[Haven] Serenity & Serendipity

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Re: [Haven] Serenity & Serendipity

Arc 721, 17 Ashan

She knew he missed his magic. It was still there within him, just unreachable. Elisabeth knew what it felt like to a minor degree as she had been cuffed during their incarceration as well, but it wasn’t the same. The young mage had only been with her spark a short time, not arcs like Balthazar.

Her first instinct was to comfort him, but she knew that it wasn’t something he desired currently. Ever protective of their relationship, he had begun to allow brief moments between the two to be shown in front of the shadows, but not like before. She understood why, of course, but it was a struggle each trial to remember that until they could truly be free of the restrictions placed on him, to reign in her normal instincts.

Squeezing his hand before he released it, she nodded as he explained his reasoning about the fence. Elisabeth had guessed why he had said what he did, smiling. Always the man that thought he had to do everything. She was working on that, slowly. Trying to do everything would only serve to exhaust him and that wasn’t something she wished to see.

A giggle almost slipped free as Balthazar questioned some of her verbiage about the berry plants. Of course, she had slipped into an academic mode when conveying what she had learned of them. Laughing softly, she responded. “I’m sorry, love. I didn’t realize I wasn’t being clear. I supposed you can take the girl out of the library, but you can’t always take the library out of the girl.”

Gathering her thoughts again, she continued. “Propagating, in plant/tree terms, simply means how to make more. In animal terms, breeding, I suppose. Plants and trees have different ways of creating more of themselves. The berry plants have these vine things that shoot out of the main plant and create baby plants. Trees, I think, are different. There’s probably a seed or something we must collect. I’ll find out and take care of it.”

She did remember the garden, smiling a bit. “I do. I’m learning a bit about gardening. I hope to eventually try my hand at a small garden. One can dream I suppose.”

The bird distracted the trio and when Balthazar made his comment about her size. Grinning at him, she gave him a soft nudge. “I haven’t yet heard any complaints.” Glancing up at the bird again, she shook her head. “No idea. I’m sure there is probably something about them in the Baron books though. I’m just thinking, perhaps, a new food source if we find more? One of those birds is large enough to feed several people.” Elisabeth wasn’t opposed to hunting although she didn’t necessarily want to be the one hunting. She was a realist though and knew that for Haven to thrive, they needed to find as many diverse food sources as they could. “We would have to be careful though and figure out how prolific the bird is here to keep from over-hunting.” It seemed odd to consider such things but part of helping a new settlement thrive was resource management. They had to make everything count and try to keep from wiping out and one resource.

word count: 559
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

17 Ashan 721
It helped that Balthazar would be able to remember Elisabeth's explanation but in the moment he was still somewhat confused as to exactly what they were looking for and what the plants did to reproduce. However he did not further reveal his confusion because he had Elisabeth's explanation to reflect on. So the new berry plan had vines that spread out from it to create new plants. Did that mean they were just to cut some vines and move them if they wanted to plant the bush elsewhere? Would that kill the vine? Balthazar was curious because cultivating and harvesting plants was a generally useful skill for someone interested in alchemy to have, but he couldn't deny he was already spread thin trying to learn construction. He couldn't really divide his focus into gardening but fortunately because of Elisabeth he didn't have to. She said that she wanted a small garden one trial and Balthazar couldn't tell if that was or was not supposed to be considered a 'hint.'

She knew he had perfect memory so she knew he'd remember that she said it. Would she be mad if he didn't make her a small garden? No... but would it be predictable? He had to surprise her with something better than just a garden then. He laughed softly when she made the comment that she hadn't heard any complaints about her size. What sort of madman would have complained about her size? And furthermore what lunacy must have possessed him to complain about her size to her. Elisabeth suggested that the bird could be another food source for them and Balthazar turned his attention from her back to the bird sitting a little distance off. Sure, it could be a food source. However when she estimated that it could feed several people and then went on to suggest they needed to be careful not to over hunt he gave Elisabeth a more curious look.

