[Haven] While You Were Sleeping...

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

[Haven] While You Were Sleeping...

Arc 721, 20 Ashan

Blinking at the light as she stepped outside the tent she shared with Balthazar, the young mage moved onto the beach and towards her morning destination. Balthazar had been in and out of the tent during in the middle of the night, fussing with something she assumed. If it was important enough, he always woke her, but he hadn’t this time, so Elisabeth had taken the opportunity to get a little extra sleep.

She found it slightly adorable how, before he left the tent, she always heard him pause by her cot. It wasn't difficult to figure out what he was doing, but of course with the shadows watching, it was never more than an affectionate look before he swept out of the tent. The young woman would have to remember to tease him about that sometrial.

Elisabeth had three happy places – the beach, under the pink tree in Serenity Garden, and next to Balthazar. Add Balthazar to either of the first two and she was exceptionally happy. Their relationship since arriving in Haven had been a bit bumpy. Both had been dealing with the fallout of their incarceration and what their new normal looked like. It obviously had been tougher on Balthazar, but she hadn’t escaped unscathed.

It had been several trials and finally things were back on the right path. He was smiling and laughing again, which in her book was a particularly good sign. Their relationship was solid, and they had begun doing the settlement tours that he had previously done alone, together. In fact, most trials they spent a good amount of time together working on various projects, which made her happy.

She had not forgotten about training though. That was always first and foremost, which is why she sought the beach that morning. It was time for a bit of meditation before Defiance work. Lowering to the warm sand, she crossed her legs and closed sapphire eyes, letting her mind drift where it wanted to. It was becoming noticeable the more she meditated, the easier it was to find that state, even having used it in combat against Balthazar to push pain aside. It was a good feeling knowing that she was becoming more adept at skills instead of not progressing but then again, she and Balthazar were both disciplined when it came to training routines so there was never much worry that her skills would fall to the wayside.

Breathing in and out, letting her chest fall and rise with the ocean waves, she let peace flow through her.

Maybe thirty bits later, she felt herself begin to fall out of the meditative state. Sometimes it happened and she never worried too much about it. One of her rules about meditation was to allow it to take as long as it took, never push or force. When her mind said she was done, it was time to move on.

Opening her eyes, finding the waves again, she gently stretched her neck a bit, loosening the muscles in her arms and sat watching the ocean for a moment longer.

It really was beautiful sight.

word count: 526
Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 1020
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Haven] While You Were Sleeping...

Prae had woken, as ever, at what would have been the first light of dawn in any later season—this close to Cylus though, it was still dark,bwith the barest hint of sunlight peeking over the water. As had become his habit, he’d taken some time to sit and meditate, and check on his companions. Even with his attunement spark soothing his flow spark, Prae had enough space in Suspicion to hold on to all his most important frequencies. Now, he reached out one by one to check on them in turn.

Sneabru was still asleep in his quarters in Rharne, with a dagger under his pillow but not clutched in his hand—an improvement from last arc, at least. He’d relaxed some over the past few seasons, no longer so convinced that a Miami would come for him in the night anymore. He still struggled with the ghost whispers, his necromantic overstepping, but they no longer disrupted his sleep, it seemed.

Ricky had apparently gone out on an early morning ride, flying his Scalvwing through the air. He was too high for Prae to make out where he was exactly, the range of Prae’s omnivision only able to make out wind rushing past. But the man seemed well and content, so Prae was happy to leave him to it.

Clarissa was at a bar—one of her old haunts, he assumed. He’d almost forgotten she was a native Scalvorian until they’d arrived, but she’d reminded him of that quick enough. He’d barely seen her since they arrived, the woman flitting in and out of his periphery reacquainting herself with her home city. It didn’t bother him much—she had the echo scroll, and could contact him when she needed.

The banners and scabbard were in his bag and on his wrist respectively, and Prae had found his attunement spark could not project quite yet to Skydas Keep, the place too large for his skill with attunement to deal with, he guessed.

With his morning ritual done, Prae stood, and stretched lightly, before walking out into the Ashan air. He had a human to find.

Closing his eyes, Prae released his soothing of his spark, but gently caught the note of magic in it, feeling it ripple outwards from him. As he doused for identical notes, he felt the closest come from his domain bag, clearly magical. He ignored it, pushing his awareness further out.

Another ping came from the village, heavy and rippling with power—Balthazar, no doubt. And then a third ping, lighter, quieter, this time from the beach. Prae smiled. Only one other mage in this place.

