Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Wind Walkers

Wind Walkers
Developed by Balthazar Black
Price: Tier 10
Habitat: While typically found in the more luscious and plant laden parts of Scalvoris like the Scaloth Jungle, wind walkers rarely spend their whole life in one place. They began migrating further around the island following the eruption of Faldrass in arc 720. A remarkable number seem to have migrated to and settled in the Scalvoris Mountains. Few know why the eruption sparked movement but some have theorized that the natural homes of the creatures were destroyed in the fallout and that they have been looking for a new one ever since. These creatures can thrive in most temperatures where a plentiful amount of food for them could be grown though they show a clear preference to the cold and a dislike of caves.
Lifespan and Development: Wind Walkers are born roughly the size of a small child and can grow to weigh several thousand pounds over a fluctuating period period of time. Unbonded, the wind walkers will grow to their full size over the course of three arcs. After the first few weeks of their lives the wind walkers develop the ability to levitate off the ground and as they grow, so do does their capacity to fly. Young wind walkers find it difficult to maintain a height above a standard treeline but a full grown wind walker could carry up to five people above the clouds.

These creatures possess the ability to form a deep bond with another creature and most do after birth. This bond ties the lifespan and development of the wind walker to their chosen. If they bond with a child, they grow and develop along with the child, reaching their prime with the individual they bonded to. However if they were to bond with an older individual they would grow at an accelerated rate to match the development of their bond-mate over the course of an arc. The full lifespan of this species is unclear but most tend to fall ill following the death of their bond-mate and without proper care (typically provided by their bond-mate) they tend to die shortly after. Without a bond, a wind walker can live for up to a hundred arcs before succumbing to old age.

Wind Walkers almost always from a bond with a sentient race, however some have been known to bond with each other. However these wind walkers display very different temperaments from the rest of their kind.
Diet: Wind walkers are herbivores with five stomachs and flat teeth that allow them to consume almost any plant they can get their mouths on. As they increase in size, so too does their need for food increase. Most wind walkers can survive off a steady supply of hay but some believe feeding them specific fruits and vegetables will help them grow stronger.
Temperament: Wind walkers are fairly docile creatures who do not seek out violence or chaos and would more often than not prefer to run from a fight than engage in one, however they would never abandon their bond-mate. They are not naturally trusting creatures so they will flee from most who approach them hazardously in the wild but those who take care will find the wind walkers a friendly breed. That said, there is a difference between friendly and immediately willing to bond with you. While younger wind walkers will bond fairly easily to people, older wind walkers are much less trusting. Additionally, wind walkers who are bonded to other creatures will express a more territorial and aggressive nature in the presence of their bond-mate which, purely due to their size, can be dangerous.

Abilities: The only real remarkable ability possessed by the wind walkers is the one that gave them their name, flight. From a young age these creatures are capable of a limited form of levitation that develops into complete flight as they reach maturity. This flight is not the agile and precise flight of a hawk but instead a slower and more relaxing flight, like that of a fish moving through the water making wind walkers poor choices to maneuver through narrow spaces. Additionally while they do not possess claws or sharp teeth, the wind walkers do have thick hides and strong bones that are resistant to basic weapons and they grow to be so massive in size that their weight, in addition to their flat but flexible tails, make them dangerous creatures to hunt.
Weaknesses:
Fast Facts Skill Levels Required
Knowing It
-- Scalvoris: Expert
-- Idalos: Master
Wealth Tier
-- Scalvoris: Tier 8
-- Idalos: Tier 10
Sell/Buy It
-- Scalvoris: Tier 10 (living), Tier 8 (Pieces)
Rarity
-- Scalvoris: Incredibly Uncommon
-- Idalos: Extremely Rare
Finding It
Collecting It
Using It
-- Personal travel
-- Small party travel
-- Beast of burden
-- Some sick person said they taste good.
-- Great cuddle buddy.
Killing It
-- Expert in related combat skills.
Capturing It
-- Expert in related trapping skills.
Danger
-- Low danger if you approach them peacefully and without weapons. High danger if you corner them with weapons and they can't escape.
Tending It
-- A lot of hay will be needed.
word count: 863

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Re: Wind Walkers

Feedback
Feedback
Interesting piece of dev and I'm happy (ish) with the basic idea. However -a couple of questions / comments / sticking points for me.

