iii. d'ogne virtute / e d'ogni pene: vega lei'nox

Vega please

17th of Ashan 721

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Hart
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

iii. d'ogne virtute / e d'ogni pene: vega lei'nox

17th Ashan, 721
early morning

The night of the 16th, Hart had received a ransom note, in his dreams.

Karshe, Hart's stag, and Tamsen, his emeyan, had confirmed that the note was legitimate, and that Hart's daughter Ru was missing. Karshe had confirmed that Ru was missing from Kirei's house in Sweetwine. Tamsen had confirmed that Ru was not in the dreaming world.

Hart's daughter had been kidnapped, and he was her ransom.

It was early morning the 17th, and Hart got up before the sun. There was a feeling that he was being watched, like the note had said; the feeling was in the dreaming world, but it was also here in the waking world, too. Hart had set up a Safe Camp for himself and Wren the night before, and he'd thought, foolishly, that it would make them safe. He'd gone to bed feeling safe.

But he didn't feel safe now. The kidnapper was watching, and there was nothing for Hart to do but to give in to their demands. He didn't know why they wanted him,

though he had a guess,

but he knew it wasn't for money, or posessions, or properties, because Hart didn't have any of those. Really, Hart had his family; but they'd kidnapped his family. They didn't want his family. They wanted him.

Other than his family, Hart had the blessing of the immortals, and he was a mortalborn. He had his abilities, both immortal-granted and granted through his domains.

He had Wish.

Wish was his guess, but he didn't know. He really didn't know.

Hart was going to exchange himself for Ru; that was a given. What wasn't a given was what he was to do with Wren. They'd left Egilrun yesterday, meaning to go to Kirei's house in the Sweetwine Woods. Hart'd had a feeling, a bad feeling, when the ability he had to sense Ru, to sense where she was and that she was safe, turned off.

Now he and Wren were most of a day's travel from Egilrun, and from Sweetwine, and from Scalvtown. Hart needed to get Wren to someone safe; then he needed to give into the kidnapper's demands.

And when he'd done that, he would get Ru.

To that end, he touched the lion locket that hung against his chest and thought, "Vega. I'm sorry that it's early. But I have a favor to ask. I have a son, Wren. He's seven years old. Is it alright if I send Wren to you? Will you"

He was silent a moment, tears stinging in his eyes. He knew Vega was observant; he didn't want to send her the wrong thought. He didn't want her to be suspicious that something was wrong. He didn't want her to worry.

"Will you look after Wren, for me?" he finally thought. He brushed at his eyes, scowling at himself, but the scowling didn't make him feel any less sad, or helpless, or sorry.

"I'm not sure how long it will be," Hart thought to Vega. "But maybe, maybe just a couple of days. I'll send him with all his things. Please, I've got something I need to do. But it won't be safe for Wren."

He didn't send this last thought again, but he did think it, awaiting her response.

Please.
Notes 4/6/21: Edited in a link to the lion lockets. The link shows that both Hart and Vega have a lion locket.
Last edited by Hart on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 608
Vega
Approved Character
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1724
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: iii. d'ogne virtute / e d'ogni pene: vega lei'nox

Vega was sitting outside their tent, her shawl wrapped around her against the wind. Just two trials ago, there had been the most Immortals-awful storm and they'd seen one of the ships which got struck by lightning. It was awful, and it reminded her - forcibly - of the very same storm which had stayed with her so much, it had continued to plague her dreams as long as she could remember. The one when she'd been seven arcs old and the ship they were on had gone to the rescue of another ship in the clan which had been struck by lightning and burned down. Her father had been badly burned and she remembered the feeling of terror she'd felt that trial as she'd watched it happening again, just two night before.

Which, frankly, only served to prove to her what she had always known and believed. No good deed ever went unpunished.

It was just that sometimes, the punishment happened not to the person carrying out the good deed, but to someone adjacent to them. As a child, she remembered vividly the feeling of arms around her, holding her back as she'd fought to get to her father. She recalled how her throat had been sore and dry from all the smoke, all the screaming of his name. And most of all, she remembered that none of it had made a difference. Nor should it. He had done what was right.

