• Solo • Estate Sale

Or: How Devin got his signature item!

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Estate Sale

Cylus 12, Arc 721

“Aidan, what do you call a yard sale that takes place in a house rather than in a yard?” Devin abruptly asked his roommate who was walking next to him, down a snow-covered street in Scalvoris Town in an extremely serious tone of voice. In his opinion, it was an important question, and it had been bothering him since the slightly older man had told him of the old lady tha lived a few streets away and that had died and how her family had decided to sell her possessions.

“I think that it’s called an estate sale”, Aidan replied somewhat slowly because he wasn’t completely sure what the correct term was either and shrugged his shoulders. Unlike Devin, he didn’t wonder about that particular matter too much though (And he thought that it was a little strange that the Mortalborn did!). He was more interested in all the little treasures that they might be able to get their hands on, all the things that you might not be able to easily get in any shops.

He was really hoping for some antique tableware – or a few used books. Devin was the cook of the two of them, but Aidan just loved collecting pretty tableware and silverware!

“We should hurry up though, otherwise the good stuff will be gone by the time that we arrive”, he remarked, grabbed the sleeve of Devin’s very stylish (and warm) black and purple winter coat and urged him along. He really didn’t want to arrive too late!

Devin resisted, but not too much, because Aidan’s enthusiasm about the yard sale that was not in a yard was pretty contagious, and he couldn’t help but wonder if there might be something for him as well, after all.

The vain young follower of Delroth wasn’t particularly interested in old clothes, old furniture or old tableware. (He usually preferred to buy new things; he found second-hand clothes a bit disgusting, to be honest, and besides, they often smelled weird!), but maybe there’d be jewelry or a few old coins!

He didn’t mind if someone had already touched such things before too much. On the contrary, he found the notion of decking himself out in a hundred arcs old jewelry exciting, to be honest, and he didn’t care that it would be old-lady-jewelry either. He actually liked the idea of mixing his usual modern clothes with something very old and slightly kitschy.

A bit of style clash could be fun – and fashionable!

word count: 433

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Estate Sale

"I hate Cylus", Devin muttered as they turned around a corner, shivered and abruptly thrust his hands that were encased in fine purple gloves with a bit of black fur into the pockets of his coat for a bit of extra warmth. "I don't understand why the Immortals invented a season where it's always dark and cold and unpleasant. Do you think that the Immortals invented the seasons? We have Vhalar and Ashan and Ymiden - and Zi'da kind of sounds like Ziell", he murmured and glowered at a heap of snow at the side of the road (someone had done a lot of shoveling earlier that trial so that you could walk around without having to wade through nearly knee-deep snow).

"I'm studying linguistics, not Immortal History", Aidan replied, partly amused, partly irritated and partly amazed - because Devin always seemed to have a lot of thoughts inside that head of his. A lot of them were totally random and unrelated to each other. He couldn't help but wonder how exactly his mind functioned. It was unlike any mind he had ever encounter before!

"You are the guy with the blessing", he added in a dry tone of voice.

"Right", Devin murmured, nodded curtly and subsequently tried to focus on antique jewelry and old coins (preferably with pictures of kings and queens on them) in order to distract himself from the chill that never seemed to go away completely. The aforementioned thoughts cheered him up so much that he actually began to smile - just as a house with brightly lit windows and white walls (although one could never be completely sure in the Cylus darkness) came into view.

"I think that's it", Aidan decided.

This time, it was the Mortalborn who grabbed his roommate’s arm and urged him along because he couldn't wait to get inside a warm, properly lit house - that hopefully had some shiny stuff in it. As he entered the property, something suddenly caught his attention - a small wooden cart that was painted with simple bright red and orange flowers and that stood at the side of the path that led from the garden gate up to the entrance door.

He stopped in front of it and eyed it appraisingly for a few moments before he spread his arms wide (He was lacking measuring tapes, rulers and such at the moment, so his arms would have to do.) and finally proclaimed, his eyes shimmering brightly, "This looks as if it's just the right size for Heidi. I want it!” He didn’t care that he had initially just planned on getting shiny things. This would be his cart, and Heidi would pull it for him!

