• Closed • All Eggs in One Basket (Avalon)

26th of Ashan 721

The shallow bay Egilrun is situated upon is used, these trials, for crafts and crafting. From boatmakers to weaponsmiths, glassblowers to metalworkers, the sound of hammers and saws can be heard almost every break of the trial, with crews working in shifts to produce the beautiful craftsmanship which they might, one trial, become famous for.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Woe
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Éminence grise
Renown: 1455
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

All Eggs in One Basket (Avalon)

26th of Ashan 721

Time was of the essence, and Woe's was running short. He needed the authority of the Egg in order to act on behalf of Egilrun. Given his aspiration to defend and protect Egilrun from its enemies, it made sense to him that he try and gain a greater say in how the village was run. So, with that in mind, on arriving back to Egilrun from his excursion to Immortal's Tongue, he went straight to the Egg herself. he didn't have time to prepare. To cloth himself properly or bathe, or do any of the things he'd normally do before a big meeting. Perhaps she'd laugh him out of her office if Woe told her he wanted her position. The fact remained, Egilrun needed someone who would stand in its defense, and do what was necessary to promote the greater good.

He had no doubt that Lyza had Egilrun's best interests at heart, but rumor had it that she wished to step aside. The Lethroda wished to facilitate that. So as he approached her office, instead of bathing in preparation, he activated the spirit's gift, a power that turned his natural scent into that of enticing flowers. It was as a courtesy to her. He didn't want to offend her afterall, with the stink of travel.

He arrived at her office early in the afternoon. At the door to her manor, he knocked. He suspected she would have servants that might attempt to shoo him. He would get his foot in the door, and attempt to convince them that he was worthy of an audience with the Egg. Without any doubt, and with all of his mutations evident on his form, he presented himself to the Egg's manor. Woe was wearing a jacket of dark crimson velvet over a black silk, button-up shirt with onyx buttons. Trousers of sturdy, brown leather with diamond pattern quilted stitching. A cloth of onyx cravat wrapped around his neck and tucked into the neckline of his coat. On his feet were a pair of polished dancing shoes. On his eyes, resting over his ears, the shaded spectacles he'd bought from the Glassblower's Union hall.

He thought he was ready for this meeting.

word count: 384
Image*Image*Image
Avalon
Race: Prophet
Profession: Bootiful Bean
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Re: All Eggs in One Basket (Avalon)

Arc 721, 26 Ashan

The manor that stood before him was not as grand as some but did project the status and personality of its owner. While other residences were drab with neutral tones and clean, precise lines, Liza’s manor was something more…whimsical. What it wasn’t, certainly, was gaudy. One so skilled in the glassblowing arts – the preeminent glassmith in Egilrun – would possess a discerning eye. It wouldn’t do for colors to clash so garishly. Not at all. Stone was a beautiful material to coordinate with because it provided a blank canvas for whichever way a craftsman wished to take it, and Liza had been given an entire manor of stone to play with.

As Woe approached, he would note that not one window within his sight was simply plain. It appeared that Liza dabbled in stained glass too for all the panes present on the front of the house were accented tastefully in muted blues, greys and an occasional purple – all blending with the stone exterior exquisitely.

Once he knocked, he would wait a few moments before an older gentleman answered the door. The look on the man’s face was one of pleasant amusement as he took in their visitor, having seen all manner of characters arrive at Liza’s door. He was curious what this one wanted yet said nothing, showing him into the foyer, but no further.

“Welcome to Indigo Manor. May I ask what your business is here today?” The words spoken were polite but measured. It was obvious he had said the same piece many times over and was the warden of Liza’s precious time.

The foyer itself was a spectacular vision of glass and art, pieces displayed on tables, walls, and even hanging. Iridescent birds ‘flew’ through the air while fanciful flowers arched out of elaborate vases. As with the front of the manor, every color and form appeared to be meticulously planned out for nothing drew one’s gaze negatively. No matter where one turned, the eye would be pleased and soothed…if one were into such things.

word count: 351
Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Woe grew slightly uncomfortable before the older man's gaze, but he maintained his cool exterior, and didn't let it show. Woe hadn't bothered to soothe any of his mutations, and his Paradigm ring was safely tucked into his pocket. So the shadows danced on his features as he entered, as bid by the gentleman. The mage maintained awareness of nearby tangles, although he was careful not to overstep his bounds in manipulating any of them. He didn't want trouble, just to keep aware of what the other was feeling, or potentially suss out context clues to what they were thinking.