And here she sat, arcs later, and she worried about it still.

"There's something on your mind, Eva?" Jo'qan said. Vega looked up in surprise as her father came and sat next to her and she shook her head, no. Though, as she did it they both knew it was a lie and she stopped the motion, replacing it with a slight nod.

"More than your fear of the storm?"

"I'm not afraid of storms, Papa," There would have been a time when she would have snapped at him, but now she simply spoke quietly, softly. Turning to look at him, she saw the question in his eyes before he even asked it of her. "Then what are you afraid of, child?"

Vega wrapped her arms tighter, pulling the thick shawl against the cold winds and she was quiet for a moment. "Loss. I'm afraid of losin' people I love." Her father nodded, but said no more on the subject. He understood that, and he knew his daughter well, too. There was something bothering her. Vega breathed in and thought about it. She'd spoken to Arlo quite a few trials ago now and the situation they were in was no different. So, she looked to her father and said softly. "I'm pregnant, Papa."

Jo'qan's eyes widened in surprise. "I thought you could not..."

"Well, yeah, so did we. But, seems like I can. Either that or I've jus' totally ground to a halt in terms of all those women's things you don't wanna know about. An', for the record, I haven't. Ground to a halt, that is." Her father looked at her for a moment and then he moved, wrapping her in a hug. Tears stood in his eyes as he pulled back and he put his hands on her shoulders. "You will make an excellent mother, Eva. "

Vega wanted to shrug, to make some flippant remark. But instead? "Anythin' I learned about bein' a parent, I learned from you Papa." She smiled and watched in a complete lack of surprise as he hugged her tightly, then stood up. "I need to ... um." She chuckled. "Would you collect up some more firewood, Papa?" He nodded, gratefully, and then moved. She knew her father, this was more than he could manage easily and since she didn't need him, he would rather withdraw and deal with his emotions privately. That was fine with her, it was how he had always been.

So, she was sitting alone again when she heard a voice.

"Vega."

"Wot? Where are you? Oh. Oh hello, Pickle." He sounded tense, she thought. Then, she realised that she'd thought it.

" He sounds tense. Oh, nuts, I thought that. Hello. You a'right, what's the matter?"

I'm sorry that it's early. But I have a favor to ask. I have a son, Wren. He's seven years old. Is it alright if I send Wren to you? Will you"

"It's alright, I were up anyhow.
I'm pregnant.
Oh, nuts, I didn't mean to think that, neither.

Wren? Yeah. Course it is. I love kids.

I'm Faldruns daughter, see, though I hate him.

He can come here."

jus' stop thinkin' so loud, Eva, yer like a foghorn in yer head.

"Will you look after Wren, for me? I'm not sure how long it will be. But maybe, maybe just a couple of days. I'll send him with all his things. Please, I've got something I need to do. But it won't be safe for Wren."

"You don't need to ask twice, you berk. Of course it'll be my pleasure. We're friends, remember?
There's something wrong, isn't there?
I can't rush to help you, I want to.
But I'm pregnant.
I never thought I could be.

I'm on Faldrass, though, can you send him here? I'll meet him - an' you? - on the docks?

I can't go on a boat.
Oh, don't ask me to go on a boat.
She died birthin' me on a boat. An' I will have to if you ask, because you're my friend.
Please don't ask me.

Would that be alright? I can come to you, if you'd rather?

Pier 'n' Pre's pink parts, I hope he can't hear these thoughts too.

And, finally, she was quiet.
word count: 997

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Hart
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

17th Ashan, 721
early morning

"Wot? Where are you? Oh. Oh hello, Pickle."

Pickle.

Despite the situation, despite how sad and helpless Hart felt, he laughed. He hid his face in his hands, laughing, tears still stinging his eyes. Wren was sleeping nearby, and Hart laughed quietly, not wanting to wake him.

"He sounds tense," Vega thought, and Hart questioned why he'd thought, for even a moment, that she wouldn't notice that something was wrong. She was brilliant and Hart really was foolish. "Oh, nuts, I thought that. Hello. You a'right, what's the matter?" Vega asked.

