• Solo • Melinda

Zi'da 720 Wealth Thread.

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Melinda

Zi’da, 1 Arc 720

On the 1st of Zi‘da, Devin Thorn, thief, conman extraordinaire and not entirely clueless incredibly skilled, experienced and all-around awesome Becomer was sitting at the vanity table in his luxurious bedroom yet again, experimenting with various kinds of makeup. He had just put a bit of eyeliner on, with surgical precision (literally, he was actually a skilled surgeon!) and was working on his eyeshadow when somebody banged on the entrance door, as if they were going to break into …

He jumped up abruptly, accidentally smearing some of the eyeshadow onto his cheek in the process and looked around wide-eyed. He was just about to try and locate his sword so that he would be able to poke a few new holes into the intruder when someone suddenly started to scream. “Help! Help! My daughter’s hurt!” a woman screamed on top of her lungs and in a tone of voice that was filled with utter despair.

For a moment, the young Mortalborn just stood there, as if he were frozen, and then he stopped looking for his sword and simply ran down the stairs as is. When he opened the door, a middle-aged and somewhat overweight human woman with red curls rushed past him, carrying a little girl in her arms that the same red curls in her arms. A blood-soaked piece of cloth was wrapped around her right leg.

“Where’s the doctor?” she wanted to know and looked around. “I was told that a famous doctor lives in this house! Tell me where he is!” she asked Devin who momentarily wondered if she was blind because he was right in front of her before he gestured for her to follow him.

“I am the doctor”, he told her. “And yes, I know that I’m young, and I know that I’m mutated and that I have black nails and that there is makeup on my cheek. I’m inventing a new fashion trend”, he claimed before his tone of voice abruptly became much more serious. Devin was eccentric, to say the least, and he loved to cause trouble, but when someone was hurt and needed his help, he didn’t make jokes, at least not usually.

“What exactly happened to your daughter?” he wanted to know while he led the woman to his treatment room that had been his second bedroom once upon a time. “Did she have an accident?” he continued and gestured for her to lay the girl who just stared at him from out of big brown eyes and didn’t say a single word down on the examination table.

While he waited for her answer, he removed the blood-soaked piece of cloth that definitely did not constitute a proper bandage in his opinion. He tried to be careful, but the little girl still let out a whimper which caused the Mortalborn to smile at her reassuringly before he remarked, “It will stop hurting soon. I just need to take a closer look at your leg.”

Devin didn’t like children particularly because they were unpredictable and uncontrollable, and he definitely never wanted to have any children of his own because that would just make him lose his mind, but if a child was in pain, they needed to be comforted rather than being ignored in favor of the adults that were with them or being treated like a soulless piece of furniture. That was a fact as far as he was concerned!

word count: 590

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Melinda

“I was just visiting a friend of mine that lives down the street. Melinda must have snuck away while we were talking. I only noticed that she was gone when I heard a scream. Apparently, she tried to climb the stack of wood in front of my friend’s house and fell. She is a very active girl and loves to climb”, the woman said while she watched Devin take care of the little girl and added in a tearful tone of voice, “I know what you want to say now, doctor. I should never have let my daughter out of my sight. I feel so guilty! Melinda could have died! I’ll be much more careful from now on!”

“Well, actually, I was going to say that you should …”,
Devin began. He had wanted to say that the woman should just teach her daughter to climb better. In his opinion, that would be more beneficial to her in the long run; and besides, having a parent who was always watching you and wanted to know what you were doing was annoying in his opinion.

The appearance of little Melinda’s wound distracted him though, at least for the time being. The girl was obviously hurt, but not as badly as he had assumed when the woman had pretty much barged into his house, as if she had been on the verge of a mental breakdown. Melinda had either been lucky, or that stack of wood had not been particularly high!

Either way, he carefully cleaned the wound so that he would be able to take a better look at it, furrowed his brow, furrowed his brow some more and finally remarked, “It looks as if Melinda fell onto something.”

“A piece of wood was sticking out a bit further than the rest. She fell onto it”,
the woman told Devin and stroke her daughter’s head before she turned to look at the Mortalborn who knitted his brows in mild irritation because he couldn’t help but wonder why she had kept that very important detail to herself until now. In order to be able to treat little Melinda properly, he needed to know exactly how the accident had taken place!

