[Haven] Back to Basics

22nd of Ashan 721

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 1020
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Haven] Back to Basics

When Elisabeth started attacking in earnest, Prae figured she’d found that sweet spot where focus meant nothing and everything all at once.

She started off with a spinning strike—he was starting to think of it as her signature move, but it suited her well, especially up against a larger opponent—aimed at his ribs, keeping her eyes fixed on her target as she swung. “Good,” he said. “Your accuracy is improving.”

But even as he said the words, his staff was already sweeping down to block the blow. “Turning your head like that will do wonders for your speed and accuracy, but it also telegraphs your next attack. Now, that’s perfectly fine against some enemies, but you need to be constantly thinking about this balancing act. Do you need to speed at the expense of everything else? Or would a slower, harder blow do the job better?“

She moved again, and he twisted, bringing his staff up to knock aside a jab; only the jab never came—instead, she changed positions, and brought her sword down on his staff. “Very good,” he called out as the weapon was being pulled away from him. The staff had two points of contact, so he let go of the weapon with his right hand, and stepped back to spin it away from her sword. It gave Elisabeth a few moments where Prae couldn’t use his weapon, but it was better than fully disarming himself.

“I’m slower than you are, so I have to rely on prediction to block your attacks—so naturally, a feint like that is my hard counter. Against someone relying on pure speed and strength, it might not be so useful. Know yourself and know your enemy, and you’ll always pick the right technique for the job.”
word count: 303
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand
  • A ring of light around his left forearm

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist
  • His body temperature is uncomfortably high

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
  • The area around him is slightly more static-y than normal
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Arc 721, 21 Ashan

Prae noted, rightly, that Elisabeth enjoyed employing spinning attacks. The young woman didn’t use them often against Balthazar because was aware of her fondness for them and tended to employ countermeasures. In truth, Balthazar was the only opponent Elisabeth had been able to spar against in recent times that could offer a challenge. He may have been able to best her easily in unarmed combat, but blades were her domain between the two.

Spinning attacks, in her mind, allowed one like herself of small stature and strength the ability to use the motion of her body to generate momentum and speed, allowing inertia to assist with her opening attacks.

He called out several constructive criticisms, which in her mind were all well-spoken. Elisabeth was so used to sparring with Balthazar that sometimes she fell into habits that she shouldn’t. She knew a few variations on tactics that she hadn’t the last time her and the Ithecal sparred.

Watching him spin his staff away from her sword, Elisabeth backed up a bit, realizing that one-handed, the staff would actually have greater reach should Prae want it. Smiling, she listened to what he spoke of knowing one’s self and the enemy. There was wisdom in the words, but it was within them that she found a question.

Lowering her guard, she inclined her head gently, speaking softly. “I understand that...and that’s easy when I’m sparring against you or Balthazar. I’ve seen enough of how each of you fight to know in general terms what to expect, even if not specifically.” Kicking a bit of sand as she made her way through the thought, Elisabeth continued. “How can you know such things when its someone you’ve never faced before?”

The issue was something she often struggled with. Elisabeth had trained extensively, but when it came to actual battle experience, she had very little. The young woman wanted to be ready for it, but didn’t know the best manner in which to do so.

word count: 346
Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 1020
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Prae tipped his head slightly to the side as Elisabeth backed up. She was rightfully worried about his range, he guessed, but— “Mind the flow of a fight,” he advised. “Backing off is safer, but gives your enemy time to recover. If you have the advantage, press it unless you have a good reason not to. Especially if you have the speed or strength to push your enemy back.”

When she lowered her blade to ask her question, Prae backed off as well, idly spinning his staff at his side as he considered her dilemma.

“You’re right, you can’t know how a stranger is going to fight. But you can make educated guesses.”

Prae gestured broadly to himself. “Build is a good indicator of how an enemy has trained, and how they have to move—someone like me, big and bulky, is usually going to make slower movements than someone lithe like you, or wiry like Balthazar.”

“Weapons are also a good hint—someone with a dagger is going to have to move in close to you to attack, and will probably take speed and accuracy over strength. Whereas something like this…“

Dismissing the staff, Prae summoned his halberd to his hand, hefting the massive weapon in both hands. “You can be sure someone with this in hand is going to be hitting hard and slow.”