He knew he wouldn't be able to hide what was wrong from her, not how he'd wanted. He didn't think he'd be able to lie so that she would be fooled. The only way he might be able to hide what was wrong would be by not responding to her.

He was going to do that, he was going to be cautious about what he responded to and what he didn't. And then, of course, she defeated the lies before he was able to think, or to not think, them.

"It's alright," Vega thought, "I were up anyhow."
"I'm pregnant. Oh, nuts, I didn't mean to think that, neither."
"Vega," Hart thought, quiet.

"Wren?" she asked, in response to whether or not it was alright for Hart to send Wren to her. "Yeah. Course it is. I love kids."
"I'm Faldrun's daughter, see, though I hate him."
"Vega," Hart thought once more. "You need to quit being so truthful." He hadn't stopped hiding his face in his hands; he was still hiding, from when he'd laughed.

"I'm Edasha's son," Hart thought, defeated. His ears burned when he responded, truth with truth. It wasn't embarrassment. He didn't know what it was.

Vulnerability, maybe.

"He can come here," Vega thought.
"Jus' stop thinkin' so loud, Eva, yer like a foghorn in yer head."
"You don't need to ask twice, you berk. Of course it'll be my pleasure. We're friends, remember?"
"There's something wrong, isn't there?"
"There's something wrong," Hart thought, ears burning.
"I can't rush to help you," Vega thought. "I want to. But I'm pregnant. I never thought I could be."
"It's not just Wren."
The thought was very quiet, but it was there, and he wished he wouldn't have thought it. But once it had been thought, he wasn't able to get it back.
"Ru." His baby. "She'll be two years old this cycle. She's been kidnapped. Because they want me. That's why I need to send Wren to you."
"Thank you for helping me with Wren," Hart thought. "But there's really nothing for you to rush to. Not because you're pregnant, but because this is something I need to do."
"They said to come alone."
"You're pregnant," Hart thought. And then once more, "You're pregnant." She'd thought, before, something about how she wasn't able to have children. "Congratulations, Vega," Hart thought. "I'm so glad for you, and for Arlo. And for your baby. Your baby is so lucky to have you."

"I'm on Faldrass, though," Vega thought, about Wren. "Can you send him here? I'll meet him - an' you? - on the docks?"
"I can't go on a boat. Oh, don't ask me to go on a boat. She died birthin' me on a boat. An' I will have to if you ask, because you're my friend. Please don't ask me."
"I wouldn't ask you to," Hart thought, "Because you're my friend too."

"Would that be alright? I can come to you, if you'd rather?"
"Pier 'n' Pre's pink parts, I hope he can't hear these thoughts too."
"I'm sorry," Hart thought. "I hear you. But stay where you are, Vega. I'll send Wren to you."

Hart stopped hiding his face; he did it to look over at the boy curled up in Hart's sweater and Hart's coat, tucked in for the night with a blanket, nearby in the tent.

"I'm sending all of my belongings with him. I'm giving him the lion's locket to wear; he'll have all that I have. Except for a messenger bag, with a bit of money, and whatever I might need to get me to Ru."

"Whoever wears the locket is able to teleport," Hart thought. It didn't need to be him wearing the locket. Ti'atha had teleported in the Mummer's Ball, wearing Vega's lion locket. "So there will be no ships. Just Wren, where you are, with a domain bag."

Hart would have smiled, but he didn't. "I don't believe Wren knows all of what we own. It could be a game," he thought, "Guessing what's all in there."

"What do you want for a baby gift?" he asked. "I'm not going to be able to get you something, now." Hart curled up where he was sitting, his knees to his chest and his arms folded on his knees. He rested his cheek on his arm, still looking at Wren. "But later. Let me know what you want, and I'll get it."
word count: 904
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

She was very much looking like a mad woman, Vega considered, as she sat in the open air and thought really hard.

"Vega," he said, "you need to quit being so truthful." She chuckled, shaking her head even though she couldn't see him.

"I don't think I'd know how to, Pickle. Come to that, I don't think you'd want me to be." She concentrated on what she was doing. What she was thinking.

"I'm Edasha's son," Hart thought, and Vega nodded.

