A tale of love and kippers.....

When the history books talk of this time, they'll tell a tale of two cats, brought together by destiny. From across Idalos they found their way to be together and everyone heard the purring as their true, kitty-riffic kipper-eating cat-love was born.

39th of Ashan 721

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Perdita Westcott
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Scholar
Renown: 125
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Milestones

Miscellaneous

A tale of love and kippers.....

A Tale of Love & Kippers
39th Ashan, 721

hey were expecting a visitor and so, Perdita had cleaned the house. Or, more precisely, they were expecting a visitor and so Perdita had cleaned the house three times. At least.

"Her name's Elisabeth," Perdita said. They'd been looking after Storm ~ Elisabeth's cat ~ since Perdita's parents had arrived ten trials before. Leontes and Hermoine had brought Soot ~ Perdita's pure-white cat and Storm with them. "It sounds like the same woman?" He'd met her in the Scholars' Nook - although Perdita didn't know for sure. Since then, the two cats had been kept entirely indoors and Perdita had, frankly, showered them with attention. And food. Lots of food. She'd discovered through extensive trial (and frankly, not much error because they were eating machines) that the cats especially loved kippers. That was fine, they lived on a small island and fish were plentiful. So, each morning Perdita had made sure that the cats had kippers for their breakfast, and again in the evening.

Consequently, the cats loved her.

However, what had also become apparent was that the cats had become friends ~ and possibly more than that ~ in their time together. They had travelled from Rharne to Scalvoris together, after all, and the two cats had grown very used to each other. Perdita games with them and was more than delighted when they clambered up on her in the evening. "I met her in the library," Perdita explained as she fussed around plumping up cushions. Suddenly, she looked up at him and she grinned. "I told her about you," Dropping the cushion, she moved over to him and she slipped her arms around his waist. "I blushed," she didn't think that he'd been surprised at that. "lots."

Looking up at him, Perdita smiled and whispered. "I told her you are the cleverest man in the world," because he was, as far as she was concerned. At the sound of the door being knocked, though, she smiled at him. "I'll go," she said and she made her way to answer the door. They lived in a niceTier 6 house near the University and Perdita opened the door with a smile. "Hello," she said to Elisabeth, who was there. "Come in, please,". Perdita had closed the living room door in order to make sure that the cats were both kept in there and didn't scamper out the open door, and she made sure that the front door was closed before opening it. There, in the living room was Eli, two cats who were rolling around on the floor and playing together, and a bowl of mostly-devoured kippers. On the table were drawings, but not the kind of drawings one might expect of an artist - nor even of an engineer - but instead they were plans of a building. A very nice, large building, judging by a glance.

"How are you?" Perdita asked Elisabeth, offering to take her coat if she had one. "This is Eli," she said. "I believe the two of you know each other?" And, of course, as she said that? She blushed.
word count: 530
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Re: A tale of love and kippers.....

Arc 721, 39 Ashan

Elisabeth waited patiently at the front door, glancing around and absentmindedly playing with the slender silver band on her finger. She wished Balthazar had been able to accompany her to Scalvoris Town but that wasn’t to be. Still, she missed him and the settlement. Her memory...something was fuzzy about it, but she had gone on with her business, knowing she needed to get Storm from Perdita.

As the door opened, the young mage smiled brightly at Perdita. “Hello! It’s good to see you.” Stepping into the house, she couldn’t help but glance around. It was quite lovely – far more than Elisabeth had ever done with the house in Rharne. “Your home is lovely, Perdita.” To an observer, it might seem like she was engaging in small talk, but all words had meaning to Elisabeth. Truthfully, she wasn’t very good at small talk, but she was learning. Slowly.

As Perdita opened the inner door, Elisabeth spotted her kitten, Storm. Truth be told, they hadn’t much of a chance to bond before she had left for Viden. A gift from Seira on a very strange but memorable trial, Elisabeth hadn’t been prepared for a companion. Upon seeing him though, she smiled brightly. “Looks like he’s made a friend. Yours, I assume?” Storm, for his part, seemed to recognize her voice, offering up a soft 'meow', but far too interested in his play session for anything further.

Shrugging off her coat, she gently handed it to the young woman when offered, and grinned at Eli, then back to Perdita. “Funny story actually. I met both of you on the very same trial – different locations. I didn’t start putting puzzle pieces together until later in the trial, however.” A sincere smile to Eli. “A pleasure to see you again, Eli.” For some reason, that, she remembered...but other things? It was weird.

