[Saoire Event 720] Balthazar and Norin

25th of Zi'da 720

Saoire's Realm. A place where worlds collide and dreams become reality.
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

[Saoire Event 720] Balthazar and Norin

25th Trial of Zi'da in Arc 720

"It's time," Saoire said, looking at the small individual with her. They had been preparing for this for a long time - earlier, Saoire had been with them all, the group of her closest, and they had put together the final preparations. The night before, in her workshop, Saoire had told them how tonight they would travel all across Idalos bringing small gifts and good cheer. Children throughout the land had awoken this morning to find trinkets and tchotchkes, gifts given which brought smiles to young faces.

That had been last night. This trial, though, they were bringing together people who Saoire had selected. Individuals who were prepared to give to another - who had taken her prompting, in dreams and visions, and had moved forward - acted - to prepare a gift. And, for the first time, her children would be there when the gifts were exchanged. It was a privilege, and they all knew it. To be there, to witness the giving of a gift by a kind soul.

This was one such soul.

The magic which Saoire wove was more complex, more nuanced than many could understand. Indeed, it would seem that perhaps she had roped Ralaith in to this event - or maybe this was part of her own purview. It wasn't clear, but what was obvious was that these events took place in the literal blink of an eye. Balthazar was going about their daily business, as was Norin when they heard the gentle tinkling of a bell. As their ears heard the sound, not yet sure whether it was indeed a bell or in fact the tinkling laughter of a sprite or fairy, they were suddenly somewhere else.

Balthazar and Norin found themselves standing at the side of a river. The ground on which they stood was snow-covered, but they did not feel at all cold. In their hands, they held warm mugs of hot drinks. Standing with them was a woman, wearing a beautiful crown of pine cones, glitter, and many small and intricate baubles. She wore a dress made, it seemed, from glittering leaves of vivid green and even her hair shimmered with glitter. She smiled at the two of them.

"I bid you welcome!" They knew who she was, somehow, even before she spoke the next words, "I am Saoire, and this is my very dear friend.". She gestured to a tiny individual, maybe two foot tall, who had whiskers, round ears and a long tail who stepped out from behind Saoire.

"Balthazar and Norin, it is my pleasure to meet you. I bid you fair greetings and wish you all the joy of Saoire's Gift", said the small individual. Looking around with wide eyes, the small bipedal mouse considered that he wanted - one trial soon - to swim in the river. It would be cold, but fun!

"We are here," Saoire said, her voice gentle and bubbling with mirth and joy, "Because Balthazar has a gift for you Norin". She gestured around, as though the gift was nearby. Which, Balthazar would see, it was. "I will leave you, now, to give your gift, but Torma will stay with you, and when you are ready to go back to your lives, will facilitate that."

And, with the sound of a babbling brook, Saoire was gone. The small creature with them smiled.

Welcome to your Saoire Event 720 Thread!
This thread is for Balthazar to give a gift to Norin.
The thread is Face to Face and so will be eligible for both skill points and knowledge, as long as the usual review requirements are met. At the end of the thread, both pc's will be returned to where they were. Literally and exactly where they were. Feel free to start your posts with where you were and what you were doing.
You may play Torma as an NPC throughout this thread. If you ask specific questions, feel free to PM Peg or Munch, but largely the NPC will not be giving anything away.

When you have completed the thread, please post here to claim your medals!
word count: 692
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Saoire Event 720] Balthazar and Norin

25 Zi'da 720
The sound of cheers and merriment echoed throughout the Copper Prince as one of the best fighters in their little club celebrated his triumphant return to the pit. He'd spent most of Zi'da making his way around the city to get his affairs in order. So much time that he'd almost forgotten the season he found himself in. He had been given a message in a dream and for the longest time he thought it was nothing more than that, a dream. However as he came closer and closer to Zi'da he began seeing things around him that he thought would make the perfect gift. Swords first, then other blades, whips, shields, armor... he saw every manner of weapon and defense as a more suitable gift than the one he decided would serve his recipient best.

The day came, the gift was prepared. He did not wrap it delicately. He did not even have it with him. He did not think about such traditions when he decided what it was he would give away. Knowledge. Knowledge was power and knowledge gave you the means to create. Alchemy had been a topic of fascination for Balthazar for a long while now but not every tool was worth holding onto forever. If he could gift the knowledge he had to another so that they might use it in a way he had not, he would. But he had not been thinking about his gift when he decided to go to the Copper Prince and as a result when Saoire pulled him from where he was, the mage looked quite strange.