"I'm noddin' an' shakin' my head in answer. Crimminey Jickets, Pickle, but I'm daft. Edasha's son? Well that explains why you can do what you can. Sucks an' blows, bein' my father's daughter, I know that." She didn't ask about Edasha, not in that moment. Because in that moment she knew that she needed to speak to her friend. Not about Immortal parents, or mortal ones come to that. But about children. And he told her. He told her what it was that was the issue. It wasn't just Wren, but Ru? Ru, his baby.

Oh, Pickle, I'm so sorry," she whispered into his mind. She heard what he said, what he told her. She listened to him, to what he said. They said to come alone? Vega sighed slightly, thinking about it. Thinking about what to say next. Then, she didn't think about it any more, she just thought it.

"I feel like I'm supposed to tell you that you shouldn't do that. Or that you shouldn't go alone, or somethin' like that." Vega said. "But there's nothin' I wouldn't do to keep my baby safe, so I'm not goin' to tell you that." He said, then, that he'd send Wren over and Vega's heart hurt. Her heart hurt because of that. Because she wanted to help him, wanted to do something. But he was sending all his belongings for a reason, she knew.

"A'right, Pickle. You send him, that's fine. I'll give him too much sweet food an' spoil him seven ways silly." She would as well. "An' I'll dance an' sing, an' help him learn things. There's lots of learnin' to do here, but there's lots of fun, too."

What did she want as a baby gift?

"Oh, Ashan's nuts, Pickle, you know. I'm righ' prone to tears at the moment as it is,"

She was quiet for a while. Then a little while longer.

"I do have one thing I want, an' I...." she paused. "I want you to promise me, Hart. Promise me that I won't lose my friend unless you really have no other choice. See, the thing is?" and again, she was quiet for a moment.

"I don't have many friends, an' I can't afford to lose the ones I've got. I'll look after him, I promise you. You look after you an' get your baby back."

word count: 511

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Hart
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

17th Ashan, 721
early morning

Hart thought that she should quit being so truthful, and Vega thought that he wouldn't want her to be.

Resting his cheek on his arm, looking at Wren, Hart lifted the corner of his mouth in what would have been a smile. "You're right," he thought. It was because Vega was who she was that Hart had reached out to her.

Vega was resolute in her thoughts; Hart understood that she meant what she said as she thought about what she would give Wren. That she would give him sweet food and spoil him; that there would be fun and learning. He was quiet while she spoke because he just wasn't able to speak when he was crying.

But she would be able to feel how grateful he was, that she said what she did, and that she was who she was. And that she was his friend.

He was quiet for a long time, maybe too long. If she questioned whether he was there, he would say, "I'm here." Otherwise, he was quiet, and he cried.

But this was important. And so eventually he brushed away the tears and he thought, "I'd like to tell you about Wren, if you'll let me."

Assuming Vega would let him, Hart would think for a long time about Wren, about everything Vega might need to know about the boy that Hart loved more than words were able to describe.

He thought about the Maze, and Anthropos Apteros, and Hart's first Wish. He thought about how Wren was a dreamwalker, and how he was marked by Unity. He thought about the Fall of Emea, and how Wren had fallen during the Fall, and how Hart had thought he'd died. He thought about the time he'd spent thinking Wren was dead, and then finding Wren again. He thought about Wren's time with Eliza Soule, and about Wren's time with Magpie, and he thought about Wren coming home in Cylus.

Cylus. They'd spent such a brief amount of time together.

"He actually doesn't like sweets overly much," Hart thought to Vega. "He doesn't like chocolate at all; if you want to spoil him, he likes less-sweet sweets, fruits or dried fruits, maybe some cookies. He loves books and he'll want someone to read to him or to tell him stories at night. He'll read or be read anything; he just wants to look at the books and hear the words. He's brilliant, but he's quiet. He's not good with speaking to other kids; Vega, if you could help him with the other kids, I'd appreciate it so much."

Hart was quiet a moment. "He doesn't understand death very well," Hart thought. "Because Anthropos Apteros died, and was Wished back. And because I died, and was Wished back. He's never known permanent death."

