• Location • The Academy Registry

Post here if you are studying at the Viden Academy

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Race: Eídisi
Profession: Researcher/Student
Renown: 154
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Re: The Academy Registry

18th Trial of Vhalar, 718
Following on from: Six Steps Ahead

It had not been long since Virikai was last here. The Talius scion was coming through the doors of the Registry more and more, now that he was racing through his qualifications in Medicine. It filled him with a certain amount of pride to do so, and here he was, seeking a second qualification. This wasn't one he wanted: Virikai would have been more than happy to spend his life as a physician and medical researcher. Yet he had duties, and his father often dictated those duties.

The man had told him a number of trials ago of his desire that Virikai should undertake a second degree. He was in no particular rush to complete it, but he would work at it nonetheless. If, at the very least, he could complete his diploma, that would be enough for him, though probably not enough for his father. Either way, the choice was out of his hands.

Handing over the registration document to the registrar, which he now felt he was close to having a personal relationship with, after all the times he strolled up to the desk, the lordling even smiled. It was brief, but it was there, before he departed.
The Academy Student Registry

PC Name: Virikai Talius
Age, Race & Gender: 31, Eídisi, Male
Institute: Institute of Humanities
Subject: Politics in Formal Politics and Policy
Level: Diploma
Part-Time Work: Assistant Politician (FRA Researcher/Liaison), Physician, Researcher, Student of Medicine
Additional Comments: Took (and paid for) entrance exams for Letter and Certificate in Politics
 ! Message from: Banshee
Added to your Prophets' Notes!
word count: 274
Seren Fahe
Approved Character
Race: Eídisi
Renown: 25
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Trial 1 of Vhalar, Arc 718

A part-time job under her belt, Seren made her way to the academy. The next step n her journey to recover from the grief of her father's death was to go back to school and continue her education. She walked through the doors of the familiar building. She had been to the academy plenty of time with both of her parents and sometimes without. The same registrar sat behind the front desk, organizing and filing as usual. Only, he was much older.

Seren approached the older man. "Mr. Gilson. A pleasure to see you again. I would like to register myself into the Institute of Science, please." Seren smiled at the man and he returned a slight grin.

"Yes, Lady Fahe, it has been some time. Here you are. Complete this form and return it when you are done." The registrar handed Seren a paper. Taking the form and a pen, Seren began to fill in the form. She would be applying to study medicine as her father did. After filling out the information listed on the form and double-checking for errors, she handed it to the man. "Thank you. Have a nice day, Mr. Gilson," Seren said as she exited the building.

PC Name: Seren Fahe
Age, Race & Gender: 28, Eidisi, Female
Institute: Science
Subject: Medicine
Level: Letter
Part Time Work: Medical Assistant at infirmary
Additional Comments: N/A
word count: 243
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Ignoble Thanatologist
Renown: 300
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

35th of Ymiden 719

"... Your record, Mister Malach, is something troubling indeed." The registrar let out a slow sigh, fingertips interlacing upon the top of the desk. "In the course of two seasons, you've managed to be a key figure in a murder case and a disappearance. While the court has found you innocent, and a mere victim, you must understand the strange position that puts the Academy in, correct?"

The student's lips knitted to the side. Their application was written out in plain Common and spread out between the two. The soft clicking of their boot's heel could be heard, lightly echoing, as their leg refused to rest. They knew this subject would come up sooner or later. They simply took a soft breath... And dipped their head, slowly.

"You have a few glowing recommendations from some of the professors here, as well as a dearly departed alumni. ... Are you certain that you want to go through with this, now?" The Registrar's voice simply asked of them. Sybil was, in a small way, somewhat of a controversial figure, "You've barely recovered from your disappearance. Let alone the assault on the caravan."

A long pause was had between the two, as the Registrar stared into Sybil.

He was right.

The student's lips part, as their eyes finally turn towards the man, their head raising from the downward, submissive gesture, "I... Understand. But this is why I am petitioning to begin with my Letter. To prove that I am ready to move on. Just..." They bite down on their lower lip. They were hardly nervous, but... They just didn't know what to say. The moment of silence reigned between the two. It was a simple submission process. One that had turned into a mild interview.

"I'm certain. I wouldn't be Videnese, if I allowed hardship to get in the way of my future." ... Sybil relied on their tried and true rhetoric. "... Is there anything else needed for my registration?"

