Moderated Mystery in the University

23rd of Cylus 721

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Rickith Lanza
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Apprentice Alchemist
Renown: 20
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Mystery in the University

Timestamp: 23rd of Cylus, The Rebirth Cycle, Arc 721
"Late one evening while in the library, Rickith hears a strange scratching noise and the sound of someone removing books from the shelves. A fellow student? The scratching - no ripping? - continues, and before he can investigate, the noise stops. From behind the bookcase a beautiful woman with green eyes emerges. Putting a finger to her lips like a shared secret, she smiles and walks confidently and unbothered towards the exit. In the upcoming trials, complaints about missing books and torn pages spread like wild fire across campus. Was it her? Will Rickith aid in the investigation or let the proper authorities handle it? After all, is any woman worth so much trouble?"
Rumors of torn pages, and missing books had been overheard by Rickith while walking through the halls of the University one day, and Rickith began to recall an event that seemed harmless at the time, but was potentially more nefarious than he originally thought. He had been getting out a few books on alchemy in the library one evening, and he heard what sounded like a racket, and tearing of pages, before a strange woman had appeared and signaled him with a single finger to her lips. Rickith wasn't sure what to make of it at the time, but he thought about it after hearing one of the students in the hallway talking about books that he was particularly looking for having gone missing a few weeks ago, and some even more recently. I wonder if that woman could be involved, he thought, and then began to make his way towards the library. Upon entering, he'd look for one of the librarians in order to convey to them what he had seen, and see if he could find out more about what has been happening.

Upon finding a librarian, Rickith would approach them, and motion to them that he wished to speak with them. Once he had their attention, he'd say, "I've heard of several rumors going around recently from other students that books have been missing. I was wondering if you had any insight as to why that might be happening. I had quite the strange experience a few dozen trials ago, where I had heard a bunch of racket with ripping pages, and the like before a strange green eyed woman appeared from behind a bookshelf, and signaled me to be quiet. I didn't think much of it at the time, and continued on with my business, but after hearing these rumors, I can't help but think that there was more to that event, that I just didn't see to begin with. If so, is there anyways, I may be able to help apprehend this woman. I'm sure if I saw her again i'd recognize her, she struck me as an odd bird..." After he stated that, he looked towards the librarian, in hopes of gaining some more and hopefully important insight as to what was happening within the library...
word count: 512
Tempest
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Events

Re: Mystery in the University

A Storm is Coming...

There was an eerie calm over the city of Viden as the darkness of Cylus had enveloped the city not long ago. Citizens had to carry some kind of lamp, torch, or candle with them in order to make it around to the different businesses. While the start of the cycle had been as “calm” as a usual rebirth cycle, there was something going on at the academy that had people on edge. From the students to the professors and deans, someone had found books with pages ripped out of them. As if the person who had done it was mad or trying to hide something. The library was in a frantic state as workers ran around trying to check every section.

They wanted to make sure that the person had not bothered the important books. If it was only what they were seeing, then perhaps most of the knowledge would be okay. The scientific books had been left alone. From what they could tell the restricted section for students of the academy were also untouched. Of course, the staff were not inclined to let the students check anything out of the section, or even take the books into a different section of the library. That could result in books going missing, or those not at the academy learning things they should not.

The young librarian looked over when Rickith walked up to the desk. Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves, the woman cleared her throat and smiled welcoming Rickith. After asking what she could help the man with, she was not expecting him to ask about the books. Of course, there was no way that the staff could have kept such a disturbing trend a secret. Looking at him, she waved to the side and moved so that they were away from the main bustle around the library.

“I’m afraid these rumors are true. I do not know who is doing this. But they are taking books that have old folk tales, stories supposedly based on true events, and some of the local flora. Such an odd array of titles. Though the flora is mostly flowers that have not been within the city since I was a little girl. Perhaps longer,” she said gently and looked over at the man, “a woman? Yes, it would be greatly appreciated if you were able to help capture her. The garrison has deployed guards, but she is still causing problems it seems. We cannot figure out how she is getting in here to the books. More are coming up damaged, but not to the extent as when it first began. Oh, excuse me I must return to the desk. But if someone asks you can let me know that Mixie asked for your help. They shouldn’t give you any trouble after that.”

Mixie had seen a young mother carrying her child approach the desk needing assistance. So, she took her leave of Rickith allowing him her name in case anyone asked why he was messing with the damaged books. Or while he was looking the in roped off area that still had pages on the floor.

word count: 532
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Viden”