Perdita’s question caused a bit of a cloud to cross Elisabeth’s face. The other young woman had a way of disarming her normal confidence – the mark of burgeoning friendship. The cloud quickly passed though, and her voice replied. “I’m alright. Thank you for asking. Better now that I’m here with new friends and Storm.” As for elaboration, she offered none. "I hope you both have been well?"

“I can’t begin to thank you for helping me with this matter. I genuinely appreciate it. I hope you will pass on my gratitude to your parents as well.”

Last edited by Elisabeth Black on Fri May 14, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 422
Elijah Lamoreaux
Approved Character
Profession: Engineer
Renown: 60
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Elisabeth was apparently to be their first official visitor since they'd moved into their new home, and from Eli's perspective, Perdie was raising the art of preparedness; dusting, tidying, plumping and rearranging; to a whole other level than any he'd witnessed before. Of course they each had their own unique talents...thus their own part to play; and being organized and tidy was squarely in Perdie's wheelhouse.

Not so much for Eli. He was good with his hands, had a knack for fixing things or rigging things up, and he'd found plenty of ways to contribute in that regard. But so far as receiving guests, his contribution to the upcoming event had mostly been clearing off some remnants of one of his ongoing project from the kitchen table, and shutting the door to his workspace in order to conceal it's relative disorder from public view. "It might just be," he said while bending down to retrieve a runaway, previously missing bolt when he spotted one of the cats batting it around the floor.

Was this Elisabeth that Perdie knew, the same that he'd met previously at the Scholar's Nook? Elisabeth, he figured, might not be the rarest of names in the land, though in truth he couldn't recall having met another before. Still, the connection with books and whatever else Perdie had told him, made it seem likely they were one and the same. As for her having blushed while speaking to this woman, Eli couldn't claim to be surprised. Grinning a little, he figured it was an almost constant state, and one of the things he cared for most about Perdie.

"But you know if you keep telling people that, someone will take you at your word and demand that I perform some sort of miracle. Not quite there yet," he teased her. In his mind, Perdie flattered him far more than his current experience warranted. But then of course their guest arrived, and just as suspected, the face on the other side of the door was a familiar one. He smiled and nodded. "Hello, Elsabeth. So we meet again. A pleasure, and welcome."

Better now, though? If her choice of phrasing caused him to wonder, Eli certainly wasn't inclined to ask. If he was curious, well, his expression was one that registered a consistent level of curiosity, to some extent or another. As an engineer and inventor, it came with the territory. "But yes, please come in. You've been well since we last met?"
word count: 428
Perdita Westcott
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

A Tale of Love & Kippers
39th Ashan, 721

hen Eli said that, should she keep telling people how clever he was, they'd believe her, Perdita looked at him and smiled. That was fine with her; as far as she was concerned he very much sold himself short. After all, he'd been the one who knew so much, was so very beyond clever that he had skipped an entire level of qualification. But, she thought it a lot, and said it now and then. And so this time, she simply smiled and looked at him. It was still, in many ways, a time of adjustment for the two of them. It had been, after all, only ten trials since they'd agreed that it would be "alright" if they were together, and her parents had offered to sponsor them.

Still, now was not the time for that, or for thinking about such things. Now was the time for making sure that the cushions were ... oh, no, there was the door. No more cushion-arranging or pillow-plumping, she considered and instead she simply moved to open the door. Her pleasure at seeing Elisabeth was genuine, she'd liked the woman she met in the library and Perdita was always happy to help or be helpful. It was, simply, her way.

"Yes," Perdita said, of the snow-white cat with strangely mis-matched eyes. "She's Soot," Taking Elisabeth's coat she hung it up by the side of the door and in to the room they went. Elisabeth and Eli did know each other and so that saved any awkwardness. She nodded when Elisabeth had said she met Eli on the same day as the two of them had met ~ they had discussed it then, her and Eli, when he'd got home. She ushered Elisabeth in to the living area and then Perdita sat on the floor to fuss the cats. "Sit wherever you prefer," she said to Elisabeth and then - as soon as Elisabeth thanked her, she shook her head and blushed. "My parents don't mind," she said, most genuinely. "The books are here, too." When the two of them had met in the library, Perdita had agreed to have some books brought from Rharne. The history of Rharne, specifically.

Elisabeth asked how they had both been, and Perdita nodded. "Very well, yes," she said. She glanced at Eli and smiled, while still blushing. "We're studying," she said. Eli wouldn't say it, she was sure, so she did. "Certificate in Engineering," she said, motioning to Eli. "Art and History," she motioned to herself then. Really, the only other news of any kind was, of course, "And parents visiting." Her parents weren't showing any sign of leaving any time soon - and that worried Perdita somewhat. They seemed to be liking Scalvoris, thinking that maybe it needed a tea shop or something.

