• Solo • Men who Stare at Goat Mutants, Part 1

Or: How Devin got his Legendary Mount.

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Men who Stare at Goat Mutants, Part 1

Ashan 19, Arc 721

Somewhere right outside Scalvoris Town.

“Aidan, do you think that goats and Scalvwings are compatible?” Devin abruptly asked his roommate as they walked back on the road to Scalvoris Town – the young Mortalborn had visited a patient that lived outside the city (even though he was a Baron now, he still treated patients whenever he visited the mainland), and Aidan had accompanied him and procured supplies a few for the Barony and for them in the meantime.

“What exactly do you mean?” the slightly older man who was carrying a backpack wanted to know, stopped for a moment and looked at him with unmistakable curiosity. He was used to Devin asking strange questions, but he wasn’t sure what the point of that question was. He didn’t think that Devin had ever been interested in animal husbandry before!

“Do you think that they can have children together?” the Mortalborn clarified.

“I … I don’t think so”, Aidan replied hesitantly and proceeded to shake his head. “At least I ‘ve never heard anybody that tried to cross goats and Scalvwings before”, he admitted.

“Well, what’s that then?” Devin wanted to know and pointed at a shaggy creature with wings that he had noticed in a brush at the side of the road and that had prompted him to ask that question. “A Grafting experiment gone wrong? A mutant? It really looks like someone crossed a goat and a Scalvwing. It’s a …” he continued and furrowed his brow for a moment.

“… scalvwinggoat!” he finished with a triumphant look and a huge smile on his face and proceeded to stare at the unusual looking creature in fascination some more because he still didn’t know what exactly it was or where it was coming from. He just knew that it was absolutely amazing!

It had a pair of horns and nice soft fur, just like his beloved little pet goat Heidi, except that it was black, and it bleated just like her, too, but it had a pair of wings just like a Scalvwing!

Last edited by Devin on Sun May 02, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 348

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Men who Stare at Goat Mutants

“Devin, what exactly did you put into the stew that you made for lunch to-trial?” Aidan suddenly asked while he continued to stare at the creature some more, his brown eyes incredibly wide. “You didn’t experiment again, did you?” he added, his tone of voice tinged with unmistakable suspicion. Devin was a decent cook nowadays, at least most of the time, but he had a penchant for dumping strange ingredients into his pot and seeing what happened!

“Red pepper, cilantro, lime and garlic, among other things”, the Mortalborn replied in an extremely dry tone of voice. “You are definitely not high and hallucinating, if that’s what you are wondering about, and neither am I. At least I don’t think so”, he added and furrowed his brow a little as he considered the possibility that the creature that he had discovered might not be real after all. Aidan’s statement had made him wonder.

No, he didn’t think that he had ingested any questionable substances, unless the cilantro that merchant had sold him had not been cilantro after all, but something completely different. The cigar that he had smoked had just been a normal cigar, from what he knew, and he hadn’t drunk any alcohol yet. He only drank alcohol after he had treated his last patient of the trial!

“Okay, then this is definitely a winged goat – with a halter and a saddle - which means that it’s probably not a wild animal but has escaped from somewhere. We should try and catch it and see if we can find its owner. They might already be looking for it”, Aidan decided. He had always been rather practically inclined, so he didn’t spend too much time wondering how the creature had come into existence (although he considered it to be highly unlikely that a Scalvwing and a goat had done it together and created some sort of hybrid.)

“Maybe it won’t run if we give it some sort of treat”, Aidan mused – only to stop talking abruptly and stare again, this time at Devin. The Mortalborn had reached into his bag, removed the sandwich that he had bought in case he got hungry during the walk back home and started to unwrap it. It was mostly filled with vegetables, but still, he wasn’t sure if …

“Devin, I’m not sure if it should eat …”, Aidan began, but the Mortalborn had already started to walk towards the creature and was holding his sandwich out to it, cooing softly as he did so in order to let the creature know that he didn’t mean any harm. Aidan shook his head for a moment and sighed, and then he followed.

“See, it loves my sandwich!” Devin informed the older man, smiling all over his face, as the creature started munching on it and bleated quite happily. He didn’t share Aidan’s worries that the sandwich might not be good for the creature’s health. His pet goat Heidi hat eaten his homework once. Compared to that, a sandwich was the healthiest food ever!

While the creature was distracted by the unexpected treat – it seemed to be quite hungry, as if it hadn’t eaten anything for a while – Aidan quickly grabbed its reins so that it wouldn’t be able to run – except that the strange, winged creature didn’t even attempt to run!

“It seems to be used to being around people and fairly trusting”, Aidan who actually knew something about animals and training them observed. “Which makes me even more curious as to why it’s all alone out here”, he murmured and patted the creature.