"Did you like to read books about hunting while you were in Viden?" Balthazar asked. It was useful but she'd never spoken of hunting or butchering so he wasn't sure where he estimates were coming from. He knew large men who could probably consume the whole bird. It was a nice bird they could send hunters into the woods later to try and get some, but he thought the wood should be their main concern until the building was done. "Let's leave the birds alone for now, we can't split our focus anymore until the Munny farm is on it's feet and docks are built but we can send some settlers to hunt when we are ready." Then he got a strange idea. Well, not an entirely strange idea given what Elisabeth had just said but it was a little strange all the same. They would need to be careful how many clams they took from the shores as well. Perhaps the population of both could be controlled? He just wasn't sure how yet.

Balthazar looked around at the trees surrounding them. Somehow they'd survived the fallout or they'd grown in the long time he'd been away since. There had to be something about them which allowed them to endure while the Badlands sat as a waste. Perhaps the proximity to the relatively untouched Serenity Garden? Perhaps something else. It would take better minds to figure it out or at least a little more focus. As he looked around and saw the various trees with strange shades of pastel colors peaking out, he seemed to tense up slightly in a strange way. He had bad memories with nature. Vines, terrible creatures, trees the size of buildings... but this place was not unlike the Serenity Garden. It could not compare in beauty but there was something about its natural state that was perfect. He would remember it like this forever, but he would also be able to see the change they wrought. He noticed Trean behind him and focused on what was around him again. "I wonder where the birds came from." He said in a low voice before shaking his head and walking over to one of the trees.

He placed his hand against it but felt nothing remarkable. He gained none of the insight his magic would have normally provided him. It was just wood. Its secrets hidden until someone experimented with it. "We will certainly be the most colorful settlement." Balthazar mused. They had most of their buildings up already for housing which would create and interesting divide between the first round of things built and the second but Balthazar didn't mind. It would be interesting to see.
word count: 796

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 17 Ashan

His comment about her reading habits caused a laugh to slip free, tossing him a bit of a cheeky look. “I know lots of things about a lot of different subjects. I’ll never reveal my secrets…”

Grinning, she looked up at the bird again. “No…but, I mean, it’s logical, isn’t it? It’s not difficult to look at the bird and estimate something like that. I don’t really have any interest in hunting them myself, but I know we have hunters in the settlement. I just want to make sure we are mindful of the land and area. Respectful, I guess?”

Nodding her agreement with his assessment that they had a lot to do currently and studying/collecting the birds would be just one more thing, that it could wait, they moved on. Elisabeth joined him as he looked at the trees, noting how they looked unscathed despite the violent eruption that had happened. Running her hand along the surface of the bark, she noted how the hues of each tree were different than the others. It was weird really.

Turning to regard him, she spoke. “Do you think these trees have some sort of properties that allowed them to survive the eruption? It seems odd that there is a forest full of untouched trees while some others,“ pointing over at some burnt stumps nearby “obviously didn’t? I can’t think of how else it could have happened. I may not be a tree expert, but I don’t know of any normal tree that can grow that fast.”

She couldn’t leave the mystery alone. Curiosity was eating her alive. “Guess there’s only one way to find out…” Glancing at Trean, she smiled. “Just a little experiment, promise.”

Focusing on a downed rainbow tree that looked as though it broke off in a storm or maybe even the cold of Cylus, Elisabeth called to the element that made her feel most alive – fire. As ribbons of crimson swirled within her sapphire eyes, she concentrated, kneeling next to the tree and willing a flame to manifest within her hand.

Once it did, the matter was simple. Lowering her hand, she placed it against the surface of the exposed rainbow-hued wood and waited. And waited. And waited.

It was a full bit before she closed her hand and released fire, noting the wood remained largely the same. There were slight areas of discoloration but nothing to remotely indicate the wood would have caught on fire, leading her to believe it was fire-resistant somehow.

“Well, that answers that question.”

She was close enough to him to note when he tensed. It was subtle but she was very, very good at noticing things, especially when it came to Balthazar. Crossing the distance between them, she considered the trees to figure out what might be bothering him…and then it hit her.

