[Hopetoun] Hunting in Packs.

22nd of Cylus 721

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1724
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Hopetoun] Hunting in Packs.

22nd Trial of Cylus during Arc 721
following: this and this

It felt to Vega very much like things had just happened at the right time.

This place - so aptly named - had sprung up since the last time they'd been here. Vega knew Darius, it's founder, from Storms Edge. He'd impressed her there, because he'd been there to help, even while things were bad in his own area of the world. Vega liked him, although she didn't know him well, and he seemed to be a genuine and rather kind man. Also, he had that sort of "no-nonsense just get on with it" attitude which she very much appreciated. She was never destined to be a great thinker and she found nothing more irritating than navel-gazing and what she dubbed a 'hey nonny nonny' attitude.

They had come here, the two of them and their extended family, because Vega needed a break. She had no shame in admitting that, none at all. Storm's Edge had been a year long siege and she had been terrified throughout it. Added in to that the fact that Arlo had been missing, that she'd seen people she cared about who had died, and then she'd been put on trial for thumping someone who totally deserved it. Come to that, she'd made friends - some of whom had died - and she'd been terrified and she'd cradled dying children in her arms as she sang them back to being alive.

Vega was more than a little bit tired.

She was tired in her bones. In her heart and in her soul.

And so they'd come here.

The idea, of course, had been to come here and get pampered at a luxury resort. Once they'd got here though, they'd found that this place was here, that there was work to be done and Vega had known, immediately, that this was far and away the better thing for her. To come somewhere where she could make a difference, work hard and just get on with things. That was ideal for her. Vega knew that there were things that she needed to work through, and this place would allow that far more than some lap of luxury place where there were hot and cold running dweebs all covered in oil and impossibly beautiful, and all apparently desperate to try and paw at her and help her relax.

Whatever had they been thinking?

She'd gone hunting the night that they'd arrived here and Vega had met Sir Chip. She knew him already and he was a good person. Small, since he was a tunawa, but there were other people here too. Lars was one of them. "Wotcha," Vega said with a smile. Lars was a friendly enough fellow. Vega thought that he was used to tromping townsfolk like most of the refugees here were, and she and Arlo had immediately spotted him as someone more like them. "So, I'd like to jus' go past where I set the oasis, make sure it's ok, an' then we can go?" Lars nodded and the pair of them set off.

Vega moved alongside the man, happy and comfortable in silence. She didn't need to talk, didn't want to. Mostly, when she talked, people insisted on talking back and nine times out of ten, what they said just annoyed her. So, she was content with silence. They moved together, checking the oasis and making sure that it was all happening there how it should, and then Vega gestured. "This way," she said.

As they moved, she did take a moment to stop and point to some tracks. Kneeling together next to them, she glanced at Lars to see if he'd spotted them and if he knew what they were. "These're the big turkey-lookin' things, apparently Kazenfowl?" He nodded. "Yes," he replied, "they are. They're difficult to hunt, we can't find their nests."

Vega pointed upwards, to the treeline. "That's cos they nest in trees," she said. Lars looked at her with surprise on his face and Vega nodded. "I noticed when I was lookin' for the etchwing. They're slippery little things, but they nest righ' in the dark part of the tree, an' high up, too."

word count: 730

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1724
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Hopetoun] Hunting in Packs.

As they continued their way forward, Lars asked her a few questions, here and there, and Vega answered. She smiled at him after a couple of them, and shrugged. "I've lived on the land or on the water all my life," she said. He hadn't asked, but she figured that was what he wanted to know. "An' frankly, the idea of livin' in a house is somethin' that I jus' don't understand. I love the stars, an' I need to sleep under 'em." He nodded his head, thoughtfully, and then asked another question. "I've heard you play," he said, motioning to the fiddle she carried with her. It was a question, Vega knew, even though he spoke it as a statement. "Yeah? You like music?" He shrugged in response.

"Not normally, no."

Vega grinned a toothy grin. "Yeah, well, this is Xiur's fiddle, an' I'm apparently quite good with it," she said. He raised an eyebrow, although she wasn't sure whether that was at it being Xiur's fiddle or her self-assessment of being "quite good". He was quiet for a moment, then asked further. "Where did you learn to play like that?" Vega thought about it for a moment, then she answered. "I were in the docks when they collapsed a few arcs back. You were here?" He nodded. "My legs were shattered. Broken. They weren't sure I'd walk again." She shrugged, slightly. "Well, I wasn't havin' that, so while I were learnin' to walk, since I was in pain an' miserable, I figured everyone around me should be, an' so I learned to play the fiddle. Made an Immortals-awful screechin' noise, I did." She smiled slightly. "Serves them right, too."