He dismissed it again. “All of these are only impressions, of course, the sort you’ll learn to make at first glance. Most of what you’ll learn will happen as you fight—you’ll naturally get to see your opponent’s strengths, weakness, tells and tics. A fight will often start with two fighters probing each other, trying to get a feel for their enemy's strengths without revealing too much themselves. ”

“Does that answer your question?”
word count: 306
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand
  • A ring of light around his left forearm

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist
  • His body temperature is uncomfortably high

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
  • The area around him is slightly more static-y than normal
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Arc 721, 21 Ashan

Mind the flow of the fight. Nodding as she took in his words, she realized that he was telling her that she had given up the advantage by backing off. Her caution had cost her to opportunity to advance against him further, and she appreciated the notes. One thing she respected about Praetorum’s teaching style was that he broke things down into digestible pieces she could understand and quickly integrate. Balthazar’s style was much harsher, but no less effective. Being taught by both allowed her to benefit from both styles.

As the Ithecal answered her question, Elisabeth listened to him outline something that she understood on a smaller scale, but not in respect to figuring out an opponent. Of course, she knew Praetorum moved slower than she did, but she also knew he hit much, much harder. In her mind, she hadn’t yet bridged the gap between noting one’s attributes and applying it to their perceived fighting style.

Truthfully, it wasn’t all her fault though. Being in Haven, isolated, the pool of potential sparring partners was limited and besides Balthazar himself, all relative beginners. She knew who had unarmed combat skills in Haven, and she knew how they fought. She needed to be introduced to new people with new abilities and skills to truly hone her capacity to make judgements of that nature.

Nodding her head gently, she grinned at him. “Yes. Although I’m sure I can think of a million more for you. Perhaps we can discuss further over a nighttime snack?”

In the grand scheme of things, Elisabeth knew why Prae insisted on these little training sessions. Seeing each other as infrequently as they did, he was always curious where she was in her skills. Secretly, however, Elisabeth felt that he used it as a way to ascertain how she was doing, and Defiance and blade training were good manners in which to do that. Whatever the purpose or reason, she was simply grateful that he cared enough about her to do so. It spoke volumes of the Ithecal she had come to consider family.

word count: 357
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Praetorum:
Tactics x4
Teaching x8

Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.

Elisabeth:

Knowledge:
Athletics - Disruption of motion is disadvantageous
Athletics - Jumping back to avoid getting hit
Athletics - Spotting a target before spinning will help stop dizziness
Athletics - Shifting one's core to maintain balance after being pushed
Combat: Blade - Backhanded strike
Combat: Blade - Feigning a jab with one's sword
Combat: Blade - Downward strike
Mediation - Finding one's center within flow of combat
Tactics - Testing an opponent's reflexes is a viable opening move
Tactics - Retreat is a valid option when you need to regroup
Tactics - Mind the flow of a fight

Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: I always enjoy a good fighting thread, and this fight between two very skilled PCs was definitely a lot of fun. I found it interesting that Elisabeth and Praetorum fought without magic. Your posts flowed well in my opinion. The action was entertaining to read, and I had no trouble envisioning what your PCs were doing. I liked how Praetorum was testing Elisabeth’s skills, and how Elisabeth didn’t just rush into the fight, but approached it from a tactical point of view.

Elisabeth has definitely come a long way since she first started to learn how to use a weapon and since her first fight with Praetorum (I think I reviewed that as well – correct me if I’m wrong, please!)!

I also appreciate that she warmed up prior to the fight. That is something that is easily overlooked sometimes, so thank you for writing about it. I can’t help but wonder if Elisabeth was wearing armor though, like Prae. I couldn’t find any mention of that in your posts.

Unless I overlooked something?

Elisabeth, I decided not to award you the following knowledge:

Tactics - Minding the tail when fighting an Ithecal is wise: In my opinion, paying attention to an Ithecal’s tail doesn’t have anything to do with combat tactics or combat techniques, especially since Elisabeth didn’t think about how to best fight someone with a tail in the post in question. Instead, you simply mentioned that she didn’t anticipate Praetorum’s tail.

Worded a bit differently – Elisabeth only saw Praetorum’s tail move in at the last minute – it could be a Detection knowledge in my opinion though. Let me know if you’d like a Detection knowledge, or if you want a different replacement knowledge, and I’ll edit this review!

That being said, I wonder if Elisabeth and Praetorum will fight again sometime, especially since she admitted that she could think of a million more questions for him. I’d love to read that!

Enjoy your rewards!

P.S.: Praetorum, I might have added “Detection” to the list of skills used as your PC observed Elisabeth’s movements. “Detection” also played a part in your posts in my opinion, Elisabeth.

P.P.S.: Praetorum, when I checked your CS to see what exactly your special leather armor does, I noticed that it seems to have been awarded during the Call. Could you add a link to the thread where you acquired it to your CS, please?
word count: 543

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”