The Creep. Of course.

Laying her hand on his arm, she smiled and spoke softly. “I’m sorry. Forests probably don’t remind you of good things.” Squeezing his arm before she released it, she added “Maybe sometrial we can change that. Make some good memories for you so you aren’t always reminded of the bad ones.” It was a sound idea really. She couldn't erase bad memories for him but what she could do, was add good memories so that when he entered a forest, the Creep wasn't the first thing he thought of. Maybe mingled within were memories of a walk, or picnic, or training of some sort. Something to battle the bad memories.

Shrugging her shoulders as he mused about the birds, she considered the question. "They probably were always here. I can’t imagine a whole species of animal being eliminated. Some must have survived and adapted. And it’s been a while since people have been here so all the animal populations have been allowed to grow unchecked, until now.”

word count: 669
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

17 Ashan 721
"Ah so we are keeping secrets?" Balthazar mused with a playful smile on his face when Elisabeth said she'd never reveal her secrets. He remembered a few different conversations about them not keeping things from each other but his comment was meant mostly as a joke. She elaborated that her deduction came from logic and Balthazar gave the bird a slightly more intent look before it seemed to realize it was being watched and it fluttered away. The size of the bird did not matter if they could not consumer certain parts. They'd need a butcher to really figure out what could and could not be eaten from the bird but if Elisabeth was right, good. If not, meh. She mentioned being respectful to the land and Balthazar gave a small nod. "Respectful to a point." Faldrass warned that the Badlands were dangerous but he hadn't been much more elaborate than that. They needed materials and the forest provided. There were trees other than the strangely pastel ones but Balthazar figured most people would be drawn to the pastel ones regardless.

Elisabeth may have had good intentions when she began to muse about the tree being resistant to the eruption and when she launched into her experiment, but Balthazar did not seem to enjoy it. She had just reminded him, firsthand, how much more difficult things had become for him since his magic was taken. She didn't even use the magic he considered using to figure it out, she just manifested a small flame and held it under the tree. He took a deep breath, watching her go through her experiment, using her magic as openly and at will as he had when there were mundane options available. He looked at Trean who was looking at him, probably trying to gauge a reaction to Elisabeth's carefree use of magic. Balthazar shook his head at Trean which seemed to confuse the trooper for a trill before Balthazar returned his attention to Elisabeth who still couldn't quite manage to burn the tree.

So it was fire resistant to a degree... useful. It would pay to have buildings that could resist fire when they were settling on a volcanic island.

When Elisabeth came to him and thought he was tense, she misread it for his discomfort about the Creep which had already passed into discomfort about being reminded of how mundane he was. She apologized and he realized she must have made the link the Creep so he let her believe she'd figured it out. She was perceptive, but he was good at controlling himself when he wanted to and if it made her feel better to think one thing than another, he wanted to. She asked if they could create some good memories to replace the bad ones and Balthazar gave her another soft smile. "Unfortunately, I'll remember them all with the same clarity." Balthazar lightened up a little, "But what could it hurt to add some good memories to the pile?"

When she answered his inquiry about the bird with theories, Balthazar nodded along. "It makes sense but if that's so, we should be able to find something about it in Smooglenuff's guides... the trees too." Balthazar pointed out as he thought over the collection of books Saoire had completed for him.

word count: 564

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 17 Ashan

Giggling softly as he replied to her about secrets, Elisabeth grinned widely. “Like I could ever keep a secret from you. Since the trial I met you, I’ve not ever once kept a secret from you…nor will I ever. Although I might unmercifully tease you regarding the subject from time to time. Speaking of which, where’s my favorite little fireball? I’ve not seen him for a while. Tell him I miss him, and I hope he lets me see him again soon…” Fuego was a source of fascination for the young mage. Diris in general were. She thought it was probably nice to have someone you could communicate with whenever you desired and considering those were the only private conversations Balthazar could have currently, she surmised that they were speaking a great deal.

