• Solo • Heatwave

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Heatwave

Ashan 104, Arc 720

On the 104th of Ashan, Devin Thorn, thief, conman extraordinaire and recently initiated Becomer returned home from university, sweating somewhat unappealingly because it was quite hot, and went to look for his roommate and friend with benefits Aidan. The slightly older man was nowhere to be seen though. He was not in the living room. He was not in the kitchen. He was not in his own room either – or in their other roommate Talieson’s room, although he wasn’t sure why Aidan should be in Talieson’s room in the first place since the bard was currently in Almund as he had been hired to play a series of concerts.

Finally, he went into the garden, thinking that Aidan might have decided to give his old hobby another try. For a while, Aidan had been quite passionate about basket weaving. After he had failed to make something that even remotely resembled a basket several times in a row, he had given up though. A few seven-trials earlier, an amnesiac Sev’ryn who had turned out to be quite a skilled basket weaver had teleported into their garden though. Perhaps that had rekindled Aidan’s interest?

When he walked through the door that connected the living room to the garden and turned around the corner, he could see that Aidan was indeed in the garden. He was not making a basket though. Instead, he was trying to erect a tent – and struggling with the various poles quite a bit. Devin just stood there for a few moments and watched him, head cocked a little to the side, because this was just too strange. Finally, he sauntered over to him and asked him,

“Why are you erecting a tent in our garden?”

A moment later, he added, because something terrible had just occurred to him, “You aren’t moving out because you are mad at me, are you? I’ve really tried to behave recently! I’ve even done the dishes this morning, and if you want to, I’ll make dinner for the two of us tonight, too!”

Aidan turned away from his disaster of a tent for a moment and looked at Devin before he told him in no uncertain terms, “Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I still have nightmares from the culinary monstrosity that you created for the Food Fayre. I’m not mad at you though”, he continued upon seeing the look on the younger man’s face.

“I’m just sweating to death inside the house. I don’t want to spend one more night in my bed, so I’ve decided to move into the garden for however long this heatwave lasts. It’s cooler outside, at least at night. I just need to keep this stupid tent from collapsing the moment that I let go of it”, he muttered and accidentally leaned against the tent a little – which caused it to collapse again. Aidan let out a loud sigh.

“You know, this is an excellent idea”, Devin proclaimed. “I could help you with your tent, and then both of us could camp in the garden! What do you think about that? We could even have a little picknick and start a campfire and so on!” he proposed, smiling brightly.

“And tomorrow, we’ll get ourselves a pool!”

word count: 561

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Heatwave

“Okay”, Aidan decided once they had put the ground cloth that he had forgotten the first time that he had tried to assemble the tent where they wanted it to be. “I’ll insert the poles while you hold the tent! Devin?” he asked the Mortalborn who was staring at something in the distance. “Devin? Can you hold the tent while I insert the poles, please?” he asked in a firmer tone of voice. He really liked the Mortalborn, but Devin had the shortest attention span of all the people that he knew!

“Why did you pull the poles out again in the first place?” Devin wanted to know as he turned around. “They were already where they were supposed to be – inside the tent! You’ve just given yourself more work!” he pointed out and eyed the long and smooth poles that were lying on the ground next to tent, furrowing his brow a bit as he did so. Once it had collapsed for the umpteenth time, Aidan had decided to disassemble it completely and start again from scratch which had been a somewhat stupid idea in his opinion.

“I don’t think that I inserted them properly”, Aidan admitted. “So, can you hold the tent, please?” he asked. Devin who could occasionally be a helpful and obedient man, contrary to popular belief, did as he was told. He didn’t like working, but on the other hand, he was really looking forward to sleeping outside rather than in his house where it was really hot. He did in fact wish that he had come up with the idea of sleeping in the garden!

He was kind of envious that Aidan had had such an idea!

Either way, once the tent finally stood, even though it looked a little lopsided, Aidan produced a bag that was filled with something that looked like oversized nails and a hammer and knelt down on the ground. “This will stabilize the tent”, he explained to the somewhat confused looking Mortalborn. “Otherwise it might unexpectedly collapse again!”

“Now”,
he said a moment later, standing in front of the tent with his hands on his hips and admiring his work. “We just need to put our sleeping bags into the tent! Devin?” he asked, noticing the frown on the younger man’s face. “What’s the matter?”

