Some more questions

Largely relating to packages and NPC's

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Kazmir Saelaris
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 7
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Some more questions

Hello again! I'm about half way from finishing the CS, but wanted to get a few things straight before I screw up anymore.

NPC's? From my understanding npc's that are purely background characters would not have to be applied for? IE someone like Paladin's sister who I never intend to make an appearance in the course of RP would not require npc application? Dead NPC's the same? What about other characters that may be alive? Once or twice I mentioned names of military personnel, mostly Paladins CO's, though was rather sparse on the details. Theoretically these guys are still kicking around even though Paladin would never see them again. I wouldn't have to apply for these guys right?

The characters history has forced him to leave the Eternal Empire to which he can never go back. My question is, waaay down the road, if this changes and some how he can get back to the Empire is it acceptable to introduce aforementioned sister as a personal NPC in so long as I go through the application process?

What about semi-famous NPC's that are long dead. I specifically mentioned, and may mention again, a Raskithecal philosopher and his rival. Granted these two are long gone but were rather famous in their time 200 or so years ago. Will I need to apply for them? Submit something to lore (simply for the sake of completeness)?

Next question is about marks. I noticed the provided character sheet templates had mark info penned in, I am not mistaken in thinking there are no universal marks right? It was some kind of placeholder?

On languages, is the Raskithecal dialect of common different enough to warrant a slot in the starting languages? And if not, may I drop the second language skill completely? I don't see Paladin bothering to have learned languages he would never use, as most of the nation (from my understanding) would have spoken common.

On the packages. I'm a little torn as to what package I should be taking. I was initially looking at the deserter package but was hesitant for two reasons. A) being that he was not in active service at the time of his flight (though was still part of the Legion) and, B) it states its for characters that “recently” fled military service. Though it may be poor form, his flight from imperial lands was long and rather boring and I can't actually start in the Empire. Either way I cut it, in optimal conditions, it would have taken him roughly two months of travel to get from Korlasir to past Cahryst allowing him ample time to alter his belongings to suit his need (by this I mean a travelers package). So which on should I be looking at?

If I am required to go Deserters Pack (which I have no problem with) how heavily am I allowed to alter it? Specifically Paladin carrying around Legion gear would be a real bad idea for a lot of reasons. I was thinking he may have been able to pawn to one of the merchants on the trade route at a fourth buying price or so. Which would be put right back into some basic leathers and survival gear. This acceptable?

Next question is skill related. Humans get a +10 a skill, I was gonna roll that into rhetoric via his early education and natural affinity. Then I noticed persuasion. I understand that some of the skills are still in development (notably those two, heh) and I was wondering if there is some functional difference (ex: persuasion encompassing non verbal communication where rhetoric only refers to verbal and written)?

I think that's it.. for now MWAHAHAHA!
word count: 629
Rend
Approved Character
Race: Tunawa
Profession: Raider
Renown: -30
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Some more questions

Next question is skill related. Humans get a +10 a skill, I was gonna roll that into rhetoric via his early education and natural affinity. Then I noticed persuasion. I understand that some of the skills are still in development (notably those two, heh) and I was wondering if there is some functional difference (ex: persuasion encompassing non verbal communication where rhetoric only refers to verbal and written)?

Hullo there! Most of the rest of these questions are for other folks, but as a Grader, here's how I break down the difference on those two.

An uneducated urchin can be the most persuasive person around. Charming and able to wheedle anything out of anyone.

Rhetoric to me, is when a character speaks well and purposefully.

So charming someone with regular conversation is persuasion, giving a speech to rally troops change peoples minds etc is rhetoric.
word count: 146
Kraken
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: 0

Contribution

Some more questions

NPC's? From my understanding npc's that are purely background characters would not have to be applied for? IE someone like Paladin's sister who I never intend to make an appearance in the course of RP would not require npc application? Dead NPC's the same? What about other characters that may be alive? Once or twice I mentioned names of military personnel, mostly Paladins CO's, though was rather sparse on the details. Theoretically these guys are still kicking around even though Paladin would never see them again. I wouldn't have to apply for these guys right?

The sister who exists only to be mentioned in passing, nah, you con't have to. Describe her on your CS somewhere that's fine. The COs, as long as you didn't have them ranked too high they can also stay un-official. If you want to say they were super important, Raskalarns right hand etc, then they need to be submitted. You wouldn't need to support them obviously but. If they were only important to Paladin and otherwise fairly replaceable cogs in the Imperial Legion, no worries.