Hart remembered discussing something like this with Karshe, his stag, before Anthropos Apteros had died, before Hart had Wished Wren to life.
Hart would speak resolutely to Karshe. "If Anthropos Apteros gets out of this," he said, "And if you get out of this, and if I don't... If you're able, I would appreciate it if you would make sure that he is taken care of. He needs someone to look out for him. He needs a friend."

"I'll make sure, but you've got to get out," Karshe said.
It was strange how things repeated.

"I promise, Vega," Hart thought. "I promise; you look after Wren, and I'll look after myself. I'll do all that I'm able to get back. I wouldn't..." He was quiet, having difficulty with the words. Finally he thought, "I wouldn't ever wish you to lose a friend."

Wren was stirring, and Hart thought, "Vega, Wren's waking up. I'm going to speak with him. And then I'm giving him the lion's locket, and sending him your way. I'm not going to say goodbye to you," Hart thought. "I'll meet you on Faldrass."

Hart waited a moment, if Vega wanted to say anything. Then he removed the lion locket.

Wren was looking at him groggily from the bedroll he'd slept on, and Hart said, getting up from where he was sitting, "Wren, it's time to get up. It's time to get dressed. I'm going to make you something to eat." Wren nodded, groggy and rubbing his eyes. He was exhausted, Hart knew, from travel yesterday. It had been an emotional day for Wren, leaving Egilrun behind.

Today was not going to be much better.

When Wren had eaten, Hart sat him down to speak to him. He was careful that they were physically near to one another, but not so near that Wren wouldn't be able to see his face. It was important Wren be able to see him. "Wren, I need you to listen to me, okay? It's very important," Hart said.

Wren was quiet and cautious, maybe because of Hart's tone. But he nodded. He looked over at Hart, and Hart said, "Something happened last night, in my dreams. I learned that Ru was kidnapped. Karshe and Tamsen," Tamsen was Hart's emeyan, "Confirmed that it's real."

Wren didn't need more than that to understand that the dream was real; he was a dreamwalker. The boy looked scared, and Hart brushed a hand at his face, as if to brush away his fear. I'm sorry, Wren.

"I'm going to speak to the kidnapper," Hart said quietly. "They asked me to speak with them. But this is something I need to do by myself," Hart said. "It's not going to be safe, not for you."

"I spoke with Vega this morning," Hart said. "You remember Vega?"

"No," Wren said, but Hart knew he remembered her. Wren had never met Vega, but Hart had spoken of her before.

"She's my friend, with the locket," Hart said. "I'm going to send you to Vega on Faldrass, okay? I'm going to speak to the kidnapper, and get Ru back. And then I'm going to get right back to you."

"No," Wren said again. He was quiet. Then tears fell down his face, and he began to cry. Hart wrapped him up in a hug and Wren cried into him. "No," Wren said. "No."

"I'm sorry," Hart said, and he wouldn't cry. "Vega's very nice," he said, "And her husband Arlo, too. She said there would be dancing and singing, and that you'll have fun, and that she'll teach you things. There are a lot of good things on Faldrass, I bet. A lot of new people to meet, and new things to learn."

"I don't want to," Wren cried.

"I know," Hart said quietly.

"Wren, I need to know that you're safe. Vega and Arlo, they're very strong. I know you'll be safe with them." It wouldn't have been safe for Wren to go with Hart to speak to the kidnapper; they'd said to come alone. But even if they hadn't, it still wouldn't have been safe. There was the feeling that he, they, were being watched. "Vega and Arlo are some of the best people I know," Hart said.

"Maybe it'll just be for a couple of days," he repeated. He'd said the same thing to Vega. Maybe if he said it, it would be true. "Just a couple of days."

Wren cried, and Hart held him. Eventually Wren stopped crying. "I love you, Wren," Hart said. There weren't words for how much Hart loved him. "But Ru's my daughter, and I love her, too." Wren nodded, drying his tears on Hart's shirt. Hart didn't want to let go, but he held Wren at arm's length. He said, looking at him, "It will be okay."

"Just for a couple of days," Wren said. "Do you promise?"

"I promise," Hart said, and wished that it wouldn't be a lie.

Hart explained about the lion's locket, and how Wren would be able to hear Vega, and how Vega would be able to hear Wren. "You need to tell her you're coming now, okay?" Hart said. He gave Wren the locket to wear.