Following the note of new magic, Prae walked along the outer edge of the village until the ground turned to sand. Elisabeth sat a little ways away, facing away from him, almost perfectly still.

He waited a little, until she moved, stretching and craning her neck; then, he stepped forwards, sending a tendril of air ahead of him to swirl around her playfully.

“I see you’ve taken well to village life.” Prae teased, approaching slowly. “Quite a bit slower than life at Storm’s Edge. Safer too, I’d guess.”
Last edited by Praetorum on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 540
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand
  • A ring of light around his left forearm

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist
  • His body temperature is uncomfortably high

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
  • The area around him is slightly more static-y than normal
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 20 Ashan

Elisabeth was still lost in her thoughts when the air came, teasing her hair, head lifting in curiosity, trying to figure out what was going on. She was used to the amount of deference the elements gave her but it wasn’t necessarily windy. Her thoughts then quickly shifted to Balthazar…but no. He didn’t have his magic back yet. She was the only mage in Haven and certainly the only Defiance mage...

Or so she thought.

She heard the voice before she saw him, and it instantly brought a smile to her face. “Prae?!?!” Turning every which way until she caught sight of him, the young mage quickly found her feet.

There might have been a little squealing of delight. Maybe. Well, no…there definitely was.

Feet dug into the sand, raven curls splayed behind her as she ran towards him, launching herself at the mage, utterly not caring how large he was and that hugging an Ithecal was something of an exercise in logistics.

Elisabeth did not care. At all.

Laughing, she managed to detangle herself, laying her hands on his arms gently, smiling up at him. “When did you get here? No, let me guess. Middle of the night? Of course – that’s what Balthazar was up doing. No matter.” She appeared nothing less than happy and joyful to see him. The last time they had been together was at her Defiance initiation. Trial by fire, and in the end, she had been accepted by the elements that blessed them both. He was her mentor and friend, and there were no words to express how glad she was that he had found his way to them.

“So, are you here by chance, or is this all an elaborate ruse that man of mine concocted to make me train more?” Grinning at the Ithecal, she assumed the latter but didn’t want to ruin the fun.

Looping her arm through his, she gently led him down the beach so they could catch up. She wasn’t sure how much Balthazar had divulged to their friend, but she would know soon enough.

“And how are you, my friend? No lies. You’ve seen me naked so I think we can safely say there should be no secrets between us.” A soft laugh slipped free as Elisabeth squeezed his arm. It was alright to laugh about now but Defiance initiations were no laughing matter. Life and death. There was still some small amount of guilt at the pain she had caused Balthazar by asking him to initiate her, especially now that he was cut off from his magic, but it was something she just had to learn to live with.

Last edited by Elisabeth Black on Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 455
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Prae had to admit, the extremely high pitched noise Elisabeth made upon seeing him brought a smile to his face. It was nice to be missed, he had to admit.

He hugged her carefully, mindful of the human’s much smaller size, as the wind whirled happily around them. It was good to see the younger mage again, her personality and delight infectious. “Got it in one. I came in on a ship last night, met up with Balthazar and his guard.”

He shrugged playfully at her next question. “A little of both, I suppose. I came to Scalvoris not knowing you two were here, but Balthazar caught wind and sent word to me a few trials ago, suggesting that I come. So I did. I’ll stay for a while, I don’t know yet how long, see how I can help out around the place.“

He smiled wryly. “And of course, I’m going to put you through your paces, magically and otherwise. With the number of wars that seem to be starting around the continent, it only seems prudent.“

It was on the tip of his tongue to reassure her that he was fine, that there was nothing wrong with him. But something stilled the words in his throat. Emotional honesty, Hong was always telling him. Prae sighed. “I’ve… been better.” He admitted reluctantly. “Arcs of traveling and fighting catching up to me, I suppose.” Or maybe just his cycles in Melrath. No, the truth was he’d been running from his own exhaustion since he left the Empire. Niflheim had only made it worse.

“Still, nothing some rest won’t fix.” He reassured her. “I’m more curious to know how you’ve been doing. I hear you and Balthazar have had a very busy few seasons. This village, getting arrested, the war brewing around us—how have you been dealing with it all?”
word count: 319

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 20 Ashan

Grinning broadly, she didn’t let him get too far away from her, making sure her hand was somewhere in the vicinity of his arm as they spoke. “Ah yes, the ever-present shadows…although I’m sure we will be speaking about them in length soon enough, knowing how our conversations go.”