Paperwork. It wasn't Sybil's greatest strength, but it at least was a good means of misdirection.

PC Name: Sybil Malach
Age, Race & Gender: 21, Human, M
Institute: (e.g. Science) Science
Subject: (e.g. Medicine) Medicine
Level: (e.g. Certificate) Letter
Part Time Work: Odd jobs.
Additional Comments:
This is a purposeful undershoot of Sybil's abilities. While they are driven by motivation to see their grandfather's wishes through, Sybil is taking a longer route down the road of becoming a doctor. Mainly due to the fact that their mind can't currently take the strain of anything higher than that.
word count: 445
"No mass graves."

-Vri 720, scolding Sybil for disposing of necromancers.

NPCs: Karlsson, Margaret
Kisaik
Approved Character
Race: Tunawa
Profession: Protagonist
Renown: 780
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

1st of Saun 719

Kisaik might've drawn a few eyes, as he stilted his way on his disproportionately grown legs over toward the Academy. He'd only just arrived in the city, and wished to enroll without delay in courses related to one of his main passions, Alchemy. It was the very basis of magic and arcana in the world, at least in his eyes, and he wasn't going to let the practice stay on the shelf too long before he put aside his knight's visor, and donned the cap of the wizard and academic, so he could pursue it once more.

Thus, as he arrived at the office of the Registry, which was awash in blue light. Much like the rest of the city, the architecture appeared to have a good deal of ice incorporated into its design. Idly Kisaik wondered if alchemy had any role in maintaining that ice with the warmth emanating from the indoors of those buildings.

However that question could wait. For now, his attention was fully on J. Gilson, Registrar. He was an elder human, as evidenced by his white hair. The Tunawa hadn't seen too many older humans in his day, especially in his time in Yaralon. Most humans didn't live a long life in the city of mercenaries. But here was one, wrinkled like a raisin, although the Tunawa knew better than to make such a comment aloud.

He smiled up at the Registrar, and from his elongated, stilted legs, climbed up onto the desk so he could talk more comfortably. Then he willed his legs to shorten from two and a half feet, to the ordinary 3 or so inches. He doffed his cap to the Registrar, "I'm here to sign up for a letter in alchemy!" He exclaimed. "Hopefully my husband will be by soon to register for Medical courses. Or whatever it is he wishes to learn. He's due to arrive in just a few tentrials, I believe. After which, we'll probably be sharing the same dormitory, if that suits the Registrar?"

Kisaik nodded, as much to the Registrar as to himself, and began filling out the appropriate forms.

PC Name: Kisaik
Age, Race & Gender: 19, Tunawa male
Subject: Alchemy
Part Time Work: Gardening in the Greenhouses
Additional Comments: I'm excited to be here!
word count: 402
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

24 Vhalar, Arc 719

Llyr Llywelyn had spent the last few trials exploring the Academy of Viden. He found his way to the Registry... for the seventh time, or perhaps it was the ninth, he'd lost count... and he lingered near the door. He observed the various students, parents, staff, and visitors that went in and out of the room. Though he looked closely, he didn't see many people who looked like him. That was, he didn't identify any mages. Everyone looked ordinary, even with how many Eidisi there were. Many of the passersby glanced at him with curious unease. There were far less glares, scoffs, and backhanded whispers, than he got when he loitered on the Etzori Academy campus.

The season had only just began, he supposed there was still time to register if he wanted to. Llyr felt nervous though. He'd never gone to a school of any kind. It was entirely new to him, and though he felt the encouragement of his spark to surpass this unexplored boundary, he couldn't help but feel like he didn't belong. The other students and teachers would be able to recognize that he didn't have any academic training, he was sure of it, no matter how simple the exams to test his progress had actually been. Despite the practical logic of this, Llyr felt that his lack of a properly structured education stood out as much as the wings on his back or the halo above his head. Like it could be seen by a mere curious glance.

Llyr exhaled lowly, then finally felt enough frustration at himself to enter the Register's Office... for a third time. This time, he got farther than the last... all the way to the desk! Without even ambling around and pretending to look at the paintings or framed certificates on the walls.

