• Solo • Kedyr

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kedyr

Part 1
Part 2

Ashan 105, Arc 720

“So, this is it!” Devin remarked cheerfully and ushered the very confused and kind of scared Avriel who had tried to break into his house a few bits earlier into his treatment room. He had promised not to alert the guards in exchange for a tooth (and told him that he would fix the rest of his teeth for free – should something turn out to be wrong with them). Since the Avriel was not particularly keen on a stay in Slag’s Deep, he had accepted.

“I just got the dentist’s chair earlier this cycle. Isn’t it nice? It’s really high quality, and my tools are brand-new as well. I only use the best. Do you want anything to eat or drink before we begin, by the way?” he asked and gestured for the thief to sit down on the dentist’s chair while his roommate Aidan went to guard the door lest said thief tried to make an escape attempt. Having done that, the Mortalborn who was dressed in purple silk pajamas (because Aidan and he had just gotten up and eaten breakfast) went over to a cupboard, removed a bottle of brandy from it and opened it.

“I don’t want you to think that I’m a bad host! I aim to always treat my guests well, and you are my guest!” he remarked as he poured some brandy into a crystal glass and handed it to the Avriel who was maybe two or three arcs younger than him. “Besides, alcohol’s a great disinfectant. You have really nice hair, by the way. Is this your natural hair color?” he wanted to know. He was talking incredibly quickly, as always, when he was excited, and he barely paused to take a break between the different sentences.

The Avriel just sat there, looking stunned, as he wasn’t sure what exactly was happening now. Why had Devin just complimented his hair? Was he hitting on him? He looked from Devin to Aidan who looked rather amused. Aidan often had a problem with Devin’s criminal ways and his mistreatment of other people; this man had tried to rob them though, so he had decided to go along with whatever his roommate had in mind.

Everything considered, offering him the chance to not go to prison was pretty nice and merciful!

Besides, Devin’s excitement about finally getting his first winged totem was quite contagious!

“Uhhh …” the Avriel made, eyed his brandy, eyed Devin and finally replied, “Yes. My hair’s always been like that.” His hair was a beautiful light blonde, almost platinum blonde – which was something that Devin was really fascinated with. He couldn’t wait to find out what he’d look like with it. Maybe he’d also use Blending and give himself blonde hair for a change. Could you blend an Avriel and a Human totem? He’d have to ask his mentor!

“Wonderful!” he remarked and grinned before he washed his hands and put on a pair of protective gloves and a mask – because what he had told the Avriel before had been true. He was a skilled doctor, and he also had some experience in dentistry, and he knew all about hygiene and safety measures and such. “Drink!” he urged him. “The brandy’s really good, and it’s not poisoned. I don’t know anything about poisoning people!”

“Oh, and what’s your name? A doctor should know the names of his patients”,
he added because he wanted to do this properly and show his victim just how good he was.

He was quite a proud and ambitious man!

“K … Kedyr”, the Avriel stammered, too confused to realize that telling them his real name might not be the best idea. There was one thing that he did realize though. He should have tried to find out who lived in the house that he wanted to break into beforehand. This man was apparently not only someone important (Devin had at least claimed that he was important before), he was at least borderline insane on top of it, judging by his behaviour.

If he ever broke into a house again, he decided, he would make sure that a harmless old lady that couldn’t defend herself and threaten him and blackmail him lived in it. Come to think of it, maybe he should give up his life of crime, learn a proper job and marry a nice Avriel lady instead so that he’d never have to deal with people like that again.

It would probably be safer!

word count: 777

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Kedyr

Like most Avriel, Kedyr tended to be quite an arrogant individual; he didn’t feel particularly arrogant at the moment though, and he didn’t look down on the men whose house he had broken into because they were, at least more or less, human either. He was still oh so confused and also kind of miserable as he finally lay down on the dentist’s chair.

Devin looked at him for a moment, smiling what was hopefully a nice and reassuring smile before he remarked, “Don’t worry. As I told you before, it won’t hurt a lot because I’m quite a masterful doctor and will give you something for the pain. By the way, Kedyr, if you ever need any tips regarding breaking into houses and robbing people …” he added.

“Huh?” Kedyr said, even more confused than before. First, it had sounded as if this strange man who had violet eyes and black nails wanted to hit on him, and now he wanted to … give him advice? Something wasn’t right here. Why was he not threatening him?

Devin wasn’t threatening Kedyr because he was just so excited about finally getting a new totem, and besides, he had been in similar situations once upon a time. He was a criminal as well, slightly reformed maybe because he didn’t break into houses as much anymore (he was a different kind of criminal, a conman and a politician, nowadays); so, a part of him actually wanted to help him. Criminals ought to stick together! But then again, Kedyr had tried to break into his house and steal his precious nels (and probably all his treasures as well).

That was just a little bit different!