"Vega?" Wren said, and Vega would hear him though he was speaking aloud. "I'm coming now."

"You're going to have the domain bag." Hart placed one of the straps of the bag on Wren's shoulder, and Wren grabbed the bag tight in his arms. He was still wearing Hart's coat, and he was holding Hart's sweater. "You need to look after all our things for me, okay, while I'm gone."

"Okay," Wren said. And then in a trembling voice, he said, "I'm scared."

"Vega will be there," Hart said. "You just need to get to her." It might have been difficult, for other children. But Wren was a dreamwalker,
powerful for a boy so young
; and because of that, to some extent, he understood things like this. Things of the mind. "Just think about getting to her," Hart said.

And Wren was gone.

Hart sat in the tent, by himself. He was still for a moment, tempted to cry; then he rummaged in the messenger bag he had kept with him, and looked at a small silver wren. He held the wren in his hands, and told himself crying wouldn't help Wren or Ru.

In the settlement of Hopetoun, a seven year old boy with messy hair and dark blue eyes appeared by Vega's side. He was of average height for his age and of average weight, though he'd been growing a little. He was wearing a man's coat, much too big for him, and was holding a grey knit sweater with a torn sleeve and what appeared to be a backpack; he wore the man's coat over his own coat. He had a scuff on one knee.

Wren looked around at his surroundings, a quiet sob building in his chest. Then he looked at Vega, and tears fell down his face. "Vega?" Wren said. If she said it was her, he would lean against her, and cry.

Eventually he would settle down. But he would be quiet and, for the first day, prone to tears.
Notes: Please assume that, if Vega lets him, Hart will tell her all details about the events described, save one. He'll give all the details that he remembers from the Maze, the Fall of Emea, finding Wren, and all the details about what Wren and Llyr Llywelyn [Magpie] told him about Wren's time with both Eliza Soule and Llyr. Message me if you have questions about any of it.

But Hart won't say much about how he himself died, and was Wished back. He just isn't able to speak about it.

Wren has all of Hart's possessions listed here, except things for generic travel and the small silver wren. Hart has the tent, a bedroll, a small ax for cutting wood, rations, money, extra clothes, toiletries; things like that.

I'm not sure how this works IC, but OOC Llyr Llywelyn has said that Llyr would be sending things to Wren, like clothing and books and toys, to help take care of him. Llyr is Tier 8. If that's alright, then Wren's possessions are those, as well. If not, assume he has very little in the way of books and toys and things. Hart is Tier 1.

Excluding these notes, the word count of this post is about 1675 words.
word count: 1988
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Hart told her about Wren, she was pleased to hear it. Information was important and she'd only be able to help the child, to make him as comfortable as she could, as quickly as she could. That would be important, Vega knew, and so she listened intently.

And he told her. Oh, what he told her. The story of how Wren came to be, and what Hart had done and when and why. Vega listened and she paid close and rapt attention to him. Every part of the story, she listened and when she needed to ask questions to understand, she did. Because it was important.

Because she was married to Cassion's son. So she knew how important stories were. When Hart said that he liked stories, Vega smiled. "Arlo is a storyteller beyond compare," she thought to him. "An' I'm biased, course I am, but I'm also right. We'll keep him safe, and we'll keep him as happy as he can be without you." And, when his words were done, and he had nothing more to say, he told her that he wouldn't say goodbye, but that he'd meet her on Faldrass.

"Alright, Hart," Vega said. No calling him Pickle now, it seemed. "I'll see you on Faldrass, an' I look forward to it. Xiur's blessin' on you, my friend"

She was quiet for a moment, things went quiet and she stood and she breathed out and then, Vega did something she rarely did. She knelt down to pray.

"Xiur, an' Qylios, an' Ilaren an' Daia, I beg you," Vega said. "If I have ever done anythin' that makes you proud or if you look this way then please, turn your gaze to Hart, my friend. Please, turn your gaze to him, an' protect him an' his daughter. Bring him hope, Xiur, an' Qylios, he's the man I talked to you about in the Ball. His courage is shinin' like the brightest light, Qylios, please. Daia. it were him an' me what put our energies forward an' he's given, an' he's given. Please, Daia, let him prosper. "

She had literally never prayed more ardently.

