[Hopetoun] Good fences make good neighbours

2nd of Ashan 721

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1729
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Hopetoun] Good fences make good neighbours

2nd Trial of Ashan during Arc 721
following this

She'd told Arlo about the pregnancy and that made it more real. More real, more terrifying. More.

And it was their baby, and their family, but it was her pregnancy.

Vega knew that, on one level, that made her lucky. Arlo had to be with her during this, to stand by and support - to have all of the worry but none of the focus. It would be hard for him to watch and worry. Equally, she knew that it would be hard for her to wonder if each and every twitch and twinge in her body was something to be concerned about. They both wanted this baby so very much ~ and they were both busy reassuring each other that it was going to be alright and, even if it wasn't ~ as it had not been so many times before ~ then they would see it through.

Vega had no doubts about them; she and Arlo had been through too much for her to have any doubt there. However, she knew that as much as he would be there with her, no matter what, she had things to work through. Things to deal with. And she was doing so - in her own time and at her own pace. She smiled as her cousin, Huw, walked up to her. "How go the fences, Eva?" Huw was the eldest of her three cousins, and the most sensible and least obnoxious in her eyes. Things had been tricky, when she and Arlo had first gotten together. Her cousins were very strange about mixed-race marriages and even more so considering that she was mixed race to begin with. Vega looked at him and considered that family was a strange thing and, these trials, things were good between them and for that she was profoundly grateful. "They're good thanks. I think we're really gettin' there. You helpin' today?"

Huw nodded and gestured to where his brothers were meandering over. "The twins too." Vega grinned. "Yer a good bunch, despite all the evidence to the contrary an' what I normally say about you," Huw chuckled and shook his head. "You are impossible. Now, what is the plan?"

"Well," Vega said."We've spent three trials makin' fencin', an' now I reckon is the time to get folks helpin' an' gettin' them up." Huw nodded. "Folks?"

"The people here, they're helpful an' this benefits them," Vega said. "As we've been workin' peopleI'm assuming this since they are settlement NPCs, I'm leaving out the specifics have been helpin'. There's keen folks, that's for sure." She smiled. She liked keen. "An' they're willin' to work, too." Which could only be a good thing, as far as Vega was concerned. "I'm goin' to finish the last of the fence sections, to-trial, but I'm figurin' there may come a trial when they keep livestock, so I'm goin' to make spares of the outer fencin', jus' the normal stuff, so that they've got it." Huw nodded as his brothers arrived.

The family got to work, and as Vega was cutting the wood for the fence, she glanced up. "What're you lookin' at?" Huw was staring at her, quizzically. He shook his head. "It's good to see you like this," he replied. Vega smiled. "It righ' near did for me, Storm's Edge," she said. "I mean, right near. I missed you all. Even you." She smiled at him and he grinned back. "An' it were hard. Really hard." Vega shrugged. "It was difficult to keep hopeful, you know?" Huw nodded. He understood that, for Vega to say that it must have been a dire situation indeed.

"An' I need to rest - but not to stop. I like bein' physical an' active, an' here? Here it's easy to feel hope."

Huw looked at her and moved over to her. Leaning forward he kissed her forehead. Vega grinned at him and thumped him - gently for her - on his shoulder. "What you doin' you creep, gerroff me." But she smiled as she said it.

"So," he said with a grin. "We make fences to bring hope?"

Vega chuckled. "You know what they say, Huw. Good fences make good neighbours."
word count: 721

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1729
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Hopetoun] Good fences make good neighbours

2nd Trial of Ashan during Arc 721
following this

"I have never heard that expression," Huw said and Vega chuckled. "It's a land-livin' sort of expression is why," she explained. "You build fences between gardens when the houses are in rows." Huw looked about as horrified as he felt and he nodded. "The good fence stops you seein' your neighbour, an' gives privacy. So, good fences make good neighbours." Huw nodded.

"Everythin' alrigh' over there?" Vega called to Shon and Reese who were putting up the fences with the help of some of the settlers. They called back that yes, it was fine, and Vega turned back to her job. She and Huw were working together, she was - in her mind - instructing him carefully. "Will you stop doin' that, you dweeb, yer wobblin' it all over the shop!" In his mind, she was being cantankerous and bossy. Either way, she grabbed his hand and placed it where she wanted it to go, holding the post in place so that she could check it. "You know, I reckon that we missed a trick with these," she said, carefully sanding off the top of the post she was working on.