She was happy at the idea, but she also didn't want to spend her life being trailed by them.

Still, she turned her attention to their guest. "What about you?" Perdita asked with genuine interest. Eli had asked how she was since last they'd met and Perdita didn't want to overwhelm their guest. So, instead. "Are you in town long?" She hoped they'd get to have that lunch they had discussed, but she didn't want to assume.
word count: 569
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 39 Ashan

Smiling at Eli, Elisabeth nodded her head at his gracious welcome. “It seems so! I hope your studies and research are continuing to go well?”

Following them into the living area, Perdita got down on the floor and she thought that to be a fine idea, lowering to sit, smiling as Storm came over to inspect her, crawling slowly up onto her lap. Perdita mentioned the books on Rharne history, the young woman glanced over at her and smiled. “Thank you yet again….”

Perdita caught her up on their studies. Smiling at Eli as she mentioned the Certificate, the young mage congratulated him. “Well done, Eli! That is wonderful news.” Perdita was studying History and Art, it seemed. “I would love to see some of your current work when you have a moment? It’s been a while and I’m sure you’ve progressed a great deal.”

It seemed they both wanted to talk about how she was doing as well but splitting focus like that and answering the question twice seemed inefficient, so she waited for the conversation to come back around to it. “Me? Well, that is a very long story. Windy, twisty road really. Some pieces aren’t worth conveying. Long story short, I’m settled on Faldrass now in a small settlement on the windward side of the island, with the friend I told you about, Perdita. He was asked to found a settlement there and he wanted me to stay. It’s been a bit of an adjustment, but we are doing well. I came to town to pick up Storm, see you both and do a bit of shopping.” There were also pieces that were missing, but she didn't want to think about it at that moment.

As for how long? Well, unfortunately…not long. “I’m only in town for the trial, unfortunately…although I’d still love to go to lunch. I always make time for friends.” Smiling at them both, Elisabeth considered the comment. She had so few friends, preferring quality over quantity.

Yes, she considered them both friends. “ I wish I could stay longer but things are extraordinarily busy right now with everything going on. I just don’t want to be gone any longer than I have to. Faldrass is just rebuilding from the eruption and…I just want to make sure it stays alright.”

“Are either of you up to anything beyond studies?”
Smiling a knowing smile, Elisabeth cast her gaze from one to the other, wondering what else was going on in their lives. “I know very well the rigors of life in academia…so I hope you are balancing that with something else. Balance is important.” She was aware that Perdita knew this…but it never hurt to remind one.

word count: 470
Perdita Westcott
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

A Tale of Love & Kippers
39th Ashan, 721

s Perdita and Elisabeth made their way into the living room, Elisabeth asked to see some of her current work and Perdita blushed a deep crimson. "I did that," she said, pointing to a painting on the wall. She'd put it there to keep her parents off her back because they seemed to be constantly nagging her to get her artwork displayed. As soon as they went home, it would be gone back with them - a gift that she couldn't wait to get rid of. The painting itself was of a scene of sunlight bursting through heavy foliage in the trees of Desnind.

Elisabeth was settled on Faldrass, with her friend and Perdita nodded and smiled. That sounded nice. A settlement of people, all working together? That sounded less nice to her, as there was very little Perdita liked less than crowds. But, she was getting more used to the groups of people here - probably Faldrass had less, she thought. But then, if one was in a settlement, all living together, wouldn't everyone look at you? It would be hard to be hidden there, she considered, and decided that no, that probably wasn't something she'd be good at. But, thankfully, there were people like Elisabeth and her friend who would do wonderfully at it, she was sure.

When Elisabeth said she was only in town for one trial, though, it meant that they wouldn't get to have lunch this time. "My parents are taking us out, to-trial" she said softly. They were insistent, her parents, on 'getting to know' Eli ~ although why they needed to was beyond Perdita. They had these notions of needing to approve of him, to know and understand him. Frankly, it all seemed like a lot of fuss, considering he was her choice, not theirs. She smiled, though, when Elisabeth said she knew very well the rigors of a life of academia. "Have you started studying, too?" When they'd met, Elisabeth had been thinking about taking a qualification, so Perdita was pleased at the thought that she might be.