Or, at least, he was going to get to the desk. Until he noticed someone was already there. That meant he had to wait. Llyr veered, as if he'd meant to, and sat down on the nearest chair. He folded his hands in his lap, then smoothed out his black trousers. After a little bit, he heard the clearing of a throat from the Registrar and looked to see him being gestured at.

J. Gilson recognized the mage from the other few fleeting visits. He peered past his spectacles, and asked, "What task may I assist you with today?"

"Yes, I... uh..." Llyr stood in front of the desk. He tapped his fingers against the surface, then said, "I'd like to enroll? Oh! I have..."

He reached to his satchel and hurriedly pulled out a couple envelopes. Llyr set them on the desk. "Recommendations. For my entrance, and... paperwork?" Llyr took out the appropriate registration paperwork, delicately filled out as he'd gone over it again and again.

Off Topic

PC Name: Llyr Llywelyn
Registered Name: West Wellin
Age, Race & Gender: 19, Biqaj, Male.
Institute: Arcana
Subject: Ether
Level: Diploma
Part Time Work: Occasional Research Assistance.
Additional Comments: Llyr has been approved to start at Diploma level due to having 250 Transmutation (58k), 140 Becoming (53k), 35 Attunement (17k) and 35 Ether-specific Knowledge. The fees for the Letter and Certificate exam will be paid by his patron. Llyr registered under a false name, discussed with Dean Verin Rush from the Institute of Arcana, to be used for his academic paperwork.
Entrance exams, meeting with Dean Rush, and recommendation detailed here.
word count: 591
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

4th Vhalar, 719
Faith Augustin had arrived here via the Eclipse Portal and she was pleased for that. Viden wasn't home, but she had always known that when she completed the final part of her Licentiate - the highest qualification there was - then she would do it here. Because Viden was the most prestigious and there would be no questions by anyone about the level of her learning. She had everything to do, after all, she was the Chancellor of the new Rharne Institute of Innovation. She wasn't messing around, it was going to be a success.

If she was honest, Faith didn't really want to be here - there were too many people who knew her and she wanted to hide. But equally, she was more than ready to get herself back to normal. So, she arrived and signed in to reception. As a guest lecturer, and a staff member of Scalvoris University, she was able to access the staff areas, which she did immediately. They'd offered her an office, which she'd accepted for the duration of her visit, but Faith was happy to work in the library. It was quiet there and it reminded her of Yvithia's library - a place where she felt at home, where it was peaceful.

So, she signed in and she picked up her timetable for the ten-trial, smiled and thanked the receptionist. While she was here, Faith had decided, she was going to have a look at maybe starting a second set of qualifications. Logistics, business management, that sort of thing. But for now, she put it to one side. She didn't need to think about it for a moment. She'd speak to a colleague or two and go from there.

PC Name: Faith
Age, Race & Gender: 20, Human, Female
Institute: ]Science
Subject: Medicine
Level: Licentiate
Part Time Work: Faith will be doing some guest lectures here while she's here. This will be a Wealth Thread for her.
Additional Comments: While in VIden, Faith will be doing some guest lectures (eg: here) she will be presenting her final thesis to the Science faculty here (her final learning thread) and will be having a modded thread to finish her Licentiate. She might also start a new qualification, but more likely that she'll do that next season. Thanks :)
 ! Message from: Tempest
It is a great honor to have you with us, Mrs Augustine. Please let me know if I can help you
word count: 420
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Cylus 1, Arc 720

The Mortalborn arrived at the Academy Registry early, in order to avoid the worst of the crowds. He had little interest in waiting in line for half a break or more, staring at someone’s back while he shuffled along with a speed that was slower than a snail’s. He was not a masochist. As it was, only a few students, some of whom were accompanied by their parents, as well as a few professors were gathered in the room, doing whatever they had come for. He briefly nodded at the people that he recognized before he approached the desk.

There was only one person in front of him, an older woman who inquired about her son’s progress – only to be informed that the young man hadn’t been at the Academy in over a season. Apparently, the Mortalborn thought with a hint of amusement, the boy had lied to his poor mother. He glanced at the woman to see if she needed medical help after that shocking revelation. She didn’t; in fact, finding out what her son had not been up to seemed to have filled her with new energy. She nearly raced out of the building, probably in order to have a serious word with her offspring.

