PM to Join Hope, Health, Havardr

Yeva returns to Havardr to cure its Chief of Lisirra's curse.

Harvardr is made up almost entirely of yurts. While any single building may be disassembled and reassembled elsewhere, there are always enough left here that it has become it's own little village. What was once wholly a mobile camp of fisherman, sealers and whalers placed to take advantage of migrations is now just as likely to have full families, some who have been there for several generations.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Hope, Health, Havardr

25 Ashan 721

Continued from A Bloody Resemblance

The storm raged across the isle. Riding against the furious rain, the thundering of hooves against the sodden earth kicked specks of mud that clung to human and animal; Yeva the Living would not be deterred. Hailstones bit into her arms and shoulders, she ducked her head and spurred the mount faster, gripping the reigns to steer the snorting Scalvwing. Every inch of the duo was soaked and cold and bruised, but they rode onward.

To Havardr.

Yeva looked down at the small gold compass in her hand, its face coated in water but enduring. The needle flickered, craned right and using tired arms, Yeva steered her mount to follow its guidance. She knew what it was for now. Upon finding it in her belongings seasons prior, her inexperience in navigation had her seeking the instruction of another. But when a friendly Biqaj grabbed her own compass with the intention to show the medic, it had become clear that Yeva's needle did not point North. In fact, it did not seem predictable at all. At the time, they had chalked it up to simply being broken, but after tossing it away, the little trinket found itself back into her pocket as if by... magic.

But it pointed to her destination. Guided her to places she had been before, to places she wished to return. A gift from Cassion, Yeva understood this now.

She was beginning to understand a lot of things.

Like the first time she arrived in the village, Chrien's wrath battled against her travels but she rode past the yellowed flagships and wove through the yurts, eyes searching for the erected stables to allow Moonshine to rest. They had not stopped and the animal shuddered beneath her from exhaustion, Just a little further, she promised, finally allowing the mount to slow, its armored head bobbing with each burning breath.

"Yeva?" a voice called, emerging from the stable's entrance to linger at the door, "You've returned?"

"Where's Linca?" she demanded, jumping from her saddle, "I need to see him."

"He's in his tent," the woman instructed, pointing. She stepped aside to quickly usher the redhead inside where they could both rest. She took the reigns from the traveler, watching Yeva wince and stumble as her legs were unaccustomed to such demanding trips, "Are you alright?" she could see the determination in the medic. It was palpable.

"I wrote to the Order,"
desperately massaging her legs, she continued by fussing with her medical kit, nearly dropping it to the ground as she inched towards the exit, panting, "Were you sent reinforcements?"

"Yes ma'am. They've been tending to him. His condition is stable, but-

"Good, is Orik with them?"

"I do not know... He has been casting the nets with the others, but with the weather and the water acting strange..."

Yeva remembered the burly fisherman who had been at his friend's side during the Chief's examination. He would want to be present if she managed to revive him. Moseke had given her the moss, now she needed to make it easy to feed the man, "If he is seen, tell him I've returned. I need a mortar and a pestle. Where-"

"We will have one brought to you. Here, please, you're soaked to the bone."

The stable woman tried to offer a towel but Yeva shook her head, "I'm going back out; have supplies brought to Linca's tent and... a meal prepared," she hesitated at the door, uneager to rejoint the storm so soon, "He will be waking up soon and needs all the strength he can get."

It was unlike the young woman to be so commanding, but at that moment she felt no insecurities or doubt, only resolution. So, ignoring the villager's surprised expression, Yeva ran back into the rain.

It was time to be the storm.
word count: 662
Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Hope, Health, Havardr

25 Ashan 721

Linca's tent was largely unchanged, minus the figures in colored cloaks lingering at the cot's side. At the entrance of Yeva and her blue cloak, dripping as she pulling back the flap and stepped in, they rose to their feet, more faces surprised to see her.

"You must be Yeva of Rharne."

"How is he?"

She moved to look over him, setting her kit upon the bed and began shrugging off the heavy outerwear, instantly lighter as she discarded it against the beam.

"He continues to sleep. Still no signs of fever or ailment," they both ignored the way the woman's top seem to cling to her form, filling her in on details of her absence, "We have prayed and are awaiting news from the city. Have you discovered anything new?"

She began to unpack her medical supplies, searching for a vial and bandages, "Yes."

They searched Yeva's face, hopeful, tense, "You can cure him?"

"I believe so."

"How?"

"I've spoken to Moseke."

Yeva did not look to see how their mouths dropped.

"Truly?"