As for what they were up to beyond their studies, Perdita shrugged slightly. "My parents have offered to set up a business for us. Sponsor us," she supposed that was what it was. "We're working out details." That wasn't what Elisabeth meant though, Perdita knew. Balance was important? As Eli excused himself to go and see what a noise was out the back, Perdita smiled at him and then considered Elisabeth's question more. "We're balanced," she said quietly. "Trial by trial, enjoying life." They worked hard, her and Eli, but this place was a place of refuge for them both. A place where they could simply relax together. However, she and Elisabeth didn't know each other well, having met only once before so Perdita didn't feel like she could - or should - share any more than she already had. She reached down, though, and stroked the kitten. "We'll miss him. He's been good company for Soot," she said. "I think she gets lonely." Looking up at Elisabeth she gave a sudden, but brief, smile. "Maybe they could have play dates."

Perdita considered, then, what it must be like to live on Faldrass. They were rebuilding, Elisabeth said. That must be enormously hard. "What's it like," Perdita asked, softly. "The settlement, I mean?"

word count: 579
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 39 Ashan

Perdita shyly pointed out a painting on the wall that she did, causing Elisabeth to glance over at the beautiful landscape art, smiling. “It’s beautiful. What location is that?” It was a landscape, which made it difficult to tell, but then again, Elisabeth hadn’t traveled extensively.

A thought came to her, remembering a previous conversation. “Is that Desnind? I remember you mentioned to me that you and Eli came from there. What is it like there?” The young mage tried to reign in her curiosity as much as possible, not wishing to overwhelm the younger woman with questions, but sometimes the questions just happened.

Travel was something Elisabeth very much wanted to do in the future, but responsibilities kept her where she was for the time being. Ever since Rharne, seeing someplace new and exciting, she had wanted to expand her horizons. Rharne had helped open her eyes to possibilities, and Scalvoris even more so. Naturally, she felt that the more she saw Idalos, the more her perspective on life would alter, which didn’t seem wrong. At least in her opinion.

Perdita mentioned her parents taking Eli and herself out to lunch, prompting a smile from the young woman. “That sounds enjoyable. I hope you all have a lovely time. How long will they be here for?" It would have been nice to catch up with Perdita, but a part of Elisabeth wished to get back to Faldrass as soon as possible. The fuzziness in her mind wasn’t diminishing, and she was hoping Balthazar would have some insight into what was going on.

About studying, Elisabeth gently shook her head. “Not yet. Things have been busy with the settlement, and finding time has been challenging, but I hope to soon.” She considered extending the comment a bit more but was aware of her tendency to share too much and thought better of it.

Nodding her head in response to Perdita’s assurances that they were indeed ‘balanced,’ Elisabeth let the subject drop. She tended to go and go until compelled by some outside force to stop and take a break. Elisabeth didn’t wish that for anyone and often tried to make sure others practiced healthier habits than she. Then again, perhaps eventually, she would learn how to slow down.

Smiling as Perdita stroked Storm, Elisabeth knelt to be at the same level as the pair. “I’m glad he got to spend this time here. I think that playdates are in order. I can let you know when I’m coming from Faldrass?”

The younger woman mentioned the settlement and broached the question of what it was like. Elisabeth considered her answer carefully before replying. “It’s…different. It’s not like what I expected but in a good way. It’s tough and can be isolating at times. We live in a part of Faldrass that isn’t very accessible, so we must rely on each other a lot. It’s different but rewarding in a unique way.”

word count: 508
Perdita Westcott
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

A Tale of Love & Kippers
39th Ashan, 721

he praise of her painting prompted the inevitable deep blush from Perdita. "It's Desnind, yes." she said softly. "We lived there," as she said that, she pointed to one of the trees with two small, interlinked houses nestled in them. Then, she was very happy to turn attention away from her art and onto something else - anything else, frankly. Elisabeth asked what Desnind was like and Perdita thought about it. "Quiet," she said, softly. "It was magical," the place, the people. It had been, after all, the first time that she left Rharne and she hadn't meant to go there, not at all. But she didn't regret it for a moment, and Perdita considered that it was probably a good thing.

"I don't know," she admitted, of how long her parents were staying. She smiled slightly, a hint of mischief showing in her usually so-serious face. "Not much longer," she said, and then added. "Hopefully." Perdita adored her parents, there was no doubting it, but they were there and concerned and focused and irritating. She loved them, but she was trying to work out how to live this life of hers and having them breathing down her neck made that just a little more difficult.