The characters history has forced him to leave the Eternal Empire to which he can never go back. My question is, waaay down the road, if this changes and some how he can get back to the Empire is it acceptable to introduce aforementioned sister as a personal NPC in so long as I go through the application process?

Yes fine. No problem with that.

What about semi-famous NPC's that are long dead. I specifically mentioned, and may mention again, a Raskithecal philosopher and his rival. Granted these two are long gone but were rather famous in their time 200 or so years ago. Will I need to apply for them? Submit something to lore (simply for the sake of completeness)?

For completeness it would be good to do this! If you mention them a lot, other people might want to know what you're on about. Maybe their characters would also know about them. This is not suer pressing and you can kind of do it when you have time, but yes, I would suggest writing these up. Plus it's sort of fun to see a character entirely removed from you and yours mentioning and using something you came up with ;)

Next question is about marks. I noticed the provided character sheet templates had mark info penned in, I am not mistaken in thinking there are no universal marks right? It was some kind of placeholder?

Just a placeholder, if you're not applying for a mark at the start, get rid of the text but leave the coding for yourself in case that changes :)

On languages, is the Raskithecal dialect of common different enough to warrant a slot in the starting languages? And if not, may I drop the second language skill completely? I don't see Paladin bothering to have learned languages he would never use, as most of the nation (from my understanding) would have spoken common.

Depends how much you want to ham it up! If you really wanted to speak in a stilted formal fashion, you could almost count it as another language, I don't think any other players currently do though. Particularly if he has been travelling for months through places where Common is prevalent, I think you can just have Fluent Common. You do not need to take a second lamguage, it's just an option.

On the packages. I'm a little torn as to what package I should be taking. I was initially looking at the deserter package but was hesitant for two reasons. A) being that he was not in active service at the time of his flight (though was still part of the Legion) and, B) it states its for characters that “recently” fled military service. Though it may be poor form, his flight from imperial lands was long and rather boring and I can't actually start in the Empire. Either way I cut it, in optimal conditions, it would have taken him roughly two months of travel to get from Korlasir to past Cahryst allowing him ample time to alter his belongings to suit his need (by this I mean a travelers package). So which on should I be looking at?

I don't know your story exactly, but Deserter is more aimed towards folks who legit leg it from a battlefield. If Traveller maker more sense, go with that! Just because you are -a- deserter does not mean you encessarily need to take that package.

If I am required to go Deserters Pack (which I have no problem with) how heavily am I allowed to alter it? Specifically Paladin carrying around Legion gear would be a real bad idea for a lot of reasons. I was thinking he may have been able to pawn to one of the merchants on the trade route at a fourth buying price or so. Which would be put right back into some basic leathers and survival gear. This acceptable?

Noot really! Thats kind of one of the downsides of the pack. You can sure RP out selling you clearly Imperial issue gear, but then if you're writing realistically, you're absolutely known in that area for being a deserter, and realistically you probably got under the listed value because the store or fence now has to either alter that armour or find someone who doesn't care, and close enough to Imperial lands? Thats no easy job. So there's not a lot of wiggle room for hand wavey 'I did this before I started RPing' changes. Also one of us fun mods might appear in your thread with NPCs doin' jerk things if you don't play things realistically. We do stuff like that, it's good times. Jail time is a shite way to start a new character, though a good jailbreak is always fun!
word count: 1004
Kazmir Saelaris
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 7

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Some more questions

Thank ya both for you answers.
Rend wrote:So charming someone with regular conversation is persuasion, giving a speech to rally troops change peoples minds etc is rhetoric.
Hmm..I still don't think I'm quite grocking the delineation. So for EX:

Urchin smiled the goofiest smile he could muster as his stomach churned to a rumbled. Batting the big brown puppy eyes his mother had gifted him, his voice screeched out an apology "I'm sorry mister, I was just so so hungry! Papa got hurt and hasn't been able to work the past month, and mama been just trying to keep up on rent money! Please don't call the guard!" Urchin squeezed a little tear from his left eye with a blink.

Paladin grimaced at the dirty boy. "None the less, you have not any right to take what is mine child. Theft is an act of deprivation of basic rights by mere action, and thus by deprivation you place unwarranted strain on an individual and enact a tyranny upon them. You cannot know if this strain will, over the course of greater time, injure and thus act with the potential of immorality..." pausing mid stride of his lecture the grim faced man took stock of the ambivalent Urchin once more. "Take the nondescript food item and be gone."