"Oh?" Huw said. Looking at her with some scepticism, he pointed out what was obvious to him. "Rather than build one fence, you've made two with a source of clean water in between. How is that missing a trick?" Vega grinned. "It's the bee trick what we missed. See, flowers grow more an' better when there's bees. An' I reckon that we could get a really nice bee population goin' here." Huw looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "And how do fences equal bees?"

Vega chuckled. "Planters on the top, with bee-attractin' flowers. Arlo an' I, we found some grizzly bees, last time we was in Scalv. In the sweetwine woods, it was." Huw's expression was incredulous. "Grizzly ... bees?" Vega nodded. "An' bumble bears. I swear, this place has the same way of namin' things I do. Ok, these two are on the same plane, flat, an' sanded. Keep that one, hold it, an' I'll use it as the measure for the next one." Huw did as he was told and Vega started working on the next post. Getting the holes in the same place, having the fence be an exactly uniform height. They weren't strictly necessary for the fence to stand, but she knew that they would make a difference. So, she worked.

"Any how, Arlo got this honey from them, an' you know, that is amazin' that honey. I reckon, we should get bee-attractin' flowers." Huw shook his head, slightly. "Which flowers are those Eva?" He looked at her with an expression of half-fondness, half-exasperation as she focused on the finishing touches on the fence poles. Her cousins, her father, the people who lived here - they were good at this. They could make strong, sturdy fences. But Vega knew that she could make better ones, so she worked on the finishing touches, the small and important details. Because she did them better.

"Which flowers are bee-attractin'?" Vega repeated his question and shrugged. "Buzzed if I know, Huw. I see myself as more of an ideas person, you know? Not an implementer in this case. I mean, Grizzly Bees are ferocious an' huge. We probably don't want them. But, I'm jus' thinkin' aloud, you know?"

He nodded. "You're planning more long term, to be here?" Vega shrugged slightly. "I dunno. I think so. Till we decide different, anyhow." Of course, there were reasons why she knew that they were staying at least throughout the next cycle and into the one after, but she wasn't sharing that news yet. "Righteo.That's this one done."

In contrast to how she might appear, Vega was meticulous with the woodworking she did. She frowned and double checked the three posts, making sure that she wasn't repeating a tiny error which would exacerbate and grow as she continued. But, satisfied that she was not, she started on the sanding and finishing of the fourth post. She was quiet and then Huw spoke again. "What's going on with you, Eva?" Vega lifted her gaze to him, questioningly. "There's something going on, I know you. There's things you are not telling me."

Vega nodded. "There are," she said. "An' that's goin' to remain the case until I change my mind an' do so. Until then, how about you wind yer beak in, an' don't worry. I'm fine, Arlo's fine, Papa, you, the twins. Even the useless people you all call wives. All fine."

His brow furrowed in frustration. "Then, why do you not tell me?" Huw looked at her and Vega grinned.

"Because good fences make good neighbours, Huw. An' until I want to show you what's goin' on in my life, you'll jus' have to sit your side of the fence, an' live with what's going on in yours." He sighed and spoke in a resigned tone. "You are a very difficult woman."

"I know," Vega said. "Adorable, innit?"
word count: 872

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

Re: [Hopetoun] Good fences make good neighbours

Experience: +10 xp

Knowledge:
Skill
Construction: Comparing the size and shape of construction pieces
Construction: Ensure that small errors are not enhanced via repetition
Construction: Teamwork in construction tasks helps.
Woodworking: Finishing off fence posts
Woodworking: Stand a piece up to finish it, if it will be placed vertically
Woodworking: Ensuring that holes are at exact uniform height

Skillplay: Appropriate to level

Loot: None.

Injuries/Overstepping: None.

Renown: None.

Comments: Hey! I see what you did there! One of those simiphor things!

Vega and her cousins make such a good addition to Hopetoun, not just logistically but story-wise. The tension between the comfort of having a supportive clan and wanting to maintain some privacy is going to be interesting, especially as Vega’s pregnancy progresses. How much more will she become willing to let people in? How much more will she have to?

I can’t remember if I’ve reviewed a thread where Vega mainly works with her hands, but the revelation that she’s a perfectionist was new to me. And it’s in keeping with her independence, her wanting to do things herself and keep things to herself.

The ideas she has for the development of Hopetoun sound exciting. Bees! There’s a honey badger you might want to talk to!

Let me know if either of you have any questions/feedback. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 229
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”