• Solo • A Whole Lot of Snow!

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A Whole Lot of Snow!

Cylus 17, Arc 721

On the 17th of Cylus, Devin Thorn, medical genius in progress, masterful bard and unexpected Baron (He’d just wanted Alyssia to get the job!) woke up in his nice and luxurious bed in his house in Scalvoris Town. For a few moments, he just lay there under the blankets because they were still nice and warm (He’d put a hot water bottle into his bed the evening before.), and then he let out a sigh, stretched his arms a bit and sat up – only to lie down again because he didn’t really want to get up. His bed was just so comfortable and cozy!

A moment later, he gave it another try, sat up, turned his body and slipped into his shoes that had some plush fur that had been dyed bright red on it. Finally, he stood, shivering slightly in the process. His bed had still been warm, but the temperatures in his bedroom had definitely dropped considerably since the fire in his little fireplace had gone out.

Shivering some more and making a face because he really didn’t like the cold and wished it would just go away again, he put on a dressing gown that was black and bright violet (to match his black hair and his violet eyes; such things were important to him) and ventured into the kitchen in order to get breakfast. He really needed a cup of coffee now in order to properly wake up - and get warm again. Fortunately, he was not the first person to have gotten up. His roommates, Talieson, the bard and Aidan, who was a university student, among other things, were already sitting at the table, drinking and enjoying bread with butter and jam (strawberry jam, judging by the bright red color).

He nodded at them and then he immediately marched over to the kitchen stove where a fire burnt quite merrily in order to hold his hands over it for a few moments, sighing in pleasure as he did so. Eventually, he poured a cup of coffee for himself and joined the other two men though, took a sip from the deliciously warm drink and smiled because his mood was considerably better now. “So, what are your plans for to-trial?” he asked his roommates while he cut two thick slices off the loaf of bread that was on a cutting board on the table. “I thought about making another trip to the library to check out a few books on politics and history. I’ll be meeting my fellow Barons on Faldrass in a few trials, and I want to make sure that I’m prepared.”

He had never asked to become Baron – for perhaps the first time in his life the greedy young priest of Delroth had wanted something for someone else – but he was quite excited about it, and he wanted to do a good job.

“I have a class on Xanthea to-trial”, Aidan who was perhaps an arc older than Devin replied excitedly – he was a linguistics nerd through and through and studied the subject at university – before he asked in a more serious tone of voice, “By the way, do we have to call you Your Lordship now?” That was something that had been bothering the student for a while. He was quite happy that Devin had been given such an opportunity – by an actual Immortal, no less – but he couldn’t help but wonder how things would change between them from now on!

“Nah”, Devin replied, smeared a generous amount of jam and butter onto his slice of bread and took a huge bite out of it. He quite liked being worshipped and admired and addressed with all kinds of fancy titles, but his roommates calling him Your Lordship and possibyl kneeling in front of him, and such felt a little strange, to be honest. “You can just keep on calling me Devin. By the way, once the mansion has been rebuilt, you could come and live with me!” he suggested because he really wanted to have someone that he knew nearby.

“Are there any taverns on Faldrass?” Talieson who had been quiet so far and ignoring Devin’s question in favor of his food wanted to know. He often played the lute in a tavern and entertained the patrons. It was more or less his job (sometimes, he also tried to seduce people though, and sometimes, he stayed at home and did nothing at all).

“Probably not”, Devin admitted before his eyes suddenly lit up. “But there might be soon. They are building settlements and such on Faldrass! There'll be a lot of opportunities! They’ll need a bit of entertainment – and something to distract them from the coming war. I hope there won’t really be a war”, he murmured – the fact that the council wanted to go to war with Slag’s Deep bothered him greatly. In order to distract himself from that, he ate some more and drank more coffee, with a generous amount of sugar in it. He loved sugar!

Finally, they had finished breakfast. While Aidan did the dishes and Talieson put bread, butter and such away, the Mortalborn walked over to the windows in order to open the curtains. It was Cylus, and thus it was always dark, no matter what the time of the trial was, but still – you should open the curtains in the morning!

So, Devin did just that. A moment later, he stared and abruptly exclaimed, “Guys, come here and take a look!”

Aidan and Talieson looked at him and each other in confusion for a little bit, but decided to do what he said anyway – only in order to stare as well. A whole lot of snow had fallen overnight. There was in fact so much snow that it went halfway to the windowsill!
Notes
From the Scalvoris calendar:

The worst snows Scalvoris has ever seen happen today. Over three foot of snow falls in a 12-hour period. People are stranded in their homes, and at least 10 people die.
Last edited by Devin on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1021

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: A Whole Lot of Snow!

“How am I going to get to university?” Aidan asked, sounding rather upset, as he took in the unexpected view. He really wanted to learn Xanthea – and not be stuck at home!