She was glad Balthazar agreed with her on being respectful to the land. That was important to her that they were, and that they managed the resources they found responsibly, but maybe not for the reasons one would automatically jump to. The settlement was something she and Balthazar were working on – together. It was something they were helping to create and thrive. He had spoken to her about being worried that he didn’t have the skills to accomplish that goal, and as such, she was using some of her skills to augment his. It was a team effort and something she was proud of and she wanted to build Haven to last the arcs so sometrial they could both look back on it and know they did everything they could to help it get a good, solid start.

It had occurred to her that he might not be happy about her use of Defiance, but it was something they were going to have to confront sooner or later. He was insistent that she continue her training in magic and sometimes that meant she would have to wield it in front of him. That didn’t mean she would be reckless with it though. Defiance gave her the quick answer she needed to move on.

Walking back to him, she indeed had misjudged the source of his tension…but it didn’t invalidate her affection and attempt to comfort him. When he agreed to make better memories with her, Elisabeth smiled, squeezing his hand gently. “Then that’s what we’ll do. Sometrial the good memories will outweigh the bad ones. I can think of a few things that will make very good memories sometrial for us…” Grinning mischievously at him, she let the comment go while she considered the trees a bit more.

Nodding in agreement at his comment regarding the Baron books, she mused out loud. “One of these trials, we will need to find someone to gift one of the sets to. We have two complete sets of books and only need one. I’m sure someone out there would value them as much as we do. I can look when we get back to the settlement and see about identifying the trees and birds. I can also talk to Delilah about coming back out here with me to gather whatever we need to grow baby trees.”

word count: 541
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

17 Ashan 721
"Fuego, like our Flame Trooper friends, hears everything." Balthazar pointed out to Elisabeth when she told Balthazar to pass along to the diri that she missed him and wanted to see him again soon. Balthazar didn't understand why she liked him so much because she didn't ever get to actually speak with him, but he didn't mind her fascination. Fuego didn't really like attention but he thought Elisabeth was alright. Unfortunately he was not as fond of the Flame Troopers watching Balthazar. Well that was not true. The Flame Troopers were dedicated to Scalvoris and helping the island. They were doing their job. It was not that Fuego did not like them, it was that he did not want to appear before three people. "I'm sure you'll see him again soon enough." Part of Balthazar wondered if Elisabeth's fascination with Fuego was her way of expressing a desire to become Fire Forged but he dismissed the thought. She'd ask if she wanted to be initiated. She had asked for Defiance.

Balthazar's eyes widened slightly when Elisabeth mentioned a few things that would make very good memories for them. He hadn't thought anything of the comment but when he saw the mischievous grin cross her face he began to consider hidden meaning behind her words. Don't figure it out. Let her surprise you. He decided before moving on. Elisabeth suggested that they find someone to donate one set of the Baron's guide to and Balthazar shook his head. He'd already considered what to do with the duplicate copies of books that they came across but now was not the time to act on it in his opinion. "Don't go giving them away just yet," Balthazar said, "We might build a library for Haven and those books would make a decent donation. As for coming back with Delilah..." He paused and thought over his schedule.

"If you have the time, collect what we need to plant trees and try to put some by the windbreak next to Munny Farm. If not, I'll organize a more official operation later. Thank you."
word count: 366

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 17 Ashan

It wasn’t necessarily being Fire Forged that fascinated the young mage. Fuego, of course, was something of a fascination but that simply was because she had only seen him once, yet she knew he was always there. Part of her was grateful that Balthazar had been able to talk to the diri during their detainment, never actually being alone. Part of her was jealous as well because she had been alone, worried about his fate. She silently mused what it would be like to always have someone to talk to. As for the Fire Forged business, Elisabeth simply didn’t know enough about any of it to even know there was such a thing as an initiation…so it never crossed her mind.

She saw his eyes react to her remark. Frankly, she hadn’t really meant anything by the comments but now that he thought she had…hmmm. Interesting. Maybe she would just let him go on thinking those things…

Elisabeth hadn’t thought of a library and donating a set of books, but it was an excellent idea. “I hadn’t even thought about that. I actually like that idea very much, but then again, I have this thing for books and libraries. You might have heard about it…” Grinning again at him, he moved on their chatter about baby trees.