“Maybe it just didn’t like its old owner – or the place where it used to live. When they took it out of the stable and saddled it, it saw an opportunity and ran”, Devin spontaneously decided and shrugged his shoulders. “I didn’t like Rynmere particularly, so I left a soon as I was old enough”, he pointed out before he eyed the creature appraisingly once more. It was quite fascinating! He loved goats, and he loved birds! This was like his two favourite types of animals in one!

And what more, it seemed as if it had been used as a mount. He’d always wanted to ride a goat, but his Heidi was unfortunately too small to be ridden by anybody but a little child!

So, while Aidan was still wondering where the creature had come from and how they would be able to track down its owner, the very excited Mortalborn decided to just walk to its other side. Whispering softly and telling it how beautiful it was (Because it really was in his opinion!), he placed one hand on the saddle and gestured for the older man to hand him the reins.

Aidan refused to hand him the reins though. He shook his head and informed him in no uncertain terms, “You really shouldn’t be doing that, Devin. I know that you want to keep it and ride it, but you can’t. It’s not yours. We need to find its owner.”

As if on cue, the creature that had been quite calm so far bleated. Devin wasn’t sure if it bleated because it agreed or because it really didn’t want to meet its owner – the thought processes of goats and creatures that kind of looked like goats were a mystery to him – and if it actually understood anything, but he decided to let go of the saddle and listen regardless.

word count: 935

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Men who Stare at Goat Mutants

In Devin’s opinion, trying out this strange mount that definitely didn’t belong to him when nobody was watching wasn’t a problem (It would only be one if the owner were nearby!), but he realized that he couldn’t just keep the creature, especially since it was clearly not a wild animal and rather unusual looking on top of it – which meant that it was easy to identify. If someone found out that it didn’t really belong to him, things could get very unpleasant, especially now that he was a Baron. He might even end up in prison!

He didn’t like prison!

So, he took the reins of the strange beast that he had already come to love a little because it was weird, and he liked weird things into his right hand instead and started to lead it back to the road. It had, as he had concluded, been used as a mount, and it seemed to be used to being around people, but it still didn’t follow him right away. It only did what it was supposed to do once Aidan had reluctantly handed him some of the lettuce that he had bought. Judging from the way it munched on it, it really liked lettuce.

But then again, it might just like all kinds of food!

“I think”, Devin decided and pulled the hood of his very stylish purple coat over his head because it was still relatively early in the season and rather cold as a consequence. “We could just post a message on the noticeboard. This way, a lot of people can see it at the same time. And if that doesn’t work, we could check the stable – or talk to someone who knows something about zoology or magic at the university.”

“I think I’ve figured out what it is for good though”,
he said to Aidan and wiggled his left hand whose fingers ended in sharp and shiny black nails a little bit. “If a Grafter can take spikes from a monster, make nails out of them and stick them onto the hands of a …” he continued and paused for a moment. He had wanted to say “human”, but he wasn’t really one. The problem was that he hadn’t told Aidan that he was a Mortalbornyet because he wasn’t sure how to go about it.

“… human”, he continued anyway and smiled brightly because there was nothing wrong with a secret every now and then, and he actually kind of enjoyed having such a huge secret. “They can probably put wings on a goat or goat parts on a Scalvwing with relative ease as well. I just wish the Graft initiation were a little less disgusting, and you weren’t at such a risk of mutating horribly and becoming ugly”, he added and sighed.

Graft, Devin thought as they made their way back to town, had so much potential. Which idiot had decided that you needed to eat your mentor’s regurgitated flesh – repeatedly – in order to become a Grafter though?

He didn’t want to do that!

Continued here.

word count: 524

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Avalon
Race: Prophet
Profession: Bootiful Bean
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Re: Men who Stare at Goat Mutants, Part 1

Review Rewards

Name: Devin

Points awarded: 10xp

Knowledge:
Animal Training: Giving an animal food to make it like you
Animal Training: Using reins to lead an animal
Animal Training: Cooing to let an animal know you mean no harm
Animal Training: Giving food if an animal stops following you
Deception: Saying you are a human even though you aren’t one
Etiquette: Don’t just ride an animal that doesn’t belong to you!

Skill Review: All Skills used appropriate to level

Notes:
Oh Devin! I'm always excited when I come across a Devin adventure. I love his thirst for life and new experiences. I love that he loves sparkles and glitter. I love that he puts weird things in his cooking.

In this adventure, we meet a Scalvwinggoat! Yay! I love this creature already and we just met.

Journeying into Devin's thought process is always a wondrous thing. I still remember when he found out Alyssia was homeless and offered to buy her a house! Here, we see many examples of the way his mind works just a littttttle differently than others. The goat ran away because it didn't like where it lived....just like Devin ran from Rynmere. In his mind, those events are connected and it's so fun to watch the wheels turning in his head.

I will be giving you a more comprehensive review at the conclusion of this story....but I love it so far!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this review, feel free to PM. Enjoy your rewards!

Avalon

word count: 263
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”