Absent Minded Vigilante

Memory thread 704

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Kalypso
Race: Human
Profession: Librarian
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Absent Minded Vigilante

☸Ashan 62 704 (MEMORY)☸

“Sometimes I feed the mushrooms from my hair to your mama and she says they make her feel weird.”
Once again the slave was talking about things the young Kalypso didn’t understand. Weep, the tunawa slave, played a card from her hand face up behind the bars of her cage. The cards were hand made and about the size of Kalypso’s thumb, the little girl had to peer closely into the cage to see the card she had played. A queen of spades. Kalypso had nothing in her hand to beat that and the game was over. Weep had won again.
“Not getting any better little Sporeling, you’re gonna have to step it up if you want to beat me.”
Weep laced her tiny hands behind her head and sat her legs up on the table in her cage lazily. Kalypso wasn’t allowed to talk to her usually, but lately her surrogate had allowed her to play cards with the slave before bed.

Kalypso pursed her lips. The twelve year old wanted to ask the tunawa a thousand questions but decided on just the one. She couldn’t afford to be caught talking to the tunawa, it was forbidden.
“How did you get here?”
She asked, face beaming the youthful, round innocence of the question. Weep paused and then gave her an iconic grin.
“Well, back in 695 I was hustling for a friend I met in Desnind. You see, no one suspected that I was in his coat pocket reading his hand and giving him cards while we were gambling. Oh we made so much money. Someone caught on, when they filled the pot and bet that if they won all the players at the table had to empty their pockets to give their contents to him well-- I wasn’t so sure but my friend was. Alas, I was forfeit in the end and my friend… I never saw him again. Through a few changes of hands I was eventually given to your mother, Juniper, who has kept me here in this lock box all this time.”
The dried mushroom she used for a hat slipped over her slimy looking head and into her eyes, the tunawa pushed it back up.
“I remember when she brought you home, Sporeling. You and I, we aren’t so different are we?”

This final question, more like a statement, made the young human girl blush. It was true that while Kalypso never felt like a slave she did feel caged here, rarely allowed to leave except for school. School thought would only last two more arcs before she was… this is where things got blurry. Bottom line, Kalypso didn’t trust her surrogate. It wasn’t out of the realms of possibility that she would be forced to stay here just like Weep, trapped in a cage with freedom never coming. She was tired of sewing hats and talking to adults about money. A stirring in the residential part of the shop made her hackles rise,
“I need to leave.”
Came her short reply, rather lamely.
“Sporeling, wait. I have something to show you.”
The tunawa raised herself up on her staff and pulled from behind the dollhouse couch a wire, it was bent in several places.
“You see, I made a lockpick with a wire from the new bed your mama got me. Well, I plan on escaping but I was thinking with how we’ve been able to hang out lately I dunno, maybe she would blame you. How about you give me a reason why I shouldn’t let her blame you?”

In the light of the candle lit room her words were made more ominous. There was no way Kalypso could let that happen. Sticking her fingers between the cage bars she tried to take away the lock pick but instead Weep stabbed the girl’s fingers. The pre-teen let out a sharp gasp as a thin trail of blood escaped from her fingers.
“Yeah, that’s what I thought. Listen, we can help each other. Is this Scalvoris? I need you to meet with someone. His name is The Owl. Ask him if he remembers Weep. If he does, I need you to ask him about Claude. Tell him I can pay when I reach him. Then come back to me, you have three days. I will stay here like the caged slave I am, but no longer. How about this Sporeling, we’ll make it a game. You get me this information and these next few trials I will tell you some stories. You like stories and books right?”
Unsure what to say, Kalypso merely nodded.
“Come back here tonight when your mama is dead asleep, I’ll show you something and tell you a story.”
“Well!”
Kalypso interjected.
“How do I know you won’t just run away before then?”
She was deathly pale now, terrified at the repercussions. Weep laughed and smiled broadly.
“Because you and I aren’t so different, I will see you tonight child.”
Last edited by Kalypso on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 853
Kalypso
Character Sheet
Templates

Re: Absent Minded Vigilante

☸☸☸

“You’re late.”
The yellow eyes of this alien being followed Kalypso as she crept to the cage. Weep had let herself out and had her legs dangling over the edge of the round table her cage was kept on.
“Hmmmmm but you still arrived.”
Kalypso was terrified. She had on two pairs of socks to try and sneak through her tiny cupboard of a bedroom and through the entire house, through the main work area, and finally to the shop proper. Her surrogate mother was asleep only paces away, her room being connected to the work room. This was more than risky. Not one to be forgiving, should the two be caught there would be no mistaking what was going on. Was Kalypso really thinking about helping Weep escape?
“I’m sorry Weep.”
Kalypso in truth had also taken her time deciding in her room if the slave’s proposition was worth it. Perhaps she could tattle to her mother and still get to talk to Weep. It crossed her mind she could at first stall and then outright lie to the walking, talking doll while making something up about talking to an owl. Then she would be able to get out of this scott-free and still get to hear some tales from Weep. The young girl loved stories. She saw no other way to make this work and end in her favor, but realised what she was going to do was betray Weep. Unfortunately to one so small in the world she recognized the tunawa not as a person, but as a slave and a kept doll. Similar to a parrot in a way, curious but other.