1. Cost.
I don't think these would be for sale / available. Especially since they have to bond.

2. Bonding.
If they bond with sentient people - how do they survive? I'm just really not clear on how this would work in practice?

3. Size.
Because of the size of these things, how have they eaten? How do they eat in the wild? How are there any farms surviving and Scalvoris being able to feed people with these things? I've rejected stuff before that's that big - I'm sorry it's just not sustainable for there to be flocks of things this big eating their way across the island.

4. Abilities.
This thing is near to un killable for any farmer to protect their crops. They've got:
a) size
b) flight
c) thick hides and strong bones making resistant to basic weapons
And add in the amount of food they'll need - they're going to be taking over the island in the space of a month. Sorry, but they'll need significantly toning down in terms of that - while they're a nice idea, they need to make sense in the wider context.

TL;DR: No, you can't have a plague of 5-tonne large locusts eating their way through Scalv for a multi-person mound. Nope.

word count: 247
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alright, thanks for taking the time to look at this, I'll go through the issues one by one to address what I changed in the new write up down below / to answer questions and clarify.
1. Cost - So that works, I didn't intend for them to actually be for sale because I wanted them to be a very rare animal. I didn't know I could just say not for sale so I instead made them very expensive to try and indicate that there wouldn't be flocks of these creatures going around. I've altered the write up below to indicate that they are not for sale.
2. Bonding - I mention at the end of the Lifespan and Development section that they can bond to other Wind Walkers, the idea being that in the wild they would just bond to each other to live, however with the low number of them that would probably fast track their extinction so I'm shifting the bond out.
3. Size - I will further clarify their eating and why their size does not lead to them consuming the whole of vegetation on Scalvoris through elaboration on the five stomach digestive process.
4. Abilities - I didn't think of as unkillable for farmers trying to protect their crops because in my mind if a farmer ran out to stop them, the wind walker would have flown away but point taken and I'll include changes in the draft below. I cut the bit about the strong bones and thick hide, I really only put that in because I assumed it was just something their size would have to have not to break their legs as they walked but if the size itself is an ability then it's not necessary.

Wind Walkers
Price: Endangered Species, not for sale.
Habitat: While typically found in the more luscious and plant laden parts of Scalvoris like the Scaloth Jungle, wind walkers rarely spend their whole life in one place. They began migrating further around the island following the eruption of Faldrass in arc 720. A remarkable number, but only remarkable because it is rare to see more than one in a place at a time, seem to have migrated to and settled in the Scalvoris Mountains. Few know why the eruption sparked movement but some have theorized that the natural homes of the creatures were destroyed in the fallout and that they have been looking for a new one ever since. These creatures can thrive in most temperatures where a plentiful amount of food for them could be grown though they show a clear preference to the cold and a dislike of caves.
Lifespan and Development: Wind Walkers are born roughly the size of a small child and can grow to weigh several thousand pounds over three arcs until they reach their full size. While their size does not increase beyond the three years, the mind of the wind walker is always in development. As they age, wind walkers become more and more accustom to their surroundings. Wind Walkers in the wild will grow progressively more wild. While this does not make them violent, it makes them more difficult to approach. Wind Walkers raised in, or surrounded by, civilization will begin to seem to understand basic forms of non-verbal communication and some can even be trained to recognize specific words as triggers to act. They can grow to be remarkably intelligent animals.