Laughing softly as he assured her that he would be making sure her skills were progressing, she sighed dramatically. “Such a burden it is to have so many of you concerned about my well-being. I suppose I shall just have to suffer through such things…”

The first sign of something other than happiness was when he hesitated before answering her. Ut oh. However, he remained honest instead of telling her something she knew wouldn’t be true. Stopping him in his tracks, she glanced up, giving him a sincere, concerned smile. “One thing you’ll notice about me is that my skills of observation actually exceed Balthazar’s now, so while I appreciate that you didn’t completely hide the truth from me, don’t think that I’m fooled for one moment, Praetorum.”

Giving his arm a reassuring pat, she continued. “After you are settled, maybe tonight, we can go on a walk and you can tell me what’s troubling you. Let’s get it out in the open and sort it, shall we?”

Hmmm. It seemed he and Balthazar had already spoken at length because he was up to speed on the trouble they had been in the middle of, which presented a problem. She had already warned him about keeping things from her…so how in the Beneath was she supposed to keep things from him. That really wasn’t fair, but she had talked herself into a corner.

“Oh. Well…that might take longer than a few minutes to explain.”
A soft laugh slipped free. They wouldn’t be able to get into the whole story, but she could hit a few main points. Where to even begin? “After the initiation, we stayed in Rharne for a bit longer and then visited Viden for a few trials. From there, Scalvoris. Balthazar wanted to show me around. I thought it was just going to be a quick trip and back to Rharne but that did not end up being the case. Shortly after we arrived, he asked me to stay with him in Scalvoris…and I agreed. Things were fine but he got called away a few trials after that. Soon, I received word to meet him in Almund, which I did. I will let him tell you that story if he already hasn’t, but it resulted in both of us being arrested and held. Thirty days. The cuffs Balthazar wears now are the ones that were on me.”

Sighing a bit, she stopped him with a touch. “Thirty trials, I didn’t know if he was dead or alive. No one spoke to me. I had no idea what was going on.” Recalling the trial, she conveyed pieces of it to him, so he would understand. “I won’t speak to why he was on trial as it’s not my story. I was apparently held for my protection, although it didn’t seem as such. I spoke on his behalf, testifying about the man I know him to be, and it was decided that for now, he should be cut off from his magic and lead this settlement. Both have made things…challenging.”

Prae was a friend and someone she was extraordinarily fond of, so she hid nothing from him. There was no point. “He’s angry, of course. He was angrier when we first got here. I was really worried about him then, but things are better now. Magic is still a sore spot, so I try not to use it in front of him too much.”

And, of course, she had completely talked herself around the actual question that had been asked. How was she doing?

“Balthazar and I are fine. It was a bit bumpy right after we got here but that passed. I’m still struggling with my feelings on a lot of matters. I’m worried about continuing my Defiance training when he’s cut off from things. He said I progressed, that I mutated, which is supposed to be a good thing, but I keep feeling like it’s just upsetting him more. I keep trying to tell him that this thing with his magic won’t be forever but I’m not sure if he’s listening or not.”

Drifting back down the beach again, she leaned down to pick up a piece of driftwood, tossing it into the Hollow Sea. “I’m worried about him. Not in the way that everyone else seems to be. I don’t think he’s unstable or anything like that. On one hand, not having his magic has forced him to resort to learning other skills, and I think that’s wonderful. On the other, it’s made the settlement suffer because we can’t do things as quickly. I’m the only mage here so if I can’t do something with what magic I have, we have to find other ways.”

And she still wasn’t answering his question.

Sighing again, she took a deep breath. “It’s hard to answer that question. I’ve been so focused on him since we arrived that I’m not sure how I’m doing. I know, horrible answer…” Laughing a bit, she gave him a smile. “I absolutely cannot convey adequately how happy I am to see you.”

word count: 947
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The human really was too perceptive for her own good, or his, Prae noted ruefully. Well, he'd deal with what he was going to tell her when it came to that. It wasn't that he wanted to keep what had happened a secret, it was just that he didn't know how to talk about it. But Elisabeth always seemed to know the right thing to say, so perhaps she'd be able to ease it out of him.