“I always have time to do things that need to be done. I’ll talk to Delilah tomorrow and see when we can get back out here. I know she’s been a bit busy with some of our other recent finds, but it shouldn’t take too long to identify the trees and figure out what is needed. No need for you to worry about it, love. It's something easily handled.”

Her mind began to whirl with ideas for the baby tree farm because, obviously, that was what she was going to call it. Someplace mostly free of wind on the farm. Inside would be best at first. Maybe once things were planted, people would be willing to house some trees in their structures until they were big enough to live outside. Elisabeth would have to talk it over with the Munny daughter, of course, but it sounded like a solid plan to her.

“And you are welcome. Always.” Smiling, she returned her attention to the forest, spotting something new. This time, it wasn’t just a flutter in the trees. There was something large moving between the trees. It wasn’t too far away but far enough that she couldn’t make the figure out clearly but it definitely was movement from something. Pointing in the direction of the movement, she spoke quietly. “Uh…guys? Something big seems to be out there…”

word count: 463
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

17 Ashan 721
"Oh you do?" Balthazar said, pretending to be surprised when Elisabeth claimed to have a thing for books and libraries. "I had no idea! What a wonderful coincidence." Now he was being a smart ass and he knew it but he didn't see any harm. It shouldn't have been hard for Elisabeth to figure out where he'd gotten the idea for a library. He was not an academic and he was not particularly fond of Viden at the moment, but he knew she was. A private collection was one thing but a library would help the whole settlement and give Elisabeth somewhere to congregate with other people who shared her more scholarly interests. She took charge and insisted that there was no need for him to be involved in the planting of the trees.

She said he didn't need to worry about it but what if he wanted to? No... he didn't really. He'd rather focus on organizing the logging operation to take the trees they could from the woods. He was more interested in things that could help with his knowledge of building than gardening for the time being so it helped to have someone who was interested in gardening nearby. "Alright, just make sure you talk it over with Edward too, he is in charge of the actual farm and I'd hate for him to get mad at us because we were going to his daughter instead of him." Balthazar pointed out to Elisabeth while she seemed caught in thoughts of a small tree army. She'd never call it an army but she'd never fought the Creep. Trees could be quite the effective army.

Balthazar hear a crunching noise a little ways off and thought immediately of more wildlife but he didn't pay it any mind because it didn't sound like it was moving closer to them. He wanted to resist his curiosity and give Elisabeth the majority of his focus. Elisabeth on the other hand, was more than willing to give into her curiosity. When she saw the figure of the creature moving she immediately addressed the group and Balthazar's brow furrowed. He turned to look in the direction she'd been looking and saw the same large mass moving between the trees. Wildlife. They were in the woods, it made sense. The Flame Trooper grabbed their bow and Balthazar's moved slightly between Elisabeth and the large figure moving between the trees. It seemed to hear them moving and- being alone, took off into the woods.

"So... hunting here would go well." Balthazar surmised before turning to Elisabeth, "Good eyes." He looked around the forest again, finding it and the Flame Trooper to be a little bit too distracting. "Should we head back to the beach?"
word count: 475

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 17 Ashan

Laughing at her smart-ass man, she couldn’t help but be delighted that he was messing with her a bit. Of course, she knew where the idea had come from, but it was further proof to her that she was never far away in his mind and that he thought about her, considered her, more than he let on. Swatting his shoulder a bit playfully, she retorted. “Well, now you know. Anything else I can enlighten you about? Any burning questions in your mind? “

Smiling as he gave her further instructions, she rolled her eyes a bit before laughing. “Yes, love. I know who to go to for what. I will make sure he’s in the loop.” She quite liked the idea of baby trees and was now curious how to go about creating them. Then again, there wasn’t much she didn’t like learning about, so it wasn’t that odd that Elisabeth was enjoying the new forms of education she was receiving.