It was just as he was about to wonder whether he should try to carry the cart into the house in order to make sure that nobody would be able to grab it in the meantime or if he should try to persuade Aidan who seemed to be quite desperate to get his hands on some old tableware to wait outside for him that he noticed something – something most inconvenient.

One of the cart’s little wheels was broken!

Fek!

“Let’s go in”, Aidan who had started to tap his foot impatiently told him – and moved towards the door before Devin could react. The Mortalborn watched him for a moment before he cast one last, slightly irritated glance at the cart, stomped his boots in front of the door (because he wanted to make a good impression and not drag a lot of snow into the house) and finally followed. Maybe whatever was inside the house would be better.

No, it would definitely be better – because he refused to be disappointed!

word count: 629

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

There were five visitors in the house apart from the two of them – and the old lady’s granddaughter, a woman in her mid-twenties with pale blonde hair, even paler skin and a longer than average nose that held herself so straight that she looked as if she had swallowed a stick and couldn’t get it out anymore. Devin approached the woman with the long nose, partly because he probably should, and partly out of some sort of curiosity – because she ordered the visitors around like a general!

“There are a couple of racks with clothes in the bedroom. You can find pillows and blankets as well, and the furniture is for sale, too, provided that you transport it yourself. The tools are in the basement. Feel free to take a look at everything, but don’t put any clothes on unless I say so! I won’t reserve anything so that you can keep on looking. You can however buy it - at the price that I tell you - and I’ll put a red ribbon on it so that the other visitors know that it’s already been paid for”,
she proclaimed in a clipped and cool tone of voice from the chair in the hallway that she was sitting on as if it were a throne.

Her grandmother had died but a couple of trials before. She didn’t look sad at all though, Devin noticed. In fact, she looked as if she was more interested in business than anything else!

“Ah, Doctor Thorn”, she suddenly said a moment later, in an almost overly sweet tone when Devin took off the hood of his coat, revealed his face and said condolences. Over the course of the arcs that he had been living in Scalvoris Town he had become something of a local celebrity. His classmates at university still refused to believe that he was the Doctor Thorn every now and then for some reason, but the people that lived in his part of Scalvoris Town knew that he was the real deal.

“What can I do for you? Are you looking for something in particular?” she continued.

When Devin told her that he was looking for jewelry and such, she directed him to the bedroom, in exactly the same sweet tone of voice as before. Her answer to Aidan’s question was much cooler though (There was a small bookshelf with her grandmother’s books in the living room, she said, and the plates and such could be found in the kitchen, of course.).

“I think that she either hated her grandmother or that she really likes nels*. Maybe she likes both nels and hated her grandmother”, Devin whispered to Aidan as they walked down the hallway before they parted ways. Aidan disappeared into the kitchen with an excited look on his face while Devin checked out the bedroom. Soon, all the shiny jewelry would be his!

* Greed was a behaviour that Devin approved of wholeheartedly, but when you lost a family member, you should grieve in his opinion - or at least pretend to! He still missed his grandmother!

word count: 523

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Soon, Devin was standing in front of two wooden boxes that were filled with necklaces, bracelets and rings. Smiling all over his face, he grabbed the broadest bracelet that he could find. It looked like it was made of pure gold. He had hoped that he would find some good stuff here, but he hadn’t thought that there was that much, considering that the house was kind of average. He turned the bracelet so that he could admire it from all angles. Just before he was about to slip it on his wrist because that would be the best place for it in his opinion, he noticed something though. There was a weird little brownish stain on it!

Furrowing his brow, he pulled a lacy white handkerchief out of a pocket of his pants and rubbed the stain – only to notice that some of the gold …

… just came off?

He blinked a couple of times because that was so unexpected before he tossed the bracelet back into the box, a look of utter irritation on his face. The gold hadn’t been gold at all. He didn’t know much, but he knew that real gold didn’t come off when you rubbed it, and his own gold jewelry never got any weird stains either. It was just some sort of golden paint on … he wasn’t sure what the metal underneath the thin layer of paint was called, but it had looked kind of …

… rusty.

In any case, it was probably worthless since it wasn’t real gold, so he decided to focus his attention on the rings and necklaces that actually had potential – except that the rings were too narrow for his fingers!

He found a nice lacy veil though, and he didn’t care that he had not planned on buying any veils when he had decided to accompany Aidan to the estate sale either. He loved veils. Maybe he could stick it onto one of his hats. And then his gaze suddenly fell on something else, his eyes widened with delight and he forgot all about the veil in the process.