When Gilson addressed him, the alchemist who was dressed in a fine suit, as was his habit, inclined his head before he spoke, “Good trial, Mister Gilson. I recently completed my Charter and would like to sign up for a Licentiate in alchemy now. Ocraloch approved the topic of my thesis.” As he heard that, Gilson looked at him questioningly. The Mortalborn only smiled lightly and put a finger on his lips though; for the time being, the nature of his research would be a secret. He wanted to conduct a few more experiments before he went public with what seemed to be the discovery of a new field of Blood Magic.

Gilson looked somewhat disappointed; he handed him the form that he needed nevertheless though.

PC Name: Doran
Age, Race & Gender: 394, Mortalborn, Male
Institute: Sciences
Subject: Alchemy
Level: Licentiate
Part Time Work: Associate Professor (Alchemy)
Additional Comments: Doran's being a Mortalborn is not public knowledge (yet). He will pretend to be a human of approximately thirty arcs of age.
Welcome back to the academy Doran! It will be great to see how your thesis progresses
word count: 411

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Renown: 830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

1 Cylus, Arc 720

Llyr Llywelyn - known as West Wellin among the Academy - hovered near the Registry without being seen. He had been headed to the office early, but as soon as he'd seen a familiar alchemist, he quickly cloaked himself from visual perception. It wasn't that he was avoiding the other mortalborn, he simply hadn't intended to converse. The only reason he was here, was to register for the next stage in his academic pursuits and so he could continue his access to the third floor of the university's library. So, he lingered in wait, while he slipped through the open door when someone else left the office. He went to the edge and stayed out of the way while he observed.

Eventually, the few students (and more importantly, the handsome professor) departed the office and left it a bit more quiet before the next rush of students. Llyr uncloaked himself, with ease of the concealment magic simply dissipating. An older woman glanced over, and raised her eyebrow, at the sudden appearance of the young biqaj. He fixed his tightly-tailored attire, then approached the desk and then Mister Gilson.

"Morning," he greeted and he adjusted the opaque leather gloves over his hands. "I require the form to apply for my Charter, as well as the confirmation paperwork for my diploma."

Form handed over, he filled it out with swift ease right then and there. Within mere bits, he handed it back over and offered a thin smile while he settled the other paperwork in the interior of his jacket. Llyr turned on heel, then walked out of the office to quickly handle his other business in the city of Viden.

Off Topic

PC Name: Llyr Llywelyn
Registered Name: West Wellin
Age, Race & Gender: 20, Biqaj, Male.
Subject: Ether
Level: Charter
Part Time Work: Occasional Research Assistance.
Additional Comments: Pending completion of a thread (but mod-approved to assume in the meantime), Llyr is also marked by Yvithia. His being a mortalborn is not public knowledge.

Welcome to the academy, Llry. I am intrigued to see how your studies into ether goes! Please let me know if I can help you
word count: 374
Sintih
Race: Yludih
Profession: Student
Renown: 110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

1st of Ymiden, 720th Arc
Late morning
The Viden Academy Registry

Despite the fact that the rest of the world enjoyed a temperature increase around this time of the Arc, Viden seemed content to remain frozen throughout the Arc. Trudging through the snow, covered from head to toe in tick furs, the young human made his way up to the Viden Academy. It wasn't the first time he'd been here since he'd been discharged from the infirmary. Not ten trials ago, he'd gone down this exact same route, trudging through the exact same snow to get to the Academy. But he'd hesitated. With so few trials left on the cycle, why would he start now. He could just wait and begin at the start of the next cycle instead. It would give him some more time to recover and acclimatize some more to the local weather. All good ideas for not doing what he was planning on doing. So he'd stopped, he'd hesitate for a few trills and he'd turned around and gone back home.

This trial would not be that trial. Sintih continued to trudge his way up, passing the point he'd stopped at the last time but didn't stop. He wasn't even really aware of where he was, he simply made his way up, his feet carrying him forward. He was vaguely aware of the fact that there were other people around him but aside from the minor effort it took to sidestep them and prevent collisions, he didn't spare any more energy on them. All he saw was simply white, broken up occasionally by a wood or mud brown as he made his way to the academy.