When it came time for her to tell her and Balthazar's story, Prae listened quietly, slowly absorbing the information as it came. Their time in Scalvoris had been troubled, clearly. Praetorum could sympathize, to a certain degree. He'd been a soldier too, once, and he'd been a captive cut off from his magic, though those things had been separate. He was silent even after she finished, considering his words carefully. 

"I'm sure you felt a little of it when you were cuffed, but for a mage as in tune with his defiance spark as Balthazar is, being cut off is... unimaginably lonely." Prae had survived it, but then again, he'd already survived losing everything multiple times before. A man could grow accustomed to even the unimaginable. "The elements become a part of your life, your spark a piece of your soul. I can't speak to his other magics, but losing defiance alone would be painful enough."

"What I mean to say is, I'm glad he has you. That he has anyone with him at this time that he can rely on. Left alone, I think he might simply stew in his own anger and resentment until he exploded."

"That being said—" Prae reached out, squeezing Elisabeth's arm briefly "—never feel bad for deepening your own connection to the elements and your spark. He may have given you this magic, but it is yours, however he might feel about it. I'm sure it hurts to see you have something he can't, and I'm not suggesting you flaunt it in front of him, but he'll learn to deal with being upset with the situation. Don't hold yourself back for anyone's sake but your own." 

He smiled lightly. "Especially since you're the only mage permanently here. The faster you learn, the more you can do for the village. I'll help where I can while I'm here, but as I've said, I don't know how long I'll be staying."

As to her comment about Balthazar's alleged instability, Prae wasn't sure where he fell on the matter. Balthazar, he felt, had always defined himself far more through his magic than Prae did. In Niflheim  losing his magics had been a massive blow, but not devastating—Prae had still be a fighter, a soldier, a leader. But for Balthazar to lose so much of his identity... Then again, wasn't a leader exactly what Balthazar had become here? Perhaps it would be enough to keep him steady. 

"I'm glad to see you as well, and to see you well." Prae smiled down at Elisabeth. "You've come a long way since the Siege. How do you like Scalvoris? I must admit, I haven't had much chance to see most of it, just Almund and Saoire's Dream. And this village, of course. How does it compare to Viden or Rharne?"

word count: 579

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 20 Ashan

She listened to Praetorum explain, or try to explain, what Balthazar was feeling regarding the loss of connection to his spark. In the end, it made her feel horrible that she hadn’t been more understanding. It wasn’t that she hadn’t been, but as he said, it was a feeling that was unimaginable for her, the depth of it.

Speaking softly, she tried to explain her level of understanding. “When I had the cuffs on, one trial, they brought in a candle to light the darkness. When I call to fire, it’s Balthazar – always has been. I can hear him and feel him…and when they brought me that candle and I couldn’t, that was the moment I truly broke for the first time while we were held. It was…awful. If what you are describing him going through is exponentially worse than that, then I have treated him horribly by not understanding….”

How could she have been so blind to what he was going through? Certainly, on some level, Elisabeth knew she wasn’t to blame. How could she have known? Balthazar didn’t talk about it and she only had her experiences to help frame her understanding.

Sighing softly, she nodded as he spoke of their relationship. “I’ve tried to be here for him. It was rough at first, but he’s kept busy here and I think that’s helped a lot. Having things to do forced him not to sit and stew. Oddly enough, he seems to believe I’m not happy here and nothing could be further from the truth, but part of me thinks he doesn’t really believe that. I think he feels bad about the things that have happened and he’s worried that one morning he’ll wake up and I’ll have left, having had enough of it.” Smiling at Prae, she gave him a soft grin. “You know me pretty well. Do you think there is a chance in Beneath that that is happening?”

It was nice to get reassurance from him that she shouldn’t feel bad about her abilities. Of course, she still would because that was who she was…but it was nice what he said.

Laughing a bit as he confessed he didn’t know how long he would be staying, she gave him a look. “Well, if it were up to me, I’d just have you move here…but I don’t see you being truly happy here. I think it’s a good place for a rest for you, certainly, but you need more than Faldrass or Haven can offer in your life and I would be a very selfish friend if I didn’t acknowledge that.”

He asked about Scalvoris, which made her smile slightly. “I really like Scalvoris. Viden is quiet. Rharne is loud. Scalvoris is something between. It’s hard to explain. There is something for everyone here, I think. It’s been an interesting experience.”