She didn't believe it for a moment, but Vega needed to make light of it. He didn't argue. He just looked at her in surprise. "But you're really good. That quickly? Did you play before?"

Shaking her head, Vega then said what her head-shake suggested. "Nope. I've learned a lot of instruments since though. Piano, fiddle, harp, gittern, bit of flute. I went to a school in Rharne, they reckoned I were some kind of prodigal or somethin'," Lars smiled. "Prodigy?" He asked, rather than corrected, Vega noticed and she liked that. "Yeah, that. I dunno. Anyhow, look, I reckon here should do it."

She'd chosen a place which had a clearing and Vega gestured to the small indentation in the ground, just hidden in the grass. "That's a vole nest, yeah. They like voles. The trick for us is to be still so they don't spot us. It's righ' tricky to see it, until it's on top of the vole, so you'll need to keep an eye out. Once you've seen your first one, we'll see if you can spot the next in the sky." That was hard, too, so Vega stood, still, her bow in her hand and she waited. They were lucky, this trial, her and Lars did not have long to wait. A small vole, driven out by hunger or maybe it was naive, Vega wasn't sure, simply walked out of the lair.

And the etchwing was on it, just as fast.

She could take the kill, no doubt about it. Vega also was in no doubt that she could take it faster than Lars. He was good - he might even be very good - but she was excellent. Vega had no false humility, but equally, she knew what she wasn't good at too. She wasn't good at teaching. Ironically, she also wasn't good at learning in a particular fashion and she learned by doing. So, rather than try and explain and end up confusing or confounding the poor fellow, she just didn't move. That way, Vega figured, she was giving him the opportunity to learn on his own and he was probably much better at that.

He shot the bird and it fell, and Vega nodded. "Good," she said. He shook his head. "I've never seen anything like that, it was barely visible," he sounded amazed and Vega gave a slight noise of agreement. "I can show you how to spot it, in the sky," she said. And she tried - but the simple truth of it was that, while they both now knew what they were looking for, her ability to spot it was much better than his. Still, that allowed her to take down a few more and, while they were there to show him where the nests were for the turkey-looking birds. They noted nests but it was important that they didn't over-hunt, equally.

Lars collected some of the wood and Vega pointed to another tree, in the distance. "What's that, then?" she asked.

Lars looked at her and where she was pointing. "That's charwood, isn't it?"

Vega shook her head, glancing at him. "No, it's different. Look. Come an' see." He frowned, rater disbelievingly at first, but Vega pointed out a few differences in the shade of the bark, and then - as the two of them were standing at the tree, she pulled a piece of bark away. "Hey, look, it's different colours." Lars raised an eyebrow. The two trees looked very similar, even on close inspection, but Vega was sharp of eye and she was very - very - used to being outside, to living outdoors and it making a difference.

"Lets get some samples, take them back, yeah?"

Lars agreed and the pair of them took some branches which they could get back to the settlement. "Come on, then," she said. "Four etchwings, a new kind of wood an' the nests for the turkey-lookin' bird." She grinned. "Not a bad evenin' worth of work, eh. Come on then."
word count: 987

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

Re: [Hopetoun] Hunting in Packs.

Experience: +10 x.p.

Knowledge:
Skill
Detection x 2
Fieldcraft x 2
Hunting x 2

Skillplay: Appropriate to level

Loot:
4 x etchwings
4 or 5 large branches of phoenix tree

Injuries/Overstepping: None.

ETA:
Other consequences: Over time, word will spread of the new birds, especially etchwings. As word spreads, people will come to the area from other parts to find them. Hunters, sensing the challenge will start seeking them as trophies. Over time…

In the immediate term, however, word will somehow reach the denizens of Saoire’s Dream about these birds, and within a few trials some ever-curious cadouri will arrive to investigate. A few trials after that, some more cadouri will approach Hopetoun, worried for their friends and relatives who have not yet returned nor been heard from since their excursion in search of etchwings.
/ETA

Renown: +10.

Comments: Will no one think of the voles?!

I love me a good hunting thread. Especially when it deals with unusual settings and fauna. Etchwings are curious birds, found in many of the outline areas of Faldrass. I’ll show myself out.

The opening of this thread does a great job establishing where Vega is, what she’s going through. It seems like her hunting, and helping the settlers out by showing them how to hunt the local birds as well, is a source of renewal for her. And that makes the hunt itself more meaningful, instead of simply being utilitarian.

Vega seems to have done a good job remaining down to earth in spite of all her accomplishments and the weird things that have happened to her.

Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 273
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”