He was about to throw a punch when suddenly he found himself standing on the edge of a river with snow blanketing the ground beside him. He was shirtless, his many scars and the etheric cracks on his chest were in full display. There was blood on him but it was not his blood and his hair was pulled back into a bun. He held a cup of something warm in his hands now that he had not had a few moments before. He eye'd the liquid suspiciously but a moment later those surrounding him took his attention. A woman in a pinecone crown and a dress of glittering leaves. Saoire. He knew the name before she'd said it but he didn't know how. His eyes were guided to her small, furry companion who seemed a kind spirit. "Pleasure to meet you, Torma." He only noticed Norin a moment after the furry one had spoken when Saoire said that Balthazar had a gift to give.

A gift? The gift! He turned his head and found the gift sitting in the snow a few feet from them. In a mild panic Balthazar moved over and picked up the set from the ground, holding them in his arms before turning to Norin. "I am, among other things, an alchemist. These books have helped me learn and improve my knowledge of alchemy and by extension other sciences. I... understood, that you liked reading and I thought these would provide you with something to really consider and experiment with. Alchemy is a pathway to many abilities that some would consider unnatural... and I'd like to open that path to you." With that said, Balthazar extended his arms holding the ten book encyclopedia set about alchemy that he'd cherished for a long time to Norin. Prepared to pass on the knowledge to another.
Last edited by Balthazar Black on Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 589

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Norin
Approved Character
Renown: 30
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Norin was walking through Viden, huddling his warm clothes closer as he made his way to a meeting. He felt a strange sense of deja-vu. His short stature made it easier for him to keep warm as he shook himself together. His long dark hair hung out of the warm fur cloak but his thick clothes didn't hide the jewellery in his massive dark beard.

He had heard bells before, but this sound still made him halt in his steps. "Fairies." he thought to himself without knowing why. He turned around to look at the origin of the sound only to see something completely unexpected. Instead of the cold streets of Viden, Norin was looking out over a river. He had a very strange feeling, a warm feeling. There was snow all around him and he was no longer in Viden. To make matters more confusing, he discovered that the warm feeling was the mug he was holding. He sipped its content, which was sweat and delicious. He wondered why he had done that without questioning it first.

Around him were three other individuals. Norin recognized the woman immediately, even though he had never met her. After she presented herself, Norin bowed and greeted her according to proper etiquette. "Seasons greetings. I am Norin Killarney." Norin repeated the greeting to the white feline character as he nodded to it in acknowledgement. "Seasons greetings."

As Saoire explained why they were here, Norin looked at the half naked bloodied man. He seemed out of place, but it all made sense, just as a dream makes sense when you are having it. Everything was calm and peaceful.

"Farewell." Norin said to Saoire as she disappeared in a song of hummingbird's wings. He then turned to Balthazar, "Seasons greetings Balthazar. I am Norin."

Balthazar moved quickly to a bundle of books on the ground, which he picked up and presented to Norin. Norin sipped from his mug as Balthazar explained the origin and meaning of the gift. Alchemy was not a path Norin had considered, but it was an option available at the Academy. The gift seemed to be more than simply books. It was also more than knowledge, which Norin knew was worth more than anything else. It was a path, and not just a direction to go, a subject to study, but a path in life, something to strive towards and give meaning to every trial looking forward.

Norin put down his mug on the ground and accepted the encyclopedia from Balthazar, "This is more than simply books. It is more than knowledge. It is a path and a reason. It gives meaning and thus also means more than I can express. Thank you so much for your gift."
word count: 460
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

25 Zi'da 720
Norin Killarney. Balthazar made a note of the name in his mind while the recipient of the gift introduced himself to everyone. The name seemed familiar, perhaps he had heard it around Viden.. or was it Melrath? Either way he could not recall anything specific about it. When Norin took the books from Balthazar's hands, the mage smiled. He was glad to hear what Norin thought of the gift and even more glad he'd accepted it. It was good to hear that Norin seemed to value the path as much as Balthazar had. Part of the mage had been worried that he'd misinterpreted the dream and give a bunch of books to a warrior who could not read. "You're welcome. I hope you gain as much use from them as I have." It was only then that Balthazar really noticed his appearance.

"Sorry about this, I was in the middle of a brawl when Saoire took me." Balthazar explained with a gesture to his body before moving quickly back to the topic of alchemy. He knelt down and picked up the mug he'd set down so he could give Norin the gift. His fingers wrapped slowly around the outside of the cup, feeling warm for a moment before even that was sapped away by his flaming heart. "I'm a traveler but where are you from?" Balthazar asked with hidden intentions. He had been to many places and met many people. The books were the gift but if he could give Norin some guidance on how to explore the new path that had been opened to him, he would. Balthazar's secret hope was that Norin was from Viden because then it would be easy for Balthazar to offer further guidance.
word count: 300

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Norin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

"A brawl?" Norin asked. He knew how to fight, how to wield a weapon, and how to hunt, but it was always supposed to be actions of last resort. If he could avoid it, Norin would always avoid a fight. Maybe because he knew what he was capable of, how far he was willing to go, or maybe it was to ensure his own survival. "I hope you will be alright, that you aren't going back to your demise."