She loved the idea of playdates and, when Elisabeth said that she'd let her know when she was coming back here, Perdita nodded. "I'd like that," she said softly, and said no more than that. It was, undeniably, true. Perdita didn't have friends - other than Eli - but she was keen to mingle more, to get to know people and Elisabeth seemed like someone she could get along with. When she spoke about the settlement, Perdita listened and she considered it. "It sounds tough," she said, honestly. "Wonderful, but tough." She considered it for a moment, and then she looked at Elisabeth with a serious gaze and a matching expression. "If.. if you want," she said, a blush staining her cheeks, "I could make a book," she gestured to one of the books on the shelves in the room. "I made that," she said. Then, she considered how to word it. "Haven's history," she smiled. "As you make it." Shrugging slightly, she was aware that she was blushing furiously. "Your story. Illustrated."

But then, of course, there was an important thing to say. "Only if you want," she shook her head. "No pressure." It sounded like the kind of thing that would be useful and, whilst not important in the big scheme of things, it would be something for the settlers to keep and, hopefully, treasure.
word count: 447
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Arc 721, 39 Ashan

The more time Elisabeth spent with Perdita, the more she appreciated the young woman for who she was. Her quiet manner was something the young mage appreciated. She felt…calmer in Perdita's presence, as if the world could move along with her for a time and allow Elisabeth a few precious bits to breathe.

When the subject of Perdita's parents came up, she noted the mischievous smile, and Elisabeth understood the reason behind it but didn't press further. She could understand how that situation might be a bit awkward.

Wonderful, but tough. That was an excellent way to describe settlement life. It was unlike anything she had experienced before arriving in Haven, but they were making it work. At least she thought so. She fought others' doubt with faith - always. Elisabeth may not have known what she was doing most of the time, but she gave it everything she had inside.

It was then that Perdita surprised her. A book? She didn't understand at first, but as the young woman explained the idea to her, the more Elisabeth loved the concept. It was something she and Perdita could work on together as a gift to the settlement. History was important, remembering how things had come about and passing on that knowledge to others – all things Elisabeth felt deeply were significant.

Falling silent for a moment as she considered the offer, a smile crept onto Elisabeth's lips. Her answer was soft, matching Perdita's tone. "I love that idea. It's a beautiful gift to offer, and I would love to commission you to do exactly that and help you where I can." Knowledge was essential to Elisabeth, and she keenly wanted to give something back to the settlement. A living story, Haven's story, as it occurred, was something she wouldn't have thought of but was so very glad Perdita had.

Resisting the urge to hug her, Elisabeth just beamed. It was such a lovely thing to suggest. Perdita was offering something of a lifeline to the mage amid Elisabeth's current state of confusion regarding how she had ended up in the middle of Scalvoris Town with no memories of the previous trials.

"When can we get started?" This time, it was a mischievous smile on Elisabeth's lips as she spoke, and there was a new excitement in her tone that hadn't been present before.

word count: 408
Perdita Westcott
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

A Tale of Love & Kippers
39th Ashan, 721

here was no hiding that Elisabeth liked the idea she had, and Perdita smiled in pleasure. "I'm glad," she said softly. "You like it." She thought then about what she could do and when. Perdita frowned and started to think about how to do it. "After my parents leave?" She looked at Elisabeth questioningly. She would want to make her way to Faldrass to see Haven - that would be important for the aesthetic, after all. The thought of travelling there with her parents was tricky in the extreme. She could just imagine it now, and she really didn't want to.

"If you don't mind," she spoke softly, quietly considering the best way to do this. "I could visit," she suggested with a slight smile, "see the place, sp...speak to people." That wasn't something which she liked doing, but she recognised that she needed to. "If you'd like that?" She could then take her time, go back and ask questions. Thinking about it, she could work it around her studies. So, she looked at Elisabeth with an expression of hopeful optimism as she considered it. The story of a settlement, in that way, would be a truly interesting thing to do.

"I want to make books for Immortals, one trial," she admitted. "A history of Faldrass for Saoire. Of Rharne, for Ilaren." She blushed and smiled rather wryly. "It's probably a dream," but there was something fundamentally true about her and that was that she fully believed the next words she spoke. "But maybe it's not." It could be a start, after all, to do this. Perdita's parents had just given her rather a lot of money, and she wanted to spend it wisely, after all. Maybe, she thought, the thing to do would to spend some time exploring Scalvoris, it's history and tales. She'd like that.

She wasn't sure that she'd answered Elisabeth fully - she couldn't commit to a date until her parents had left. But, absolutely, Perdita was more than happy to commit. She'd love to do it, in fact. And, of course, the next time she went to the library, she'd be looking at Faldrass history specifically. It paid to be prepared!
word count: 388
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”