Indigo Manor was a fantastic place, tastefully decorated with stained glass to match the color of the stone, and just a hint of blue stained glass. It was beautiful, in short. It almost made Woe's house look like a Rynmerish dungeon.

He gave a slight smile to the man, "I would like to introduce myself to Liza. I'm Woe Morandi. I donated to arrange and have a Order of the Adunih house constructed here. I helped some in its construction. Also, I took the liberty of contacting the Rangers, so that they might secure the town against potential incursions from the agents of Slag's Deep." Woe didn't think that he'd have to cover up on that fact. Woe had every reason to suspect that Liza was loyal to Egilrun and Scalvoris. He would be surprised if he had received any inkling that she wasn't.

"Not that any of that entitles me to a meeting with the Egg, of course. But I thought since I've done a bit around town, I might offer my services to the Egg more directly. Should she wish it?" He folded his hands behind his back, and waited politely for the man to respond to any or all of what he said. He was ready to get thrown out, but he rather suspected he wouldn't. Woe had made waves since arriving in Cylus, and he expected that if Liza had any interest in the future of Egilrun, she'd want to meet him.

word count: 359
Image*Image*Image
Avalon
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Arc 721, 26 Ashan

As stated before, the older gentleman had seen everything before. This wasn’t the first or last self-proclaimed philanthropist that would haunt Liza’s doorstep, seeking an audience. Then again, many sought to speak to the Egg and while she was a generous soul, few were allowed admittance.

Bernard, for one couldn’t go by ‘older gentleman’ forever, sighed a bit, ready to rattle off the spiel about Liza’s time being much too valuable for whatever chatter this caller wished to bore her with when an uninterested voice called from the next room. “Let him through, Bernard. I can see if he’s worth her time. I’m bored anyways…”

A minor flash of irritation crossed Bernard’s face before he nodded to Woe and indicated for him to follow, leading the man into an adjoining sitting room. As with the foyer, the room was spectacularly anointed with tasteful glass pieces of every sort. The theme, however, seemed to be pieces that one would find normally within one’s home, simply made of blown glass. Bowls, pictures, plants, flowers, vases, plates – elevated from normal to extraordinary.

Sitting in the corner of the room, a woman of remarkable beauty. Arching an eyebrow as they entered, she waved a hand to the chair next to her, indicating for Woe to sit should he desire to. “Eva. Charmed. Woe, is it? I heard something about Order of the Adunih blah, blah, blah. Rangers, more blah. Slag’s Deep, soooo blah….and here you are, seeking an audience with the Egg.” There was a definite edge to her voice as she spoke but he would be unable to tell if that was simply the way she spoke to people or if something further was bothering her. The brunette hadn’t seemed to be doing anything at the time he entered, hands folded lightly in her lap, watching him. “So, let’s retell the story in a much more interesting, convincing manner and persuade me as to why I should allow you to see Liza. And you have…. let’s say 5 bits to do so. You may begin.”

Gently waving her hand at him, it seemed he had limited time with which to achieve the goal.
word count: 378
Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Woe was prepared to be turned away at the door. He did after all present himself as something of a vagabond at the moment, still in his travel clothing and bearing the signs of passage through the wilderness. He was haggard and tired on top of it all. So when the voice came from the other room, of a woman who presented herself as warden of the Egg's time, he mentally shrugged and nodded to the older gentleman. When directed, and not a moment before, he went into the room where that woman sat.

He noticed the irritation on the man's face, and so was given some pause. Was that for Woe, or for the one who called to him? Perhaps both. Woe didn't mind either way, to some people, work was a nuisance. They may start with love for it, but after so much time having served a role, one can tire of anything, and even an activity that entertained them might become trite.

The woman sitting in the corner of the room was attractive, certainly. Woe always had a penchant for brunettes personally, when he had a mind to care about a woman's looks. These days, he was more concerned about the contents of their heads than any physical characteristic, however. He didn't consider himself subject to her charms, any more than he found her capricious outlook charming. He didn't find them at all charming, to clarify. The way she dealt with the summary of his deeds and efforts on behalf of Egilrun wasn't encouraging or reflective of someone who cared for efficiency or clarity. Woe had no intention to get mired into a spot of mummery for the sake of a frivolous woman's entertainment.

Perhaps that made him a boor, yet that realization didn't change that he had no tolerance for such frivolity from someone in government.

And while it occurred to Woe that she may occupy the position she enjoyed in order to filter out those who aren't adamantly determined to meet with the Egg, he had no desire to deal with the special brand of childish fool who demanded that people dress up the basic facts in the interest of entertainment value. And yet, perhaps that was what politics was, in the end.

