• Solo • Talent Show

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.
Liarra Picine
Approved Character
Race: Lotharro
Profession: Mercenary/Assassin
Renown: -20
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Talent Show

Talent Show

7 Ymiden 716
Stepping out of the inn, Liarra immediately equipped all the weapons that had been confiscated by the Golden Flask. Once her Dao swords were secured on her back and throwing knives strapped on her belt, the Naer hoped that people would at least be a little intimidated. Being a small woman pursuing a career of violence was no easy task and she needed all the edge she could get. Even if the leather armor hugging her body was slowly boiling her inside.

Kyeran looked ready for a fight as well, his quiver and bow already resting on his back.

“Do we have to do this?” Liarra asked for the third time since they woke up. “Maybe we can find another who travelled by land.” The thought of having to travel through water again so soon was enough to make the Naer squirm. She had been elated when their ship had landed in Ne’haer, but now she would have to contemplate the idea of boarding another one.

Shaking his head, Kyeran slipped past to walk in front of her. “There aren’t many merchants willing to travel to Sirothelle. We are fortunate enough to find one so soon. We are not going to get another chance like this.”

It had been a few days since their arrival and they haven’t actually acquired any job. In a city so full of diversity, they were not the only mercenaries around. Anyone with a sword in his hand was looking for someone to hire.

Two days ago, the pair overheard a crowd of men talking about a merchant named Rylon who was hiring mercenaries to accompany his travel to Sirothelle. At the mention of his home, Kyeran had immediately jumped in and asked where they could find the merchant. They said he was aboard a ship called The Verdict and anyone who was interested could go.

“I have been asking around.” Kyeran ran his fingers through his hair messily, making him looked less uptight. This was one of the days Liarra understood why so many people feared the Aukarians. Her partner was an intimidating sight, with broad-shouldered figure towering over her and his golden eyes unforgiving. Yet despite this, his people were known as terrifying “They say the man is a prick and is obsessed with women.”

“I think what you meant to say was: I have been spying on him.” Knowing the Aukarian, it was more likely to find him sneaking around the merchant’s ship than talking to random strangers about the merchant. His lack of comeback was enough answer for her. Liarra smirked at him as they emerged into the Harbor. She scanned their surrounding briefly, trying to find a ship that matched the description given to them. “Perfect then. There is more chance of him hiring me.”

“As what?”

The Naer looked at the man with mock horror. “Are you questioning my morals? I feel insulted.”

The pair slowly made their way through the Harbor, asking around along the way. Turns out, people had been talking about The Verdict and it wasn’t too difficult to find it. “Ready?” Liarra asked once they were standing right in front of it.

With a nod, Kyeran walked up to the boat first, leaving her to wait for at least a few bits. Whenever they were trying to get hired, they would come as separately instead of a pair. Experience had taught them that they were more likely to be accepted individually. The Naer spent the next bits stretching her muscles, ready for any sort of demonstration if it was required. Once

On the ship about a dozen men milled about. Most of them sported some kind of weapon. There was no women in sight, fortunately – Liarra had a tendency not to get along with women in general. It wasn’t too difficult to spot the person in charge.

Liarra had expected an old man, but the merchant seemed to be in his late twenties. There was an air of arrogance about him. Despite his simple clothing, she could tell the fabrics were rich. His face was rugged-looking and unmarred, decorated by a shadow of a dark beard. Must be the son of some wealthy family then, trying his own luck in the world. As if sensing her gaze, the man turned his attention to her.

With a small smile, the young woman approached, ignoring Kyeran’s heavy gaze on her. No wonder he questioned her morals. The Aukarian was already standing on the other side of the boat, so she assumed he was already hired. “I am looking for Rylon. I heard he is hiring.”

“Indeed I am.” He blatantly let his eyes roam up and down. At least Kyeran wasn’t wrong. “But not the sort of work you are looking for, sweetheart. Though, I’ve no doubt I can find a more… delicate work for you.”

This was not a surprise. Liarra knew that her slight stature and feminine figure did little to convince possible employers that she was a warrior. One of the reasons she separated from Kyeran – she was nothing in comparison with him physically. At least, she learned, that low expectations meant it would be easier to impress someone. “That’s very gracious of you, but I think you will find skills aren’t anything you might call delicate.”

For the sake of dramatics, the young woman pulled out her swords in a swift move. Even though she wasn’t looking at him, she could already imagine Kyeran rolling his eyes. The blades poised in front of her, Liarra raised an arched eyebrow, “So?”
word count: 946
Liarra Picine
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Talent Show

Rylon simply smiled even wider, his hand resting on the hilt of a sword she didn’t notice earlier. “As much as I want to, I can’t take your word for it, sweetheart. Where we’re going, it is no place for a girl playing a warrioress.”