As they looked through the wood to try and see the large mass moving through the trees, Balthazar suggested they head back to the beach. He would most likely send hunters in at some point to see if they could figure out what was living within the woods but for the time being, maybe it was better to go back. Nodding her agreement, she rejoined him, and the trio began moving back towards the settlement.

Mulling things over, she remembered something she had wanted to discuss with him, and it seemed to be the perfect time to do so. “Balthazar, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about our tent.” Glancing at the shadow, she was trying to figure out a way to convey what was on her mind. “Now that the guards have moved out, I was thinking it would be nice to sleep in the same bed with you again. Cot, whatever.” Elisabeth didn’t get into details or reasons, although she had plenty. When one boiled it down to a common denominator though, it was simple – she wanted to be close to him and since the shadows watched them sleep anyways, what difference did it make to them if they watched them sleep separately or together?

Her thoughts then drifted back to the Baron Books and his comment of earlier about finding information. “I think maybe tonight or tomorrow, I’ll read through some the Baron’s writings and see if I can’t identify some of the things we’ve been seeing and such. It’s likely that there is a lot of information in there we can use, and it would be nice to have names for some of these things. Might be other helpful ideas too.”

word count: 464
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

17 Ashan 721

Balthazar laughed but didn't ask any burning questions, drawing their little jest to a close so they could continue about more pressing matters. The creature came and went and Elisabeth seemed to agree about heading back towards the beach so the trio were quickly underway. They had evidence of wildlife and that was enough to justify later hunting but Balthazar wanted to finish the projects they had in motion and the ones they needed to complete before they turned to hunting. They began walking and Balthazar glanced back at his shadow who still had their bow drawn which put the man on edge a little. If Trean was still concerned about danger, he should have been as well- but Elisabeth wasn't so he did his best to ignore it while they returned to the settlement.

After a little walking Elisabeth broke what had grown into a comfortable silence to talk about their sleeping arrangement. She said that because the guards had moved out she wanted to sleep in the same cot as him again which Balthazar took issue with for two reasons. The first reason was that while his settlement guards had indeed moved out of the tent, Balthazar still had a Flame Trooper who watched him sleep at night. They didn't really have any more privacy than they did before, even if Elisabeth didn't care that they were being watched. He did and she was not giving him a lot of time to adjust. It had hardly been seven trials since his trial, even less since they were returned to the settlement. Sure she'd slept apart from him while imprisoned but while they were together, it had not been very long. Part of him considered refusing her request as a way to teach her discipline but that was not the real second reason he took issue with it. The second reason was that cots were terribly uncomfortable.

"No." He said in a flat tone, "Have you ever slept on a cot with another person? It's not comfortable and you don't want my elbow hitting you in the face in the middle of the night." Balthazar scratched the back of his head for a trill before continuing, "We could dig in the sand to make a bed and put blankets down but I'm not sharing a cot. I have enough aches and pains from working around the settlement already." He had a hard time saying no to Elisabeth but eventually he'd learn if he was pushed out of his comfort zone too often. He didn't like that he was being watched while he slept and he didn't like the thought that he'd be watched while Elisabeth tried to cuddle with him at night, but he'd do it for her.

Elisabeth changed the topic to the late Baron's books and said she'd go through them to see if she could identify some of what they'd seen. He knew she liked going through the books so he smiled and nodded. "There might be something useful, somewhere among all his fancy words. I don't think I'll be far if you're looking through them tonight, but if you get to it tomorrow, you get to it tomorrow. I should really read through the whole collection one trial. " He tapped his temple. "With Vri's gifts I'd have it all up here." It could be very useful for them but it would probably make Balthazar infinitely less attached to his version of the collection... collection!

Balthazar's eyes widened as an idea seemed to strike him in the head like a brick. He had a perfect memory, not perfect recollection. He had once owned an encyclopedia set about alchemy and he'd given it away but he could write out every passage he'd read and rebuild the collection now. It would take work and paper but it was achievable. Perhaps there was something among those books that would have been useful. It would also give Elisabeth something else to read. However that was a project for later. For the moment he could just enjoy the walk back through the woods with his favorite person... and Trean... his second favorite guard.
word count: 719

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”