"I am myself going back home to Viden," Norin continued answering Balthazar's question without hesitation or hints of deception. "I have a meeting to attend, but I'm certain I will return in time to take care of affairs. It's at the academy. You're a traveler. Have you ever been to Viden? Have you ever visited the academy?" The last part about the meeting being at the academy was not true, but Norin was steering the conversation in the direction he felt Balthazar wanted it to go. A means to go deeper into the details of the gift, which was simply a symbol for a possible future. Reading between the lines and acting proper was what Norin did, but it was also true that his future had been uncertain ever since he had moved out of his parents' shadows, and tried to make a name for himself without refering to his uncle. Whether Balthazar had ever been in Viden or even knew about the academy didn't matter, it was the fact that Norin showed an interest and a suggestion on which path to go that held merit.
word count: 271
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

25 Zi'da 720
"Oh it's nothing dangerous. Honestly its training, the better I become in a safe environment, the more prepared I am for a dangerous one." Balthazar justified it to himself more than to Norin. He could not change how he wanted to fight but he knew he had to choose his fights more carefully now. He was sure that whenever he returned to where he was he could be able to sort out the brawl in a matter of bits. Balthazar listened to Norin as the man said he was going back home to Viden to attend a meeting at the Academy. He smiled a little and nodded in response to Norin's question. He had been to the Academy many times. He'd taken books from a restricted section the first time he visited because he simply wasn't thinking about the rules. A lot had changed since then.

"I have been to Viden and to the Academy, a few times now." He said, thinking of the professor he'd met and worked with a few times. "If you get the chance you should look for Doran Thetys. He is a skilled Alchemist and a friend who could probably show you how to best utilize the books." Balthazar suggested. He did not know if it would be easy to reach Doran but it had never been exceedingly difficult for him. The professor didn't seem to turn away most people who just showed up and if he didn't have the time, he could generally schedule an appointment. "He has taught me most of what I know about alchemy."

word count: 274

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Norin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Norin had his guard down and believed Balthazar's explanation. He was relieved to hear that it was for training, something Norin related to. He understood that training was necessary to be prepared when a real dangerous situation arose. Norin sipped his drink.

"I know Doran." Norin replied, thinking back to the competition at the Academy between the three prospects. "A friend" was an interesting term Balthazar used, and Norin noted that simply telling Doran about Balthazar may be helpful in the future. This was another gift, most likely unintentional, but a welcome one. Combined with the books, it would be easy for Norin to get close to Doran. Tools for his political machinations.

"Yes, his latest thesis on blood magic was quite interesting." Norin didn't remember much of Doran's presentation, but he remembered enough to make it sound as if he knew what he was talking about, as long as the conversation didn't delve into the details of the thesis.

"His use of alchemy to change how magic is wielded and thus used in medical situations was quite intriguing. Combined with his willingness to use humanoid trials, it was quite inovative research he did. I was surprised that all of his subjects were willing, but I guess he didn't have much choice in participants if it was one of the criterias for his research." It was clear Norin knew Doran. Not personally, but professionally, and that he understood Doran's position and how to get in touch with him. With his guard down, Norin was easy to read.
word count: 263
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

25 Zi'da 720
Balthazar seemed glad that Norin knew Doran but he was beginning to get the sense that there was more to the man before him than he expected. It didn't matter. This was a time for celebrating. Doran was capable and Balthazar was thinking he might visit him again soon anyways. Then Norin mentioned Doran's thesis on blood magic and Balthazar's eyes seemed to light up a little. He smiled and nodded his head. "I'm familiar with his work. He's used my blood for it often enough that I think I have a grasp of how it works. I never read his thesis though." Balthazar said, thinking back to his time working with Doran. He had traded his blood for one lesson in Alchemy but he really received two. There were gaps in his knowledge but he was in the process of figuring it out. In his hands... blood magic could probably do some wonderful things. He had the mystical blood to use and the magic to protect himself from the dangers... but he needed more time to practice before he did anything.

"I'm not familiar with most of his experiments but I've seen academics interested in stranger things than blood magic so it doesn't surprise me he found willing volunteers." After all, Elisabeth wanted to be burned alive so she could become a mage. Well... maybe wanted was the wrong word there but it felt like that. Balthazar saw Torma edging closer and closer to the river curiously and on a whim he coaxed the water to surge out and wrap around the mouse. When he did, his eyes smokes slightly and a wind whipped around him but he seemed unfazed by it. The water pulled Torma in and the little mouse swam around a little before getting back onto the snow. "You looked like you wanted to swim." Balthazar said in a joking manner before turning back to Norin. "I should probably be going back soon. I'm not sure how this works but... I do think the man I was brawling with will be confused as to where I went."
word count: 364

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Saoire's Dream”