“Forget it”, he said as he retrieved the injection that would numb Kedyr’s mouth and checked if he had the correct dose. “Just be a little more careful from now on – and avoid my house the next time you decide to steal something, okay? I’m quite good with the blade, and I have a really dangerous pet!” he pointed out. The former was not a lie. Devin avoided actual combat whenever he could because it was messy and bloody and you could get hurt (which could make you ugly), but he had sparred with Aidan quite frequently and really improved as a consequence. As for his pet – well, Heidi, the goat, had quite a powerful bite!

“He really is”, Aidan who was still playing the part of a guard helpfully confirmed and grinned, looking exceedingly proud because he had taught Devin. “Good with the blade, that is.”

word count: 437

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“Rinse your mouth with this!” Devin ordered Kedyr and handed a cup that was filled with a special solution that was kind of strawberry pink to him. The Avriel eyed it for a moment before he asked, “What’s that for? Didn’t you just say that alcohol is a disinfectant? Why do you need to disinfect my mouth twice? That doesn’t make any sense!”

“There may still be a bit of food stuck in your mouth!” Devin explained to him in the same almost overly cheerful tone as before. “This will get rid of at least some of it. I don’t want to stick my hands into a dirty mouth! Spit out!” he told him and placed a metal bowl under his chin that he carried at arm’s length as he got rid of its contents.

“Now then, let’s get the surgery started”, he continued. “Open your mouth wide and lean back! I’ll take a tooth that’s not immediately visible and easy to remove!” he told him, produced his dental forceps and hummed softly as he tried to decide which tooth he should pick. He touched a few teeth tentatively and finally decided on one that already seemed to be a little loose as that would be easier to remove.

A few moments, some pulling – and a few groans on Kedyr’s part – later, the Mortalborn held up the dental pliers with the Avriel’s tooth triumphantly before he retrieved yet another metal bowl. “Spit your blood into it!” he ordered the Avriel – because he needed blood in order to make a totem as well. While Kedyr did that, he quickly grabbed a strand of hair and pulled hard – because hair was the third ingredient that he needed.

“Sorry”, he remarked, grinning, as he noticed the irritated look on Kedyr’s face before he stuffed a piece of sterile gauze into the Avriel’s mouth. “Bite down. This will stop the bleeding and cause a blood clot to form. Avoid rinsing your mouth for a trial. Once that is over, use this mouthwash to keep your mouth clean”, he continued and produced a bottle, feeling quite proud of himself because he had remembered that.

“Let me check the rest of your teeth though”, he told the Avriel who looked as if he really wanted to leave the dentist’s chair – right now. “I don’t think that any of your other teeth require treatment. You definitely need to floss more though!” he informed him a few moments later. “Otherwise you’ll eventually get inflamed gums and caries and such – and then you will lose more teeth!”

“Caries is disgusting”,
he told him in no uncertain terms. Actually, pretty much every aspect of dentistry was a little disgusting (and as a priest of the Immortal of Vanity, Devin kind of disliked disgusting things), but dentistry was also the easiest and least problematic way to acquire new totems, so he’d decided to more or less contain his disgust.

For the time being. Until he had all the totems that he wanted. When that happened, he’d probably go right back to being disgusted.

Sometimes, Devin wondered if he should inform people that he was going to make totems with their teeth beforehand (free dental treatment in exchange for totems seemed like an interesting and fun business model that might actually work in such a tolerant society) – but then again, he didn’t want his being a Becomer to become public knowledge just yet.

Besides, he always used makeup and hair dye and Perfection In A Bottle and such when he was in a totem in order to improve it so that he didn’t look exactly like the original owner of the body anymore.

Nobody would mistake him for them!

That made not telling people what he planned on doing with their teeth kind of okay, didn’t it?

word count: 655

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Oberan
Approved Character
Profession: Full time nuisance
Renown: 292
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Review Rewards

The borderline insane denstist

Points awarded: 10

Knowledge:

Surgery x5
Intimidation x1

Magic: No magic exp

Other:
A tooth, blood, and hair without lice.
These were the ingredients chosen
for the creation of the perfect Avriel totem.
But Dentist Devin actually
received some renown from this act
renown +10
Thus, the rumor was born!
Using his Ultra-dentistry skill
Devin Thorn and Aidan
Are now known for threatening with free dental care
And insisting that you floss!
(Theme song plays)

Notes:
A fun conclusion to the fun setup from last thread. I thoroughly enjoyed Kedyr being too confused to actually resist, and I can imagine he left Devin's house rather freaked out. I think it's telling that Aidan's reaction is basically 'Oh, this is happening? Sure. Ok. Could have been worse.This is fine.' He's probably seen some weird shenanigans afoot, I imagine.

In certain circles rumors might start circulating about the free dental care, and the threatening way in which it was offered. Yet, no complaints are given about the skill of the dentist. This is reflected in your renown. 5 points for doing a (questionable but still) good deed, and 5 for actually threatening the 'customer'/'patient' into it.

Your review request is here.
Please include the following stamp to your review request:

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image/15001/medium[/img][/center]
If you have any questions, comments or concerns in regards to this review, feel free to PM.
word count: 249
Just because I shouldn't doesn't mean I won't.

Mortalborn Abilities | Die Roller | Capstones
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”