“Sleeping bags were fine when we were treasure hunting in Desnind last cycle because we didn’t have anything else”,
the Mortalborn informed him in no uncertain terms. “I won’t sleep in a measly sleeping bag when there is a better alternative though!” he continued. He was a vain priest of Delroth. He preferred to camp in style, even if he only did so in his garden! So, without further ado, he walked into the house. A few moments later, he returned, a golden blanket draped over one shoulder and a couple of equally golden and very fluffy pillows with tassels tucked under his arms.

“You can have a pillow as well”, he generously offered to Aidan. The student rolled his eyes for a moment before he laughed out loud.

word count: 523

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Approximately fifteen bits later, the two young men were sitting in the grass some distance away from their tent. Aidan had dug a little pit, retrieved a couple of rocks from his rock garden – his newest hobby after had given up on basket weaving – and arranged them in a large circle that he had then filled with chopped wood. Devin had to admit that it looked quite neat. In fact, it looked almost like a proper campfire – apart from the fact that the actual fire was still missing!

That was the reason why he produced a bit of tinder, a flintstone and a piece of steel and went to work. No matter how often he struck the piece of steel with the flintstone though, nothing happened. There was not even a little bit of smoke or a tiny spark. Finally, he proclaimed, a look of utter frustration on his face, “I think this thing is broken!”

“Maybe you just did it wrong”, Aidan suggested which earned him a murderous and kind of intimidating glare from the Mortalborn. In his opinion, Devin never did anything wrong. He was perfect, and he excelled at everything, thank you very much. If something didn’t go as planned, it was never his fault!

“Maybe setting up a campfire was a bad idea anyway”, he muttered a moment later. “I mean, roasting meat over a campfire is fun and romantic and so on, but a fire is hot, and it’s already too hot, and the grass is dry, so we might accidentally have set the garden on fire!”

“I don’t want to set my garden on fire though! A burnt garden is ugly!”
he decided.

“Maybe we shouldn’t start a campfire then”, Aidan agreed, mildly surprised by the fact that Devin had actually said something so reasonable, something that even he hadn’t thought of (even though Devin seemed to be more concerned with how his garden might look after a fire than anything else). “We still have some leftovers in the kitchen, and there should be some wine left as well. I think that will be enough!”

“I won’t eat leftovers after I’ve gone through all the work of setting this tent here up!”
Devin retorted. “We’ll get something from the restaurant down the street. I want to dine in style!”

That was exactly what they did. Once they finally had their food, just as the sun was about to set, they sat on a blanket in front of their tent that was filled with golden pillows, eating a delicious and typically Scalveen meal, smiling and looking absolutely content.

Aidan had to admit that he was quite happy that Devin had refused to eat leftovers. This here was so much better, and the golden pillows looked much softer than the sleeping bags they had brought with them from Desnind!

Maybe, he thought, it was about time that he allowed a little bit of luxury into his own life!
word count: 500

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Azrael
Profession: Treasure hunter
Renown: 150
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

☠ Heatwave ☠

☠ ======== ☠ ======== ☠ ======== ☠ ======== ☠

Points awarded: 10

Knowledge: Field Craft x5
Detection x1

Renown: + 5 for helping a friend pitch a tent.

Injuries: None.

Skill Play: Skills played too level.

Notes: I think that this was a fun idea to beat the heat wave and I really enjoyed the dynamic between Aidan and Devin. Poor Devin, thinking his best friend was going to abandon him to live in the garden. Devin refusing to sleep on a sleeping bag was funny and I think Delroth would be proud of his bedding choice. I enjoyed how Devin covered up his inability to start a fire and outright refused to eat the dirty remnants of food from days gone by. This was a fun little scene for these two friends with benefits.

Your review request is Link here

Please include the following stamp to your review request:

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=7932[/img][/center]
word count: 157

Sesser Mark

• Transformer's Toolbox [Minor]: Azrael can make superficial changes to his appearance (hair, nails, skin, eye, and voice.)
  • Ever Alluring I: Azrael seems to endure harsh conditions better than others and everyone, despite sexual orientation, is just a bit curious what he would be like in bed.

Spirit Impact

• Darksight: Azrael's perception of light and dark have been flipped, allowing him to see more clearly in an absence of light than in the day.
  • Crow's Embla: So long as he doesn't mention proper names of people, either his own or that of others, he will be able to fit into any setting that he visits in Melrath. Once he uses a proper name of any person (even if it's made up) within another's hearing range, the effect is null until the next trial.

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”