As he made his way into the building, he became vaguely aware of someone calling his attention. Something about dragging mud all over the floor. He didn't respond and took a right turn, heading for the registry office. The place was mostly empty but even now a few of the chairs were taken. Sin sat himself down on one of the many remaining chairs and waited for his turn, staring at the floor in front of his boots. Occasionally, he focused on the thinned trail of mud that had followed him to his seat but then his mind wandered off once more, looking for something more interesting to occupy itself with. Once three pairs of boots had passed him by on their way out, the Yludih stood up from his place and walked over to the desk, no longer dragging mud through the office.

The registrar looked up at him, empty, white eyes sizing him up. Dull, green ones looked back, staring right through the man. Sin brought his hands up and, within the square space formed between his chin, shoulders and stomach he let them flow with the ease and grace of someone who'd spent their whole life conversing like this. "Enroll me. Can?" He watched as the registrar looked at him sign and then shoved a piece of paper with a quill in front of him. Sin sighed audible, which got him a stern look over the half-moon spectacles the man was wearing. Taking the quill in hand, Sin started writing. "I'd like to sign up for the academy. Can I do that here?" He put the quill aside and turned the paper upside down so it could be read. "This is the Academy's registry office. Please fill in these documents and pay for the cycle." The man said as he shoved a different piece of paper in front of Sintih.

Dipping the quill in ink once more, Sin set it to paper. Name? Ronan Dugal. Human, 30 arcs old. Institute of Arcana, Rupturing and Graft, both letters. His writing was just legible enough to pass as letters. He set the quill aside and pushed the paper back at the registrar before promptly pulling a money pouch out of his coat's pockets. As he set it down on the table it shifted from the unstable pile of coins within and a bunch of copper, silver and gold nels came clattering out of the pouch onto the desk. Coincidentally, the pouch contained the exact amount of money needed to pay for an entire cycle of education and accommodation. Having completed his business, Sin turned around and headed out of the office, vaguely aware of the man behind the desk complaining to him about loose change.

As he walked back outside, he pulled his hood tighter around his head and stepped back into the melting snow.

PC Name: Sintih
Age, Race & Gender: 30, Yludih (Human, Eidisi forms) & Male
Subject: Rupturing and Graft
Level: Letters, both
Part Time Work: None
Additional Comments: IC, Sintih signed up as Ronan Dugal, the 30 arc old Human. I'm just putting the OOC information here.
word count: 825
Zemos
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Creep
Renown: 160
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Featured

Milestones

Miscellaneous

14th of Ymiden 720

Zemos was fresh out of prison, and couldn't find his old master anywhere when he got out. He looked in all the usual places, the Devil's Advocate, various taverns, and even approached the University itself. He got as far as the reception hall, when he was stopped by the voice of a man standing behind a desk. Zemos was lost in reverie, when he lifted his head. He stared across at the man, his eyes glazed over but a few moments.

Say something? The egg urged him. Then he awoke to the moment in front of him, "Greeting! I need to find Malach. I need into University?"

"Do you have the nel to enroll, sir?" The stiff man behind the desk asked, his tone mired in the boredom toward many such fools travelling through the wards.

Nel... Nel... You have those bronze shiny things they gave you in the prison on release... Zemos's face lit up, and he reached into his threadbare purse for a few coins. These he handed over readily to the man, so intent was the Sev'ryn on entering. "I go in now?"

He pushed forward several papers, which Zemos had a look over, and then, "You sign here now, and then go in."

Thus instructed, and pushed to sign a parchment, Zemos did as he was asked, and then entered the University, apparently he was a student now, just like his old master!

PC Name: Zemos
Age, Race & Gender: 27 Sev'ryn male
Subject: Poisons/Toxicology
Part Time Work: Assisting in the toxicology lab.
Additional Comments; 1 wp deducted for a letter in Poisons.
Last edited by Zemos on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 284

Identity

Nzi'Fuma is going by the name Zemos until further notice

Marks

Yithnai: Nzi'Fuma has glowing green eyes.
Witchmarks and Mutations:
  • Dread Warpaint: Zemos' upper face has a darkened discoloration, like sticky tar to the touch. It resembles warpaint.
  • Flies and other insects tend to crawl over his body intermittently. Sometimes a maggot can be seen crawling over his skin.
  • He has a slight slowness to his speech, as if he struggles to keep his tongue low in his mandible.

Text Code

Yithnain Suggestions
Dialogue
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Viden”