The child smiled a toothy grin as he groped for the food item, 'Who is this bozo?' he thought before scampering off to seek out another mark.

Paladin's stomach rumbled.

So in this (hasty) example Urchin would have been using persuasion and Paladin rhetoric?
Tidal wrote:The COs, as long as you didn't have them ranked too high they can also stay un-official.
Hmm, I'm prolly gonna have to PM Basilisk about that, though I think I should be good. I think the person I talked up the most would have been a Rask CO that was well known for 'whipping boys into men' sort of thing. Would probably be fine though...
Tidal wrote:For completeness it would be good to do this! If you mention them a lot, other people might want to know what you're on about. Maybe their characters would also know about them. This is not suer pressing and you can kind of do it when you have time, but yes, I would suggest writing these up. Plus it's sort of fun to see a character entirely removed from you and yours mentioning and using something you came up with ;)
Haha, yeah would be cool. Though I didn't notice many characters that might reference two century old Raskithecal philosophical treatise, heh. Granted I've only gotten about half through the total characters as of yet... and already forgotten more than I remember hah.

Tidal wrote:Just a placeholder, if you're not applying for a mark at the start, get rid of the text but leave the coding for yourself in case that changes :)
Yeah thought so. That actually reminds me, I had another question about marks. Is it an involuntary process? I mean both for curses and blessings. Say if Ethelynda (for some crazy reason) decided to grant Paladin her blessing, could he kind tell to go fuck off and deny the boon? Or would he be saddled with despite what he wants?

Mind you I don't anticipate this to happen, more so just asking out of curiosity.
Tidal wrote:Depends how much you want to ham it up!
I love ham! Ham and pineapple pizza if proof god loves us and wants us to be happy.
Tidal wrote:Noot really! Thats kind of one of the downsides of the pack. You can sure RP out selling you clearly Imperial issue gear, but then if you're writing realistically, you're absolutely known in that area for being a deserter, and realistically you probably got under the listed value because the store or fence now has to either alter that armour or find someone who doesn't care, and close enough to Imperial lands? Thats no easy job. So there's not a lot of wiggle room for hand wavey 'I did this before I started RPing' changes. Also one of us fun mods might appear in your thread with NPCs doin' jerk things if you don't play things realistically. We do stuff like that, it's good times. Jail time is a shite way to start a new character, though a good jailbreak is always fun!
Gotcha. Yeah, in his specific circumstance he (hitching with a merchant caravan headed to Andaris) he could have probably easily unloaded it (as the merchant would have been able to sell it quick). Either way that's moot as I'm thinking the Traveler pack would make the most sense and I'll just hand wave and say that he abandoned his armor for traveling speed. Danger aside, he wouldn't want to wear the stuff anyway.

At anyrate, thank ya both for your replies!
word count: 840
Kraken
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: 0

Contribution

Some more questions

So in this (hasty) example Urchin would have been using persuasion and Paladin rhetoric?

Basically yes. Though in fairness, if you were being graded, it's a toss-up whether you'd get rhetoric or teaching or both. They are sort of.. Those are skills that are a bit more open to interpretation and how you use them but yes, it looks like you've pretty well grocked it ;)

Hmm, I'm prolly gonna have to PM Basilisk about that, though I think I should be good.

Can't hurt! Plus Basi is always a good time <3

I had another question about marks. Is it an involuntary process? I mean both for curses and blessings. Say if Ethelynda (for some crazy reason) decided to grant Paladin her blessing, could he kind tell to go fuck off and deny the boon? Or would he be saddled with despite what he wants?

Immortals don't care what you want, Immortals do what they want! So yes, you could get an unwanted mark.

Ham and pineapple pizza

I rescind my welcome, get out.

Gotcha. Yeah, in his specific circumstance he (hitching with a merchant caravan headed to Andaris) he could have probably easily unloaded it (as the merchant would have been able to sell it quick). Either way that's moot as I'm thinking the Traveler pack would make the most sense and I'll just hand wave and say that he abandoned his armor for traveling speed. Danger aside, he wouldn't want to wear the stuff anyway.

Eeeeeeh. Caravan from Korlasir to Andaris is pretty well Imperial Territory until you board a boat. Travelers is likely your best bet, so yus, do that!
word count: 284
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”