After the first few weeks of their lives the wind walkers develop the ability to levitate off the ground and as they grow, so do does their capacity to fly. Young wind walkers find it difficult to maintain a height above a standard treeline but a full grown wind walker could carry up to five people above the clouds. Wind Walkers can live just a little longer than a hundred arcs if properly fed and cared for but due to their size and diet few in the wild survive that long.

There are few more adorable sights than a mother wind walker carrying her flightless child up to trees so it can eat leaves off the top of her head.
Diet: Wind walkers are herbivores with five stomachs and flat teeth that allow them to consume almost any plant they can get their mouths on. As they increase in size, so too does their need for food increase. Most wind walkers can survive off a steady supply of hay but some believe feeding them specific fruits and vegetables will help them grow stronger. The ability to fly seems to be an evolutionary trait developed by the wind walkers to allow them to graze off the tops of trees for food, consuming leaves as their primary food source that allows them to avoid interactions with sentient races and farms. If any, it is the younger, smaller wind walkers who would approach a farm and they would be easily driven off. The five stomachs of the Wind Walker allow for them to space out their feeding times over weeks, the first stomach holding the mass of consumed food and the other four slowly breaking it down over the digestive period, removing potential toxins and absorbing all the nutrients they can get. This allows wind walkers to live in relative hiding, only emerging from their shelters a few times a season to consume food.
Temperament: Wind walkers are fairly docile creatures who do not seek out violence or chaos and would more often than not prefer to run from a fight than engage in one. They are not naturally trusting creatures so they will flee from all they can who approach them with weapons (the wind walkers are intelligent enough to tell a quill apart from a dagger but not a farming tool apart from a weapon) in the wild but those who take care will find the wind walkers a friendly breed. That said, there is a difference between friendly and immediately willing to bond with you. While younger wind walkers will bond fairly easily to people, older wind walkers are much less trusting, typically having only had negative encounters with sentient over their time alive.

It is also worth noting that while a wind walker may be friendly to those that approach it peacefully, there is still a large difference between friendly and willing to be domesticated. Wind Walkers typically do not like small, restrictive spaces and will attempt to fly away if placed in one but they will not go on a rampage (unless their life is at risk) out of fear of hurting themselves in the destructive process.
Abilities: The only real remarkable ability possessed by the wind walkers is the one that gave them their name, flight. From a young age these creatures are capable of a limited form of levitation that develops into complete flight as they reach maturity. This flight is not the agile and precise flight of a hawk but instead a slower and more relaxing flight, like that of a fish moving through the water making wind walkers poor choices to maneuver through narrow spaces. Additionally while they do not possess claws or sharp teeth, the wind walkers grow to be so massive in size that their weight, in addition to their flat but flexible tails, make them dangerous creatures to hunt.
Weaknesses:
Knowing It
Wealth Tier
-- Scalvoris: Not for sale
-- Idalos: Not for sale
Sell/Buy It
-- Scalvoris: Tier 9 (Pieces), illegal to buy or sell.
Rarity
-- Scalvoris: Endangered
-- Idalos: Critically Endangered
Finding It
Collecting It
Using It
-- Personal travel
-- Small party travel
-- Beast of burden
-- Great cuddle buddy.
Killing It
-- Expert in related combat skills, you monster.
Capturing It
-- Expert in related trapping skills, you lesser monster.
Danger
-- Low danger if you approach them peacefully and without weapons. High danger if you corner them with weapons and they can't escape to the air or land in some direction.
Tending It
-- A lot of hay works
-- Plentiful trees would work
-- A few big bushes might even work for a younger one
word count: 1375

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Trouble
Prophet of Old
Profession: Developer
Renown: 12
Templates

Bonjour

Sorry to drop in uninvited like this. Am I right in saying that this is a development for a legendary mount you requested in the PSF a while ago?