Her thoughts drifted to Cylus Dusk. “Soon after we arrived, Balthazar was invited to an event here on Faldrass. That night was my first time on this island. It was to commemorate the volcanic eruption and the loss of life. Apparently, Balthazar had been one of the people that did some pretty amazing things that trial and so he was a special guest. I met my very first Immortal, Saoire. She is very nice, and I like her a lot. I mean, I’ve seen Syroa, Ziell, Xiur, Qylios, Daia and Ilaren…but I’ve never talked to them. I talked to Saoire. And Balthazar was gifted something.” Holding up her hand, she showed Praetorum the slender silver band adorning her finger. “A set of rings. Balthazar has the other. They tell the wearer if the other has ‘true need’ of them or if they are in danger. Saoire thought it might help Balthazar if he didn’t always have to ask for help because he’s truly horrible at it.”

Laughing softly, she remembered the rest of the question. “As for the rest of Scalvoris, the only other place I’ve been is Almund and I can’t say I wish to return anytime soon.” Of course, that was where the couple had been arrested so the young mage was still a bit raw about that.

They had talked entirely too much about her and Balthazar, and curiosity was gnawing on her about what was happening with Prae. "Okay so I know I said we would talk about it later, but I lied. I do that sometimes so you'll just have to forgive me. We've covered Balthazar and me....and now I just want to know what's going on with you." Spotting a large log nearby, Elisabeth got a funny little idea. Grabbing Prae's hand, she gently tugged him over to where the log was. Scambling upon it, she was much closer to eye level with him.

Crossing her arms gently, she arched her eyebrow and gave him a smile. "Spill. What's upsetting one of my favorite people and what are we going to do about it?"

word count: 869
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“Slim to nonexistent.” Prae said dryly to Elisabeth’s question. “You’d be more likely to kick him in the head and change things than just leave.”

He smiled apologetically at her next comment. “For what it’s worth, I’ll come visit when I can. But you’re right, this place isn’t where I belong.” His tail uncurled from around his waist, and draped loosely over her shoulders. “I’m not the sort to stay in one place for too long, but I have recently come into possession of a sort of… home base in Rharne. If you’re ever back in that area, my home is open to you as well. Both of you.”

When Elisa spoke of her experience with immortals, Prae couldn’t help but raise a brow. That… was certainly a long list of immortals for her too met, even without speaking. And for one to gift her and Balthazar such a thing was fascinating. He wasn’t without his own gifts from immortals, but his loyalty to those two was deep seated; Saoire had, as he understood, only recently emerged to interact with mortals.

Mortals who were not also animals, he supposed. He wasn’t very clear on the history there.

And then the conversation moved to the topic he’d been half hoping to avoid. Prae smile faded, and he sighed heavily, going over to sit down on the log so he could face Elisa properly.

Even a season ago, Prae might have deflected or declined to answer. But he’d slowly been learning to open up to Hong over half a dozen sessions of therapy—perhaps it was time he opened up to a friend as well.

“I don’t know that there’s anything to do about it.” He admitted. “I’ve just been… dealing with some issues from my past I’ve been avoiding.”

He fell silent for a long while, contemplating what to tell her. “I had… a similar experience to you and Balthazar around an arc ago. I was captured and held captive, cut off from my magic, my marks, my diri. Melrathi researchers.” The twisted scars that marred his back and tail ached at the memory.

“I led a revolt against them. Spent fifty trials leading a group of prisoners and rebel guards, engaging in hit and run tactics against a stronger force, hiding in the abandoned corridors and rooms of the prison, having to be on guard every moment for our captors, or their monsters.”

“After our escape, I heard about Rharne, and went to help. You recall how the siege was—the tension, the anxiety, the constant wariness.”

“When it was all over, after we killed Rhaum and the Purveyor… I couldn’t relax. I’ve spent so long having to be in charge, having to be watchful, having to be responsible for people’s safety… I couldn’t just turn it off. I started jumping at shadows, seeing danger where it wasn’t there.” Prae sighed. “In the legion, when we were in Nashaki, we would sometimes have soldiers like that. Combat fatigue, they called it—never thought I’d be one of them. But I was. Am. My companions convinced me I needed help.”

“So I went through the door to Saoire’s Dream. Therapy. With a squirrel.” He smiled slightly. “Not what you’d expect, I’m sure. But you’re not the only one whose met immortals. The Noble Serpent—“ he raised his hand, showing Elisa his Taithir mark “—gave me some advice. Sent it, really.”