And then a voice, a young child's voice. "I'm here, Ween. Waitin' for you."

When the child appeared, Vega was already kneeling and she simply wrapped her arms around him. "Hey there, you," she said and she held on too him, rocking him gently. She didn't push him, didn't expect him to be more or less or anything other than what he was. He was sad and he cried and she held him. "It's gonna be alright in the end," she said. "An' if it's not alright, Wren, then it's not the end."

Stroking his hair, she smiled at him. "So, we live in this place called Hopetoun," she said. "Me an' Arlo. We're livin' there. There's people there, an' there's lots to do. People are busy, an' there's huntin' an' fishin', an' building things an' stuff." She stroked his hair again, "An' Arlo, he knows all the stories. An' he cooks real good food." His hair wasn't going to settle, no matter what. "You ever gone fishin', Wren? I'd love to teach you, if you'd like. Not today though. Today, things are tricky, an' difficult, an' you just need to miss your Papa."

"I call him Hart," Wren said, and Vega nodded. "I know you do. Doesn't mean he's not your Papa, though, does it?" She kissed his forehead and held him close as he cried.
word count: 611

Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

]

Thread Comments: Poor Wren. Poor Hart. Poor everyone. In spite of all the magic and other fantastic things involved in this thread, it is, at the bottom, a story about people with emotions and attachments and lives at stake. And even though plot-wise, it is a completely banal story about somebody dropping off a kid at the baby-sitter’s, it is so sooo much more than that. Thank both of you for making this such a compelling read.
Vega

Experience: +15 xp

Magic xp: No.

Knowledge:
None claimed.

Renown: +5. Wren suddenly showing up in Vega’s care will cause a bit of a stir in Hopetoun.

Loot: Temporary custody of one Wren with a Domain bag full of stuff. Don't steal!

Skillplay: Approriate to level.

Comments: “I know you do. Doesn't mean he's not your Papa, though, does it.” I’m not a crier, but that made me tear up a bit. Vega is such a fascinating mix of toughness and vulnerability, bluntness and sensitivity. Like onions or ogres. Okay, that simile doesn’t quite work here. But you know what I mean.
Hart

Experience: +15 x.p.

Skillplay: Appropriate to level.

Knowledges:

Knowledge:
Caregiving: Getting a suitable guardian for a child, when you're not able to care for them
Caregiving: Informing a child's new guardian about the child's history and needs
Caregiving: Informing a child that they will need to be cared for by a new guardian
Caregiving: Removing a child from an unsafe situation
Caregiving: Crying when you need to cry

Discipline: Disciplining your emotions to be a better carer in an emotional situation
Psychology: Letting yourself be vulnerable emotionally

ETA: Non-skill:
PC: Vega Lei'nox / Vega Creede
Vega: Hart's Vega-ism is Pickle
Vega: Didn't believe she was able to be pregnant
Vega: Said she was pregnant 17th Ashan, 721
Vega: Faldrunborn
Vega: Said her mother died birthing her on a ship
Vega: Looked after Wren in Ashan 721, when Ruari was kidnapped

Hart: Told Vega he was Edashaborn
Hart: Told Vega Ru was kidnapped 17th Ashan, 721
Hart: Told Vega everything about Wren
Hart: Told Vega he died and was Wished back, but not the details

Renown: +5. I’m assuming that people in Hopetoun will learn where Wren came from, especially since he refers to Hart as “Hart”.

Loot: Most of Hart's portable belongings will be in Vega's care until he can return for them.

Comments:
I’ve read three of these threads so far, and I really really *really* want Hart to get Ru back, and for whoever did this to pay for it. That’s how much you’ve drawn me into this story. Good job!

I felt that “Disciplining your emotions to be a better carer” would work better as a Discipline knowledge, while “Crying when you need to cry” worked better as a Caregiving knowledge, so I switched ‘em. “Letting yourself be vulnerable emotionally” I put under Psychology.
Let me know if either of you have any questions/feedback. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 515
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”