Haughtily, she raised her chin with a slow gaze at the men surrounding him. “I have been trained to fight a lot longer than at least half of your men.”

“Perhaps,” he relented. “You are a woman still.”

Perhaps not the smartest thing to say, but Liarra could not help herself. She could feel Kyeran’s warning stare burning into her, but she pretended not to notice, “So, you would rather be protected by an incompetent men than a competent woman?”

That made the merchant stopped and return his gaze toward her. Fortunately, instead of ordering his men to toss her into the water, she could see a glimmer of interest in his blue eyes. “You know what? Since you look entirely charming when you are fired up, I will give you a chance to prove yourself.” He pulled out his sword and stepped toward her. After a long glance around, Rylon suddenly pointed at a brown-haired young man standing on the edge of the group behind him. He was probably about her age. “You there, what is your name again?”

“Luthor,” the young man replied swiftly.

Rylon gestured at him to walk forward. “You are going to fight her. If you lose, she will be taking your place.”

Unsurprisingly, the young man immediately scowled and looked at her. It was understandable. Liarra was threatening his source of income. “You can’t do that! You’ve hired me!”

The tension in the merchant’s jaw was enough to show his growing annoyance. “I can do whatever I want. And frankly, if you are defeated by a young woman, it is safe to say that you will be nothing but a burden in my ship.”

Liarra nearly let out an audible sigh of relief as she sheathed the sword in her left hand. For a moment there, Liarra thought that the young merchant would challenge her to fight him. There was a confidence in the way he held his blade, betraying his skill. It was very likely that a merchant like him had enough money trained by a professional. On the other hand, the young man looked nervous and fidgety. His hand was gripping the hilt too tightly – a common novice mistake, one she had experienced.

At least her opponent was no master swordsman.

The men immediately cleared the space for them to fight and surrounded them in a wide circle. As she glanced around, Liarra met her Kyeran’s amber eyes. He didn’t seem very pleased and quite worried, but he nodded encouragingly nonetheless.

Luthor scowled as he stood in front of her, a longsword in his hand. Now that they were face to face, Liarra took the time to study him. He was bulky, with broad shoulders and muscled arms. There was no doubt he would play on his strengths. But big men move slowly and the Naer was trained to rely on speed and agility. Despite his displeasure at his current situation, Luthor seemed quite confident. He must think he could defeat her with no trouble.

Oh how happy she was to prove him wrong.
Last edited by Liarra Picine on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 567
Liarra Picine
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Talent Show

Liarra was nothing if not aggressive in a fight. Giving no chance for her opponent to think, she swung her blade in an arc. Their blades connected with a loud clank. The thrill of a fight immediately took over her body. Her blade was already swinging before Luthor even truly realized what was happening. It was not only important for her to defeat the young man standing in front of her, but this was also the perfect opportunity to warn the other mercenaries not to mess with her. As a female mercenary, there was no room for her to look vulnerable or hesitant.

Her opponent caught her second swing, but she saw the hesitation blooming in his eyes. That was good. He would be more desperate to defeat her. Just as she predicted, Luthor reeled back only to charge at her with a roar. The Naer ducked just as the young man’s sword swiped for her head.

The momentum threw Luthor off balance. Seeing the opportunity, the young woman dropped to the ground and swept Luthor’s feet from underneath him. She had suspected that he would have a weak stance and was proven right as the young man was sent tripping back. Liarra didn’t hesitate; she slammed her foot against his stomach and sent him sprawling back.

Before he had any chance to stand, Liarra was already resting the tip of her sword on the Luthor’s throat. She didn’t even bother to hide the smug smile as she looked down on her opponent. “I win.”

Luthor’s eyes flared with anger as he cursed at her. As she glanced up, the young woman purposefully met the eyes of her spectators. Basking in a victory was always fun.

Unfortunately, Kyeran’s voice tore through her triumph, “Liarra!”

She whirled instinctively and reachied for her other sword. At the corner of her eyes, Liarra saw a blade coming down on her from above. Fortunately, her mother’s grueling training had instilled a fast reflex in her bones. As she turned, the young woman brought her swords up just in time – barely – to catch Rylon’s blow with a horrible clank. His strength was considerable, forcing the Naer to kneel with a grunt as she struggled. Her hands had started shaking. Liarra was not match to him in terms of brute force.

“Are you planning to kill me?” the young woman hissed at the grinning man looking down on her. She could tell he was not truly trying to hurt her, but she wasn’t exactly pleased by the attack. “If you really won’t accept me, you could have just said so.”

Rylon grinned as he finaly sheathed his blade. “You are hired, sweetheart.”
word count: 457
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Ne'haer”