I would love for something like a new legendary mount to be made available for players everywhere, rather than excusively for Scalvorans. Would either of you object to me moving this thread over to the Creating the World forum and allowing me to develop this in more detail over there?

word count: 80
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

No objections here!
word count: 3
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

No objections but a clarification, this is just a development for the creature itself, not the Legendary Mount. I'll be redoing that application once the base creature is created.
word count: 30

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Trouble
Prophet of Old
Templates

I didn't look at is so much as sentient races wanting them dead as the sentient races not being careful enough to protect the population. In my head, it was somewhat like how the bison was hunted to near extinction in the 19th century. If I had to create a full timeline for their evolution I'd imagine they started as a smaller race that evolved to grow larger, developed their flight to accommodate their growing appetites, grew bolder and started plaguing farms and were hunted as a result. The constant hunting would lead to them developing more fearful and flighty reactions to sentient races, resulting in their current temperament where they try to flee from any violence/ people with weapons or tools and their currently reduced race.

Also I see now that I somehow missed the weakness section in both drafts I did, my bad I really thought I did it the second time around. Draft three below will have it filled out unless my brain stops between here and the end of this post.

In the wording below I still have it written as if they have been mostly seen in Scalvoris because while it is/ would be a creature everyone can access, everything has to come from somewhere. They fly though so low odds they're isolated. I've updated the weakness section below now so we can look at it again and work on the next issue from there.
Wind Walkers
Price: Endangered Species, not for sale.
Habitat: While typically found in the more luscious and plant laden parts of Scalvoris like the Scaloth Jungle, wind walkers rarely spend their whole life in one place. They began migrating further around the island following the eruption of Faldrass in arc 720. A remarkable number, but only remarkable because it is rare to see more than one in a place at a time, seem to have migrated to and settled in the Scalvoris Mountains. Few know why the eruption sparked movement but some have theorized that the natural homes of the creatures were destroyed in the fallout and that they have been looking for a new one ever since. These creatures can thrive in most temperatures where a plentiful amount of food for them could be grown though they show a clear preference to the cold and a dislike of caves.
Lifespan and Development: Wind Walkers are born roughly the size of a small child and can grow to weigh several thousand pounds over three arcs until they reach their full size. While their size does not increase beyond the three years, the mind of the wind walker is always in development. As they age, wind walkers become more and more accustom to their surroundings. Wind Walkers in the wild will grow progressively more wild. While this does not make them violent, it makes them more difficult to approach. Wind Walkers raised in, or surrounded by, civilization will begin to seem to understand basic forms of non-verbal communication and some can even be trained to recognize specific words as triggers to act. They can grow to be remarkably intelligent animals.