He maintained a polite demeanor, not breaking his thin smile for anything. He nodded along with her requests, hearing them with as much seriousness as he could project while being thoroughly disappointed with the help that Liza kept.

Perhaps the Egg wasn't worth helping.

He nodded when she said he had five bits. "Well, it seems you've heard everything material I have to present. I should confess and admit that I am not a great storyteller or one to embellish my deeds. You've already heard all I have to say, if that doesn't qualify me to earn the Egg's time, then I thank you for yours, and beg forgiveness to have wasted these few precious trills that I've taken."

With that said, Woe bowed at the hip, hand on his heart to the woman, Eva. Then he left the room.
word count: 534
Image*Image*Image
Avalon
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Arc 721, 26 Ashan

Well, that was a turn Eva hadn't seen coming.

As he said goodbye and apologized for wasting her time, all the woman did was gently incline her head. There was no outward indication of that she thought of his actions but then again, it was really none of her business. She intently watched him as he bid her adieu, turned, and departed.

Interesting.

She let Woe go without a word, leaving him to find his way to the foyer. Bernard, ever-present, was there as well. Again, without a word, he simply opened the front door and allowed the man to do what he wished. If something else had been needed, he was sure someone would have said.

If Woe walked back down the path to the main street, he would see a figure in the distance. Slender, definitely a female, she sauntered towards the house with a few bags loosely draped off her arm. He would hear the soft sounds of her voice, singing gently as she walked. By any standards, her voice was lovely.

When he was within good sight of her, he would notice that oddly, perhaps even inexplicably, it was Eva! No…that wasn’t right. It couldn’t be. There was no way it could be…but his eyes were seeing a young woman that in every way he could see, looked identical to the woman he just left.

She looked up at him, having been fussing with one of the bags, and smiled. “Oh! Good trial, Sir. I hope you are having a wonderful one?" Whomever this was, seemed completely different than Eva, stopping to address him politely instead of pushing on to the Manor. Some people liked to exchange pleasantries, and some didn’t so instead of assuming he wouldn’t wish to speak, she waited, curious as to the man’s presence.

word count: 315
Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

And so, Woe left the beautifully decorated manor that Liza lived and presumably worked in. He had to admit to some disappointment that he hadn't been able to convince his way past the woman, Eva. But more than that, he knew he had no patience for theatrics. His time in Quacia had taught him that he was no performer, and had no wish to make a fool of himself in front of important people, as he had there.

He excused himself as graciously as he could from Indigo Manor, therefore, and wound his way down toward the main street. There were few enough people on the street that he was able to pick out individuals well enough. One of them, with a particularly nice voice, was walking along and singing lightly. Woe had to do a second take when he saw her. She was identical almost exactly to Eva! Strange. Did She have relatives? Or was this somebody double that the Egg took? Mages were rare enough that he dismissed that idea as soon as it occurred to him. Not to mention that most mages weren't so petty as to seek employment as a body double.

No, she was probably related. Woe stopped when she came to a stop, it seemed polite to do so, after all, and not entirely ignore the woman. "Good trial, Madam. It's been a hard one, but it's getting better the sooner I get to rest."

That would've been that, but then, his curiosity had been piqued. He had to know what this woman had to do with Eva, if indeed she had anything. Was it a coincidence that she resembled Liza's receptionist? "I'm Woe." He said, introducing himself with an outstretched hand. If she bothered to take it, he'd ask her in turn, "You aren't by chance related to Eva, the one working at Indigo Manor?"

word count: 321
Image*Image*Image
Avalon
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Arc 721, 26 Ashan

The woman smiled as he acknowledged her. She appeared to be attentive to his words, sympathizing. “Some trials are like that, aren’t they? I often find myself wondering about the larger meaning of it all. Especially on those types of trials. But I suppose it is what it is.”

Fussing with one of the bags that was trying to slip off her shoulder, the woman listened as he spoke his question regarding Eva. The moment her name was mentioned, the smile slipped from her face. “Oh dear – you know Eva? I can’t imagine that was a good encounter, frivolous creature she is. I apologize for whatever she said. You don’t even need to tell me. I probably don’t want to know.”

Considering something for a moment, she glanced over and gave Woe a quick smile. “Your choice, but if you would be willing, I have a small area to the back of the Manor with a private entrance. And I’ve just picked up some of the most delightful tea you’ll ever have. I would enjoy your company and perhaps you’ll tell me why you visited the Manor today? It’s the least I can offer in wake of Hurricane Eva.”

Oddly, Woe hadn’t needed to say anything about Eva’s behavior. This one seemed to be very well acquainted with her.