It didn’t occur to her that Weep was in her thirties, well wise to the world now and a fully grown adult. The lifetimes between them were vast and in all truth, Weep was well kept. Beautiful in her own right no one had dared defile her or harm her in all her time as a slave. She had maintained much vitality because of this. Kalypso was not going to outsmart her.
“I could tell you about a time I was your age and living in Desnid, I think that’s where I will return to. Magani.”
Kalypso lowered her eyes and nodded, she had no idea what the other was talking about.
“Desnind?”
She asked.
“Yes. Oceans away. Come, I want to see the outside. Let me have a piggy back ride and let’s walk.”
Kalypso had no choice. Weep stood to her feet gracefully and brushed her purple cloth down, then took a jump off the side of the table like a swimmer doing a cannonball. Grabbing the yarn of her coat, Weep climbed onto Kalypso’s back.
“Onward steed! Take me to a grove. Somewhere with trees. I…. I need it."
Slipping through the door the young human barely noticed the bell ring as she left despite trying to shut the door gently. Her mind was on other things, racing around in her head like an animal backed up against a wall. A figure darkened the door as the two left.

They walked, Kalypso holding the tunawa on her back, through the streets to the outskirts of town to find a tree. Going through town this late at night was scary for the girl. Her days spent crawling the streets of the dangerous Almund some short few years ago had scarred her. Even at this young age most of the things that happened were repressed. She remembered her parents leaving on a boat and then she lived in Almund, begging with a group of children who adopted her until she was taken in by Juniper. Walking around late at night always reminded her of that. A shiver went down her spine, the night was cool but that shiver was sent straight from the marrow of her very bones. From that repressed moment of her parents leaving.

“We can stop here?”

Kalypso asked, motioning to a bench settled by a large oak.
“This is it? I need more. We need to go on.”
Replied Weep but Kalypso shook her head no.
“Please? We can go farther tomorrow after I talk to Owl. I want to hear the story you wanted to tell.”
Weep, sticking out of her pocket lounged with her head in her hand while considering.
“Alright fine. But if I were you, I wouldn’t betray my trust.” Came Weep’s cool words. “Listen, helps us both in the long run. Don’t make decisions you’re going to regret.”
Last edited by Kalypso on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 766
Kalypso
Character Sheet
Templates

Re: Absent Minded Vigilante

☸☸☸

“It seems so long ago, I wanted to be a botanist and work as a healer in Desnind..”
So started the sad tale of Weep as a young tunawa. They talked for the better part of an hour, Kalypso completely engaged, before Weep convinced Kalypso to move on elsewhere to another tree. Far from home now, Kalypso was unsure what she was really even doing. Weep was still piggybacking on her and they had been lucky enough to be overlooked by anyone who passed by. That was until a hand touched her shoulder and gripped there, behind her.

Weep let out a gasp and Kalypso cried out, the hand placed making her jump out of her skin. The jig was up, she had been found. Twisting around to see who it was she was sure it was going to be Juniper, but instead saw a man who frequented the haberdashery.
“You two shouldn’t be out here, should ya?”
He asked in a mildly threatening tone as he picked Kalypso up by her arm, forcing her to stand.
“Your mom’s is looking for you, I’ll take you back.”

Weep pinched Kalypso once on the neck, hissing in her ear,
“You had something to do with this.”
Making Kalypso pale. She wasn’t sure how it happened, the little girl was sure she left everything as quietly as possible. Arriving at the shop door, Juniper was there apparently waiting for them both. Tipping the man, she brought the girls inside and quietly shut the door. The tunawa and the little girl stood awkwardly until Juniper finally spoke. She smelled strongly like wine as the smoke from her cigarette drifted around the room, pooling in a spiral around her head.
“I thought there was a break in. I shouldn’t have been so, hm, stupid. You two were trying to run away. Weep-- I could have expected this, but you Kalypso? After all of our talks?”

Weep bared her teeth for a moment and then began to cry, sliding down from Kalypso’s back and crumpling in a heap. She uttered only a few words,
“I hate you.”
But it was enough to set Juniper off.
“Yes, I assume you must. And hate me you will, for now. Escaped slaves are as good as dead slaves to me and what did you expect? I would alert the authorities... As I should now? But instead, I will reprimand you myself without the law. Those late night talks are at an end. Enjoy your solitude, Weep. You have been well kept for this long, I shudder to think of what a different master would do to you.”

Unable to fight back she took Weep into her arms and replaced her in her cage, who laid there simply crying as Juniper turned to Kalypso now.
“I have never been unkind to you and will not start, I wish you were more like a daughter to me but you aren’t. Get in your room and don’t come out until morning. Git!”
Kalypso ran on her small legs as fast as she could, shutting the door with a terrified slam.
Juniper sat in her shop until morning, drinking wine and smoking cigarettes, perched there like a vulture waiting for a kill.

word count: 548
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”