Apparently, there was a bit of treasure among the trash, after all. He understood why Aidan had been so excited about this now!

“The mirror’s broken and probably haunted on top of it, Doctor Thorn”, he heard the greedy granddaughter’s voice just as he was about to inspect the large mirror on the wall that had a beautiful golden frame with feather-like engravings. “Sometimes, it shows me my grandmother in her favourite dress instead of my own reflection”, she told * him.

She had been wondering if she should just let him buy the mirror and make a lot of money in the process (He was rich, so losing a hundred nels wouldn’t hurt him too much!) or tell him – and ultimately decided on the latter. If it became public knowledge that she had tried to scam a celebrity it could affect her reputation negatively, and she cared about her reputation a great deal – almost more than she cared about making money!

“A mirror with a picture of a grandmother in it?” Devin asked, trying to curb his excitement and maintaining an indifferent expression even though it was hard because he absolutely loved mirrors, and he doubted that anybody in all of Idalos had a mirror with a dead grandmother in it!

“I’ll relieve you of your broken mirror. Maybe I'll be able to find a use for it”, he told her in a very generous tone of voice that was utterly and completely fake, proceeded to feign a kind of pity that he definitely didn’t feel at all and flashed her grin before he wanted to know, “How much do you want? I’ll give you … let’s say …” he murmured and abruptly reached into his wallet in order to give her a few nels.

* Her statement convinced Devin that she had indeed hated her grandmother; otherwise she would have been happy to have a picture of her in a mirror, wouldn't she?

Last edited by Devin on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 6 times in total. word count: 687

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Approximately half a break later, the Mortalborn stood in his bedroom, admiring his newest acquisition (while Aidan did the same with the things that he had bought). A moment later, he got a rag and some water with soap and started cleaning the mirror carefully because it was kind of dusty and a bit dirty and touching it a bit more here and there.

Once he was done, he positioned himself in front of the mirror, hands on his hips and grinned at his reflection for at least a bit because he loved looking at himself so much, and because he was just so excited about his new mirror. The engravings reminded him of Delroth!

Unfortunately, he had to go to university a bit later – but as soon as he returned, he was back in his bedroom in order to admire his mirror and polish it some more so that it shimmered in the light of the lamps. Besides, he still hadn’t seen the grandmother. He was really looking forward to that!

As he continued to meticulously polish and clean the mirror, something most unexpected happened. He had changed into a different outfit after he had returned from university, but the mirror showed him the clothes that he had worn that morning, nevertheless.

It was some sort of memory mirror!

That, Devin decided, definitely had a lot potential, although he was a bit disappointed about the lack of pictures of dead grandmothers nevertheless, because that would have been really awesome, too. Maybe, he decided and muttered something slightly rude under his breath, the woman with the long nose had just been imagining things – or told him a lie!

word count: 279

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

Experience: +10 xp

Knowledge:
Skill
Appraisal: If it’s golden paint rather than gold, it’s probably worthless!
Deception: Feigning generosity
Endurance: Enduring the Cylus cold
Etiquette: Saying condolences
Etiquette: Don’t drag snow into the house!
Meditation: Focusing on pleasant things to distract yourself from something unpleasant

Skillplay: Appropriate to level

Loot: Memory Mirror, as noted.

Injuries/Overstepping: None.

Renown: +5.

Comments: I love the image of Devin turned loose on an estate sale. That’s just the cart I needed! That’s just the veil I needed! That’s just the bit of gold jewelry- oh, wait, not that one. That’s just the mirror I needed!

Devin is such an entertaining PC. I like to imagine you have as much fun writing his as I do reading them. The granddaughter, and Devin’s impression of her, made for an interesting thematic setup, with the contrast between Devin’s fondness for his grandmother’s memory in contrast to the woman’s apparent lack of affection for hers. The idea that the feather design in the frame would attract Devin was a nice reminder of his status as a Favored of Delroth.

Aiden is the voice of reason, sort of, as always.

I wonder if this mirror means that Devin will forever be seeing himself in last arc’s fashions. Quel horreur!

Let me know if either of you have any questions/feedback. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 237
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”