She sat beside the Chief and took him in her arms, hefting his torso up with difficulty. Her own exhaustion hindered her but Cassion's boon gave her strength. The man was hot in her arms, not burning, not feverish, but against her cold, wet frame, holding him was almost painful. Yeva shifted to better support his weight against her and wrestled with his sleeves, pulling them higher to expose the skin of his forearm. She reached for the scalpel.

"What are you doing?"

One of the members stepped forward to intervene.

"His blood has been tainted by this curse. There has to be a balance,"
Yeva snapped, not pleased by having to explain everything when the time was so precious, "I am marked now... Moseke said to restore the balance, we need the blood of both."

She wondered if they believed her, "This will wake him, but only just," she struggled to withdraw the moss from her trouser pockets, holding it up to show the green bundle in the soft glow of candlelight, "He will be very weak. Do you understand?"

After a beat of silence, the first member nodded, then the second.

"Do you trust me?"

They nodded.

"Good, Take this and prepare it for consumption. I will draw his blood." she handed the moss over and took the sterilized instrument to press the tip of the blade towards the soft underbelly of Linca's forearm. She cut into the first layer of his skin, carefully testing pressure until a small nick formed and red pooled towards the surface. Swapping out instruments, she lined up her vial and nudged behind him, coaxing gravity to fill the vial faster.

The injury was slight and so the collection was slow.

"What will you do with that?" they asked, watching Yeva work. The other member cleaned the moss and the mortar and pestle arrived just as Yeva was cleaning up and patching a little bandage over the incision. The steady scrapping of stone against stone echoed as the moss was ground for consumption.

Yeva didn't know the answer. She waited until only members of the Order were present.

"Take it to Immortal's Tongue, I suppose."

"Immortal's Tongue?"

"There is a ruin there, and something there requires the blood of blessed and cursed to balance it," she finished securing the last corner, wiping the edge of the vial free of any blood and double checking to make sure the cap was secure, "Aside from dragging Linca there and risking his life, I'm hoping this will be an acceptable option."

She looked up to see the bowl of ground paste held out to her.

Yes... It was time.
Last edited by Yeva on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 631
Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Hope, Health, Havardr

25 Ashan 721

They mixed it with a bit of water, bits of ground moss swirling in the liquid. Yeva could smell the herbal remedy, even as she shifted Linca higher, holding his head while the concoction was brought to his lips. Her stomach clenched, fluttering with anxious butterflies as the drink was coaxed into his mouth. There was so much riding on her success - Failure simply couldn't be an option.

It will work, she reassured herself.

If Moseke said it will work, it will work.

The Order members glanced at each other apprehensively, the room silent and tense and waiting.

"Is it working?"

"I don't know."

Yeva frowned and tilted more of the medicine into his mouth with care, craning forward to watch him swallow it.

A bit of liquid dribbled from the corner of his bottom lip and into his overgrown beard, the medic wiping it away and continuing her administration.

They waited, "Are you sure we've done it right?"

"I don't know," Yeva's brow furrowed in concern. After all, Moseke hadn't said when he'd open his eyes. She had said to feed him the moss and he would wake and be weak. It was difficult not to feel doubt in herself. She should have asked more questions.

Yeva fed the last bit of the moss to the chief, scooting over to gently lower him back onto the cot. The Order member was still looming, "How long until-"

"I don't know!" Yeva snapped, instantly regretting the fire in her voice. She cleared her throat, apologetic, "I'm sorry... He will wake. Please be patient."

They sat in silence, the red haired medic feeling their expectant gazes. Yeva looked at Linca, at the wrinkles that had started to to crease the corner of his eyes, claiming station across his forehead. A serious man, she could imagine many a worry silently stored in the rivets of his brow.

Practice to instinct, Yeva touched Linca's forehead, gauging his temperature and stood, tugging at the pillows to give him more comfort and to release her urge to fidget. When she straightened, a pair of dark eyes regarded her. Opened. Alert.

Her mouth dropped and behind her, she heard the rich excitement of success.

"Praise Moseke, he's really awake!"

"I'll go tell the others!"

A grumble reverberated in the man's chest and Yeva placed a hand on his torso to keep him from moving too fast. His body had not moved in some time, he needed to go slow, "It's alright," she promised, a mix of emotions tearing through her, "You're safe, you're in Havardr..." She watched his gaze shift across the room, processing her words. His condition. A fresh water skin was brought to him and it wouldn't be long before the food she had requested arrived, "You've been asleep for a long time.... How are you feeling?"

Reaching into her pocket, she withdrew Moseke's coin and listened.
word count: 504
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Havardr”