“Nothing is broken, but Melinda will definitely need stitches”, he informed the woman in no uncertain terms, tossed the blood-soaked piece of cloth into a trashcan with a frown and proceeded to disinfect the wound. He was wearing gloves while he did that, of course. Devin was not particularly interested in contaminating his patients’ wounds as that could lead to infections and such, and neither was he particularly keen on getting blood and similar stuff onto his hands!

“I’ll numb your wound so that you won’t feel anything”, he assured Melinda who had begun to whimper slightly again. That was exactly what he did. Once the area was sufficiently numb, he got a needle and some surgical thread and went to work, a look of deep concentration on his face because he wanted to get the stitches just right so that the scarring would hopefully be minimal, and finally bandaged it with a very nice looking …

“It’s green!” Melinda remarked and eyed the light green bandage that he had put around her leg, her eyes wide with surprise before she smiled very lightly. It was the first time that she had said something since her mother had carried her into Devin’s house.

“Indeed, it is!” Devin confirmed in a cheerful tone of voice. “I thought that always using white bandages would be boring. All your friends will envy you when they see your new bandage!” he told her and smiled all over his face because he was so very, very proud of his idea.

His colleagues would likely disapprove of it, but he didn’t care. As far as he was concerned, there really was no reason to always use white. Black might be a problem, but you could see blood, pus and similar stuff just as well on a light green, light blue or light pink bandage, and it protected the wound just as well, and in the end, that was what really counted!

word count: 702

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“Mommy, look!” Melinda who seemed to have mostly recovered from her shock and turned back into a lively little girl remarked, smiled all over her face and tried to direct her mother’s attention to the bandage. “The weird doctor gave me a really nice bandage!”

“Melinda, you don’t say that other people are weird!”
the woman chided her daughter.

“I don’t mind”, Devin assured her with a grin. “In fact, I prefer to be called weird. Being weird is one of my goals in life. I’d like to see Melinda again in a seven-trial, by the way, to make sure that her leg is healing fine and to remove the stitches.”

“And oh”,
he added before the woman could say something because it finally needed to be said. “If Melinda likes to climb, you should teach her – or better yet, find someone who can teach her. It will prevent similar accidents in the future, besides, her love of climbing should be fostered. Who knows, maybe she’ll get a job out of it one trial?”

The woman didn’t say anything right away, but just looked at Devin and blinked slightly, as if she weren’t sure what she was supposed to make out of that statement and his speaking of Melinda’s future career as a professional climber or something like that. It was not what she had expected!

“I’ll keep that in mind”, she finally replied.

She was just about to help Melinda off the examination table when the Mortalborn who had taken his protective gloves off in the meantime approached her and held a hand out to her.

The woman made a face, as if she had expected her daughter’s emergency treatment to be free before she nodded, produced her wallet and dropped a few shiny nels into Devin’s hand.

The Mortalborn who was definitely not a humanitarian, but a greedy follower of Delroth, grinned and pocketed the nels before he bade the mother farewell and waved to little Melinda who waved back at him. A moment later, he cleaned up his treatment room and finally went back into his bedroom where he eyed his reflection in the mirror.

He glanced at the makeup on his cheek, shrugged his shoulders and proceeded to smear more makeup onto his other cheek. Now, it really looked like a new fashion trend!

word count: 400

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Thank you for your patience!

This thread has been claimed as a test review!
word count: 14
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Avalon
Race: Prophet
Profession: Bootiful Bean
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Review Rewards

Name: Devin

Points awarded: 10 no magic xp

Knowledge:
Cosmetology x2
Medicine x2
Surgery x2

Renown: 5

Skill Review: All Skills used appropriate to level

Devin’s Medicine & Surgery skills were illustrated perfectly. Discipline and Detection go hand-in-hand with Medicine and thus were appropriate. All other skills listed were noted and used appropriate to level (and comically in the case of Cosmetology!)

Notes:
Devin is a wonderfully complex character! This was a fantastic, easy read and you write the character beautifully. I had no trouble following the thread along and knowing what was happening at each point. I enjoy how you explain Devin’s idiosyncrasies with wit and lightness.

You described the two npcs (Mom and Melinda) incredibly well with descriptive detail. I certainly agreed with Devin that it would be more beneficial to Melinda in the long run if someone taught her how to climb better!

I liked how you described each step of the process of giving Melinda stitches. It was clear and concise.

A great read!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this review, feel free to PM. Enjoy your rewards!

Avalon

word count: 192
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”