“How am I going to get to the library?” Devin wanted to know a moment later. Normally, he didn’t mind being stuck inside and being lazy – on the contrary, he enjoyed being lazy a great deal – but he really, really wanted to do a good job as Baron. For that, he needed to research!

He didn’t want to disappoint Saoire who was his second-favorite Immortal!

“You are going to use shovels, of course”, Talieson replied in a very dry tone of voice. “Although I assume that at least some classes at the university might be cancelled. I’m not sure about the library. That might be open, provided that the librarian isn’t snowed-in”, he decided.

We?” Devin asked in a rather exasperated tone of voice because shoveling snow was beneath him, very much. It was hard work, and it made you sweat. He was about to tell Talieson that he’d cook something nice and warm for them in the meantime, but then he realized, that he’d never be able to leave his property if he used his roommates as free labor.

Aidan was not particularly strong, and Talieson was probably even worse in that regard.

“I’ll get the shovels from the basement”, Talieson graciously offered when neither Aidan nor Devin protested and walked down the stairs into the basement that wasn’t only used for storage, but that was actually just as nicely furnished as the rest of the house.

Devin didn’t like damp and dark basements full of random stuff, so he’d turned his into a second living room of sorts.

Last edited by Devin on Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 304

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Approximately ten bits later, the three men stood in front of the door. There was a bit of an overhanging roof so that the snow wasn’t quite as bad in front of the door, and they had actually been able to open it rather than having to climb through the window, like some of the less fortunate citizens of Scalvoris Town (Devin actually saw a gentleman who lived across the street do just that – and promptly land in a heap of snow. Fortunately, he didn’t get hurt, but just got up again and started digging like crazy).

While Aidan and Talieson wore rather practical clothes, Devin wore a fine royal blue winter coat that was lined with black fur for a bit of extra warmth, a matching knit hat with a pom pom and fine gloves, and the highest boots he had been able to find because he didn’t want his socks to get wet. Wet socks were one of the most unpleasant things ever!

For a moment, the young man just stood there, hands on his hips, and eyed the white nightmare in front of him that looked quite overwhelming to him. A moment later, Talieson abruptly thrust a shovel into his hands and told him, “Let’s get started. If the three of us work together, we should be able to dig a path to the street in no time. Come on!”

Sighing, Devin wrapped his hands tightly around the wooden handle of the shovel and started shoveling. Since he wasn’t sure where the excess snow should go, he just threw it next to the path they had planned. As he did so, he didn’t only start to feel unpleasantly warm, he also came to a most surprising realization. By itself, the shovel wasn’t that heavy, even if it was a fairly big shovel (He couldn’t help but wonder if Talieson had given him the biggest shovel on purpose!). If it was filled with snow, lifting it took quite a bit of effort though. He hadn’t known that snow could weigh that much!

By the time they finally reached the street, Aidan and Talieson were absolutely tired, and Devin who had a bit more endurance (mostly due to running from danger and such) was exhausted as well, even though they had regularly taken short breaks between shoveling. They had done it though, and the young Mortalborn leaned against the wall and eyed their path that was framed by heaps of snow to the left and the right triumphantly because he was actually kind of proud of his accomplishment.

It was just then that he noticed something.

At first it was very subtle. It was barely noticeable in fact, and easy to miss, just a little bit of white every now and then. After a few bits it was absolutely unmistakable though – the snow had started to fall again.

Devin raised his head towards the sky with a look of utter shock on his face and blinked a couple of times and then he exclaimed, because he couldn’t help it, “Oh no! Not again!”

It seemed as if they would have to do it all over again soon!

word count: 538

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Avalon
Race: Prophet
Profession: Bootiful Bean
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Review Rewards

Name: Devin

Points awarded: 10

Knowledge:
Cosmetology: Matching your clothes to your hair and eyes
Discipline: Getting up even though you don’t really want to
Endurance: Shoveling snow is exhausting
Persuasion: If you want your roommates to move with you, mention the opportunities!
Strength: Lifting a big shovel full of snow

Skill Review: All Skills used appropriate to level

Notes:
The continuing adventures of Baron Devin! I always enjoy reading what Devin is thinking as opposed to what actually comes out of his mouth! Sometimes they are vastly different things but I think that's part of the character's growth - thinking something and knowing if its appropriate or not to say it. Or in some cases, even if he feels that way! Sometimes Devin's first instincts aren't how he truly feels, but he has to work through that and you write that introspection to great affect.

I was highly amused at the idea that Devin doesn't like the thought of a normal basement so his is as nice as the rest of the house!

I think the beauty of this piece of writing is that it's one event in the life of this character that you've chosen to expand upon with rich details and npcs. A snow event was the perfect choice, in my opinion...and, of course, the eventual resumption of the snow once they had cleared a path! It all blended together in a fun little solo.

Oh, is Talieson new? (That's just me being curious!)

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this review, feel free to PM. Enjoy your rewards!

Avalon

word count: 277
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”