“Oh, I’m so sorry. There was a question in there. Eva is my sister. My name is Emma. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

If he chose to decline her request, he was free to depart and finish his trial. If he chose to join her, she would walk with him back to the Manor, yet instead of using the front door, they would drift to the side of the Manor, rounding the corner and entering from the back.

Stepping back into the Manor, the first thing Woe would notice was a beautiful sunlight room. Emma quickly traversed past the solarium, leading him to something of an oddity.

Emma entered the room first, smiling as she set down the bags. As he glanced around, Woe would notice that the room had skinny, high-set windows. They allowed sunlight in, but it was focused on the upper part of the room. The room itself seemed to be a cross between a small kitchen and workspace. Bookshelves lined the walls, except for the kitchen itself, groaning with volumes of every sort. Comfortable chairs littered the library space. “Please, find a seat to your liking. I don’t generally have company back here. Tea?”

The glass theme from the rest of the house extended into this room as well, focusing mostly on ornate lamps and light sources. The light level of the room seemed to be kept fairly low, so the lamps were necessary for lighting the space. “Forgive the dungeon-esque feel. I’m sensitive to bright light so this room is perfect for my needs.” While it was certainly low light, there was something of a comfortable feel to the room. Cozy, one might say, with the lamps adding just a touch of charm to the space.

“So, I’m sure you’ve already spoken it, but if I might ask yet one more time, what brings you to Indigo Manor?” The words were said with a sincere smile and attentive gaze. This sister was very unlike the other.

word count: 573
Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A bit of smalltalk ensued, which was compulsory Woe supposed. Ultimately, in light of the self-revelation that he wanted nothing to do with politics, Woe was too aware that his patience was beginning to wear thin. He wanted to get on with his day, such as it was. Iago would need attending to, Gloom would need cheering up, and his dog Botany would need to go for some exercise. The thought of the business that laid before him was exhausting enough without adding politics to the mix. Add to that he'd just gotten home from travel. He wanted to help in the war, he did, but then, he supposed he'd done all he was qualified to do. Helping establish a Order of the Adunih outpost would surely help. And surely the Ranger's Outpost would also do some good. Although that wasn't exactly his doing, he'd drawn attention from Darbyton, which had been enough to prompt those people to act. What more could he really do?

They came to the subject of Eva, who he'd met at the manor.

"She was interesting." Woe said of Eva, shaking his head at the woman's assertion that she was frivolous. "Every important woman needs a good gatekeeper, and Eva is very good at her job of weeding out the undetermined." Woe didn't want to speak ill of the woman, although his first impression wasn't altogether positive.

Woe lifted his chin as she said Eva was her sister. That explained that mystery, they were twins. The simplest explanation won out. Woe remembered then, that Biqaj often came in twins, and sometimes triplets. He didn't know that their children often resembled each other, however.

"I sought the privilege of having an audience with the Egg." He said of his business. "And it was no Hurricane, just a light sweeping aside. It took that meeting to remember that I want nothing to do with politics at the present moment, meaning no offense to those involved in it."

Woe smiled at her and said one thing before he left for home, "I never was one for the performing arts, and it took such a meeting to remind me that is precisely what politics is, particularly the brand that we engage in Scalvoris." Here in Scalvoris, the people more or less decided who would govern them. Although that position came with certain privileges and power, ultimately one needed to put on a show for one group or another to get where they were. Such was life, really. And what Woe realized he wanted all along, was isolation.

And Woe never was great at pleasing crowds. He left Emma with a nod of the head and a wave and then left for home.

word count: 464
Image*Image*Image
Avalon
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Woe

Overview

Sometimes things don't go the way one thinks they will when they start a thread! Woe had a notion at the beginning and not too very far into the piece decided that maybe the concept of the idea was flawed. Is it best to do as he did and cut one's losses or go through the motions to get information? We won't know...but it was a beautifully written thread. Woe can be a bit capricious and that is on full display here, but it's done wonderfully well and true to the character. Time to regroup and figure out what he really wants.

Thank you for letting me GST this for you! - Avalon

XP:15
Renown: 5 (This is gonna get back to Liza!)

Loot

A clearer sense of purpose?

Knowledge

Politics - Knowing when opportunity exists for advancement
Politics - Investing in an area can have political gain
Politics - Politics can be a specific form of theater
Politics - A good gatekeeper can weed out undetermined souls
Etiquette - Cleaning up before a big meeting is important
Etiquette - Small talk is sometimes compulsory
Persuasion - Positive deeds is a good way to get your foot in the door
Persuasion - Stating what you want clearly
Persuasion - Pick your battles wisely