It was very much the best kind of evening she could imagine and when Sir Chip said that the crickets would make them grow "big and tall" she grinned. "I reckon that I might be tall enough, you know, but thanks lets have a try." Vega had no concerns about eating bugs and, in fact, when she and Arlo had eaten in an Inn in Desnind, she'd been the one who'd tried it. So, she had a cricket and nodded. "Well nice, they are," she said. "Crunchy an' salty. Nice." She smiled at his reaction to her gift - he took things seriously and that was part of what she liked about him. Because, Arlo knew the truth of it, it was rare that Vega liked people. She didn't let people in to her friendship circle, she didn't want or need them. So, these two were important people to her.

Doran, as was his way, took her gift in a serious manner. She liked that he called her Vega Creede. She was proud of her name, of her family and she was delighted that both Doran and Sir Chip had seen the gifts for what they were and what they represented. Vega concentrated on tasting just about everything, enjoying every flavour. "You know," she said with a smile. "I'm never goin' to be thin or one o' those women what has an appetite like a sparrow. My fella is too good a chef for that." She glanced at Arlo and sent a prayer of thanks to Xiur that Arlo knew what she was feeling at any given moment. Because she surely didn't have the words to tell him.

As for Doran's idea of doing it again, Vega nodded her head. "I agree whole heartedly," she said. "We should do this again. I don't have lots of friends, so spendin' an evenin' with two of them is a very welcome thing." She grinned then. "Besides, as this pregnancy progresses, I'm goin' to end up so fat that I can't move an' I'll jus' sit here an' eat Arlo's food." It was quite the visual, she though with a grin. "So a bit of distraction for him sounds like a right good thing."

word count: 397

Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

]

A four-hander! My first such. The decision to let everybody have a full post to respond to the other stories before continuing on to their own worked, IMO. And you all write such distinct characters and so well! I thought this thread might prove to be a chore to review, yet it wasn’t. Not at all. A joy to read.

All:

Experience: +15 xp
Loot: no
Injuries/Overstepping: Reviewer's Discretion
Renown: None. Although famous, you all already knew each other, kept the get-together private, and did nothing to attract notoriety. Plus the paparazzi on Faldrass aren’t that well-organized yet. :p
Wealth Points: no
Collaboration: Yes
Magic Experience?: No
Vega

Knowledge:

Skill Knowledge:

Socialisation x 5
Storytelling x 1
Storytelling: The nap of Skeeterwampulus: A harrowing warning not to wake the monster of the wetlands.
Storytelling: The Mouse and Schnizzlesnoot: A story about how a mouse outsmarted an entire forest, by befriending the scariest things in it.
Storytelling: The Story of 416 and Baron Smooglenuff: How Enri named the big monster Smooglenuff so it wouldn't seem so scary.
Storytelling: The Seige of Jesine's Fairy Court: How Kisaik and the Wardens of the First Tree saved Jesine's Fairy court.

Skillplay: Appropriate to level

Comments: The Schnizzlesnoot indeed. The story Vega told seems appropriate for her; she’s the sort to value cleverness in a hero over power level. Vega shows her own cleverness, as well as her warmth and generosity in this thread. Even if she didn’t give Arlo a clam shell.

I’m sure that he’ll agree that having Vega is more than a fair trade for a clam shell. Or, failing that, that he’ll have the sense to keep his mouth shut.
Arlo

Knowledges:

Skill:
Storytelling: The story of the Skeeterwampulus
Storytelling: The mouse and the Schnizzlesnoot
Storytelling: The story of Enri Von Smooglenuff
Storytelling: The true story of the near-fall of the Fairy Court of Jesine
Cooking: x 5

Skillplay: Appropriate to level.

Comments: Arlo had to go first in the storytelling; that’s never easy, yet he raised the bar for everybody else with the Skeeterwampulus. What a delightful bit of doggerel! And he framed it effectively by presenting it as a bit of family lore. The fact that he has chosen to embrace Jonas as a father, and Jonas’ family heritage as his own, is quite endearing. Also, I love “chirp chips”!
Doran

Knowledges:

Skill Knowledges

Etiquette: Congratulating a woman on her pregnancy
Storytelling: The story of the Skeeterwampulus
Storytelling: The mouse and the Schnizzlesnoot
Storytelling: The story of Enri Von Smooglenuff
Storytelling: The true story of the near-fall of the Fairy Court of Jesine
Storytelling: Providing your audience with a bit of background helps them understand the significance of your story
Storytelling: Speaking in a firm tone of voice in order to convey the significance of your story
Storytelling: Considering which story to tell your audience
Storytelling: A good story never really ends
Storytelling: Many of the best stories are heavy on truth

Non-skill

Kisaik: A Mortalborn

Comments: Doran is more cerebral and self-contained than the others in this group, but he still manages to come across as suitably warm and generous. I loved his curiosity about Kisaik’s abilities. Do that thing with your legs! And your arms! That almost childlike curiosity added a delightful touch to the often rather professorial professor. The Smooglenuff story never gets old. At least, it hasn’t yet.
Kisaik

Knowledges:

Skill:
[*]Etiquette: x 2
[*]Socialization: x 4
[*]Storytelling: The nap of Skeeterwampulus: A harrowing warning not to wake the monster of the wetlands.
[*]Storytelling: The Mouse and Schnizzlesnoot: A story about how a mouse outsmarted an entire forest, by befriending the scariest things in it.
[*]Storytelling: The Story of 416 and Baron Smooglenuff: How Enri named the big monster Smooglenuff so it wouldn't seem so scary.
[*]Storytelling: The Seige of Jesine's Fairy Court: How Kisaik and the Wardens of the First Tree saved Jesine's Fairy court.

Comments: You didn’t do the alliteration thing with your story character’s name! Kisaik’s always gotta be different!

Well, Kisaik IS different, though, isn’t he. I like how you convey his somewhat alien nature while still managing to make him relatable and even charming. No mean feat! And his little flourish when Doran asked if he could change the length of his arms made me laugh.

Let me know if any of you have any questions/feedback. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 767
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”