After the first few weeks of their lives the wind walkers develop the ability to levitate off the ground and as they grow, so do does their capacity to fly. Young wind walkers find it difficult to maintain a height above a standard treeline but a full grown wind walker could carry up to five people above the clouds. Wind Walkers can live just a little longer than a hundred arcs if properly fed and cared for but due to their size and diet few in the wild survive that long. There are few more adorable sights than a mother wind walker carrying her flightless child up to trees so it can eat leaves off the top of her head.
Diet: Wind walkers are herbivores with five stomachs and flat teeth that allow them to consume almost any plant they can get their mouths on. As they increase in size, so too does their need for food increase. Most wind walkers can survive off a steady supply of hay but some believe feeding them specific fruits and vegetables will help them grow stronger. The ability to fly seems to be an evolutionary trait developed by the wind walkers to allow them to escape predators on the ground and graze off the tops of trees for food, consuming leaves as their primary food source that allows them to avoid interactions with sentient races and farms. If any, it is the younger, smaller wind walkers who would approach a farm and they would be easily driven off. The five stomachs of the Wind Walker allow for them to space out their feeding times over weeks, the first stomach holding the mass of consumed food and the other four slowly breaking it down over the digestive period, removing potential toxins and absorbing all the nutrients they can get. This allows wind walkers to live in relative hiding, only emerging from their shelters a few times a season to consume food.
Temperament: Wind walkers are fairly docile creatures who do not seek out violence or chaos and would more often than not prefer to run from a fight than engage in one. They are not naturally trusting creatures so they will flee from all they can who approach them with weapons (the wind walkers are intelligent enough to tell a quill apart from a dagger but not a farming tool apart from a weapon) in the wild but those who take care will find the wind walkers a friendly breed. It is also worth noting that while a wind walker may be friendly to those that approach it peacefully, there is still a large difference between friendly and willing to be domesticated. Wind Walkers typically do not like small, restrictive spaces and will attempt to fly away if placed in one but they will not go on a rampage unless their life is at risk out of fear of hurting themselves in the destructive process.
Abilities: The only real remarkable ability possessed by the wind walkers is the one that gave them their name, flight. From a young age these creatures are capable of a limited form of levitation that develops into complete flight as they reach maturity. This flight is not the agile and precise flight of a hawk but instead a slower and more relaxing flight, like that of a fish moving through the water making wind walkers poor choices to maneuver through narrow spaces. Additionally while they do not possess claws or sharp teeth, the wind walkers grow to be so massive in size that their weight, in addition to their flat but flexible tails, make them dangerous creatures to hunt.
Weaknesses: While the five stomachs of the wind walkers allow them to space out their feedings over long periods of time, wind walkers operate very much like people- the more work they do, the more food they need to consume. So while the large size of the wind walker makes them seem like an idea beast of burden, their appetite would make it impossible for a standard farm to provide for and train multiple of these creatures. Additionally breeding wind walkers is a nearly impossible task without a master of their craft and a bountiful amount of food because pregnant females of the species display unusually aggressive temperaments and appetites nearly twice as large as a standard creature of their kind. Additionally the baby develops inside the mother over a period of 180 trials making the breeding period far longer and more costly than most breeders are willing to put up with.

It is also worth noting that wind walkers are not born with the ability to fly and as a result they spend their early development at greater risk to land-based predators. A wind walker calf that is separated from its flying mother is likely to starve to death, unable to forage for enough food in the wind without the ability to fly.
Knowing It
Wealth Tier
-- Scalvoris: Not for sale
-- Idalos: Not for sale
Sell/Buy It
-- Scalvoris: Tier 9 (Pieces), illegal to buy or sell.
Rarity
-- Scalvoris: Endangered
-- Idalos: Critically Endangered
Finding It
Collecting It
Using It
-- Personal travel
-- Small party travel
-- Beast of burden
-- Great cuddle buddy.
Killing It
-- Expert in related combat skills, you monster.
Capturing It
-- Expert in related trapping skills, you lesser monster.
Danger
-- Low danger if you approach them peacefully and without weapons. High danger if you corner them with weapons and they can't escape to the air or land in some direction.
Tending It
-- A lot of hay works
-- Plentiful trees would work
-- A few big bushes might even work for a younger one
word count: 1497
Trouble
Prophet of Old
Templates

Excellent! The weaknesses section really completes this work.

I'm happy to approve this once one final little point is cleared up. I believe this mount should be worth 400 points to buy from the point bank. Any objections?
word count: 39
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Not from me!
word count: 3

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Basilisk Snek
Developer - Staff (TL)
Developer - Staff (TL)
Renown: 10
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Staff

Events

Hold
So, to start with, I don't want to say anything against Trouble for this, and no one is actually in any trouble here. But there's two issues with this animal that slipped through.

First, while carrier-class animals, such as the Flutterbus do exist, we don't treat them as mounts. A mount, for our classifications, would only carry one or two people. This is just too big for a mount. Sorry.

Second, Scalvoris is an island, and therefore not very big. Frankly, the island couldn't support a population of these things. They'd pretty much have to be from the mainland.

Like I said, no one is in trouble, but there are some issues that need to be handled before this can be approved as either an animal or a mount.
word count: 136
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “CtW - Approved, needs Wiki'd”