His eyes softened, recalling the books he’d been sent, and the dedication within. “Take time to repair yourself and, in doing so, ensure that the shield is strong and ready for use when needed.” He quoted from memory. “Because, when a shield is needed, you have to be sure that it has no cracks.”

It wasn’t that the words had been astonishingly profound—but to have received them at all from the one he needed most to hear it from had loosened something in him, let him accept the help some part of him had still shied away from.

“So no, Elisabeth, there’s nothing to be done that I’m not already doing. But I appreciate your concern.” Briefly, the wind settled, warm and heavy around her shoulders as he smiled. “It means a lot to me.”
word count: 736

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 20 Ashan

Grinning as Prae answered exactly as she predicted regarding the likelihood of her leaving Balthazar, she nodded gently. “I’m glad you and I are the on same wavelength then.”

Smiling as his tail wrapped around her shoulders, she gently patted it, listening to him speak of the reasons why he couldn’t stay. She knew, obviously, but it was a nice thought. Elisabeth had missed his calming presence, more than she would likely admit. “I know, Prae. It’s alright. I honestly thought we were going back to Rharne. This is a bit of a life curve I didn’t see coming but it’s fine. I will likely send you an echo scroll or something so we can keep in better contact. It shouldn’t take word of mouth for everyone to figure out where everyone else is.”

As he sat down on the log, she lowered to sit as well. Everything she needed to know about the severity of the situation was evident in his mannerisms and inflection of voice. As he told his story, that uncurrent of rage, ever-present, tried to claw its way to the surface. It was the same fire that Prae himself had always seen in her that escaped others because she chose to keep a calm demeanor. She had felt it when she saw the marks on Balthazar's back as well.

She listened, letting her hand gently run over his tail as he spoke of how he had been feeling in the wake of everything. Some of the things were familiar to her like jumping at shadows and being on guard all the time. Elisabeth felt those things too…but his experiences dwarfed hers. He had come to face his situation and get help.

Smiling at the mark he showed her, knowing which Immortal it belonged to, she nodded as he spoke of the words from his books. He said there was nothing left to be done that wasn’t already being done…but she didn’t think that was quite true. Feeling the weight of the wind settled with her, made her sure of that. Standing again, fully realizing the differences in their sizes, she gently wrapped her arms around his neck best she could, laying her head somewhere near his shoulder for just a moment before gazing at him, speaking.

“First off, I’m so sorry you had to experience what you did. It makes my experience seem like a picnic really. It makes me mad to know someone did that to you and caused all this aftereffect.”
She paused for a moment, gathering her thoughts. “But thank you for telling me. I think sometimes the more you can express how you feel or how something made you feel, the better it is. You are part of my family, Prae. You can always come to speak to me about anything and I will always do whatever I can to help…even if it’s just sitting on a log, listening.”

Smiling at him, she considered the situation. “So, we’ve both had some pretty messed up stuff happen to us. One thing I’ve learned is that as long as you don’t feel like you have to handle it alone, everything will be alright. You don’t have to shoulder this all by yourself, Prae. If you need me, I will always be there.”

word count: 571
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

He grinned at the idea of adding another echo scroll to his collection. He was going to have to start labeling them before he mixed them up. “It’s a good place you’ve got here. I’ll look forward to seeing it grow. And I know what you mean about life throwing you a curve. The path laid before me is… not one I would have expected even an arc ago.” He smiled, somewhat mysteriously. “I’ll tell you more once I know a little more myself, I promise. So you’d better send that scroll so I can explain myself when I can.”

He smiled as Elisabeth wrapped her arms around him, shifting to loop an arm around her torso in a gentle squeeze. It had been a long time since someone had touched him gently like this—his Yari companions and his fellow legionnaires were not particularly touchy, preferring to show affection through gentle ribbing and training tips, while his family…

“Perhaps,” he said at her words. “I’m not much good at talking about my feelings,” he admitted. “I’ve spent the last two and a half arcs running from them. But…”

You must cleanse yourself of your failure, or it will hinder you all the days of your life.

Perhaps there was more than one way to wash his failures away.

“I will try. Thank you. Truly. And I will be here if you ever need me, Elisabeth. Whatever help I can be for you. This world is not kind, and I hope you never have to see how cruel it can be, but if you do, you can always come to me for whatever you need.”

He gave her another gentle hug, then stood, gently disentangling from her. “Now, enough of the past for now. Balthazar said he wanted to talk to us about building a wall for the village—we should go before he gets impatient.”
word count: 323

Head

Arms

Misc